Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV policies are messy

Options
  • 27-03-2012 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭

hi any game i buy n hmv is unsealed and have an issue with a game i bought last friday for family members bday..

bought resi evil racoon city, game was taken out of plastic sleeve by staff member and put into box i paid and left, so bros bday was today i hand him game and he says i dont want that as reviews are terrible and either way i dont like horror games..

rang hmv and said ok wanna return this as bro doesnt want it, i got the reply is it still sealed to which i replied no you took it out of plastic sleeve instore not me i bought this and my bro doesnt want it so need to return it.. i was then told if its not sealed we will not return it...

thats bollox tbh bad form altogether by hmv if im honest...

you can see my xbl details as linked and i did not play that game.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Just go in with the receipt and ask for credit refund and pick your brother another game. More than likely the staff member working will look at the receipt, see the date and see that the disc is in perfect condition and let you return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

They should refund you if the Cd is in pristine condition and with the recipt.

Also, tell them not to take it out of the plastic next time!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

hi any game i buy n hmv is unsealed and have an issue with a game i bought last friday for family members bday..

bought resi evil racoon city, game was taken out of plastic sleeve by staff member and put into box i paid and left, so bros bday was today i hand him game and he says i dont want that as reviews are terrible and either way i dont like horror games..

rang hmv and said ok wanna return this as bro doesnt want it, i got the reply is it still sealed to which i replied no you took it out of plastic sleeve instore not me i bought this and my bro doesnt want it so need to return it.. i was then told if its not sealed we will not return it...

thats bollox tbh bad form altogether by hmv if im honest...

you can see my xbl details as linked and i did not play that game.....

Just so you know, HMV, GAME, Gamestop, Harvey Norman or any other retailer you care to name do not have to take back the game(unless it's faulty) - sealed or not.
    It's not their fault that your brother does not like the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Its down to the staff member whether or not they take the game back. 'I don't like it' is not a solid reason for us refunding you, in credit or cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The issue is taking games out of packaging cloud maybe HMV WILL MEET SAME FATE AS GAME WITH THAT ATTITUDE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The issue is taking games out of packaging cloud maybe HMV WILL MEET SAME FATE AS GAME WITH THAT ATTITUDE

Even if the game was sealed, they still don't have to take it back, but I agree they can't open games, then refuse to take them back when they will accept back sealed units. GAME actually put a sticker on unsealed games and would take back if the sticker wasn't broken and it wasn't the type of sticker that could be taken off and reapplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When in the shop, be polite and ask nicely.

Or they can ask is the game broken, and when you say no and/or check the game if you lie, they can say as there's nothing wrong with the game and they're not going to refund you, as by law they don't have to.

chrislad wrote: »
    Even if the game was sealed, they still don't have to take it back, but I agree they can't open games, then refuse to take them back when they will accept back sealed units. GAME actually put a sticker on unsealed games and would take back if the sticker wasn't broken and it wasn't the type of sticker that could be taken off and reapplied.

I remember those stickers they were a very good idea as stopped people from acting the bollix!

I thought u had a week to return an item to store?? If that's the case I won't be buying in hmv again

GameStop you just recruited a new customer

the_syco wrote: »
    When in the shop, be polite and ask nicely.

Or they can ask is the game broken, and when you say no and/or check the game if you lie, they can say as there's nothing wrong with the game and they're not going to refund you, as by law they don't have to.

I don't want a refund I just want the value of the game in store credit or pick another game!!

I was super polite but
    Guy I spoke with was quite abrupt really

Do you buy in hmv??? Do we not have the right to receive game sealed why do they open all of the games like that?? Silly really tbh

• Advertisement

Do you buy in hmv??? Do we not have the right to receive game sealed why do they open all of the games like that?? Silly really tbh

I'm assuming you've contacted HMV HQ to ask them about this policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

HMV, GAME and a lot of other retailers have been removing the inserts of games for years. They do this because in a shop full of €10-€20 CDs and DVDs, games are high pripority items, especially for thieves.

Just bring in the game and receipt, once they see it's in mint condition and all you want is an exchange/ credit I'd say you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No, I don't buy in HMV, as I dislike not seeing if they put the correct disc in the box, that I'm buying for someone as a present. I remember getting the Valve Orange Box a few years ago in HMV, and opening the box there and then to ensure that the correct disc was in the box. Luckily the correct disc was in the box, but it's a lousy way of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Brother was kind of ungrateful tbh. If I were him I would have just said thanks. As a previous poster said they are under no obligation to do anything for you but if you go in and are friendly, they might give you store credit if you get a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It says on their website that their returns policy is that they will refund an unwanted gift if returned within 21 days. But it does say that the product must be in it's original packaging, which they may use as an excuse not to accept the return.

In that case, scratch the disc, return it as damaged and try and stop them from removing the packaging from the replacement. Then once they hand it over, hand it back saying you want to return an unwanted gift. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

The last game I bought in hmv was Skyrim (which I'm gonna try to trade in today ... possibly for Raccoon City!!), the box itself was unsealed, but the game itself was still in the plastic inside the box (with the manual etc). Did the guy in the store take it out of that packaging??

Hygro wrote: »
    The last game I bought in hmv was Skyrim (which I'm gonna try to trade in today ... possibly for Raccoon City!!), the box itself was unsealed, but the game itself was still in the plastic inside the box (with the manual etc). Did the guy in the store take it out of that packaging??

Girl in Liffey valley did! Very bad practice isn't it?? Like new should be new and sealed especially with all dlc codes etc

Girl in Liffey valley did! Very bad practice isn't it?? Like new should be new and sealed especially with all dlc codes etc

Jesus, that's pretty bad alright, I'd have no qualms about kicking up a huge fuss about that in the store. Make a scene even if that's what it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Then why did you let her do it? Surely if you were unhappy with how you were receiving the game you would have said something?

Anyway, as others have mentioned change of mind does not entitle you to return the game. HMV may offer a goodwill credit return but they don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Have you actually gone into the shop instead of just asking over the phone?

Either way I think it would be worse practice to leave a €50 game on the shelf that will almost certainly be targeted by thieves...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If you go into the store, try a different store if you like, and be extremely polite, chances are you'll get credit. I wouldn't give a refund either if someone was talking to me like ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Every store does this, they advertise the game on the shelve out on the floor and had a supply of sealed games behind the counter. Once all sealed copies are sold they use the boxes on the floor.

The discs are still new, the only difference is there is no plastic wrap on the box. And as has been mentioned, legally they can refuse a refund, change of mind is not enough reason for a return. Anything they do will be out of goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I worked for HMV for years and there was never an issue with returning games that werent sealed, as long as it had the receipt. what we usually did was open 4-6 of them to have the boxes on the shelf and keep the games in bags with the manuals behind the counter, and the remaining stock stacked up someplace still sealed in the plastic, we used them first and it spared us having to bag more games.

Just bring it in and ask to return it as its unwanted, they'll probably do it without batting an eyelid, HMV are pretty lenient when it comes to returns.

cloud493 wrote: »
    If you go into the store, try a different store if you like, and be extremely polite, chances are you'll get credit. I wouldn't give a refund either if someone was talking to me like ****.

Who was speaking to someone like they were ****?? Remember us as customers pay hmvs wages lad, I was not rude to anyone so don't make out like I was

Just rang the shop have not called in yet!!

To be fair I wasn't rude to anyone on phone or in store it's very annoying having that thrown here by cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

GameStop you just recruited a new customer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71951177

Haven't you already sworn off Gamestop though...!?

You should have stopped them at point of sale if you were that worried about the practice. You'll probably get a credit refund anyway if you bring it in store but you know for next time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71951177

Haven't you already sworn off Gamestop though...!?

You should have stopped them at point of sale if you were that worried about the practice. You'll probably get a credit refund anyway if you bring it in store but you know for next time.

As a consumer yes GameStop pissed in my face before but I received a full apology from that store about 2 weeks later they seen the thread and knew they were wrong, on that basis I accepted the apology and move on..

Since game are gone choices are limited for bricks and mortar stores!!!

Btw was on to another store asked what story was and guy could only presume bad day for that staff member or pms lol so guy in other store said come in no problems and we will return the game no issues whatsoever thank god lol

Alls well that ends well I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

krudler wrote: »
    I worked for HMV for years and there was never an issue with returning games that werent sealed, as long as it had the receipt. what we usually did was open 4-6 of them to have the boxes on the shelf and keep the games in bags with the manuals behind the counter, and the remaining stock stacked up someplace still sealed in the plastic, we used them first and it spared us having to bag more games.

Just bring it in and ask to return it as its unwanted, they'll probably do it without batting an eyelid, HMV are pretty lenient when it comes to returns.

Exactly the same when I worked in Xtra-Vision.

If some of the boxes are not used for display on the shop floor than they have no box to advertise on the shop floor.

I bought Mass Effect 3 from HMV Grafton last week and had to use the box I had brought up to the counter from the shelve.

Would also like a sealed copy but just check the disk condition and in a few days you'll never know the difference.

EDIT: They clearly do this as common practic OP so I'd get your ass back there and get an exchange in person.

FYI: My ME3 box had a "This box is empty" sticker on it.

I just bought this game, from HMV ... and it's sealed tighter than a nuns you know what!

I was waiting to see what they were gonna do with the game after what you had posted about Dark Knight.

• Advertisement

Hygro wrote: »
    I just bought this game, from HMV ... and it's sealed tighter than a nuns you know what!

I was waiting to see what they were gonna do with the game after what you had posted about Dark Knight.

What I was half thinking was why would they open a new game like they have store rooms and security systems in place a tagging system works why are games any different than other box sets etc??

Advertisement