Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Reich Collecting Community Ireland

Options
  • 27-03-2012 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hello Collectors,

I am new to boards.ie having only joined this forum today. The date is 27th March 2012. This is just a short introduction until I get more familiar with the forum and the members here.

I collect Third Reich Luftwaffe historical items. If you are a Third Reich collector it would be great if you could post in this thread. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Hello Lw & welcome to boards !

I collect mostly photographs and photo albums, many of which I research & then put online :

www.militaria-archive.com

I've had a few bits and pieces like helmets, edged weapons, medals and so on but never uniforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

Morlar wrote: »
    Hello Lw & welcome to boards !

I collect mostly photographs and photo albums, many of which I research & then put online :

www.militaria-archive.com

I've had a few bits and pieces like helmets, edged weapons, medals and so on but never uniforms.

Hi Morlar,

I have looked through your website above before. :) I also was looking through your other website yesterday it had photographs of the Russian front. POW camp etc. It was a good thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

Hey Luftwaffe,

I used to pick up a few of the general and Naval awards and badges before I started to focus on Luftwaffe Flight clasps.

Recently started to collect imperial medal bars to take a break from TR stuff. At some stage however, I'm going to return to collecting the flight clasps.

Here's what I've got so far, long way to go yet!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72937397

Jagdtiger wrote: »
    Hey Luftwaffe,

I used to pick up a few of the general and Naval awards and badges before I started to focus on Luftwaffe Flight clasps.

Recently started to collect imperial medal bars to take a break from TR stuff. At some stage however, I'm going to return to collecting the flight clasps.

Here's what I've got so far, long way to go yet!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72937397

Hi Jadgtiger,

I must say that is the best Irish collection of operational flight clasps I have seen.

I am very glad I joined boards.ie now. I have only spoken to three people so far. One of which has several historical websites for Irish people. I think these websites and forums aimed at Irish people is what is needed if the hobby is too move forward.

Would a proper military shop do well here in this country do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Luftwaffe wrote: »
    Would a proper military shop do well here in this country do you think?

Hello LW,

Welcome to the forum. I collect iron crosses exclusively (from all eras - not just TR).

As regards to the shop idea, while I would like to see one, I believe the PC brigade would have it shut down in no time at all.

Remember the hubbub about this guy in Carlingford?
    http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-14234182

Regards - Dan

Hi danpatjoe,

Thank you for the welcome and the link. I read about that Carlingford shop before briefly, very briefly. I find these PC types who go around the place sensationalising everything very backward. :p

danpatjoe is a +2 then for the shop idea. Lets see how many more are out there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I do not think a militaria shop in Ireland would have enough turnover to stay in business. There just would not be big enouigh community to have a turnover of several thousand euro per month every month. Even if it were situated centrally to attract impulse purchases, the rent would then be very high for such a location.

And since most militaria collectors search extensively, most likely they will not pay higher prices in a shop when they can order online cheaper and just pay postage. Just my opinion, but I think getting the items to Ireland and covering postage and adding profit would just price the items out of the competition.

I do not think a militaria shop in Ireland would have enough turnover to stay in business. There just would not be big enouigh community to have a turnover of several thousand euro per month every month. Even if it were situated centrally to attract impulse purchases, the rent would then be very high for such a location.

And since most militaria collectors search extensively, most likely they will not pay higher prices in a shop when they can order online cheaper and just pay postage. Just my opinion, but I think getting the items to Ireland and covering postage and adding profit would just price the items out of the competition.

I completely agree on all counts.
    But it would still be nice to be able to wander in and enjoy the eye candy! ...although I know I wouldn't pay extra in the shop for what I can get cheaper on-line.

Hi HerrSchiesse,

You make some very good points.

• Advertisement

Is everyone here a member of the MSOI and the IMCC?

The MSOI are the society who hold the Teachers Club Fair and the IMMC club holds the North Star Hotel fairs just incase anyone has not heard of the two different club / society in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fr.Jack

Hi Luftwaffe
    I collect Third Reich items not any particular category just anything that I like and that I can afford at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

I started this thread last year that may be of interest:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056336821

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Luftwaffe wrote: »
    Hello Collectors,

I am new to boards.ie having only joined this forum today. The date is 27th March 2012. This is just a short introduction until I get more familiar with the forum and the members here.

I collect Third Reich Luftwaffe historical items. If you are a Third Reich collector it would be great if you could post in this thread. :)

I collect a few items from The third Reich, but also other areas as they suit my budget more. I am wary about whom I show my collection to as people in this country can be hostile when they swastikas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Hi Luftwaffe,

I collect Third Reich militaria with a particular interest in tinnies/day badges and helmets. The recession has softened my cough a bit but even before that I was getting a bit peed off with the prices being charged and the ever increasing flood of fakes.

Hi Collectors,

Thanks to all who have who have posted and shared their collecting field. There is a wide range of different areas covered by the TR collecting community in this forum.

Keep posting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

ollaetta wrote: »
    Hi Luftwaffe,

I collect Third Reich militaria with a particular interest in tinnies/day badges and helmets. The recession has softened my cough a bit but even before that I was getting a bit peed off with the prices being charged and the ever increasing flood of fakes.

third Reich items increase in price every year. Imperial German militaria, though older is cheaper.
    tinnies are still affordable, as are Winterhilfswerk badges and figurines.
    I guess the only way to avoid the fakes is to buy from trusted dealers.
    I gather Souval produced iron crosses for collectors until the seventies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jagdmesser

I collect German and Third Reich militaria. I have a few knives, bayonets and Eisernes Kreuz. I have the Wermacht Awards.com lists of WK 2 iron cross makers, easily found on the site. I am looking an E K 2 / B H Mayer maker marked 26 to have a pair by the same maker.  Anybody seen or know of one?
    Wermacht Awards.com has a section you can buy in The militaria E- Stand at the bottom, access limited to members only. Its collectors selling to collectors. Its ok.

jagdmesser wrote: »
    ....I am looking an E K 2 / B H Mayer maker marked 26 to have a pair by the same maker.  Anybody seen or know of one?...

There were no '26' marked EK2's produced, however there are LDO marked L/18 BH Meyer EK2's out there but they are not too easy to find (and hence, rather expensive).

Regards - Dan

Just bought an EK 1 maker marked L 18. Looked good. I have an E K2 Schenkls marked 27. The E K1 turns out to be a Floch. It ticks all the boxes p5, 6 &7. If your a serious collector you must know what a Floch is, read upon it. A post war production best read up in Wehrmacht Awards.com , very first section Crosses of the Wehrmacht, 9 th down pinned Floch article. It would fool most. Gave 180, what is it worth?

• Advertisement

Just bought an EK 1 maker marked L 18. Looked good. I have an E K2 Schenkls marked 27. The E K1 turns out to be a Floch. It ticks all the boxes p5, 6 &7. If your a serious collector you must know what a Floch is, read upon it. A post war production best read up in Wehrmacht Awards.com , very first section Crosses of the Wehrmacht, 9 th down pinned Floch article. It would fool most. Gave 180, what is it worth?

Sorry to hear that and Yes, I know exactly what a 'Floch' is, and I hope you will be able to return it. 180 is a lot to lose on one of these, I see them from time to time on the fakes table of WAF's e-stand but never for that much. If you are lucky you may be able to sell it (as a fake) for €50-€70 but I would not hold out for much more than that.

Regards - Dan

Hi Danpatjoe, thank you for all the info. One more question: ½ million E K 1made in WW2.

who were the big producers

and who were the small producers hence rare?

"One more question: ½ million E K 1 made in WW2. 

who were the big producers, the main makers, the most common 

and who were the small producers, the least common makers hence rare?

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maybe sometime some will have a go at answering this one. Appreciated.[/font]

danpatjoe, 
    "There were no '26' marked EK2's produced"
    I have read that in a post in Wehrmacht Awards.com. 
    I bought an EK2 from an auction house in Illinois mm 26. Looks 100% perfect like new. I will have the Medal expert at Bangor Militaria Saturday 10 Feb, 2018  from 10 to 3, look at it and hear his opinion. That Bangor, Co Down Militaria Fair is on every 2 months and certainly worth a visit.
    jagd.

danpatjoe,
    "There were no '26' marked EK2's produced"
    I have read that in a post in Wehrmacht Awards.com.
    I bought an EK2 from an auction house in Illinois mm 26. Looks 100% perfect like new. I will have the Medal expert at Bangor Militaria Saturday 10 Feb, 2018 from 10 to 3, look at it and hear his opinion. That Bangor, Co Down Militaria Fair is on every 2 months and certainly worth a visit.
    jagd.

I would certainly like to see that, can you post some photographs?

Advertisement