Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humming noise through out the house

Options
  • 27-03-2012 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm not crazy. There is a continuous humming noise through out my house. It runs 24hr building up loudness then peaks and almost disappears to a quiet hum and then begins again after 24hr rest period. I've done it all. Turned off circuit breaker to pinpoint noise. The hum is in every room. The smaller the room such as bathroom or bedroom the louder. To me it sounds like a high frequency. Much higher then say the noise of the refrigerator motor. Kicker is out of at least 10 folks I've asked only 1 can hear - another female, in her teens. I'm getting up there in years - approaching 60 with I guess good hearing. Sometimes the noise sounds reminiscent of water running from an upstairs bathroom (if I had an upstairs). Or as when you refill a water heater. But the water, I've been told has no problems. We even emptied the water heater and refilled in case the hum was from the lines. On the electrical side it is similar to the noise that overhead lights make (the tube kind). Bottom line is the hum is driving me crazy. I can fall asleep with the noise but if it starts up when sleeping I wake. I hope someone in this area has some / any ideas other than my needing to see a psychologist. Please help. Thank you .
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is there any low voltage lighting? It may be the transformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

When the noise starts again start switching off circuit breakers one by one until you stop the noise (do not switch off RCBO or main incomer, only the "ordinary" breakers).
    Then figure our what is on that circuit and isolate each item one by one (unplug, disconect etc) until you find the culprit. Only way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

ted1 wrote: »
    Is there any low voltage lighting? It may be the transformer.

lights are probably turned off at night
    however i would suspect your doorbell transformer

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Karen29588 wrote: »
    I'm not crazy......... any ideas other than my needing to see a psychologist. Please help. Thank you .

I wouldnt think you are going crazy its a fact that some people can hear certain frequencies while others cant I personally cant be in a room that has one of those plug in sonic mouse repellers in it as they wreck my head totally.

But as for your case I had a call to an old guys house who had a similar problem,He said he could hear a loud humming noise and it was that bad he could hear it all over the house and it gave him constant head aches but just like you no-one else in the house, me included could hear it.

So after going through the process of elimination as advised above we eventually discovered it was a dimmer switch in the sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

maybe check your heating circulation pump
    some have an over-run on them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

paddymick wrote: »
    I wouldnt think you are going crazy its a fact that some people can hear certain frequencies while others cant I personally cant be in a room that has one of those plug in sonic mouse repellers in it as they wreck my head totally.

Yea i can hear them mouse repeller things as well. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 willjoe

Hi,

I hear this noise every night also in the sligo area. I never hear during the day. It's been heard all over the world but nobody has any real clue what it is. I turned of the electric one night to make it was nothing in my house but I could still hear it.. When I work away which is once / twice a month I never heard expect once while I was staying in a house outside Belleek Village in Belleek, Co Fermanagh. Google it. There's some interesting info on it. Don't worry your not nuts. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 willjoe

paddymick wrote: »

But as for your case I had a call to an old guys house who had a similar problem,He said he could hear a loud humming noise and it was that bad he could hear it all over the house and it gave him constant head aches but just like you no-one else in the house, me included could hear it.

So after going through the process of elimination as advised above we eventually discovered it was a dimmer switch in the sitting room.

This noise also cause's me headaches..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

willjoe wrote: »

I hear this noise every night also in the sligo area. I never hear during the day. It's been heard all over the world but nobody has any real clue what it is.

I think you are talking about the big world wide alien invasion that was all over u-tube lately or the USA using HAARP on us:D:D

I think the OP`s problem is a bit more simpler than that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

there has been a good easterly breeze blowing through out this good weather, maybe that is playing a tune on power lines or telephone wires coming into your house, just thought i would throw that into the mix, you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just saw the part about sounding like water, this could very Lilly be the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

An article on yesterdays Irish Examiner about this humming noise which can be heard near Beaufort in Kerry since last year and people are seemingly at their wits end with it. Its happening in other countries also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

OP this may be your problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Susangill

Can anyone help we have a constant humming noise in house and it is driving us mad we have swithched off electricity but it still keeps going and it seems worse at night.

It is getting to the stage where it is waking us up and we cant get back to sleep we got a plummer in and everything is fine there, we also got the TV ariel checked no change at this stage we are at our wits end.

We live in a semi-detached and we were just wondering if an alarm on next doors wall be causing it.
    It is just next to our bedroom but could it be vibrating through out our house my husband
    went in to ask if they could hear it but they said no, but when he was asked in to there house he could hear it too.
    Could anyone have any idea that might help thanking you in advance.

Advertisement