Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Reg Car Working in South

Options
  • 27-03-2012 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm from Northern Ireland and I recently started a new job in Dublin. The problem is I have a Northern Reg which is tax/insured and registered in the North and a UK driving Licence.

Am I liable to pay VRT here, Even If I am commuting each day?

Would this change if I had an address in the South but the car was still registered to an address in the North?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It may be frowned upon but as long as you're living in the North and commuting you're grand. Enjoy the free tolls.

If you move to the South you would have to VRT the car and reg it/ insure it/ tax it in the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It may be frowned upon but as long as you're living in the North and commuting you're grand. Enjoy the free tolls.

If you move to the South you would have to VRT the car and reg it/ insure it/ tax it in the South.

That's correct - if you didn't do that then your insurance would be invalid. All OK now though - hope the daily commute isn't too tiring!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Above two posts are completely correct, once you have proof your living in the north the southern constablery can't touch you in regards of tax, insurance, mot/nct!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

No, you can drive away on your UK Plates.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/temporary-exemption-foreign-registered.html
    3. What is meant by "State resident" and "non-resident"?

A "State resident" is a person whose normal residence is in the Republic of Ireland and a "non-resident" is anyone whose normal residence is outside the State. "Normal residence " means the place where a person usually lives (for at least 185 days each year) because of personal or occupational ties.

If a person's occupational ties are in a different country from his/her personal ties, then the country of personal ties is taken as the normal residence provided the person returns there regularly.

So as long as your ties remain in the North you can remain on UK plates for as long as you want (Provided you return there every so often)

Pretty much the same rule throughout the EU.

Advertisement