Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Derg

Options
  • 27-03-2012 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Does anyone know if you can visit Lough Derg before the Pilgram Season starts in June for a couple of hours? Like say if you were visiting Knock!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 donalabu

Aye
    you can go on a day trip in May and august and September Last more than 2 hours, you can check their web site, I go for 3 days when I go.

donalabu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Poshbinni

marybrowne wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can visit Lough Derg before the Pilgram Season starts in June for a couple of hours? Like say if you were visiting Knock!

Thanks
    Hi Mary Browne. I found your question on boards and was wondering if you found a way to get to lough derg outside of the pilgrimage season. I'm based in Dublin and am attending a course in lough derg with a friend Friday week but I can't find direct trains or buses for the day course would you be kind enough to point me in the right direction so I can find transport to and from if it's not too much trouble ? I would really appreciate your feedback. Thank you kind regards <SNIP>

Mod edit: Telephone number removed. Please use PMs for conveying contact details. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Such innocence, trying to find a train to Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

there is a direct (no airport) bus that runs from bus aras on a friday under the mcgeehan name (well i assume its still going)... think its 1 & 5. your looking at 3ish hours journey time so they coul dbe too late for you. another on a sunday, leaving Donegal town at 3, pettigo 3.20-30 area headed for dublin. I dont know after that, most route 30 buses run enniskillen, ballyshannon, donegal town and dont go through pettigo (that mcgeehan route being enniskillen, kesh pettigo, donegal town). you could ring the bus station in enniskillen to see if there is something from there to pettigo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ulsetrbus run a bus to pettigo from enniskillen
    http://www.translink.co.uk/Ulsterbus/Ulsterbus-Timetables/Ulsterbus-Service-194-Outbound/

how you get to lough derg then i dont know best bet is to contact them direct

http://www.loughderg.org/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Poshbinni

Thank you all for posting invaluable information on journeys to and from Lough Derg from Dublin. Ive had a really positive response and have since found a suitable route. For future ref I thought it helpful to anyone in the future looking to do the same and follow this recommendation which has proven to be rather successful. Train to Sligo from Connolly leave every 2 hours www.irishrail.ie bus from Sligo to Ballyshannon and a short taxi for a few miles if you are pushed for time bus eireann have a relatively good website safe travelling I trust this information is useful to fellow pilgrims.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was over there the year before we left Donegal. The shop bought some rosaries off us and I got permission to take them over in person, off season.... Had a good look round and chatted with the cleaners...

Did not like the place actually so was glad I have done that before accepting the Prior's invitation to a private personal retreat there..

Advertisement