Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perth backpacker bed crisis

Options
  • 27-03-2012 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

It's been mentioned a few times in the past but for people thinking heading to Perth in the next while it's best to be prepared.
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/13269233/backpackers-bed-crisis/
    Every single bed in Perth's hostel accommodation was booked out last Thursday night, according to popular backpacker booking website hostelworld.com.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Sure its coming into winter now, they'l all head up to Darwin and the beds will be free again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

fair play to them for advertising in stealth that Irish hostel booking website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

fair play to them for advertising in stealth that Irish hostel booking website!
    I haven't needed to use hostels so is there any truth to the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

The journalist arrived 3 hours late and no surprise then that they gave his bed away for the night. They then offered him the sofa.

I have no idea if there is a shortage in Perth.

But I suspect that the journalist arrived late on purpose on then made a carryon about them giving his bed away, stuffing up his booking before he was offered the sofa. So the journalist actually had no problems making a booking in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

ellaq wrote: »
    The journalist arrived 3 hours late and no surprise then that they gave his bed away for the night. They then offered him the sofa.

I have no idea if there is a shortage in Perth.

But I suspect that the journalist arrived late on purpose on then made a carryon about them giving his bed away, stuffing up his booking before he was offered the sofa. So the journalist actually had no problems making a booking in the first place.

Take it from me! There is a shortage! Theres far more people in Perth than there is accommodation!

It was bad enough when I got here last year, I stayed in a hostel for 3 weeks. But now they are full. I believe it's in part a knock on effect from the absolute desperation in the rental market! Due to the current economic climate and the fear in Australia of knock on effects the domestic housing market is extremely quiet! And therefore every1 is renting instead of buying or building.

I found it very difficult finding rental property and I know of others finding it impossible. Therefore alot of newcomers staying in Perth are unable to vacate hostels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We're finally full! Hopefully that means folk will head somewhere else now.

Advertisement