Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coderdojo Dublin 15

Options
  • 27-03-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭

There is a Coderdojo being set up in the area, will be running on Saturday afternoons from 1pm to 4pm up in Blanch IT.

Coderdojo is about teaching kids to learn how to write code and to have fun doing so. Atm the programs are teaching css/html and python.

http://zen.coderdojo.com/dojo/44

If you are interested in taking part as a mentor there is a meeting this Wednesday 28th March up in reception of the the F-Block at 7.30pm.

For more information
    Email CoderDojoD15@gmail.com
    Twitter @coderdojod15
    Google Group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/coderdojodublin15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Can you define ..."kids" ,please !? :)

Can you let us know what exactly "mentors" needs to be able to do !??

PS
    sorry,just seen the link... if they are over 12 they can stay alone themselves !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Each session has someone running it and going through the code up on the board usually a projector or white board and the mentors then roam being available to the kids, to trouble shoot, as they manipulate the code and hack together their own version of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What kinda stuff do they do and what level do the kids have to be at?

The session which is being set up out this way will be html/css and then some java.
    First two sessions in the which my two did was basic tweaking of a template page to do thing like change the back ground colour, text colour and text content. Then to embed images and then links.

The kids don't have to have any previous experience, just curiosity and to want to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Whats the youngest age that could attend??

• Advertisement

I've seen 7 year olds at the sessions in Dublin sitting at a laptop with one of their parents working away. There doesn't seem to be a lower age limit on any of the websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I would imagine, kids would require a basic ablity to read, some can read sooner than others.
    Also a laptop thay can bring along...

Hi,
    Any updates on this one !?

I might be able to bring 3-4 children with me,what kind of spec the laptops needs to be (i can manage the lunch bag myself :) )

Also,if you need any IT assistance,please let me know,my pleasure in helping you !

Rgds

The last update on the mailing list was this.
    Coder Dojo is coming to Dublin 15. Coder Dojo is a new, innovative
    > and free youth computer coding club for boys and girls ages 10-18.
    > Enrollment for interested kids will start after Easter with the 1st
    > Dojo taking place on 21st April at the Blanchardstown IT. Enrollment details will be communicated to interested parties.
    Email CoderDojoD15@gmail.com

Booking for the first session which is this Saturday is up.
    http://zen.coderdojo.com/dojo/44

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Done booking for two,came as a single email,i hope is ok.
    As i said in the previous post,if you need help setting up or supervising students IT-wise,please let me know.

rolion I am not one of the people organizing it, just spreading the word.
    You'd be best of emailing your offer to them directly.

I should be up there as a mentor on Saturday, was talking to a lecturer from ITB today.

Looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Eola

Is it coming back in September this year? Am I right and it is necessary to book places in advance? I wonder if classes are free or some fee is applied?

The classes are free but you do have to book places.
    No word yet about September.

New leaders are needed to keep coderdojo D15 up and running.
    ITB are happy to host the dojo and there are mentors willing to work with the kids
    but people are needed to take on the running of the dojo with a few others.

Hopefully this will be sorted out and it will go back to 40 kids learning to code on Saturday mornings.

If you want more info or to get involved please email CoderDojoD15@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

What was the problem there?

Why do these things seem like they are going on with no publicity. I guess this is why the dojo needs someone.

My son is mildly autistic but really great with code. He wasn't able for all the subjects in L Cert but is learning in Colaiste Dhulaigh. He's a real example of "is he a mentor, or is he a kid?"

All the dojos are set up by volunteers the two people who took on the leadership role and set up the the Dublin15 one, due to changes in personal circumstance can't give the time needed and so are asking for others to take it on.

There were over 40 kids taking part up in ITB so hopefully there will be volunteers enough to keep it running.

The meeting to plan for the next year of CoderdojoD15 is happening this evening,
    6:30pm up at ITB, meeting at reception and then going to the college canteen.

http://www.eventbrite.ie/event/4417725536/rss?ebtv=C

It's back up and running, times have been changed to earlier in the day to from 10:00 to 12:00.
    CoderDojo in Institute of Technology Blanchardstown, Dublin 15. You can choose from one of two sessions. The Scratch session is for beginners whilst the HTML/Java is for more advanced children who have previously attended CoderDojo sessions or acquired a knowledge of these languages.

A laptop/MacBook is compulsory for each child. Please note an IPAD is not suitable. No admittance without a laptop/MacBook

If you are under 12, a parent must remain on the premises of ITB and preferably somewhere we can find them easily.

Min age for this event is nine years.

We will take a short break, so bring a sandwich in case you get hungry!

• Advertisement

already fully booked !??

The scratch session isn't.

Advertisement