Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huge number of jobs around

• 27-03-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else noticing that there are a huge number of low-level jobs now on offer?

Am seeing 'help wanted' signs all over the place - does anyone know why there is a sudden glut of entry-level jobs?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

students finishing up for the year and moving back home/ doing exams probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Economic immigrants going home as the Baltic states/Poland's economies continue to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Anyone else noticing that there are a huge number of low-level jobs now on offer?

That's the problem. They're all low level and even jobs that aren't low level, are offering low level wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm sure a lot of dolees are happy at the prospect of honest work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭tigger123

I've definitely noticed this in the windows of bars and restaurants around town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

biko wrote: »

Are you kidding me? Anyone who is "happy" at the prospect of working on a minimum wage needs a firm knock on the head. What sort of dopey pleb attitude is that. jesus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Shhhh don't scare the jobs away.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Smyth wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? Anyone who is "happy" at the prospect of working on a minimum wage needs a firm knock on the head. What sort of dopey pleb attitude is that. jesus...

YEAH! they should be MUCH happier being on the dole!!!

minimum wage here is way too generous compared to elsewhere, they should get off their backsides and work.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

They've been there for years because the employers are too stubborn to actually reply to anyone without 10+ years experience who will work for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Not everyone is qualified to work above minimum wage and there are a shít load of school leavers on the dole that never went to college and couldn't find work. I know I was happy to work minimum wage when I was 18 or so. Anyways my dopey pleb attitude lead me to a brilliant salary and dream job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Well I pay for peoples dole and I say take the damm job!! People should not be given a choice to stay on the dole if there are jobs available.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Not everyone is qualified to work above minimum wage and there are a shít load of school leavers on the dole that never went to college and couldn't find work. I know I was happy to work minimum wage when I was 18 or so. Anyways my dopey pleb attitude lead me to a brilliant salary and dream job.

Anyone who is happy working on that salary is an idiot. Maybe if you're under 18 or have absolutely no skill whatsoever. Even then. To be content with it. **** me. You're scraping a living.

I'm not saying people shouldn't work (if you'd read the bloody post), but **** me. Aspire to something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Oh for the love of god.

There being a lot of entry level jobs is a good thing I would have thought but as always, this is going to turn into one of those threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

They've been there for years because the employers are too stubborn to actually reply to anyone without 10+ years experience who will work for free.

No, these are all new, and several of them have things like "retail experience preferable" - I don't think you are correct.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

No, these are all new, and several of them have things like "retail experience preferable" - I don't think you are correct.

Well all I know is that I've gone all over dublin every week looking for work for the last 2.5 years or so, and have largely seen the same signs in the same shops every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

How come employers aren't willing to train staff anymore? Any retail/food service job I applied for recently had "experience essential" in the job listing. Surely it doesn't take very long to teach someone how to put chips into a bag/scan and bag someone's shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd rather be on minimum wage than on the dole as I just couldn't handle the boredom and lack of structure. I'd obviously look for a better job the whole time though - and my chances would be better while already in employment. It's not that I'd be "happy" to get the minimum wage but I'd just prefer it to not having anything to do.

But to those who go on about minimum wage and benefits being so generous here - cost of living is why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Juicyfruit wrote: »
    Oh for the love of god.

There being a lot of entry level jobs is a good thing I would have thought but as always, this is going to turn into one of those threads.

Even if a thread has nothing to do with bankers, politicians, the dole and so on, it will always be turned into that. The thread about yr man who was killed (Can't remember the name off the top of my head), how his family is leaving the country, that thread turned into one about the legalisation of drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Anyone who is happy working on that salary is an idiot. Maybe if you're under 18 or have absolutely no skill whatsoever. Even then. To be content with it. **** me. You're scraping a living.

I'm not saying people shouldn't work (if you'd read the bloody post), but **** me. Aspire to something better.

Being happy working a 9-5 week, without stress, paperwork, deadlines or being part of a dog eat dog office politics system doesn't make people idiots.

I know plenty of people doing minimum wage work who are happy in their jobs. If you think those jobs are worthless, don't do them. Stick to doing whatever it is you're doing and stop judging others for their choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

phasers wrote: »
    How come employers aren't willing to train staff anymore? Any retail/food service job I applied for recently had "experience essential" in the job listing. Surely it doesn't take very long to teach someone how to put chips into a bag/scan and bag someone's shopping?
    Because why should they train when they can get an experienced person "off the shelf" for the same money?

"Experience required" on low-level jobs is a filter, it's a way of limiting the number of applications an employer gets. It has little to do with whether experience is actually required for the job. You even see it now on graduate positions - positions designed for people straight out of university, which is insane. In some degree programmes you can try and get relevant work experience, but employers haven't been offering much work experience over the last few years, which means that many graduates are not going to find work in their chosen fields. And you wonder why the Class of 2012 are already booking their flights?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

whereabouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

In before Irish people think they are too good for these jobs

I did these ****ty jobs during the boom, hotel porter mainly

And after five years experience it was still difficult to get above minimum wage

Take the job but don't ever kid yourself that your employer cares about you

Do it and move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Am seeing 'help wanted' signs all over the place - does anyone know why there is a sudden glut of entry-level jobs?

Haven't seen them anywhere round here OP. Two business closing this week. Any links or pics?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've seen Munchies cafe advertising for staff, a few cafes/restaurants in the Stephen's Green area advertising for waiting staff etc, and a few signs in newsagents around DUblin. It's nice to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Pardon my ignorance.

What is the minimum wage in Ireland??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Pardon my ignorance.

What is the minimum wage in Ireland??
    €8.65 p/h

talkinyite wrote: »
    whereabouts?
    Dooblin dontchaknow
    Whenever a poster omits to post their location it's always Dooblin.

Who in their right mind would post something like "I saw this today, did you see it too?" in After Hours and refer to Belmullet or Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Dooblin dontchaknow
    Whenever a poster omits to post their location it's always Dooblin.

Who in their right mind would post something like "I saw this today, did you see it too?" in After Hours and refer to Belmullet or Waterford?

C'mon biko. We all know it's nothing but savagery and sheep past the M50. There's nothing of note to see.

Where did the days go when you worked the shit job to pay your dues, get some experience and keep a lookout for something better in the meantime? Being on the dole must suck but choosing to be on the dole because you're better than minimum wage will make you unemployable for the rest of your life.

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Anyone that says that you may as well be on the dole as on minimum wage has no idea what they're talking about. My job is just above minimum wage, €9ph, but it's about double what I was getting on the dole.

Take the job and it'll tide you over while you look for something better.

Indeed, I've had some ****ty jobs. But at least they made me the prick I am today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The impression i get is that the jobs market in general is picking up a bit. I had a lot of friends lose their jobs 2-3 years ago and it took months of them searching to find work. A lot of them got 6 or 12 month contracts which then got extended and finally ran out about a month ago. 4 of my friends were back on the dole last month and 3 of them are now back in jobs...purely anecdotal but hopefully a sign of improvement in the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

there may be a lot of those jobs in dublin, but there definitely isn't in the northwest. i've been trying to get work in the sligo/donegal area for months but there isn't even jobs to apply for, and i have experience in lots of customer service roles from waiting tables to call centres, i've done some graphic design/computer stuff and a fas course in web design. but i can't get anything. i swear in ireland it seems most people get jobs through being somebody's brother in law, not from submitting cv's.

i have done crap jobs for minimum wage before, i do think i deserve better than that but would still take it rather than be on the dole. but i dunno how you would survive on min wage in dublin. i dunno how people survive on the dole there either. but i would take nearly any job just to have something to get up for.

i hope things turn around over here soon. i would actually like to move to dublin but i can't even save the money to relocate because by the time i pay rent and bills i have just enough to buy food/basic hygiene items.

i've even applied for internships and been turned down, even though i've just done a fas course directly related to the internship advertised. got a rejection email today for one i applied for that said 'we have already chosen our intern'. dunno how that is possible, i applied the same day the internship appeared on the fas website, never even got an interview.

sorry, self pitying rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Indeed, I've had some ****ty jobs.
    But at least they made me the prick I am today.

Being bitchy, about some one job circumstances, and being prick are two VERY different things...

clearly you haven't figured them out... But theres a glimmer of hope that some people on boards might actually know what I'm talking about!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

summerskin wrote: »
    YEAH! they should be MUCH happier being on the dole!!!

minimum wage here is way too generous compared to elsewhere, they should get off their backsides and work.
    you could surely live on minimum wage so,here's a dandy idea,you should take minimum wage home every week and donate the rest to a charity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Snowie wrote: »
    Being bitchy, about some one job circumstances, and being prick are two VERY different things...

clearly you haven't figured them out... But theres a glimmer of hope that some people on boards might actually know what I'm talking about!

He was being sarcastic I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

A mate recently started working in a laptop repair place and mentioned there was another person working there too. When I heard the prices I couldn't understand how the place could possibly keep itself going. Then I remembered they're not paying anyone in the place.

I do wonder if there's a few more menial jobs available now as a lot of the piss-taking spots have moved to internships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

€8.65 p/h

WTF? €8.65 p/h is the minimum wage? I honestly thought it was lower.

My brother is going to kill his boss! He's not getting near €346 a week. Fecker has him working in a meat freezer all day with sub-standard protective clothing and he's not even getting minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

My brother is going to kill his boss! He's not getting near €346 a week. Fecker has him working in a meat freezer all day with sub-standard protective clothing and he's not even getting minimum wage.

What age is he? If he's over 18 report the boss to revenue, **** that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Minimum wage isn't the rate at which anybody doing any job must get paid. See here for who it applies to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Minimum wage isn't the rate at which anybody doing any job must get paid. See here for who it applies to.

Thanks for that. My brother is over 18 and this is the only job he has ever had (employed for the last 19 months.) So I think he should qualify, and the pay should be backdated, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if my brother already knows, but is afraid to lose his job if he complains. He is heavily in debt so can't afford to lose this job.
    Nothing to stop it being reported anonymously though...

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

Thanks for that. My brother is over 18 and this is the only job he has ever had (employed for the last 19 months.) So I think he should qualify, and the pay should be backdated, right?

I wouldn't be surprised if my brother already knows, but is afraid to lose his job if he complains. He is heavily in debt so can't afford to lose this job.
    Nothing to stop it being reported anonymously though...

No see link above:

• An employee who is in the first year of employment since the age of 18 is entitled to €6.92 per hour (80% of minimum wage)
    • An employee who is in the second year of employment since the date of first employment over the age of 18 is entitled to €7.79 per hour (90% of the minimum wage)
    if its his first job then for the first 2 years he isn't on full minimum yet.
    I know i work 12 hour nights for 6.92 not wonder why employees hire feckless youngin's ? They can't afford not to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

wow, these employers must be real fussy jerks seeing as how so many people would gladly take the jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Entry level job Y U NO let me work without 3 years experience.

thanks pockets, pretty much what I would've posted.

You'd be amazed by how many people think its automatically €8.65 once you turn 18.

most think it's 8.65 even before you turn 18, I suppose it's the name 'minimum wage' confusing people though.

I've nothing against the law as i think it gives students and young people an edge at getting experience but i would of thought it would be against EU and equality ageism laws ?

the hours under 18s and under 17s can work are restricted though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

Yes, have noticed that as well. As an unemployed person, I wouldn't even consider one of these ****e bar / resteurant jobs. Low money and constant grief from customers / superiors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement