Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huge number of jobs around

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

pockets3d wrote: »
    You'd be amazed by how many people think its automatically €8.65 once you turn 18.

Bit of a misnomer though eh? :pac: Anyone I know who worked in minimum wage type jobs got the 8.65 straightaway though, barring those working for a family member or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Where are these jobs!??? Care to enlighten me? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

doovdela wrote: »
    Where are these jobs!??? Care to enlighten me? :/

I was wondering too, need to start applying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I just never got the whole " Must have 2 years + experience" in terms of a restaurant, bar or other service jobs. I mean, surely, if you had 6 months experience, you'd have got the gig by then, and if not then you must be fairly slow/ your employer fairly thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

eth0 wrote: »
    I was wondering too, need to start applying

Maybe your time is better served on sites other than boards.ie then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I just never got the whole " Must have 2 years + experience" in terms of a restaurant, bar or other service jobs. I mean, surely, if you had 6 months experience, you'd have got the gig by then, and if not then you must be fairly slow/ your employer fairly thick.

It's not always just for the experience, but the ability to hold down work without getting the sack that is appealing for employers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mikemac1 wrote: »
    In before Irish people think they are too good for these jobs
    Often said by people in cushy, well-paid jobs who wouldn't do such work in a fit.
    The 2 years + thing is probably a development since the recession - employers can afford to be choosy and only hire really top notch people.

Dudess wrote: »
    Often said by people in cushy, well-paid jobs who wouldn't do such work in a fit.

The 2 years + thing is probably a development since the recession - employers can afford to be choosy and only hire really top notch people.

No often said by people who have gotten off their asses and actually gone and gotten qualified or obtained the relevant work experience. It all stems down to ones drive and determination. Not other factors are as key as them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Could we use this thread to post these places that are looking?? I havent seen these adds, must have my blinkers on!

*removes blinkers*

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote: »
    It's not always just for the experience, but the ability to hold down work without getting the sack that is appealing for employers.

I think that's a little presumptuous, they can check references if that's their concern.

I just think that some places looking for 2 years plus experience is a bit much, I've seen some looking for 5 years before... people leave jobs as well, for various reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    Maybe your time is better served on sites other than boards.ie then?

Welcome to the world of tabbed browsing...

guitarzero wrote: »
    Could we use this thread to post these places that are looking?? I havent seen these adds, must have my blinkers on!

*removes blinkers*

Already been done somewhere on here. Im sure if your unemployed you have more than enough time to go find it.

Does tabbed browsing divide time too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

They took our jeeerrrbs

If i were you mate, I'd be spending more time on my studies in the hope of actually completing a college course in this lifetime, instead of trying to be a cheeky prick on here yea?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Smyth wrote: »
    Anyone who is happy working on that salary is an idiot. Maybe if you're under 18 or have absolutely no skill whatsoever. Even then. To be content with it. **** me. You're scraping a living.

I'm not saying people shouldn't work (if you'd read the bloody post), but **** me. Aspire to something better.

What a pompous, elitist, idiotic post.

Did you not think that maybe people would jump at the chance at having a reason to get up in the morning, to feel good about themselves, to give themselves some self-worth?

It's damn difficult to "aspire to something better" when you can't afford college, and can't get in the door of a company so that you can actually have the chance to aspire to something better.

Me thinks you're in a comfortable position and had access to funding for college etc.

Besides all that, are you suggesting that if people have the choice between the dole and minimum wage work, that they should opt for the dole? I don't think that anyone, even someone with as simplistic a view as you, think that one should opt for the dole.

However, for many that's the only choice they have. And one that they'd be grateful for if the did have it. And rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Already been done somewhere on here. Im sure if your unemployed you have more than enough time to go find it.

Oh be nice.

Oh be nice.
    Ha only because you asked nicely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

24 hours in a day. More than enough time to find a job, read random crap on Boards and do some baking, if you're that way inclined.

I don't understand why people create issues when there are none.

*removes blinkers*
    There's a job posting thread in the Dublin City Forum as well as the Dublin South forum, if not, then you might want to check your relevant regional forum, they might have had a thread there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Todays news is "Retail Sales Continue Decline"
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0328/breaking22.html

You sure they are still hiring despite the sector taking a hammering? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

gurramok wrote: »

You sure they are still hiring despite the sector taking a hammering? :confused:

Might have something to do with every household having €100 less to spend in shops this month...

If the government stopped taking so much money out the average persons pocket in taxes, people would be able to spend more in shops, who could then hire more staff due to increased revenue/profits, which in turn would increase tax revenue from companies/employees and reduce social welfare payments.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

If i were you mate, I'd be spending more time on my studies in the hope of actually completing a college course in this lifetime, instead of trying to be a cheeky prick on here yea?

How about you practice what you preach and stop being the cheeky prick?

Yakult wrote: »
    How about you practice what you preach and stop being the cheeky prick?

How about you look at his comment before that, making a cheeky swipe without actually having anything decent to say about the actual conversation. I was responding to a cheeky comment, not making one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

gurramok wrote: »

They should raise the VAT a bit more. Will do retail a world of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

I don't actually get to go around shops in town much anymore but I haven't seen any of these signs the times I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

kraggy wrote: »
    What a pompous, elitist, idiotic post.....
    Me thinks you're in a comfortable position and had access to funding for college etc.

I think the opposite, that it was written by someone who is on the dole. Most people who do work know the value of working, and although might moan and complain about their jobs, are happy to be doing something and getting paid.

The whole "sher thats sh1te money" attitude comes from people who are being given something for nothing. Realative to that, I guess it is sh1te money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the problem is that the gap between the dole (plus rent allowance and all the other perks) and minimum wages isnt big enough to incentivise people to take a job at minimum wage.
    knock another €20 off the dole and you'll see these jobs being filled quick enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

the problem is that the gap between the dole (plus rent allowance and all the other perks) and minimum wages isnt big enough to incentivise people to take a job at minimum wage.
    knock another €20 off the dole and you'll see these jobs being filled quick enough

not everybody who's on the dole qualifies for rent supplement (and all the other perks everyone seems to assume). and just a reminder that the dole used to be 204, it's now 188, which is a drop of 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

not everybody who's on the dole qualifies for rent supplement (and all the other perks everyone seems to assume). and just a reminder that the dole used to be 204, it's now 188, which is a drop of 16.

€188 is a lot of money. People seem to think that a good standard of living is a moral entitlement. It shouldn't be. You should be given enough to survive. That's what welfare should be. Survival. Anything more is a perk and should be earned.

• Advertisement

token101 wrote: »
    €188 is a lot of money. People seem to think that a good standard of living is a moral entitlement. It shouldn't be. You should be given enough to survive. That's what welfare should be. Survival. Anything more is a perk and should be earned.

I didn't give an opinion in the post you quoted on whether the dole was enough or too much. you seem to have read it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Those jobs have been there ages, but for things like minimum wage waitressing, they want you to have 2+ years experience. To work in a tiny cafe you need experience as a barista. I handed my CV into a place before the Summer started last year, they were looking for deli staff. The sign was still there at the end of the Summer (though was changed to say experience required). I mean, loads of people must've been handing in CVs, most people could do the work, and yet they don't take people on.
    I would be happy to get a Summer job with minimum wage, but I imagine people who have 2+ years experience would be hoping for a little more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Made redundant a month ago 3 interviews 3 job offers and doubled my income within a week. So glad I changed from the building industry into IT. Major demand in IT for all levels.

Noticed a few shops today in Dublin had signs up too.

At the same time I have firends who have been out of work for a while or have taken low paying jobs.

Leason for kids out there is simply do not slide by and keep educating yourself no matter what. Doesn't mean college anymore very easy to learn technical roles online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

The dole pays too well....

Give me the choice between working a minimum wage job for ~40 hours per week or sitting on my ass and having all the free time in the world....I'd take the dole.

In a heartbeat. I'm not saying it's right, but it's the *smart* thing to do.

If you aspire to a higher paying job; you'd be way better off sitting on the dole and building a skillset in another industry (like IT, for example). Hell, I'd sit on the dole and write a book, or write software, or do odd-jobs 'tax-free', under the table. I could build up an impressive portfolio and later, turn it into a legit business.

If you don't aspire to anything; you can pay your rent and get drunk each weekend. The amount of extra money you get for your hours worked amounts to an insignificant amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

There really isn't...at all. I have over 3 years experience in retail and can't find a job anywhere! I live in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

EdenHazard wrote: »
    There really isn't...at all. I have over 3 years experience in retail and can't find a job anywhere! I live in Dublin.

Try London, I hear Arsenal might have some work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Jobbridge graduate internship must be winding down so.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

kraggy wrote: »
    What a pompous, elitist, idiotic post.

Did you not think that maybe people would jump at the chance at having a reason to get up in the morning, to feel good about themselves, to give themselves some self-worth?

Jesus, did you read the original post? I mean if you want to talk idiotic, have a look at what you just wrote.

I never said people shouldn't take jobs. I never said people shouldn't look for a reason to get up in the morning. Can you quote me on where I said that or do you want to babble on with another useless little speech.

I said people shouldn't be content with it. Simple bloody English. Why are people finding this difficult to comprehend.

It's damn difficult to "aspire to something better" when you can't afford college, and can't get in the door of a company so that you can actually have the chance to aspire to something better.

Ah right. You've got me sussed there Freud. God you're a smart one. Seriously though, you spout the most generic garbage. I hope you don't speak like this around people in real life. If you do, you might want to think about staying quiet.

I'm not going to go into my life story, but I am where I am today through an enormous amount of hard work. I'm employed in a job that I have no formal education in and I've spent a good portion of my life pumping petrol and working a till. I know what working on minimum wage (and below) is like.
    Besides all that, are you suggesting that if people have the choice between the dole and minimum wage work, that they should opt for the dole? I don't think that anyone, even someone with as simplistic a view as you, think that one should opt for the dole.

Well done. I mean seriously. Slow clap.

I never suggested anything of the sort. You've somehow derived that yourself. But kudos. That's fairly special.

In case you're still confused, it goes like this.
    Get off the dole. Yes. Great.
    Take a job at minimum wage. Yes. But as a means to achieving something better.
    If you're working a minimum wage job and you think you've achieved your life's ambition, I feel sorry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I didn't give an opinion in the post you quoted on whether the dole was enough or too much. you seem to have read it wrong.

I wasn't criticising anything, just pointing out it's a lot of money. Then I added my own point.

• Advertisement

I wasn't criticising anything, just pointing out it's a lot of money. Then I added my own point.

if you weren't criticising my post, then your post had absolutely no relevance to what I was saying - I didn't say it's not a lot of money.

EdenHazard wrote: »

What kind you looking for? I genuinely dont believe you're looking hard enough if with 3 years experience you cant get one? Only 6 months ago, a friend of mine who has 4 - 5 years retail experience, was made redundant. Within 3 weeks, she had 2 job offers, which would both mean a pay rise. These were Dublin city centre jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

I would gladly take a bar or restaurant job.

But these jobs look for experience.

How many are in jobs where they are under-employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

I wonder if you read this before you posted it? You seem to forget that other human beings can read it. Welfare should be survival? 188 euro is a lot of money? Which third-world nation are you referring to where 188 euro is a lot of money? I'm 41 years old and I've worked since I was 16, paying my tax and PRSI all the way and now I'm unemployed. That post is totally ridiculous and offensive. Unless you live in a tent on a bog somewhere in the arse of your own arrogance, you'd know that this is an expensive country to live in. 188 quid isn't worth a f*ck when you have bills streaming through the door. And by the way, yes, a good standard of living is a moral entitlement. It's called human rights.

I am going to start CVs to bar and restaurant jobs.

I have good qualifications and good experience.

But I think no metter what job your doing - it is better.

It probably will look as I am waving the white flag - but I am going to give it a go.

Problem now is that I have no experience of restaurant/retail or bar work.

Neonjack wrote: »
    I wonder if you read this before you posted it? You seem to forget that other human beings can read it. Welfare should be survival? 188 euro is a lot of money? Which third-world nation are you referring to where 188 euro is a lot of money? I'm 41 years old and I've worked since I was 16, paying my tax and PRSI all the way and now I'm unemployed. That post is totally ridiculous and offensive. Unless you live in a tent on a bog somewhere in the arse of your own arrogance, you'd know that this is an expensive country to live in. 188 quid isn't worth a f*ck when you have bills streaming through the door. And by the way, yes, a good standard of living is a moral entitlement. It's called human rights.

I dont think 'good standard of living' includes things such as Sky, Mobile phones and Eircom broadband etc. 188 a week is 752 a month. Once one is not payying a mortgage, this is MORE than enough, and even if they are, surely their other half can spot them a few months mortgage.

Just out of curiousity, if you think 188 ISNT enough, what would you be happy with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

If I needed a job right, I'd consider one of those jobs. I wouldn't get any though. Lack of experience will be the excuse but being a middle aged man will be the real reason. I'm not actually entitled to the dole so if I was out of work I would be in serious trouble.

Those are jobs for young girls mostly. I'm sure as hell not going to be employed in a boutique or as behind the counter in a coffee shop. No doubt the reason there are vacancies are students moving on and people getting experience and using it to get a better job.

It was always that way.

That said - I see a lot more older people working in retail and bars etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I don't see any of these jobs anywhere. Where abouts are you OP?

I've been looking for part time work and I'm having a hard time doing so. Some places don't even take your CV and treat you like pure shíte, common courtesy goes a long way, I'm only asking for a job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I was responding to a cheeky comment, not making one!
    Well in fairness you do seem to have an issue with anyone being on the dole - even if they were made redundant and need to draw the dole until they find another job.
    I dont think 'good standard of living' includes things such as Sky, Mobile phones and Eircom broadband etc. 188 a week is 752 a month.
    For contact from potential employers you definitely need a phone and access to an internet connection.
    Once one is not payying a mortgage, this is MORE than enough, and even if they are, surely their other half can spot them a few months mortgage.
    How do you know they've an "other half"? It goes without saying someone on that money couldn't manage if they had children, but if they don't have a mortgage, what about rent? Transport? What if they live in a rural area with crap public transport and need to drive to interviews? Bills for electricity and heating? Even the most basic food shop in Lidl/Aldi? It all adds up. A weekly meet-up with friends (in fairness, that is not a luxury - everyone is entitled to a social outlet, for their mental well-being; don't say you'd be a hermit if you were on the dole).
    €188 per week is plenty for a kid living at home, or even in a big house-share, but it is not plenty of money for a much older person.

Advertisement