Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden never touched - where to start?

Options
  • 27-03-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

HELP!!I have been in my house about 4 years and have never touched my garden at all apart from to cut the grass which is full of weeds, stingers etc. and is patchy. Its a West facing garden so we get the sun just about all day.My dog is in the garden but I would really like to try get it ready to use for the Summer as I feel its a waste. But I know nothing about lawns or gardening or where to start. I also don't have much money to do it. I would just like to get the lawn into good enough condition that it looks well and I can sit out and enjoy it!! Maybe then I'll plant some pots to add colour.Where do I start? Do I need to dig it all up and start again (hopefully not) or is there a way I can treat it or put down seed as its very patchy in places.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Some photos might help the board to gauge how much work is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jmcc23

Some photos might help the board to gauge how much work is required.
    Ok I'll try figure out how to post a pic!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

You can use the attachment option ( paper clip icon beside smiley in top bar of message window)

Like so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Get yourself to the local library and borrow some books.
    Be nosey, check out gardens in the neighbourhood and see what you like. Check the books for instructions and ideas on how to achieve what you want.
    Have a master plan but start small, work on one project at a time and finish each before moving on. You'll learn as you go and the achievement of completing a bed or whatever will drive you on to the next.

Check out garden.ie, it has some great resources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

And never be afraid to post here/ask questions here either.

No matter how simple a question is....

Theres no such thing as a stupid question,only stupid answers.

If you cant attach pics via boards.ie.then you can upload pics via Photobucket.com or Flickr.com.

Then link the pics with your post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

been there myself, if you are doing it on a small budget its going to take a lot hard work my advice is spray the lot get a lad with a tractor and rotavator and rot ovate the lot then invest in a large rake 36" aluminium and start raking a few days and it will start taking shape, when you have it all in lawn you can start planting a few trees and puting in a few raised beds for veg and fencing off a corner for a few hens if you start now you will be mowing a nice lawn in June best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jmcc23

Thank you all for the advice. The garden.ie site was helpful too. Sorry in so useless couldn't put pic up think its the version of site i'm using. Hopefully the nice weather is just the start of a good Spring/Summer as I think I'll be spending many hours sorting the garden, baby steps though

Advertisement