Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options
  • 27-03-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Boss called into his office stating that a kid who is on work experience and is at various departments, he was with me for couple hours, he told his aunt I was on internet all afternoon, then she told boss,

while I've been on line but not checking and have showed him couple things I'm not happy he want back to his aunt what should I do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Does your company have a published IT policy which you signed up to stating that you are not allowed to use the internet during working hours?

If it does, then tough, you broke the rules and got caught (by a sneaky bastard, true, but still caught).

If it doesn't then I cant really see why they have called you in as you were not doing anything that you aren't allowed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Boss called into his office stating that a kid who is on work experience and is at various departments, he was with me for couple hours, he told his aunt I was on internet all afternoon, then she told boss,

while I've been on line but not checking and have showed him couple things I'm not happy he want back to his aunt what should I do

Why would you be goofing off on the internet when you have somebody shadowing you ?
    Especially when that person is related to somebody higher up in the company.

I suspect you are going to have to keep your nose clean for the next 6 months or so and put in a real shift each day to win back their trust.Once you get this reputation(even if it was an isolated incident) you are going to find it hard to shake it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

First, you should make sure that you are 100% on top of your job.

Second, you should make sure you know what your boss's expectations about internet use are.

Once you're ok on those two fronts, do nothing more except be more wary about what you show to who: one of life's nasty lessons is that you can't always trust your colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Boss called into his office stating that a kid who is on work experience and is at various departments, he was with me for couple hours, he told his aunt I was on internet all afternoon, then she told boss
    I'm thinking if you got sacked, he'd get your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here

He was down with me for 2 hours, showed him what we do, and we'd been out of the office for an hour, I did come in and check a mail on FB, I was on it for all about 5 minutes, point I'm getting at he told his aunt I was on it all afternoon and, while there isn't a policy about not being on internet, I always get what ever is done and in between I may check e-mails etc.. while I'm doing my rounds I do notice others on FB and min their windows when I come into the office

Don't like people just coming in and mouthing off without giving full story and that's what happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,516 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Couldn't you invite the boss to look at your browsing history - that would prove where you were and how long? Send him a screen shot if necessary.

Advertisement