Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place for Friday Night Drinks?

Options
  • 27-03-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey all,

Hoping somebody could suggest a good game plan for a Friday night out in Kilkenny. Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems to be a Left Bank --> Morrisons deal, and not much else?

Are there other options that don't result in drinking in a near empty bar/club?

Before it's put out there - I don't want to visit The World's End ha ha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Go to the pumphouse down Parliament street on a Friday night and see where the night takes you (probably Kitlers tbh).
    Great spot all the time, but they do €2.50 pints on a Friday till 10/11 I think so its hopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Raver8

€2.50 a pint? Sold! Ha, couldn't go wrong with that now really! And if there's cheap beer, there'll be a crowd. What kinda demographics are we talking? Older couples... teens... 20/30somethings or a happy mix?

What's Kytelers like as a late bar? How does it compare to Morrisons?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Pumphouse is definitely the place to go for cheap drinks. Friday night demographic is usually 20's-40's. Basically anyone who wants to drink for much cheaper.

No idea what Kytelers is like later on but it seems to be getting more popular recently. Maybe because Langtons is gone to 21's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd be a Pumphouse man myself.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

The Pumphouse has a reputation for being a children's playground or is that only true of Saturday nights there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The Pumphouse has a reputation for being a children's playground or is that only true of Saturday nights there?

That's definitely not why I go there

pedobear.jpg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

It's pretty much only Saturday night that there will be kids out in the Pumphouse

Mugatuu wrote: »
    It's pretty much only Saturday night that there will be kids out in the Pumphouse

I think they pretty much go upstairs though. It's been ages since I've been out on a Saturday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Raver8 wrote: »
    €2.50 a pint? Sold! Ha, couldn't go wrong with that now really! And if there's cheap beer, there'll be a crowd. What kinda demographics are we talking? Older couples... teens... 20/30somethings or a happy mix?

What's Kytelers like as a late bar? How does it compare to Morrisons?

Its not all pints now mind you, they change them every week.
    But bav is always one.

Very mixed relaxed crowd, you can pretty much go into the pumphouse and talk to anyone for the entire night, its great!
    Pool table and all for amusement, whats not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Raver8 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Hoping somebody could suggest a good game plan for a Friday night out in Kilkenny. Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems to be a Left Bank --> Morrisons deal, and not much else?

Are there other options that don't result in drinking in a near empty bar/club?

Before it's put out there - I don't want to visit The World's End ha ha

The Nore bar is my pub of choice on a Friday evening. Nothing finishes the work week better than 3 or 4 pints of the best Guinness in Kilkenny... They also lash out plenty of finger food to get a thirst up....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Ryans on Friary St. if your into music.

Benny Cake wrote: »
    The Nore bar is my pub of choice on a Friday evening. Nothing finishes the work week better than 3 or 4 pints of the best Guinness in Kilkenny... They also lash out plenty of finger food to get a thirst up....:D
    ft9 wrote: »

Love both of these pubs, the Nore bar does a savage pint and Michael is a gentleman. It's a pity I can never get anyone to go there with me, we generally tend to meet in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I'll go with you if you like.

But first I think we should have a few cans together down by the Nore itself, before we visit its eponymous bar. There's a nice new walkway under Ormond bridge which would be very suitable, it's nice and secluded there, we won't be disturbed, and it's just a short walk from the actual bridge, where I can park my van.

ft9 wrote: »

Have talked to a few people about this, and the general consensus seems to be Ryans is the best spot on a Friday, and that the Pumphouse is full of teens??

I know people have disagreed with this on this thread, hard to know who to believe :)

Think I'll try Ryans tomorrow evening, see where it goes, will report back on experiences at a later date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I like the ambiance of the Nore Bar but it is really small, seriously small.

Fabby, are you a priest by any chance?

I ended up going to Ryan's bar and then on to Morrisson's afterwards - a good night by all accounts. Ryans is a nice bar, and larger than first glance would make it appear!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's a lot bigger once you get past the mosh at the front!

Ryans is a great bar though, one of Kilkenny's best by a long shot.

Advertisement