Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Electric Sockets In Shed

• 27-03-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have a chest Freezer and wish to keep this in the garden shed which is made of concrete and no more than 5 ft from the house.
    I will need electricty in the shed, any ideas how i go about this, i carnt dig up the ground to put cables down.

I know i will have to get a Electrican in to do this but want to make sure i have some idea of what im talikng about.
    And have some idea of the cost involved.

Any ideas how to get a light and 1 socket plug working in the shed without digging up the garden?
    Any one have a rough guide to the cost involved?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try the Electrical subforum.^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

normally a tap from a house socket might do for a light+socket

a new sub-main(cable from fusebox)might be preferable here though.That way you can keep the freezer off the rcd altogether

-if you're concerned about tripping and losing contents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Any ideas how to get a light and 1 socket plug working in the shed without digging up the garden?
    Any one have a rough guide to the cost involved?
    Thanks in advance

Post a picture here of the setup and the guys here might be able to advise some options on the route you could take. More than likely your going to have to do some digging or drilling.

The cost can be quite low, if you've prepared the way for the electrican and have all of the heavy work done. But if you want a turn key job it could cost a number of times more, you may even have trouble getting someone to quote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ive a heap of pictures from when my garage was hooked up with power,but it involves ripping up floorboards in the house and digging a long deep trench down the back garden That might be a bit of overkill for you though for your situation.??

I can post the pictures,if you wish me to?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

I got this done recently electrician drilled through to dining room (nearest electrical point to shed) connected to a socket there and fed a wire out to shed for light and socket. Cost 200 all in. Took him about 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I got this done recently electrician drilled through to dining room (nearest electrical point to shed) connected to a socket there and fed a wire out to shed for light and socket. Cost 200 all in. Took him about 2 hours.

Did he use SWA or NYMJ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Like M cebee said, if you certainly only want a twin socket and light, a feed can be taken from the nearest socket in the house.

A sub main from the MCB board is preferable, especially with the freezer out in the shed, but its usually a lot bigger a job.

If i was doing it from a socket in the house, i would go from the socket into a double pole 20 amp switch, then out to the shed into the socket there, then into a switch fused spur as the light switch.

The double pole switch will allow the circuit out to the shed to be isolated if the shed circuit ever starts tripping the house RCD, or if the house RCD ever started tripping, the shed circuit can be eliminated when looking for the problem.

Advertisement