Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confused...

• 27-03-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

i am currently in first year of college and i am really not happy in my course , i'm hoping to do another course in the same college, of course i must go to the managmet or whoever and deregister for my current course etc my question is:

can i still apply for the CAO this year? ( i know there's like a late fine, that's okay) or do i have to wait until next year to re-apply (ie start september 2013. )

-thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Late application to the CAO usually has a cut off date sometime in May, so it's not too late.

Check your options with your college first, they may allow you to do an internal transfer if you finish first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

ok thanks, im not sure what you mean by "internal transfer "

i was hoping to de register, and then apply like leaving cert students would and i got more then enough points last year so i was hoping that way would work for commencing in september ...?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Stressica wrote: »
    ok thanks, im not sure what you mean by "internal transfer "

i was hoping to de register, and then apply like leaving cert students would and i got more then enough points last year so i was hoping that way would work for commencing in september ...?.

You can do what you are describing but sometimes a college will allow you to change course if it's another course within the college without going through CAO

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sarahm1994

A friend of mine did what rainbowtrout is talking about. It was a pretty related course and so she finished first year, then was allowed to go to the other course and start first year again, without going through the CAO.

Definitely worth an email to your college I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Ok, wow thanks guys, i never knew that :)

I'll send an e-mail later on and see what their thoughts are on it.

im hoping, well thinking of switching from a sciencey course to a cooking type course so they are quite different lol, but you never know :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

People switching or leaving courses is much more common than people think, especially when in Leaving Cert or at the start of college. It's much better to make the decision now than later. Best of luck!:)

Advertisement