Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas BBQ with charcoal ? is it possible??

Options
  • 27-03-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I am not sure if this is possible but hopefully someone may know.....

I am looking for a gas barbecue which has a second rack so I can put somthing like Penroc above the flame. All I can see in the shops is 1 rack for the food directly above the flame.

Anybody point me in the right direction

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What you are describing is a standard gas-fired BBQ. Any gas BBQ that I've ever used has always had a rack for lava rock or similar above the burner(s). The grill rack for the food is then set above the lava rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I put all sorts of things over the lava rocks - I've put soaked wood, herbs etc and never had a problem....

Horrible to clean though!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SpionJoe

What you are describing is a standard gas-fired BBQ. Any gas BBQ that I've ever used has always had a rack for lava rock or similar above the burner(s). The grill rack for the food is then set above the lava rock.

Thanks, I also thought this was standard but someone forgot to tell B&Q and woodies!, both of theses stock only ones that have the food rack above the gas. If you see anybody selling one I would be mightly tahnkful

Thanks

I put all sorts of things over the lava rocks - I've put soaked wood, herbs etc and never had a problem....

Horrible to clean though!

You clean your BBQ?! :eek: That's where all my flavour comes from.

Especially the first BBQ of the season - the food gets delicately flavoured from charred spiders, flamed cobwebs & last year's burnt grease. :D

SpionJoe wrote: »
    Thanks, I also thought this was standard but someone forgot to tell B&Q and woodies!, both of theses stock only ones that have the food rack above the gas. If you see anybody selling one I would be mightly tahnkful

Thanks

This gas BBQ is available on the Woodies website & specifically says that it takes lava rocks.

• Advertisement

This gas BBQ is available on the Woodies website & specifically says that it takes lava rocks.

Thanks for that. It was not on display in the Naas Rd branch at the weekend but I have called the Finglas branch and they have stock. Going to take a drive over after work and have a look.

Top man :)

A pleasure. Happy grilling! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

i had a gas bbq with lava rocks but as i wanted the charcoal flavour i replaced the rocks with brickettes after a couple of years. i used the gas flame to light the charcoal. it worked fine but after time parts of the gas burners became blocked and eventually stopped working . i didnt mind much as i got myself a chimney starter.

so my point is that it will work but will ruin parts of your bbq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

This one in Lidl is the same kind of thing, on sale today - gonna pick one up later myself: http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-514DF028-DF93CFB7/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_19392.htm

quaalude wrote: »
    This one in Lidl is the same kind of thing, on sale today - gonna pick one up later myself: http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-514DF028-DF93CFB7/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_19392.htm

Thanks pal, I will have a look today.

• Advertisement

This one in Lidl is the same kind of thing, on sale today - gonna pick one up later myself: http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-514DF028-DF93CFB7/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_19392.htm[/QUOTE]

Picked up that badboy lasy night, bargain prices and exactly what I was looking for, it's not as if I will be grilling for a wedding function out my back.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their help this week. Kudos,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

great news always good to hear a conclusion

I grabbed a Lidl one, it seems good - well, as far as I can tell from the half-assembled job in my living room!

Can anyone recommend where to get a cover for it?

I grabbed a Lidl one, it seems good - well, as far as I can tell from the half-assembled job in my living room!

Can anyone recommend where to get a cover for it?

It was the LIDL BBQ I got myself. Have not even opened the box yet, do they throw in a bag of lava rock in the box?

I seen an outdoor furnitue/BBQ cover in Tesco in Maynooth. It seems a perfect size for what we both bought, it was about €8 in the hardware aisle.

It was the LIDL BBQ I got myself. Have not even opened the box yet, do they throw in a bag of lava rock in the box?
    Yes - a bag of lava rock is included.
    I seen an outdoor furnitue/BBQ cover in Tesco in Maynooth. It seems a perfect size for what we both bought, it was about €8 in the hardware aisle.
    Ah, sounds good - I'll check Tescos nearby me. Thanks SpionJoe!

Just cooked dinner on the BBQ - worked great.

A heads-up though - the orange gas cylinder from my old gas BBQ didn't fit - but I happened to have a grey patio heater gas cylinder, and that worked.

Just cooked dinner on the BBQ - worked great.

A heads-up though - the orange gas cylinder from my old gas BBQ didn't fit - but I happened to have a grey patio heater gas cylinder, and that worked.

Just assembled the BBQ last night, did you find the glass insert a bit flimsy to fit or is it just me?

Did you lower the heat when the lava rock heated up?

Thanks

Just assembled the BBQ last night, did you find the glass insert a bit flimsy to fit or is it just me?

Did you lower the heat when the lava rock heated up?

Thanks

The glass insert is fine and sturdy on my one - doesn't feel flimsy. I didn't assemble mine though! I just asked my partner, who said that that bit was fine to assemble.

Yes, I lowered the heat once the lava rock was hot.

The glass insert is fine and sturdy on my one - doesn't feel flimsy. I didn't assemble mine though! I just asked my partner, who said that that bit was fine to assemble.

Yes, I lowered the heat once the lava rock was hot.

Thanks for the info, might have another look at the glass insert before its baptism of fire (no pun intended) tomorrow.

Advertisement