Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IN NEED OF HELP AND SOME ANSWERS??

Options
  • 27-03-2012 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello and thanks to everybody taking the time to click into this post and wanting to help me and offer your advice it is all much appreciated:) Im new to this so bear with me if im doing this all back ways lol [/LEFT]
    I think im in the right place I would consider myself a non-traditional student I am 21 going 22 this october. It is my hope to get into college this coming term to do General Nursing or Midwifery. In saying this I am not the brightest star to fall from the sky lol:D I passed my leaving cert in 2008 and went straight to work I would love to return to education to better my life. I have the course spec's required for most of the courses but I do not have the ever soaring points to match and i was just wondering is someone like me thats inbetween the school leaver and mature student even looked at in the middle of the placing of courses??:confused:Maybe I am being stupid in thinking i could ever be in with a chance of getting into such a great course but nursing is in my nature and although the brains are not the best i know my heart would be in the job:)!! I have applied for 8 courses through the CAO all in the area of Nursing and Midwifery and I am praying that I might be lucky but am I being over enthusiastic?? I would appreciate your help and criticism good and bad ;) Thanks everyone <3:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Hey Rachel, you go girl! Best of luck.
    Im not sure about in Ireland, but I know in NZ a lot of our equivalents to an IT offer a 1year foundation course, covering most of the Leaving Cert stuff, which brings students up to speed on what the missed out on and gets them back into the groove of studying.
    This course then counts for entry requirements for many courses. Maybe it would be worth looking to see if something similar is offered here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Rachel.

Until you reach 23 you won't be classified as a mature student. What this means is that until then you can only access a college place on the basis of Leaving Cert points or as a FETAC level 5 applicant.

LC points for Nursing tend to be between about 450 and 480 so short of repeating the LC your best bet would be to do a one year level 5 in Nursing studies and apply to college as a FETAC applicant. The downside of this is that the standard is very high, you need a minimum of five distinctions out of 8 modules and even with those grades there is no guarantee of a place on a Nursing /Midwifery degree.

A nursing degree course is quite intensive and technical. I'm definitely not trying to put you off but I would suggest you do a lot of research into the content of the course and see what you think. The Biological science and anatomy areas are aspects that a couple of my students have found tougher that expected.

A FETAC level 5 course can give you a fair idea of what to expect with nursing as well as giving you a chance to see if its really what you want to do.

Also if you wait to apply as a mature student and do the level 5 in the meantime you really can improve your chances of getting a place.

there lots of good info on applying for nursing here: http://www.nursingboard.ie/en/careers.aspx

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rachel123xxx

Thank you Kiwipower i love your positivity in me:Dlol Paperclip2 seems to have similar advice just more closer to home for me then NZ hehe Thank you so much for your advice its much appreciated :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rachel123xxx

Thanks Paperclip2 I realise I am not eligable for mature student as I am not 23 and I still wont really be eligable until I am 24 because of when my birthday falls:( I am serious about this as a career its not a passing phase i would like to better myself and my life!! I have touched on Anatomy before as i have done biology in school and ive done a pitman medical secretarial course which had module on Medical Terminology etc. I know it might seem like not a lot to you who would know a lot more on this than me but none of what I have learned has made me wince and stopped me from persuing this I am persistant :D
    I think the points system is the worst thing in the world not being offensive but there could be a brainy farmer working as a doctor because he can have the points to do so but me who works on a till all day long with a passion to look after people and willing to put in the hours turned away because I cant meet the points :confused:
    Thank you for your advice and I realise its not something taken on lightly and thank you for the link i'll read through it carefully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Hi Rachel,

You are possibly looking for something like this to get you on the road to nursing

http://www.lcfe.ie/DAY-COURSES/School-of-Childcare,-Health-and-Science/Nursing-Studies-(Pre-Nursing).aspx

Give them a ring to see what the requirements are, there are no tuition fees for this course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭anfield bound

D.I.T do a young adult access programme for under 23's. Take their science foundation class and a couple of social care electives and you'd be in great shape for consideration on the course you want.
    just a thought.

Advertisement