Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best town in cork for a holiday!

Options
  • 27-03-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi tainking of going down to cork for a few days in May. can anyone recommend which town and a hotel (4 star pref) thats nice but not to expensive!
    was thinking Clonakilty or somewere but not sure which hotel.

Any recommendations welcome

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mumblesalot101

Recommend clon tis a lovely spot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I would say Clonakilty too - Inchadoney is lovely if it's not too expensive. Otherwise take a look at Bantry, some nice hotels there too and a good base for travelling around. Kinsale is also really nice and has nice hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Never been, but the quality hotel there has great reviews. I normally stay in the quality just outside Youghal (okay reviews but not nearly as good as the one in clonakilty), youghal has a lovely beach but other than that there isnt much going on.

Inchydoney is fantastic, hotel was savage (very pricey) beach was beautiful its quite far out though.

I also like kinsale but have never stayed in the immediate area.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭user37

i had a look at Inchadoney hotel, looks brillant but for that price id get away abroad so thats a no no!!!
    Must check out the quality hotel now, there does seen to be many nice hotels to choose from in that area.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

All of west Cork is beautiful.Shur isnt it known as the Irish Riviera.

http://www.westcork.ie/

Looking at map,you could stay a night in Castletownbere,Clonakilty and Kinsale.

Also visit Allihies,Glandore and Union Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Biggies

http://www.garryvoehotel.com in East Cork is a lovely hotel in a lovely spot, not too crowded and with a few beautiful spots around (Ballycotton, Cloyne, Whitegate, Ballymacoda)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Quality is the best hotel in all of Cork if travelling with kids.
    Others in or around Clon
    Dunmore house
    Fern Hill
    The Celtic Ross (Rosscarbery)
    The Imperial (could have shut down)
    O' Donovans (old, with night club downsairs)
    Emmet (old, with night club downsairs)

If your rich you can rent out the galley head lighthouse via the irish landmarks website.

Loads of b&bs. If close to amenities is priority then stay in town, if you want a beach then I think the red strand is nicest area.

After Clon my favourite area in Cork is around Crookhaven / barleycove. V beautifull but its a small village rather then a town. Bantry very nice too. Kinsale nice but too busy and not very close to other areas. The garryvoe hotel itself is lovely but the general area isnt as nice as half a dozen areas of west cork. Another option would be the marine in Glandore.

thanks guys, i will check out all your sugestions. i think the Quality hotel suits families better and as its just the two of us i think it rules it out.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Quality is the best hotel in all of Cork if travelling with kids.

Yep, completely agree with you on that one. We're members of the leisure centre there and our kids love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Was going to start a thread on this very topic, so I'm glad someone got in ahead of me.
    Spent a week in West Cork a few years ago and loved the place. Always looked forward to going back.
    How far is the Quality in Clonakilty from the town itself? From the picture on their site, it looks a bit isolated.
    How long would it take to drive into the city?(wifey is determined to do some shopping)
    Can anyone recommend any child friendly pubs/restaurants in the town?
    thanks

• Advertisement

Was going to start a thread on this very topic, so I'm glad someone got in ahead of me.
    Spent a week in West Cork a few years ago and loved the place. Always looked forward to going back.
    How far is the Quality in Clonakilty from the town itself? From the picture on their site, it looks a bit isolated.
    How long would it take to drive into the city?(wifey is determined to do some shopping)
    Can anyone recommend any child friendly pubs/restaurants in the town?
    thanks

Quality is only about 5 - 10 min walk to the town, depending on if you've got kids with you or not. If you've kids with you then forget about it as you have to pass the playground on the way down ;)

Distance wise from the city...you'd be in the city centre and have the car parked in 1 hour but that's assuming that you're not heading in during rush hour. City has some great shops, including some big high street names on the recently renovated Opera Lane. You also have the option of Mahon Point Shopping Centre which is on the South Link road which is outside of the city.

Restaurants wise...for good quality food I'd recommend An Sugan and Richys Bistro and Deasy's in Ring. For barfood I'd recommend the Courtyard and the Emmet Hotel. Pasta Mio is supposed to be decent enough too...though hopefully some true locals can expand on this for you.

One additional point I'd make is to visit Lisselan Gardens which is located a mile or two outside the town. I was there for the first time last week and it was stunning and a great way to pass a few hours with the kids. It's surprisingly big, don't let the entrance put you off, there's lots of winding paths, rivers, bridges and woodland area and fishing too if you're interested. I'd recommend popping in to Supervalu (the best Supervalu in the country for fresh food) to pick up some filled rolls from the Deli counter and some treats and head out to Lisselan for a picnic, lovely day out in my opinion.

Thanks trotter. Lots of info there.
    Discover Ireland could do worse than hire you for their promotional work

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Relations of mine stayed in the Quality hotel, and were very happy with it - highly recommend it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not a fan of the Quality-wall-to-wall kids. The hotel at Garryvoe is lovely and right by the beach and is good for just two adults, there's a pool and if you want to stay at the sister hotel in Ballycotton,you can still use the leisure centre in Garryvoe. Just down the road from Syephen Pearse workshop(cheapie seconds to be had), the Kilkenny shop- nive for a browse and a nice spot for coffee and cake and just beyond, Ballymaloe (if you are on a budget, have lunch in the cafe and the shop is good for all kinds of odds and ends).Close to Midleton and the Jameson tour and not too far from Cork city either.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Don't forget Cobh. If it's for a family weekend, no better place. (But then again I'm getting more pro-East Cork vs. West Cork over the years).

Firstly, Cobh town itself now has several visitor's attractions i.e. the new Titanic Experience, The Heritage Centre, The Museum and The Sirius Arts Centre. There is the Titanic Walking Tour, the Titanic Boating Tour and you can get the boat across to Spike Island (old fort - adults and kids love it). There are Retaurants/Bars/Cafes throughout the town - and Aunty Nellie's Sweet Shop. If the sun is shining and a cruise ship is in, it's just wonderful sitting outsite dining whilst ships/yachts/trawlers sail by. Throughout the summer, there's a site seeing car/train running through the town and a new Horse and Carriage trip (jaunting car?)

Fota Wildlife Park is just up the road - a must for the kids.

Cobh is also just a few miles to Trabolgan Holiday Centre and not too far from Whitebay, Garryvoe, Ballycotton beaches. Midleton for shopping/cinema complex.

So if you want to be in the middle of a seaside town - but just 20 minutes drive to Cork City centre (or you can get the train), then Cobh is the place to go. Especially as this is Titanic Centenary year - and constant events taking place - infact check out the website www.titanic100.ie - will give you an idea of what's happening when. Shame you won't be in Cobh next week for the Titanic Commemorative Concerts. Wherever you choose to visit - enjoy your stay. J

J

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

DSCN0490.jpg

Basking shark near Clonakilty yesterday. But back on topic, Cobh east Cork are all very nice, I do prefer west but both have plenty to offer. For couples the quality in clon wouldnt be ideal but inchadoney is nice.
    Clon has a great mix of things but dont discount around barleycove if yere just looking for somewhere quiet to relax.

http://www.clonamarketing.com/index.php

Hi guys, i'm back again, seen a good deal on this place? Is it nice, anyone know....
    Its just for the two of us

thanks

user37 wrote: »
    http://www.clonamarketing.com/index.php

Hi guys, i'm back again, seen a good deal on this place? Is it nice, anyone know....
    Its just for the two of us

thanks

Never heard of them to be honest. I checked some of their property listings and they have a varied variety, if there's one in particular you need info on then just let us know. But I can tell you...

Clogheen Village would be a couple of miles outside of town, but closer to Inchydoney beach.

Long Quay and Cooniebeg are right in the town, not sure if you mind this or not, it would be close to all the shops and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

Not a fan of the Quality-wall-to-wall kids. The hotel at Garryvoe is lovely and right by the beach and is good for just two adults, there's a pool and if you want to stay at the sister hotel in Ballycotton,you can still use the leisure centre in Garryvoe. Just down the road from Syephen Pearse workshop(cheapie seconds to be had), the Kilkenny shop- nive for a browse and a nice spot for coffee and cake and just beyond, Ballymaloe (if you are on a budget, have lunch in the cafe and the shop is good for all kinds of odds and ends).Close to Midleton and the Jameson tour and not too far from Cork city either.
    I have to agree. The 'Quality' would do my head in.

Just back from "Clon". Stayed in the Quality. Definately a child friendly hotel, but that suited us fine. Staff were very friendly, the service efficient and the food lovely.
    Loved the town itself and it was a good base to see the surrounding area.
    Looking forward to our next trip already.

• Advertisement

Just back from "Clon". Stayed in the Quality. Definately a child friendly hotel, but that suited us fine. Staff were very friendly, the service efficient and the food lovely.
    Loved the town itself and it was a good base to see the surrounding area.
    Looking forward to our next trip already.

Excellent! Glad to hear you had a lovely time down here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

We stayed in Inchydoney last weekend and it was fantastic. They are so nice and the food was fab and its very child friendly.

I would definitley recomend it to anyone..

Advertisement