Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: IEC application if you are from Ireland (Rep) living in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 27-03-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all hoping for some advice on this but I fear it may be too late. Hopefully some of you will have gone through this already and gotten your visas.

I was born in Dublin but moved to Belfast 7 years ago to study. I have been back and forth ever since but have mainly been based in Belfast. I applied for the IEC Canadian visa through the Irish application process as I have an Irish passport. I included all of my addresses in Belfast and Dublin and a Garda Cert with a PSNI cert also.

I have seen somewhere on boards someone got refused because they were based up north and that didn't count as habitual residency, however if you are Northern Irish and have an Irish passport you apply through the Irish system.

Anybody know more about this seeming loophole or am I just stressing and its all the same?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rojorolo

This can be shut down I got my answer. I have since been refused on the basis I have been living outside of Ireland for the last few years. They are counting belfast as the UK in my case. Irritatingly enough if you are from Northern Ireland and have never set foot in the Republic in your life you can apply for the Irish visa but someone born in the South can't be living in the North and receive the same treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

I dont think you should of been rejected. I think they had a policy change that states to be considered a resident all you needed was to live in ireland or northern ireland for 18 of the last 36 months

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/residency-clause-residence.aspx?view=d

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rojorolo

Oh My GOD!!!!
    The fun that its the IEC never ends.

We have already booked and paid for the J1 visa with goforless to go to America for a year instead. Can not believe how badly we have been messed around by the IEC. They didn't even email us to tell us about that change of policy. We wouldnt have booked our American trip knowing that. :mad:

Thanks for the heads up though. Really cant believe they changed their minds and nothing was sent to us even after we emailed querying their decision to reject us.

Advertisement