Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does my horse's poop go soft & runny when we're out for a ride?

Options
  • 27-03-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

M horse is a 10 year old gelding who is in great condition.
    We only do light hacking.

I've noticed that when we are out riding his poop always goes runny.
    It is normal at first and then it progressively gets more runny.

This has always happened no matter if he's out on grass or in a stable!

Once we're back home it's normal again.

Is that very odd and why does it happen?

I would love to hear what anybody thinks!

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from A&PI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It's odd alright but I'm not sure if there's anything to worry about. Have you done any harder work with him and if so, did the same thing happen? Has he always done this, or is it fairly recent? Does the horse seem to be in any pain or discomfort as it gets worse i.e. hollowing or humping of the back, tensing?

If you're worried, I'd get the vet out but I really don't see much to worry about as long as there's no signs of dehydration or pain. It could be (I say could, I'm not a vet so I don't know if this is even possible) that the exercise is causing a laxative effect and stimulates bowel movement. There's probably a variety of reasons but again, calling the vet would be the best idea if you are worried :)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

I would think it is just excitement - and would not be concerned if it was one of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you're in any way concerned about your horse, then you really need to contact a vet and seek their professional advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Light exercise stimulates the gastro-intestinal tract in animals, and I imagine the problem (if it is a problem) is that this is causing him to poo before he normally would, combined with his increasing body temperature (and possibly adrenaline), it's just a little more runny.

I have noticed similar in young racehorses, which I always put down to a combination of sudden exercise, body temperature and adrenaline. It's never runny like diarrhoea though, if it gets that runny just call the Vet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement