Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feral cat problem.

• 27-03-2012 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

I have a feral tomcat that visits our house at least once a day looking for food. He seems to think our home is part of his 'vicinity' and sprays accordingly. My own two cats are afraid of him, and I cannot leave the office doors open without risk of him entering and helping himself to their food, AND spraying -which frankly reeks and I'm sick to the back teeth of both him and the smell. He's not particularly afraid of humans, but has a broken tail that has never been looked at- although it doesn't seem to cause him any discomfort.
    Who do I approach about having him trapped and neutered?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

I have a feral tomcat that visits our house at least once a day looking for food. He seems to think our home is part of his 'vicinity' and sprays accordingly. My own two cats are afraid of him, and I cannot leave the office doors open without risk of him entering and helping himself to their food, AND spraying -which frankly reeks and I'm sick to the back teeth of both him and the smell. He's not particularly afraid of humans, but has a broken tail that has never been looked at- although it doesn't seem to cause him any discomfort.
    Who do I approach about having him trapped and neutered?
    Call the ispca and get them to get rid of it or buy a trap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Get him neutered certainly, but it won't solve the spraying problem (that's learned behaviour from when they mature).

It may resolve his aggression issues with your two cats.

does your local vet support trap neuter and release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I don't know if he does, I will certainly give him a call and see. He's a plucky sort, this cat, and I am at my wit's end with him. Now that the weather is finally warmer I want to be able to leave my office doors open so that my two can come in and out of my garden in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Get him neutered certainly, but it won't solve the spraying problem (that's learned behaviour from when they mature
    It will get rid of the horrible tom cat scent though. It leaves their system approx 2 weeks after neutering.

anniehoo wrote: »
    It will get rid of the horrible tom cat scent though. It leaves their system approx 2 weeks after neutering.

THAT would be a tremendous start to fixing this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Im in the same boat as you. 2 toms im still trying to catch...the scent is awful :p but i quite like the little feckers. Yes its a learned behaviour but the scent will definitely go and the need to spray really should reduce too. Buy or rent a cat trap (google) and bring him in to be neutered.

That's my plan, although he could be quite tricky to catch, clever bugger that he is. Wish folk would neuter their cats, awful even to see the condition of this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

I had the same problem too last year. A feral tom just arrived one day, bullied our guy out of it & made himself at home. I got on to my local spca who advised me where to rent a cat trap for a refundable fee upon return & they contributed 30e towards neuturing him. I had no problem catching him with a nice smelly tin of tuna! Subsequently rehomed him to someone looking for a yard cat. Good luck!

treascon wrote: »
    I had the same problem too last year. A feral tom just arrived one day, bullied our guy out of it & made himself at home. I got on to my local spca who advised me where to rent a cat trap for a refundable fee upon return & they contributed 30e towards neuturing him. I had no problem catching him with a nice smelly tin of tuna! Subsequently rehomed him to someone looking for a yard cat. Good luck!

Thanks, I'm going to give capture a bash! Photos will accompany this adventure. :)

Advertisement