Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone or Samsung?

• 27-03-2012 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a smart phone and am considering getting an iPhone. I don’t like the idea of getting into an 18 month or 2 year contract because I may not be in the country for that entire time (work).

I had a look at the iPhone 4 S White 64MB to buy and it’s under £700. It’s alot of money but I was thinking that if I buy that version, then I’ll never need to keep replacing my iPod (they usually last 1 year in my experience) or have to carry it with me anywhere.

Have any of you done this? Is the phone a good replacement for the iPod?

I’ve also had a look at the Samsung GALAXY S II @ 450.

Can anyone advise me on what to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

iPhone is a perfect iPod replacement. You'll be carrying it everywhere anyway and it works with most iPod docks. If that's what you want get that.

I don't like android so i'd never touch a phone with it.

Try a Nokia Lumia 800 as an alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Get the Galaxy 2. No iTunes rubbish to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

srsly78 wrote: »

What rubbish is that? I do listen to a lot of podcasts.

With Android you are not restricted to using apple-only services. You can use whatever you want to play music or organise your library, or listen to podcasts.

Galaxy 2 is a top-end android phone, you will not be disappointed. As always there are better ones about to be released tho!

As always there are better ones about to be released tho!

When?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I want to buy a smart phone and am considering getting an iPhone. I don’t like the idea of getting into an 18 month or 2 year contract because I may not be in the country for that entire time (work).

I had a look at the iPhone 4 S White 64MB to buy and it’s under £700. It’s alot of money but I was thinking that if I buy that version, then I’ll never need to keep replacing my iPod (they usually last 1 year in my experience) or have to carry it with me anywhere.

Have any of you done this? Is the phone a good replacement for the iPod?

I’ve also had a look at the Samsung GALAXY S II @ 450.

Can anyone advise me on what to buy?

you've been buying a new ipod/mp3 every year? phones have been able to combine this function quite easily for the last ~7 years or so, i've not had a separate mp3 player since the release of the SE W800

since you have itunes, it may simpler for you to go with an iphone as it should all link up without too much fuss. personally, i'm not an itunes fan (to put it mildly), i prefer just to have all my music in an ever expanding windows folder that can simply be dragged to a new device whenever i upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I have the Galaxy S2 while my better half has the iPhone 4S, so I've messed about on both. Personally, I like the Galaxy S2 much better. With a decent ROM, you get much better battery life with the S2 than with the 4S. I prefer being able to drag and drop music and movies directly onto the phone via usb or over wifi. The phone natively plays every single format of video I've been able to throw at it. The screen is bigger on the S2 at 4.3 inches versus the 3.5 inches of the 4S. It's also thinner. The S2 is also slightly better in terms of processing power. Installing custom ROM's on the S2 is a piece of cake and there are some truly great ones out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

When?

the htc one range arrival is imminent. samsung GSIII is not far off either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

theteal wrote: »
    you've been buying a new ipod/mp3 every year? phones have been able to combine this function quite easily for the last ~7 years or so, i've not had a separate mp3 player since the release of the SE W800...

I'd add here that the SQ (sound quality) on iPods and iPhone wasn't a patch on a decent MP3 player until the iPhone 3GS/4 and the iPod Touch 2. Not everyone will be bothered by that however.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PhantomShrimp

I had an iPhone 1st Gen for four years and recently had the same conundrum you have. I also have a Samsung Galaxy tab.

Long story short, I tried the Lumia directly after the iPhone but switched pretty quickly. I weighed up the SII and the iPhone 4S (taking into consideration that the SIII would be out soon.) The SII was simply too big! I already have a tablet and, for me personally, the iPhone is the perfect size for a phone and is the perfect sub for the iPod.

Regarding movies, I have an app that will play anything I've thrown on the phone.

Another few points:
    The apps are cheaper in iTunes.
    You are used to iTunes and the iPod, the iPhone behaves the same way.
    You can sync the iPhone 4S wirelessly as well.
    Personally for me, it handles my Gmail accounts perfectly. This is the same on the SII but the Lumia fails here.

These are my own personal experiences and I am not slamming anyone else on here. I'm just happier with the iPhone 4S. Simple.

PS

• Advertisement

Cheaper apps you say? Cheaper than free?

For those who don't like adverts blocking some of the game? sure. :) Just thinking about Ninjump and the ad bar that runs across the top of the screen, I know they are different for every app.

Let me rephrase that as the above is a very valid point.

If you are someone who likes to pay for ad-free apps, then iTunes is cheaper. If you don't mind the ads then of course they are free from the Android market. There are a few games that only give you a level or two for free, eg Radiant, & that Dragon Tiny Wings copy, and then you have to pay to unlock the other levels.

But srsly78 is spot on and thanks for pointing that out. Eeeep.

PS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

TBi wrote: »
    iPhone is a perfect iPod replacement. You'll be carrying it everywhere anyway and it works with most iPod docks. If that's what you want get that.

I don't like android so i'd never touch a phone with it.

Try a Nokia Lumia 800 as an alternative?

Worst advice ever.

Android is great.

The iPhone is 250 more than the Galaxy S2

The Nokia Lumia is a piece of dog shít.

What rubbish is that? I do listen to a lot of podcasts.

Podcasts work with S2. As do every format of video/audio you can throw at it. It uses drag and drop not the iTunes rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

The apps are cheaper in iTunes.
    PS

:pac::pac:

I've been on Android for about 2 years now, and in total I have spent less than 5 euro on apps, and I have everything I need...

No contest IMO

plys wrote: »

I've been on Android for about 2 years now, and in total I have spent less than 5 euro on apps, and I have everything I need...

No contest IMO

For instance the FREE sat nav on the S2 is absolutely amazing. You have to pay a lot of money on the iPhone for something similar...

If ads really piss you off then you can root android phone + install adblock. Alternatively you can buy the app, the cost is pretty much the same as on the iphone.

plys wrote: »

No contest IMO
    FearDark wrote: »
    For instance the FREE sat nav on the S2 is absolutely amazing. You have to pay a lot of money on the iPhone for something similar...

I did correct myself. :o

Thinking back I don't think I've spent more than ~€10 in the iTunes store over the past four years :)

But I was wrong, and admit to that.

PS

If ads really piss you off then you can root android phone + install adblock. Alternatively you can buy the app, the cost is pretty much the same as on the iphone.

Does that work for the tablet as well? Unfortunately I only have the 10.1V and am not technically proficient enough to root the tablet. I looked at XDA and got lost fairly quickly.

Yes. Blocking the ads is pretty much the same as pirating the app FYI - both deprive the developer of income.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

No contest the Samsung Galaxy S2 remains the best smartphone ever released to date and i include the Galaxy Nexus in that as well, the reason iPhones are so popular is that everything works out of the box and that suits many people who haven't really the foggiest idea about technology in general and just want something that works, that is fine but lets not be fooled here the iPhone cannot compare to the SGSII in any shape or form plus you can only basically do what Apple allow you to do,the SGSII is bigger, faster and you can do so much much more, it has won multiple awards on various respected technology websites and has sold something like 23+ million worldwide and is still selling well almost a year after it was first released, as someone already mentioned especially if you have a custom ROM on your phone the possibilities are endless, my SGSII has never failed me once and it's amongst the best purchases ive ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

You dont really seem too into one or the other, so i'd go for the iphone, as itunes obviously doesnt bother you.

I've been using both for nearly a year, They're both great phones (i've a 4s and my wife has the sgII)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Basically if your not interested in technology or tweaking or customizing your phone like you can do with an Android phone the iPhone is the one you want,everything works out of the box, everyones phone looks pretty much the same, i couldn't be dealing being locked down to whatever Apple only allow like iTunes,etc but many people don't care about anything like that hence the popularity of iPhones although overall Android has overtaken then worldwide.

End of the day whatever you are into yourself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S2, and I have a Samsung Tab. I much prefer using iTunes with my iPhone. It might be bloaty, and apparently made by the devil etc, but it just seems to be a lot more robust. Though strangely, I did find that Windows Media player worked best with the tab (better than using windows explorer). I don't even want to talk about Kies, which is hands-down the worst piece of software I've used in a while.

Between the iPhone and the S2 - there doesn't really seem to be that much between them in real life from what I've seen so far. Most the benefits of Android over iPhone that are listed tend to be non-issues or just irrelevant for me.

I'd do the sums if I were you, that's a huge amount of money to pay for a phone.

My iPods have lasted years and years, albeit with light-ish use. If you're just getting a year, are you sure your phone will last too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭JPA

People are scared stiff of going on a contract but in the long run you would save so much if you did OP.

Crazy sums to be talking about for a phone when you can get them free or for a less than €100 with a bill.

With the possibility of me being out of the country for work for times of the year, and the fact I use about £15 per month on phone use, and the fact I'm sick of my iPod breaking down (the 6 month one I have is already on the blink), I've bought a £699 64MB iPhone.

Obviously a ridiculous amount of money but hopefully it'll do me for a long time. I'm really not into messing with my phone. I'd prefer to use it out of the box so I think the iPhone is the best choice.

Thanks for all your input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

JPA wrote: »
    People are scared stiff of going on a contract but in the long run you would save so much if you did OP.

Crazy sums to be talking about for a phone when you can get them free or for a less than €100 with a bill.

Depends on your usage. In my case going on bill would cost me the same if not more than what i'm paying now over the 24 months, and i've included the cost of the iPhone in my calculations.

Instead of a locked phone i get a fully unlocked phone with a direct-to-apple warranty (i've had friends with warranty issues with contract phones and they had to go to small claims court to get satisfaction). I can also upgrade whenever i like, move network whenever i like and am not tied to paying for usage when i'm out of the country (and using a local sim card to save money).

E.G. sim only bill pay on meteor is €20 euro per month, the same deal with an iphone is 45 per month. That's €25 extra over 24 months + €50 upfront which is €650... more than the price of the phone itself. It is a false economy.

With the possibility of me being out of the country for work for times of the year, and the fact I use about £15 per month on phone use, and the fact I'm sick of my iPod breaking down (the 6 month one I have is already on the blink), I've bought a £699 64MB iPhone.

Obviously a ridiculous amount of money but hopefully it'll do me for a long time. I'm really not into messing with my phone. I'd prefer to use it out of the box so I think the iPhone is the best choice.

Thanks for all your input.

I am curious as to why you stuck with Apple when all their products broke down on you?

TBi wrote: »
    I am curious as to why you stuck with Apple when all their products broke down on you?

Because I've had good reviews from iPhone users who have used other phones. They've told me they prefer the iPhone.

I think I'd like to try the iPhone once to make up my own mind. If it turns out to be crap, then I'll know to avoid for the rest of my days. It is very expensive agreed but it'll save me the bother of using my iPod.

Because of my lack of phone use, I had a look at the cheapest monthly rate and it was about £30. I would then have to to pay a good bit for the handset so I figured buying outright was best. Time will tell if I've made the right choice but there's only one way to find out.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 frogcheese

Iphone is easier to use.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Samsung galaxy is an unbelievable phone which doesnt scratch!!

Advertisement