Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone or Samsung?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes but the Galaxy 2 is a lot better, don't confuse op :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I'm curious about the "can use the iphone straight out of the box" advice seen a few times on this tread.

As i said my wife git a sgII and being technogically deficient, i popped in her sim and sd, turned it on, entered location, email, etc.. Very similar to the iphone.

How would people see the iphone as easier to use "out of the box" than the sgII

Because they have never tried using anything else and are just spouting the usual "iphone is best" nonsense.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Because they have never tried using anything else and are just spouting the usual "iphone is best" nonsense.

I couldn't care which is best, but would just like to know what is easier about setting up an iphone than a sgII?

As i said, i've set up both and hardly noticed a difference

You are right, there isn't much difference.

Android does come with many advanced features you can use, but these are completely optional. Maybe this is where they get confused?

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    You are right, there isn't much difference.

Android does come with many advanced features you can use, but these are completely optional. Maybe this is where they get confused?
    I re-read the tread and it's only johnny who said it was easier out of the box a couple of times..

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lougholad

whens the the galaxy s111 released :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

I'm pondering over a new phone too, and the size of the phone is important to me. The iPhone 4s is a nice sized phone, and the camera seems to be better than the competition.

It's a lot of money for a phone though. Damn you expensive smartphones!!

At first the sgs2 seems massive. But once you get used to it you will think the iphone was designed for midgets.

Does the sgs2 fit easily in pocket? Yes. Thus it is not too large. It's much easier to use a touchscreen device with larger screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I had a HTC and an iPhone at one stage so am pretty familiar with both formats android and iPhone and I definitely prefer the Android. Its far more customisable and can do a lot more, and you dont need apple everything to get the most out of it.

A friend of mine has travels by bus to work everyday and it takes about an hour and every evening he drops an episode of the wire onto his Samsung and watches that while on the bus. To do something like that on an iPhone would be far harder and would take much longer than the few seconds it takes him afaik. Maybe I am wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I have had both and the simplest way to look at this is that the Samsung shows up on your computer as an external hard drive. you can click into it, drag and drop pics, music, MP4 etc. iPhone has to connect & 'sync' for a bit depending on your processor capabilities can be a few mins. Also, I'm not sure on the iPhone (as mine broke incredibly quickly) but the Samsung o/s is constantly being updated so even the older S1 model can be updated with the same o/s as the newer phones. Extended batteries are available also which is a real benefit if you play alot of music & vids.
    Both have big icons you press to use app's both are a phone, MP3/4 player, camera etc.

Everyone will have their own opinion depending on what they want & need form a phone but one word of caution, don't listen to people that say iPhones are the best unless they can quantify the claim. These people are commonly known as iTards due to their blinkered belief that because it's an Apple product it's automatically better.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Everyone will have their own opinion depending on what they want & need form a phone but one word of caution, don't listen to people that say iPhones are the best unless they can quantify the claim. These people are commonly known as iTards due to their blinkered belief that because it's an Apple product it's automatically better.

I've found the reverse to be equally true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Eoin wrote: »
    I've found the reverse to be equally true.

Everyone has an opinion that is true, I hope though in my proceeding paragraph I quantified and explained why I believe the Samsung to be the better product, for what I want and need.

I could have just jumped on and said 'Samsung is better, full stop!!!!!!111one':D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭knowit12

I want to buy a smart phone and am considering getting an iPhone. I don’t like the idea of getting into an 18 month or 2 year contract because I may not be in the country for that entire time (work).

I had a look at the iPhone 4 S White 64MB to buy and it’s under £700. It’s alot of money but I was thinking that if I buy that version, then I’ll never need to keep replacing my iPod (they usually last 1 year in my experience) or have to carry it with me anywhere.

Have any of you done this? Is the phone a good replacement for the iPod?

I’ve also had a look at the Samsung GALAXY S II @ 450.

Can anyone advise me on what to buy?

Depends on how much music you have on your ipod. I only download songs that I'm actually going to listen to. Therefore the iphone suits me. If you have a lot of songs I wouldn't try replace your ipod with an iphone, simply reason that the iphone uses up a lot more memory then an ipod, apps,msgs,pictures,emails, etc.

I wouldn't go with that contract crap either - your left paying for a phone for 2 years (not good) try save and buy the iphone up front, means then you can sell it on when you wish, and the iphones are extermally easy to sell cause there is a high demand for them and they don't really lose their value.

Iphone all the way

Ps. Iphone 5 is rumoured to be released in Aug/sept of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi OP,

Opinions are opinions, absolutely meaningless because they arent your own.

What i would recommend however is going into a shop / playing around with a friends phone for about 20 minutes.

Send some messages try to make a call, play some music

Then make your decision. Forget all the rubbish in this thread.

I own an Ipod touch for my car music and have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus for my phone. Love Android but thats my opinion.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

I'm completely un-biased here. You should get the iPhone.

Sent from iPhone 4 16gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have an experia droid and a iPod touch. While theres things I like better on the Android 2.3.4 mainly the lack of restrictions, and the FM radio. I do think IOS works a little bit slicker, as do the apps. Much more of the android apps are a little bit clunkier. Things like predictive text I find better on the IOS. But whats better for me, might not be the best phone for someone else. So each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BostonB wrote: »
    I have an experia droid and a iPod touch. While theres things I like better on the Android 2.3.4 mainly the lack of restrictions, and the FM radio. I do think IOS works a little bit slicker, as do the apps. Much more of the android apps are a little bit clunkier. Things like predictive text I find better on the IOS. But whats better for me, might not be the best phone for someone else. So each to their own.

Your using an experia, awful awful comparison.....

did i say awful...

jonnny68 wrote: »
    No contest the Samsung Galaxy S2 remains the best smartphone ever released to date and i include the Galaxy Nexus in that as well, the reason iPhones are so popular is that everything works out of the box and that suits many people who haven't really the foggiest idea about technology in general and just want something that works, that is fine but lets not be fooled here the iPhone cannot compare to the SGSII in any shape or form plus you can only basically do what Apple allow you to do,the SGSII is bigger, faster and you can do so much much more, it has won multiple awards on various respected technology websites and has sold something like 23+ million worldwide and is still selling well almost a year after it was first released, as someone already mentioned especially if you have a custom ROM on your phone the possibilities are endless, my SGSII has never failed me once and it's amongst the best purchases ive ever made.

I second all of that! Love my SGS2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

BostonB wrote: »

On Android you have the option to install any keyboard from the market with better predictive text. There are many, Swiftkey, Slideit, Swype. You can't do this on an Apple device without jailbreaking and losing your warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

listermint wrote: »
    Your using an experia, awful awful comparison.....

did i say awful...

The OS is the same though. Well let me qualify that, ever Android device I've had, I'm on my 3rd or 4th now. The OS is tinkered by the OEM, so its never quite the same on any phone.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    On Android you have the option to install any keyboard from the market with better predictive text. There are many, Swiftkey, Slideit, Swype. You can't do this on an Apple device without jailbreaking and losing your warranty.

Oh I know I've tried most of them. But don't feel any are as good predictively as the iOS.

The camera on the iPhone 4s is a little better I think, better lenses and faster shot time. That said the SGS2 is almost as good and most people couldn't tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

donalg1 wrote: »
    I had a HTC and an iPhone at one stage so am pretty familiar with both formats android and iPhone and I definitely prefer the Android. Its far more customisable and can do a lot more, and you dont need apple everything to get the most out of it.

I don't think one platform necessarily easier to use than another. both are equally frustrating and refreshing when coming from the other platform, albeit for different reasons. My personal preference is for the iPhone because of the brilliant user experience on the phone itself, the great iCloud features and back-up, excellent Apple customer care and the huge eco system and availability of peripherals and accessories.

It's very much horses for courses, many of the more technical minded individuals on this board prefer the ability to customise and "play" with your phone. If you want to get a phone working, "right out of the box" then the iPhone probably has the edge. Many users here flash ROMs and themes to their phone to make it "perfect" for them. If you are used to Android and have invested a lot in Apps, then staying on Android may be best for you. That said, for the average user, I would wholeheartedly recommend and iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

OP, I'm sure this thread has cleared everything up nicely! You'll probably be happy with either to be honest. If you liked ipods you'll probably like the iphone.
    I've a galaxy s 2 and it's fúcking amazing! I think it's far easier to use than an iphone, you don't need any software on your computer if you don't want to, just drag and drop music or movies onto. Can even download torrents straight onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

My iPhone has arrived. So far so good.

Can anyone tell me how to copy contacts from my old fashioned SIM to my new micro-sim? The man in the shop did it initially but I then realised that most contacts were on my old phone. I have now transferred them to my old SIM.

Any ideas?

back to the shop with you, unless you personally have one of those sim copiers?

or there's the old fashioned pen and paper approach..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can you sync your old phone with your computer?

Squ wrote: »
    back to the shop with you, unless you personally have one of those sim copiers?

or there's the old fashioned pen and paper approach..

Ah fuk! I told the shop man to do everything so I wouldn't need to.

Thanks.

Eoin wrote: »
    Can you sync your old phone with your computer?

Mmm, dunno if I have a lead for it.. The old phone is a very old Nokia. Very old.

My iPhone has arrived. So far so good.

Can anyone tell me how to copy contacts from my old fashioned SIM to my new micro-sim? The man in the shop did it initially but I then realised that most contacts were on my old phone. I have now transferred them to my old SIM.

Any ideas?

Should have got the Samsung!

• Advertisement

Should have got the Samsung!

Nah, no regrets. I'm instantly cooler with the iPhone. I need all the help I can get.

Advertisement