Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking landlord for improvements, is it done?

Options
  • 27-03-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭

In all my years renting I've never done it

Me and the housemate are renting this apartment about three years now.
    And for the future, definitly see ourselves here this time next year

But the apartment is not in the best state of repair

It badly needs to be painted, the walls were shabby when we moved in and I'd say it's over five years since it was last painted. A nice paint job would brighten it up

And the couch is the cheapest of the cheap, it's hard plastic which is very uncomfortable and after years of wear and tear, the plastic is now cracking away. Maybe I weigh too much :pac:
    Not sure if plastic is the correct term, it's a damn cheap couch anyway, the worst I've ever seen

Rent is paid on time, the landlord is fairly good with the repairs.
    Only talk to him every six months or so, when the washing machine broke he got us a second hand replacement.
    Ok he was fast about it but would it have killed him to get us a new machine :confused:

Anyway, am I cheeky to ask for the flat to be painted and get us a half decent couch?

I know you'll say move on elsewhere but inertia is a very strong thing

Has anyone ever done this?
    If you don't ask you don't get I suppose but just looking does this ever work with landlords?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

My tenant asked me for a new sofa and a new bed last month.

My response? "Sure; pic one you like, email me link for approval, order it, deduct cost from rent, email me receipt and photo after delivery. Your budget is €x.xx."

Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

3DataModem wrote: »
    My tenant asked me for a new sofa and a new bed last month.

My response? "Sure; pic one you like, email me link for approval, order it, deduct cost from rent, email me receipt and photo after delivery. Your budget is €x.xx."

Simples.

will you be my landlord please you sound wonderful no really you do

OP why not say to your LL that you want freshen up the place with a fresh coat of paint most LL's let you buy the stuff and paint the place just deduct paint from rent, with regards to sofa well thats tricky some like above will do it most will not but chance your arm and ask all you can get is a no so whats the harm if all else fails have a look on adverts.ie you can get free sofas in good nick you just need transport and a trip to the skip with your crappy one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Of course its acceptable! Its up to the landlord to ensure that the place is livable to a decent standard, and its not unreasonable to expect things like broken furniture to be replaced and a cosmetic touch up every few years. If you moved out the place would need to be painted for the new tenants anyway.

So long as you are not being ridiculous in your requests then its fair game to ask away.

Advertisement