Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD

Options
  • 27-03-2012 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting a cheapish SSD drive to have my OS and apps on.

Is this one any good? seems pretty cheap anyway

115GB G Skill Phoenix Evo SATA Solid State Disk

€120.54 seems like a decent price, is there another option i should be considering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

For just a bit more you could get a Crucial M4 120GB. The guys around here seem to think they are the SSD to get.
    It's also SATA 6.0Gb/s where the gSkill is SATA 3.0Gb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What SATA version does your motherboard support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

the_syco wrote: »
    What SATA version does your motherboard support?

Good question! i have an old MSI 770-C45 at the mo, gonna be upgrading the CPU and Mobo soon enough to a Z68/i5 combo soon enough though.

I'll have to check compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

+1 on the M4

If your planning to upgrade to a Z68 then you will have SATA III so you might aswell get a SATA III SSD now, even if your current motherboard doesn't support it.

EDIT: and the MSI 770-C45 doesn't support SATA III

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    EDIT: and the MSI 770-C45 doesn't support SATA III

Damn, crappy old mobo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I used to have that board, I loved it :o

it unlocked a tri core to a quad, and a 960T to OC and unlock to 6 cores like a beast.

still going strong few years later. you likely wont see the difference in sata 2 and 3, I don't, but I'd still get the m4. if your budget can stretch, a Samsung 830 128gb is faster and looking like its a bit more reliable, but crucial is still very good.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I used to have that board, I loved it :o

it unlocked a tri core to a quad, and a 960T to OC and unlock to 6 cores like a beast.

still going strong few years later. you likely wont see the difference in sata 2 and 3, I don't, but I'd still get the m4. if your budget can stretch, a Samsung 830 128gb is faster and looking like its a bit more reliable, but crucial is still very good.

The board isn't too bad really. I just want to change to Intel now for the main PC. It's what all the cool kids are doing! i'm gonna keep the 770-c45 system as a server instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

The board isn't too bad really. I just want to change to Intel now for the main PC. It's what all the cool kids are doing! i'm gonna keep the 770-c45 system as a server instead.
    i did the same. ran a server with the g45 and athlon x3, but the electricity bill was still too high, so side graded to a P67 Extreme4 and a pentium G630. actually more powerful, and much, much lower power consumption. also being on the 1155 socket its easily upgradable to a gaming rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You can get a PCIExpress card that will allow you to use the SATA3 SSD. Got one at http://www.eurieka.ie a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Just installed a 256GB Crucial SSD to my laptop, speed difference is amazing. Old bootup time was 75 seconds, now its 23 seconds. Well worth it imo.

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote: »
    Just installed a 256GB Crucial SSD to my laptop, speed difference is amazing. Old bootup time was 75 seconds, now its 23 seconds. Well worth it imo.

75 seconds is a mental boot up time!

How old is the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

75 seconds is a mental boot up time!

How old is the laptop?
    lol, i dream of a boot time like that on my work laptop. :D

the horror of it is that it's a decent machine, core i5 M520 @2.4Ghz, 8gb RAM etc. but the standard windows build they use is bloated and the drives were very slow to start with and work makes us use 256bit whole disk encryption on them which knocked about 40% off the disk performance. takes about 4 minutes to boot to the desktop. :(

i'm seriously considering replacing the HDD with an SSD myself as even encrypted it should be a lot faster and I can use the original boot drive for storage in an internal caddy to replace my DVD burner as i hardly ever use it now anyway.

Advertisement