Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Defence isn't a major concern. To we not gave one of the better ones? Agger needs more rest so Coates should see more time and at least then we will know if he is up to scratch. As it is we haven't seen him enough so can't judge him.

Midfield needs a CM and a winger. We also need a goal scorer. There's value to be had out there so we should be able to fill those positions with first teamers and them added to what we have would improve us significantly.

No need to sell Reina. I don't gt this play Doni trend. What has he done to justify it? Is it some new twist on the Doni joke?

thats pretty major surgery to the first team alone. I think we need another centre half personally, not sure Kenny fancies Coates, although we have not seen enough.

There may be value out there, but you reckon Kenny will spot it? He didn't last season thats for damn sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jayob10 wrote: »
    have you watched much of Aquilani?

I have and I can tell you I find it extremely funny how folk seem to think he is the missing link.

He would be pasted for putting in 2 gutless, anonymous performances for every half decent one. he has flashes of quality, but he lacks heart, lacks a work ethic to flourish in the EPL, and most of all he lacks the desire to be in the UK.

I wholeheartedly agree that it was moronic to loan him out for 2 seasons, it was crazy in the extreme. But signing him in the first place was crazy.

Honestly think any talk of having him in the squad next season is pie in the sky. that ship has sailed, he will probably be shipped out for whatever sum we can get for him at this stage. no point bringing back a player who doesn't want to be here, just to sit on the bench so we can make a point that we won't sell him for peanuts, only to release him on a free when his contract is up.

Yeah sure, he'd be criticised by some of our fans for the same reasons they slaughtered Meireles, but who gives a **** if he won't be blood and guts. You plug Lucas / Henderson / Gerrard / Spearing in there with him, and you appreciate that he can pick a pass and turn possession and central control into danger and penetration.

We don't need a midfielder who is a complete world class package. We just need someone who brings things to the table that Gerrard / Lucas / Henderson don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Spurs would not have been predicted as CL qualifiers in May 2009, just as Newcastle would not have been predicted as CL contenders in May 2011. You simply cannot underestimate the pace of change.

This squad is not as far away as opposition fans would like to think. But that shouldn't bother you. You'll believe Arsenal are untouchable. Time will tell.

Spurs are outliers to a certain extent.

They've managed to get players above their station; City shat the pants in 2009 and should have beaten them - average players like Defoe, Palacios, Huddlestone and Dawson upped it a level. Its interesting to note that none of these, who were so instrumental in the first Champions League bid, featured hardly at all this campaign. The latest campaign they have those players that I've referred to as being above their station; Bale, Adebayor and maybe Modric are top quality players. They've also unearthed Kyle Walker and revitalised Kaboul. Spurs have spent well but they'll struggle to keep their players Champions League or no Champions League.

Essentially the point I'm trying to make is; yes, you can be an outlier for a season but to stay up there you need to unearth players that are better than whats above you. The players you listed in the original post that I alluded to are not.

Arsenal are far from untouchable, today is as typical an Arsenal performance as you'll get - its symptomatic of our last 5 years or so. But we do have a manger who has proven he can get it done despite all the derision and caricatures people throw at him so once we transition from being a selling club to one that keeps it players we'll be ideally positioned imo.

K-9 wrote: »
    And not one would be a suitable long term and first team partner for Lucas amongst the other 6!

Who gives a **** about two year's time? We worried about that in most of our transfer dealings of 2011 and where did that get us?

Lucas
    Henderson

Aqualaini

Lucas
    Aqualaini

Gerrard

Lucas
    Spearing

Gerrard

Lucas
    Adam

Gerrard

Henderson
    Gerrard

Aqualaini

It would be a serviceable rotation for a team with CL ambitions. We have limited money and bigger needs elsewhere.

Last summer I complained about our acquisitions of Downing and Henderson until people were annoyed hearing about it.

My new bugbear for the next while is Reina. He is now an average goalkeeper at best. Finished. I expect the same negative reaction. We'll see how it plays out. :)

• Advertisement

I agree to an extent. I take issue with these claims that our tactics are "outdated". Just lazy criticism from people who are dead set on portraying Kenny as a relic, in my opinion. I like the system we employ and the way we set up, it's just some of the players within the system...

My point exactly tbh.

Last summer I complained about our acquisitions of Downing and Henderson until people were annoyed hearing about it.

My new bugbear for the next while is Reina. He is now an average goalkeeper at best. Finished. I expect the same negative reaction. We'll see how it plays out. :)

Should have taken the £20m we offered for him. ;)

cson wrote: »

They've managed to get players above their station; City shat the pants in 2009 and should have beaten them - average players like Defoe, Palacios, Huddlestone and Dawson upped it a level. Its interesting to note that none of these, who were so instrumental in the first Champions League bid, featured hardly at all this campaign. The latest campaign they have those players that I've referred to as being above their station; Bale, Adebayor and maybe Modric are top quality players. They've also unearthed Kyle Walker and revitalised Kaboul. Spurs have spent well but they'll struggle to keep their players Champions League or no Champions League.

Essentially the point I'm trying to make is; yes, you can be an outlier for a season but to stay up there you need to unearth players that are better than whats above you. The players you listed in the original post that I alluded to are not.

Arsenal are far from untouchable, today is as typical an Arsenal performance as you'll get - its symptomatic of our last 5 years or so. But we do have a manger who has proven he can get it done despite all the derision and caricatures people throw at him so once we transition from being a selling club to one that keeps it players we'll be ideally positioned imo.

I actually agree with your analysis of Spurs, they have run good the past few years with signing success rates and player development in house. Their underlying structure is soft. But it also shows that we (or anyone else) don't need to fix all our problems this summer to be back in the mix for fourth next year, which is the point.

I agree that we would need any signings we make this summer to be a hit and for our better players to perform as well as possible for us to be in that mix - i.e. we would need some positive variance, but it is definitely in the realm of the possible.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Exactly. Say for example Liverpool signed Yohan Cabaye and Papiss Cisse last summer, would be right in contention for 3rd now. Liverpool on their day at the moment can beat anyone, the home form against lower end opposition is mental as much as anything this stage, a few key signings and Lucas back fit and teams wont like coming to Anfield again imo. The only problem is that not everyone has the amazing scouting network that Newcastle seem to have.

the one problem there though, is that we did not sign these players. Or players of that ilk.

The current management and scouting network have shown us no indication that they are capable of spotting cut price talent on the continent.

the one problem there though, is that we did not sign these players. Or players of that ilk.

The current management and scouting network have shown us no indication that they are capable of spotting cut price talent on the continent.

To be fair, there has been a pretty ****ing major shake up in that area! :)

• Advertisement

He's had a poor season by his standards.

Still a top keeper ;)

cson wrote: »

I see this another way, i'm worried that we are lagging so far behind Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and these clubs are not firing on all cylinders.

You can guarantee Chelsea and Arsenal will be alot stronger next season which is daunting.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's had a poor season by his standards following on from two average seasons by his standards - meaning he hasn't had a good season or one of "his standards" since 2008 / 9.

Still a top keeper ;)

FYP

I actually agree with your analysis of Spurs, they have run good the past few years with signing success rates and player development in house. Their underlying structure is soft. But it also shows that we (or anyone else) don't need to fix all our problems this summer to be back in the mix for fourth next year, which is the point.

I agree that we would need any signings we make this summer to be a hit and for our better players to perform as well as possible for us to be in that mix - i.e. we would need some positive variance, but it is definitely in the realm of the possible.

That's an honest assessment that I agree with; but imo you need to be improving upon the likes of Skrtel/Adam/Downing/Kuyt/Maxi/Henderson. You can carry a couple of those players but starting 3/4 of them and they'll drag you down. You don't need world class internationals in every position but you do need players able to do a job - United are fantastic in this regard with players like Park/O'Shea/Macheda down through the years. The times I've watched Liverpool struggle in matches I've thought players like I've listed above went missing; and I'd like to think I can pick out a player going missing given it happens a lot with Arsenal. You don't need to spend crazy money either; a couple of shrewd signings like Newcastle and Spurs have made would see you in the mix but the questions hangs whether the people you have at the club are capable of that. Obviously the departure of Comolli says the owners are aware of this but this summers business will tell a lot.

I don't agree with this, but I also don't agree with the view he is one of the best in the world.

It seems he has been deemed one of the best in the premiership and everyone has jumped on the bandwagon. His distribution and reflexes are top class, but he is prone to dropping clangers.

The only way i'd advocate selling him would be if we were struggling for transfer funds and needed to redistribute such funds to other areas of our squad and had a cut price talented keeper lined up.

That and at least 30million quid for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

You can guarantee Chelsea and Arsenal will be alot stronger next season which is daunting.

Guarantee? Really?

Not sure what's gonna happen at Chelsea, wouldn't be surprised to see RDM get the job & then be sacked by Christmas tbh. Will they have CL football to keep/attract players? Their elderly spine which in reality needs to be replaced wont be, and they'll all be another year older.

Arsenal is anyone's guess. Will RVP stay? Will he have another season like this or revert to the injury ridden player we knew previous? Will they have the lure of CL football to keep & attract players?

I see this another way, i'm worried that we are lagging so far behind Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and these clubs are not firing on all cylinders.

Spurs were firing on all cylinders this year imo. I know my posts here tend to have a derisory nature to Spurs but I genuinely respect what they've done over the past couple of years - Levy has done a fantastic job with them. The point still stands though that they have players better than where the club is at; will Bale, Adebayor, Modric and Van der Vaart still be with them next season? Touch and go.

Ourselves and Chelsea should theoretically be stronger; this season was both clubs worst season in almost a decade. Longer for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

El Spearo wrote: »
    Sure suppose the sooner we look forward to next season the better so.

Saving this comment till next season, it might only take a few games before you regret it. :pac:

I don't agree with this, but I also don't agree with the view he is one of the best in the world.

It seems he has been deemed one of the best in the premiership and everyone has jumped on the bandwagon. His distribution and reflexes are top class, but he is prone to dropping clangers.

The only way i'd advocate selling him would be if we were struggling for transfer funds and needed to redistribute such funds to other areas of our squad and had a cut price talented keeper lined up.

That and at least 30million quid for him.

Sorry to keep picking at your posts mate, but I'd gently suggest that his reflexes aren't what they once were and that is why he has dropped off so noticeably.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Guarantee? Really?

Not sure what's gonna happen at Chelsea, wouldn't be surprised to see RDM get the job & then be sacked by Christmas tbh. Will they have CL football to keep/attract players?

Arsenal is anyone's guess. Will RVP stay? Will he have another season like this or revert to the injury ridden player we knew previous? Will they have the lure of CL football to keep & attract players?

i think its fair to say they will be better than they were this season. Even if they do no better, its a huge gap we have to bridge.

Di Matteo won't get the job full time. Thats my view

Chelsea will buy better players, they have the money to do so and thats what they do.

• Advertisement

Chelsea have bought quite well for next season already imo; De Bruyne and Marin will do a job for them. The former player especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

thats pretty major surgery to the first team alone. I think we need another centre half personally, not sure Kenny fancies Coates, although we have not seen enough.

There may be value out there, but you reckon Kenny will spot it? He didn't last season thats for damn sure.

3 players is not major surgery. They also font all need to be long term. 1 or 2 shirt term that helps us get fourth and replace them then.
    He has gotten value but unfortunately it has been overshadowed by the big money ones. Hopefully a new a DoF can help here.

Im not sure he's finished. I think teams are creating a lot more clear cut chances agaisnt us which is the problem. Under Rafa we were set up to protect him more. A centre midfield of Spearing, Henderson and Gerrard can be cut through far too easily.
    I always thought Reina was suspect at corners and crosses but he great at being a sweeper. Very quick to spot danger. Distribution isn't what it use to be though. Cannot remember last time he set up a great attack.

Have to say some great posting on here tonight. Very reasoned, calm and not as much over reaction as I suspected would occur.

Sorry to keep picking at your posts mate, but I'd gently suggest that his reflexes aren't what they once were and that is why he has dropped off so noticeably.

His reflexes are not a problem at all, you watch him, he can hit the ground and be up like a shot.

Concentration and anticipation have been very poor though. Watch the amount of times he has been beaten on his near post. Thats his anticipation in question.

Nothing wrong with a bit of debate, I just think Reina was never as good as people made out, that being world class, he is a very good keeper though.

Even the years of winning the award for most clean sheets was down to having good defensive protection, rather than making save after save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm invoking the mike65 rule.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

FYP

Fair enough but I'd say we'll agree that a keeper is not top of the list of priorities. Some other positions are critical.

K-9 wrote: »
    I'm invoking the mike65 rule.

:confused:

Genuinely if we went into next season with the same squad of players as this season & were able to keep Lucas fit I think we'd be within touching distance of top 4. Our points per game with & without backs that up.

Add in players in their first year at the club improving a bit, particularly Carroll, Downing & Henderson. Maybe Reina not having a ****e season :p and really I don't think we're near as far away as some are suggesting.

As it is I expect;

1) a couple of new first teamers
    2) improved contributions from Carroll, Henderson, Downing & Reina
    3) Lucas to be fit

That happens & I'll be happy out tbh

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fair enough but I'd say we'll agree that a keeper is not top of the list of priorities. Some other positions are critical.

Sure - Doni and Jones are arguably the best no.2 and no.3 options in the Premiership at present! If they were all we had at the position next season it wouldn't be a problem imo.

3 players is not major surgery. They also font all need to be long term. 1 or 2 shirt term that helps us get fourth and replace them then.
    He has gotten value but unfortunately it has been overshadowed by the big money ones. Hopefully a new a DoF can help here.

Im not sure he's finished. I think teams are creating a lot more clear cut chances agaisnt us which is the problem. Under Rafa we were set up to protect him more. A centre midfield of Spearing, Henderson and Gerrard can be cut through far too easily.
    I always thought Reina was suspect at corners and crosses but he great at being a sweeper. Very quick to spot danger. Distribution isn't what it use to be though. Cannot remember last time he set up a great attack.

Have to say some great posting on here tonight. Very reasoned, calm and not as much over reaction as I suspected would occur.

an influential midfielder who can cover for Lucas or partner him regularly

a creative wide player who offers significant goal threat (matchwinner)

a centre forward capable of getting 20+ league goals a season (matchwinner)

Thats major surgery right there, and thats only for starters in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Genuinely if we went into next season with the same squad of players as this season & were able to keep Lucas fit I think we'd be within touching distance of top 4. Our points per game with & without backs that up.

Add in players in their first year at the club improving a bit, particularly Carroll, Downing & Henderson. Maybe Reina not having a ****e season :p and really I don't think we're near as far away as some are suggesting.

As it is I expect;

1) a couple of new first teamers
    2) improved contributions from Carroll, Henderson, Downing & Reina
    3) Lucas to be fit

That happens & I'll be happy out tbh

Honestly, I don't mean to be disrespectful of your posts, everyone has an opinion of their own but i think the above one is so far off.

I don't know where to start. If you think Lucas is the only missing link from then I would genuinely question your eyesight or indeed your understanding of how the game works.

We have no guile whatsoever. Downing and Henderson improving is not going to improve this. Suarez needs someone like himself to play off.

We need a tempo setter in the middle of the field. We need widemen with goal threat, Downing has offered little goal threat throughout his career never mind his season with us.

We also simply cannot rely on Andy Carroll to provide goals week in week out. Consistently this season it has been a case of being somewhat decent one week, and being poor the following week. Sure Kenny has not given him a proper run, but Andy Carroll is not a striker to fire you into the Champions league, he may do well with a run but it would be acceptable form for a top 8 club at best.

Sure - Doni and Jones are arguably the best no.2 and no.3 options in the Premiership at present! If they were all we had at the position next season it wouldn't be a problem imo.

Doni is a non runner to be Liverpool's number one, that would be ludicrous

If Reina was to be sold (hypothetically speaking in the extreme) we have to sign another first choice keeper. Doni is a back up keeper, not number 1 material.

Anyway isn't there talk that he is off to Brazil next season?

Honestly, I don't mean to be disrespectful of your posts, everyone has an opinion of their own but i think the above one is so far off.

I don't know where to start. If you think Lucas is the only missing link from then I would genuinely question your eyesight or indeed your understanding of how the game works.

We have no guile whatsoever. Downing and Henderson improving is not going to improve this. Suarez needs someone like himself to play off.

We need a temp setter in the middle of the field. We need widemen with goal threat, Downing has offered little goal threat throughout his career never mind his season with us.

We also simply cannot rely on Andy Carroll to provide goals week in week out. Consistently this season it has been a case of being somewhat decent one week, and being poor the following week. Sure Kenny has not given him a proper run, but Andy Carroll is not a striker to fire you into the Champions league, he may do well with a run but it would be acceptable form for a top 8 club at best.

A lot of what you say is true-ish, but it's undeniable that our points per game with Lucas this season would've had us knocking around 4th if it was maintained throughout the season. There were still problems throughout that period when he was fit, but we were relatively on course for getting where we wanted to be.

Some of the things people are suggesting we 'need' before we've any hope of top 4 are actually what we need to challenge for a title IMO.

an influential midfielder who can cover for Lucas or partner him regularly

a creative wide player who offers significant goal threat (matchwinner)

a centre forward capable of getting 20+ league goals a season (matchwinner)

Thats major surgery right there, and thats only for starters in my opinion.

3 players have scored 20+ in the league this season so far. The next closest is Yakubu 16 and Dempsey 16 And also Ba 16.

Holt, Fletcher and Gramham all scored over 10 not exactly top class but scored well.

United front three scored 45
    City 48
    Aresnal 36
    Spurs 36
    Newcastle 26.

Now Suarez has 11, Bellamy 6 and Carroll 4. Suarez missed 9 games so would expect him to add to his 11. Carroll if he plays anything like he has recently for prolonged periods should at least double his tally and bring in another striker of decent quality, and looking at the top 20 scorers he wouldn't need to be world class, who could add 10-15. That would over 30 goals from up front. Bettering Newcastle and giving Spurs and Aresnal a close run.

We've created a helluva lot of chances but didn't finish them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The analysis of Spurs is not quite complete though.

What they did long before was make very sound decisions off the pitch. They worked at it for years and had a better sponsorship deal than us, despite being out of Europe altogether. Their deal with Mansion house was giving them more money than our deal was in 2005 while we were lifting the biggest club cup in football. Just a snippet as to Parry and Moores incompetence in running the club.

There are a few similarities with us on the pitch actually, spending big on the likes of Bentley. But really, it took 4 or 5 years for it to eventually click for them.

daithijjj wrote: »
    The analysis of Spurs is not quite complete though.

What they did long before was make very sound decisions off the pitch. They worked at it for years and had a better sponsorship deal than us, despite being out of Europe altogether. Their deal with Mansion house was giving them more money than our deal was in 2005 while we were lifting the biggest club cup in football. Just a snippet as to Parry and Moores incompetence in running the club.

There are a few similarities with us on the pitch actually, spending big on the likes of Bentley. But really, it took 4 or 5 years for it to eventually click for them.

Well, I think it is fair to say that we should be in a good ownership / management position off the pitch in the short to medium term at least.

• Advertisement

3 players have scored 20+ in the league this season so far. The next closest is Yakubu 16 and Dempsey 16 And also Ba 16.

Holt, Fletcher and Gramham all scored over 10 not exactly top class but scored well.

United front three scored 45
    City 48
    Aresnal 36
    Spurs 36
    Newcastle 26.

Now Suarez has 11, Bellamy 6 and Carroll 4. Suarez missed 9 games so would expect him to add to his 11. Carroll if he plays anything like he has recently for prolonged periods should at least double his tally and bring in another striker of decent quality, and looking at the top 20 scorers he wouldn't need to be world class, who could add 10-15. That would over 30 goals from up front. Bettering Newcastle and giving Spurs and Aresnal a close run.

We've created a helluva lot of chances but didn't finish them.

Theres a reliance on our front men to score, because goals are not coming form the midfield. Thats the reality. When our front men don't score, then we don't win games. Barring a Gerrard purple patch.

So its imperative we improve on this front. And by improve, I don't mean hope Suarez and Carroll up their goal output.

We need a striker to play off Suarez, or else be capable of playing up front on his own whilst Suarez pulls wide.

Carroll is not capable of playing as a loan front man. We have seen this on numerous occasions this season. To see the best of him we need 4-4-2 and we will win damn all playing 4-4-2.

We need a forward who will be our main goal getter, plain and simple. Not another bargain punt in the hope of scoring 12-15 goals overall. We need to buy first XI quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Well, I think it is fair to say that we should be in a good ownership / management position off the pitch in the short to medium term at least.

I think we are in a good spot off the pitch, i still believe the owners are a bit 'green' though. But at least i see them making right when the feel something wrong has happened. Brian Barwick coming in was a swift decision. I cant help but feel he had a hand in Comolli's exit, i dont know why but i have a feeling.

Im not worried about finances, my only worry is the need for sound people in positions between pitch and upstairs management.

I'd like to see more goals from midfield and other areas tbh.

I'd like to see more goals from midfield and other areas tbh.

Ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

daithijjj wrote: »
    I think we are in a good spot off the pitch, i still believe the owners are a bit 'green' though. But at least i see them making right when the feel something wrong has happened. Brian Barwick coming in was a swift decision. I cant help but feel he had a hand in Comolli's exit, i dont know why but i have a feeling.

Im not worried about finances, my only worry is the need for sound people in positions between pitch and upstairs management.

T'fcuk?!

I totally missed that, went under my radar. A quick google says he was appointed to review the clubs communications, what exactly is his role?

• Advertisement

Mr Alan and I for a joint managership. We were wrong to shelf that idea so quickly, only gave it four months. Should have given it a fair chance at working and proving itself, at least 3-4 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

cant believe your talking about selling on pepe.....

alonso/masch/.. replaced them have we?

replace pepe with who exactly?

think the subject should be dropped,he's had a bad season,he's not hid from that fact,

he's quality and equally importantly he is committed to lfc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Hangover subsiding now.

Initial thought watching it in town yesterday was what the fck is Gerrard doing?. Surely Kenny told im to get closer to Suarez early on. Yet Gerrard goes out and sits in front of the back four, with Spearing and Henderson beside him and Suarez waving his arms like a lunatic. Madness. Suarez was completely isolated, not helped by the fact that Bellamy just couldn't get into the game. He had that one shot, but i thought aside from that Bellers did little else and i'm not sure he'll contribute much/anything next season, maybe his knees are too gone.

Enrique was awful yesterday. He's been poor since Christmas to be honest, and its a worry. Spearing was dire. He's is a horror passer if its not a 4 yard lateral pass to an unmarked man. Looked out of his depth to me, and before i get lynched i did say this before the off yesterday. Get well soon Lucas.

Not sure who the number 9 in red was. You could see him bursting with confidence, looked like the player at Newcastle, screaming for the ball. He deserved a medal yesterday, if the rest didn't. Why oh why can't he be like that every week, bullying defenders. We scored so few goals this season, yet can we go into next season playing anything other than Suarez and Carroll as our two up front?. Carroll was a completely different player yesterday, like a new signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

That is a ridiculous notion and is a fine example of how people can twist stats to suit their agenda.

Lucas was not the missing link to Liverpool breaking down Sunderland, Norwich, Swansea, Blackburn, Stoke, Tottenham, Arsenal, Wigan, Villa, West Brom and Fulham at Anfield in the PL this season, which were the results that are the difference between Liverpool finishing in the top 4 rather than ending up in mid table.

As said already, a couple of quality wingers, a consistent, reliable goalscorer and a high quality midfielder is needed to challenge, and even that won't guarantee you anything such is the competition you face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Not sure who the number 9 in red was. You could see him bursting with confidence, looked like the player at Newcastle, screaming for the ball. He deserved a medal yesterday, if the rest didn't. Why oh why can't he be like that every week, bullying defenders. We scored so few goals this season, yet can we go into next season playing anything other than Suarez and Carroll as our two up front?. Carroll was a completely different player yesterday, like a new signing.

I agree he almost looked like a different player yesterday. I was very impressed with Carroll, and honestly his goal (2 goals?! ;)) are making yesterday easier to take.

The thing is it wasn't so much the football he was playing that I was impressed with (although the way he took his goal was top class) but the intensity, energy and desire he played with. He was really fired-up. That kind of intensity has long been missing from his game, but yesterday he was brilliant, looked as if he was going to drag us into extra time all by himself.

I still have my doubts about Carroll's ability longterm and if he's suited to the team, but yesterday will certainly make me think. I hope he starts our last 2 league games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Chance missed yesterday Chelsea were terrible
    But we had too many passengers.
    Worst man on the pitch for me was Enrique he is useless with the ball at his feet all he has is strength nothing else.
    Reina was all over the place yesterday and sums up his disastrous season
    Spearing is a nothing player and will never count against quality sides.
    Thought gerrard did all right made some great challenges and was the only one trying to do something prior to Carrolls introduction.
    Bellamy and downing were both terrible.
    Henderson had a mixed bag but wasn't the worst
    Let the dust settle for a couple of weeks before we make any drastic decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Enrique needs to learn to pass sooner than... getting the ball taken off him or getting tangled up. Him and Downing's one-two's rarely end up with much. He was very McGeady in that game yesterday, running up the wing with no end product.

I still think he's class, though. Woeful yesterday, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Im so confused now.

Went into yesterdays game thinking that we need a striker urgently, and that Carroll is only a squad player.

But if Carroll starts to play like that, then he deserves a spot starting up front, with Suarez playing off him, where Gerrard should have been playing yesterday.

That leaves midfield to worry about. But with Lucas back, you are looking at a battle between Gerrard and Henderson for the last central midfield spot. Again, a few weeks ago this was a no-brainer, but i've seen Henderson improve despite playing beside Spearing, whilst age seems to be catching up with Gerrard. His timing and his pace have deminished, and he can't seem to make those bursting runs through midfield anymore.

Which leaves us with the Winger positions.This is our real weakness. Downing isn't good enough. Bellemy doesn't have much left in him. Kuyt and Maxi are off. Who's left? Sterling? Too young for now, but certainly should have a regular bench position next year, or if not, should be on loan to a lower (if thats possible these days) Premiership Side.

I think Defnsively we are ok. Could do with another LB, unless Robinson makes strides over the summer. We have good cover for Johnson at RB, and Coates is decent cover at CB.

So I think we should lineout similar to this next season.

Reina
    Johnson---Skrtel---Agger---Enrique
    Lucas---Henderson
    Winger 1
    Suarez
    Winger 2
    Carroll

However seeing as we spent 18m on a winger last season its highly unlikely that even 1 new winger will be brought in.

Fustrating times ahead.

He's had a poor run of form recently tbf.

Still a very good player but needs more consistancy. His positioning at times was terrible yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I have no idea why anyone wouldn't have wanted to start Carroll yesterday.

We were always going to play a midfield three with Gerrard, Henderson and Spearing.

The only three forward players who deserved a start yesterday were Suarez, Carroll and Bellamy. Downing should have counted himself lucky to be in the squad and Kuyt and Maxi haven't been good enough overall this season (though I thought Maxi should have come on at 2-1)

Now our season is actually over. I don't want to see Aurelio, Maxi or Kuyt in the last two games.
    At least against Swansea I want to see Coates/Agger at centre-back. Doni should start in goals. Robinson should play at left back.

Sterling and Suso to get much deserved chances from the bench.

Basically anyone who is not going to be at the club next season has no business playing in our last two games.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement