Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

when are the new shirts being sold? or when will be able to see what they look like.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

markie29 wrote: »
    when are the new shirts being sold? or when will be able to see what they look like.

Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Friday

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

What about analysis and criticism based on the season as a whole? We were terrible for pretty much the entire season. We played seriously ineffective football from day one. We scored very few goals, won very few home games and will finish the season in one of the worst positions for decades. We are just a few points off the bottom half of the table, we missed out on 4th, our target, by a mile.

Our transfers have been dire and the positions that need improving this summer are EXACTLY the same positions that needed improving last summer. Yeah, Lucas was injured and Suarez was banned for eight games - but wheres the backup? Because we spent big in both the CM and CF positions. We have gone backwards in the last 12 months, not forwards...I could go on.

I think all the above criticism is warranted and I don't believe it's knee jerk. Most of what you posted reads like petty excuses.

Agree with all this and really can't see how Kenny can improve next season because its not just as simple as saying if Suarez was not banned and Lucas not injured we will be fine. The team have no set way of playing. Chelsea might not have been great yesterday but they had a formation and a style to their game. We look like we need a moment of brilliance from someone to win games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

t's not a question of giving him one more season, it's a question of giving him 3-4 seasons and that is something I don't want. To me throughout the season he's shown himself to be poor in terms of tactical knowledge. He also seems to have no real idea what he wants to team/players to do which for me is the biggest worry. If he had a clear plan and was usin decent tactics and it really was just a case of bad luck fair enough, but it hasn't been. It's been poor tactics, poor signings, poor use of players and bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Friday

this week i finish 4 years of college....

im more looking forward to seeing this shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hate to infringe on the discussion with serious matters but who is winning the Superthread Fantasy Football league?....just had a look there and it looks like it is between the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Huge summer ahead now. Hopefully get in a decent manager and clearly some of the dross in the squad. If we don't nail our transfers this summer it could be a long wait for 4th.

If City get Hazard we should break the bank as soon as possible for Adam Johnson.

Anyone who doesn't think we need a central midfielder because we've got Lucas should remind themselves what relying on him this season did to the campaign. From what I know of him, Moussa Sissoko might fit the bill and we've been looking at a few Toulouse games apparently. Hopefully he'll be able to play in a midfield with Lucas or Gerrard if needed, or in lieu of either when out or as play dictates. He'd compliment both very well I'd say, but I don't know a whole lot about him admittedly.

Promote Sterling to replace Maxi if he still wants out.

Centre forward? Maybe. It depends on whether or not the player we sign to replace Kuyt can deputise up front when needed. Also relevant here is whether or not a new CM is signed and where Gerrard will be playing. Major issues this year have been getting players in the box from midfield and midfielders doing the work to create chances. Frankly I'm sick of seeing the ball played in from wide only for nobody to be keeping up with play, and of Suarez and Carroll back in the midfield winning the ball. I think Carroll and Suarez need to play together, and if we get Johnson in, a 4-3-3 would be awesome when we can afford to be a man shorter in the middle - i.e. at home. 5 wins at Anfield this season would see this classed as optimistic, but with a few changes I reckon we can capitalise on the dominance we've seen wasted so often.

Manager-wise, it depends on how much is made available for transfers. I wouldn't like to see Benitez come back if he was limited in his budget in the same way he was previously. And if it were the case that transfer-wise our budget is small, keeping Kenny may be our best option. So unless there's a better manager willing to put his reputation on the line at a club who's last three managers have failed to meet the people's expectations and who'd be happy with a limited budget, stick with Kenny. That or give Benitez a massive wedge.

We need Valero back as goalkeeping coach.

Most importantly of all, we need FSG to either build a stadium or sell the club to someone who will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

t's not a question of giving him one more season, it's a question of giving him 3-4 seasons and that is something I don't want. To me throughout the season he's shown himself to be poor in terms of tactical knowledge. He also seems to have no real idea what he wants to team/players to do which for me is the biggest worry. If he had a clear plan and was usin decent tactics and it really was just a case of bad luck fair enough, but it hasn't been. It's been poor tactics, poor signings, poor use of players and bad luck.
    I think it comes back to the decision to loan out Aquilani who was our best player in pre-season and then sell Meireles, we didn't replace either then Gerrard had a spell of injury problems, Lucas got injured the end of November and Adam hasn't quite settle into our system.

Spearing had played only 20mins in the league before Lucas' injury and there was a reason for this and it's because he's out of his depth. We had the chance in January to get a centre midfielder in even on loan but we didn't bother and it's in this crucial position that is causing the team to underperform.

When you look at previous years when we've had Gerrard, Hamann, Alonso, Mascherano, Sissoko, Lucas available and now we have Spearing, Adam, Shelvey and Henderson although Shelvey and in particular Henderson look to have the talent to succeed and they're both young it's still a big big drop in talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

markie29 wrote: »

00:01 on Friday or very very very very late Thursday.
    El Spearo wrote: »
    this week i finish 4 years of college....

im more looking forward to seeing this shirt.

Same, more looking forward to seeing the shirt than El Spearo finishing college.

• Advertisement

Johnson...could we get him? Always think he has been overlooked quite a lot.

He is way to good to be rotting away on a bench. Would love to have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

We need a centre midfield partnership so badly its almost frightening. DM cover/competition for Lucas and a decent all round CM are needed badly. A striker is needed also, fox in the box type....not to mention a decent winger. A lot of work needs to go into signing this season.

Sterling must get a chance in the last few games. I'm not trying to overhype the lad or saying he deserves it or anything, but he can beat his man cross the ball well, is pacey and skillful, i have no idea if he has it in him to step up but surely he should be given a go now.

Kennys signings in the summer on the face of it have been very poor, moreso because of how they were handled by him this season and the price paid.

Henderson might turn out to be a decent player, but was overused this season and played out of position. Not to mention the price. Adam is ok cover but again we over paid. Enrique is a decent LB despite going off the boil. Downing is so average and the price we paid is astounding.....however we missed out on Young, if we didnt how much better would it have been?.....a lot IMO but its pointless to debate really. Coates looks decent but again played far too little this season. Bellamy was an ok addition, handy as backup. I think a better manager might have got more out of them, but even if those signings were successful this season, we were still light in CM and ST positions

DM CM LW RW ST are needed, at starting 11 quality.......the problem is i wouldnt trust kenny to bring in the quality needed, or even if he can who of that quality would be willing to sign for what essentially is now a mid-table team. Will he even get the funds? My guess is we will have a new manager, and they will have money to spend but maybe not enough to bring in the required players. If Kenny is still in charge, i dont think he will get the required funds......it will be interesting to see how committed our owners are to making us successful this summer. Currently we are years behind the CL spots.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    If City get Hazard we should break the bank as soon as possible for Adam Johnson.

Anyone who doesn't think we need a central midfielder because we've got Lucas should remind themselves what relying on him this season did to the campaign. From what I know of him, Moussa Sissoko might fit the bill and we've been looking at a few Toulouse games apparently. Hopefully he'll be able to play in a midfield with Lucas or Gerrard if needed, or in lieu of either when out or as play dictates. He'd compliment both very well I'd say, but I don't know a whole lot about him admittedly.

Promote Sterling to replace Maxi if he still wants out.

Centre forward? Maybe. It depends on whether or not the player we sign to replace Kuyt can deputise up front when needed. Also relevant here is whether or not a new CM is signed and where Gerrard will be playing. Major issues this year have been getting players in the box from midfield and midfielders doing the work to create chances. Frankly I'm sick of seeing the ball played in from wide only for nobody to be keeping up with play, and of Suarez and Carroll back in the midfield winning the ball. I think Carroll and Suarez need to play together, and if we get Johnson in, a 4-3-3 would be awesome when we can afford to be a man shorter in the middle - i.e. at home. 5 wins at Anfield this season would see this classed as optimistic, but with a few changes I reckon we can capitalise on the dominance we've seen wasted so often.

Manager-wise, it depends on how much is made available for transfers. I wouldn't like to see Benitez come back if he was limited in his budget in the same way he was previously. And if it were the case that transfer-wise our budget is small, keeping Kenny may be our best option. So unless there's a better manager willing to put his reputation on the line at a club who's last three managers have failed to meet the people's expectations and who'd be happy with a limited budget, stick with Kenny. That or give Benitez a massive wedge.

We need Valero back as goalkeeping coach.

Most importantly of all, we need FSG to either build a stadium or sell the club to someone who will.

Not sure on Johnson, I think he is pretty over-rated. If we get him for less then £12m then it wouldn't be bad but I feel he'd cost a lot more. I think central midfielder and striker are the two main priorities. Outside of Lucas our CMs are all not good enough for a team with top 4 ambitions. I wouldn't promote Sterling either, I don't think he is good enough yet but more importantly it's a waste having him sit on the bench for most of the season. Either give more reserve game or else send him on loan, I think a 3 month loan would be best.

Centre forward is a huge need, Carroll just isn't good enough and I don't think he links up well with Suarez is the type of player that would suit him. Carroll will be fine for a sub option though.

Dotsey wrote: »
    I think it comes back to the decision to loan out Aquilani who was our best player in pre-season and then sell Meireles, we didn't replace either then Gerrard had a spell of injury problems, Lucas got injured the end of November and Adam hasn't quite settle into our system.

Spearing had played only 20mins in the league before Lucas' injury and there was a reason for this and it's because he's out of his depth. We had the chance in January to get a centre midfielder in even on loan but we didn't bother and it's in this crucial position that is causing the team to underperform.

When you look at previous years when we've had Gerrard, Hamann, Alonso, Mascherano, Sissoko, Lucas available and now we have Spearing, Adam, Shelvey and Henderson although Shelvey and in particular Henderson look to have the talent to succeed and they're both young it's still a big big drop in talent.

Selling Meireles was the worst decision of the two by far, no idea why we did it. Spearing is fine as a squad player, he'll never be good enough on his own against the top teams but I think as a stand playing alongside Lucas or a new Centre mid he'd be fine. He rarely gets much help from our other centre midfielders either. Seems to have a solid attitude and never hides. Playing the cup games, EL and even 5 PL games would be fine. As you said he played so little football I think shows that Kenny handled the situation poorly. The only thing our current midfield lacks is an Alonso type players, not easy to find though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

How would people feel about Mathieu Flamini coming in as cover for Lucas? I read somewhere he's on a free this summer. Of course we could still buy another first choice mid as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

How would people feel about Mathieu Flamini coming in as cover for Lucas? I read somewhere he's on a free this summer. Of course we could still buy another first choice mid as well

Could be a very good signing on a free his wages might be too big

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

murpho999 wrote: »
    Obviously it matters to you but for me once it became obvious that we weren't getting 4th then it didn't matter to me if we came 6th or 10th. Then the focus became the cups and we got one of them and reached another final.

Kenny got praised last year for taking us away from relegation and also showing them how to play football again.

Different scenario, Kenny got us momentum that led to a late chance of 4th spot. We ended up in 6th.....not that many people remember!

This season was going well till January and we all know it's gone wrong since then.Loss of home form, Suarez Ban, Lucas injury.
    Some good performances were turned into defeats by lack of chances being put away and inability to close out games. Defeats to Arsenal & QPR being examples.

Well I do believe it, I'm just not one for making rash knee jerk decisions.
    Like yesterday, no one mentioned Carroll before game and very few comments about the starting line-up then afterwards Kenny was an idiot for not playing him from the start. That drives me mad.

To be honest I'm getting fed up with internet analysis where every defeat or draw leads to massive criticism (of any team not just Liverpool) and defenders get torn apart for conceding a goal but it's just impossible to win every game.

What's needed is calm heads to sit together and analyse what went wrong and what should have been done and what can be done in the future and I think the owners, chairman etc and Kenny will be able to do that and reach a decision that's best for the club.

I genuinely don't think they are that far-off challenging for top 4 place next season A couple of signings and a bit more luck.

Will be tough as people seem to also forget they're are some very good sides ahead of them who will also be strengthening their squads so I think we just have to be patient as the squad is coming from a low base since 2010.

No doubt the majority here will disagree with me and I'll be called an idiot or Kenny apologist but I do believe that supporting a team does also mean sometimes getting behind them during difficult periods and not just calling for heads to roll all the time.

What you seem to be ignoring is the fact that some of those calling for a change are not the usual knee jerk merchants. Some have weighed everything up, taken the season as a whole and come to the conclusion that Kenny is not the man to take us forward.

Some of us put forward numerous reasons for this conclusion, poor judgement in the transfer market and being tactically naive. Failure to derive a response from the side after consecutive league defeats is the most worrying at all, which tells me that he is not the right man to motivate players that are not of top quality.

This is not knee jerk, he has presided over our worst league campaign in modern times. And thats not good enough even before you factor in additions he has made to the squad, who if we are honest will need to be replaced in the first XI if we are to have any chance of a place in the top 4.

Comments like "the media are obsessed with the league" are showing the man is either trying to deflect criticism, or else he is losing his marbles.

Kenny quite simply does not deserve the chance to be the man to oversee the kind of investment needed to make us competitive.

This myth that we are playing beautiful football is also just that. Its a myth. We commit damn all players into the box. We lose so many games due to having a lack of defensive balance in the side. Kenny is adopting a "go out and express yourself" attitude, and thats all well and good if you have excellent players. But theres no point telling Jay Spearing to go out and express himself.

Or Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson or Andy Carroll. These guys need to be told what their role is, specifically.

Too many times this season we have seen minute after minute slip by whilst Dalglish bends Steve Clarkes ear, or else looks on concerned unable to amend things.

Teams just know how to set themselves up against us, its as simple as that. Call it unlucky, I say you make your own luck. Theres not only a lack of graft, there is a lack of quality. This tells me he is not only unable to spot a player, he is also unable to get the best out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I can handle a disappointing season if I felt we were making progress but we have failed to put any sort of run of form or results together this season. That and the fact that our transfers were so poor are what really worry me going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I really don't think Adam Johnson would be much of an improvement on what's at the club already.
    I thought it last summer and I still think the same that the most important player Liverpool need to sign is a central midfielder to dictate the game.

Tusky wrote: »
    I can handle a disappointing season if I felt we were making progress but we have failed to put any sort of run of form or results together this season. That and the fact that our transfers were so poor are what really worry me going forward.

I'm pro Kenny. Think he is the man for the job, but can't help but feel that squad we have should be a lot better performing. No squad should simply be winning trophies of any magnitude and doing so incomparably poor in the league.

It all doesn't add up. Was it a case of the team knowing the league had gotten away from them? Did the Suarez thing just do too much damage?

The squad we have is not a 9th position squad. So is it Kenny's management of the team we should critique?

What will happen this summer will be a stab in the dark at the exact problem, hoping we get it right.

As this was the first year of a massive project, more progess needed to be made, to build on, and that's what I think was really lacking this year. A massive move in the right direction was lacking. Something to build on; a solid foundation.

Next season is now building on a poor foundation and could go either way. But the damage has been done, and we must live with the mistakes that have been made. All we can hope is that Kenny has learned from his mistakes, and news that he is looking at players such as Belhanda, certainly hints that he will drop his British transfer policy.

While we are not building on the foundation we needed to build on, I believe that the mistakes made were so glaringly obvious to everyone, that mistakes will not be repeated. Reasonable and relative pricing is essential, and beyond all shear quality, especially on the wings is a must. While I believe Downing has done far better than he receives credit for, he still isn't that game changer, McManaman style winger.

Hopefully moves will be made early to get some deals done before the Euros inflation kicks in. And puts some of us at rest that we know the right men are making the right decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'm pro Kenny. Think he is the man for the job, but can't help but feel that squad we have should be a lot better performing. No squad should simply be winning trophies of any magnitude and doing so incomparably poor in the league.

It all doesn't add up. Was it a case of the team knowing the league had gotten away from them? Did the Suarez thing just do too much damage?

The squad we have is not a 9th position squad. So is it Kenny's management of the team we should critique?

I cannot understand your position on this. Yes the squad should be better performing. Do you not think that the tactics employed and some of the team selection was at fault ?

The Suarez thing made little or no change to our performances. We were not winning the mickey mouse games before his incident and we still were crap when he returned.

Moyes at Everton had 50p to spend and still placed higher than us. We are a huge way behind the top two, and the next four in terms of points.

I would not question Kennys love or motivation for the squad and club but I do question his abilities. He is a manager for a different time. Football has moved on so much since he was a truly top manager and he has not kept pace with the changes.

Time for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I'm pro Kenny. Think he is the man for the job

On what basis? If it was anbody else but 'King' Kenny you wouldnt be saying that.
    but can't help but feel that squad we have should be a lot better performing. No squad should simply be winning trophies of any magnitude and doing so incomparably poor in the league.

Birmingham last season, Portsmouth a few years ago. It happens.

No. it was a distraction but to use it as an excuse for the teams dreadful league form is nothing short of pathetic.
    The squad we have is not a 9th position squad.

Yes it is. Downing, Carroll, Henderson, Adam, Spearing, Carragher, Enrique, Bellamy, Kuyt are all mid table/Championship players. Gerrard is past it and can't get through half a season without being crocked. Suarez, Lucas, Reina and Agger are the only genuinely class players you have and even they're not top standard. Reina isn't even arsed anymore.

Your current league position is a good reflection of the ability of the squad. Especially to think you didn't even have the excuse of the distraction of European football.
    So is it Kenny's management of the team we should critique?

What kind of stupid question is this? Of course the buck stops with KD.
    What will happen this summer will be a stab in the dark at the exact problem, hoping we get it right.

The manager is the problem. Poor quality signings and not a clue how to get the best out of his own players.
    As this was the first year of a massive project, more progess needed to be made, to build on, and that's what I think was really lacking this year. A massive move in the right direction was lacking. Something to build on; a solid foundation.

You've gone backwards this season because a load of money was spunked on duds and now you're stuck with them or at least most of them.
    Next season is now building on a poor foundation and could go either way. But the damage has been done, and we must live with the mistakes that have been made. All we can hope is that Kenny has learned from his mistakes, and news that he is looking at players such as Belhanda, certainly hints that he will drop his British transfer policy.

Why does KD deserve the opportunity to right his disastrous wrongs? Would any other manager be afforded that chance, or are we back to the sentimental ''Oh, It's Kenny, we can't sack him'' ****e?
    While we are not building on the foundation we needed to build on, I believe that the mistakes made were so glaringly obvious to everyone, that mistakes will not be repeated. Reasonable and relative pricing is essential, and beyond all shear quality, especially on the wings is a must. While I believe Downing has done far better than he receives credit for, he still isn't that game changer, McManaman style winger.

You need a lot more than a winger. And what the team needed was obvious last year too but Kenny ****ed it up in the Summer with his signings, what evidence is there to suggest he'd get it right this time? None.
    Hopefully moves will be made early to get some deals done before the Euros inflation kicks in. And puts some of us at rest that we know the right men are making the right decisions.

I'd be shocked if your owners trusted KD with another penny.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I cannot understand your position on this. Yes the squad should be better performing. Do you not think that the tactics employed and some of the team selection was at fault ?

The Suarez thing made little or no change to our performances. We were not winning the mickey mouse games before his incident and we still were crap when he returned.

Moyes at Everton had 50p to spend and still placed higher than us. We are a huge way behind the top two, and the next four in terms of points.

I would not question Kennys love or motivation for the squad and club but I do question his abilities. He is a manager for a different time. Football has moved on so much since he was a truly top manager and he has not kept pace with the changes.

Time for a change.

I believe the technical term for my position is on the fence.

I'd be shocked if your owners trusted KD with another penny.

They still need him onside or they owners will end up hated and no matter who they drop in, will be disliked from the start. I still think KD needs to step aside but they need him to do it himself and become ambassador again.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cUHuj_-2WAM/TzOTo85MveI/AAAAAAAAAjk/WUzSQZ6zxbk/s1600/cncptsht2a.png

probably debunked already, but a nice looking shirt

actually on closer inspection it is almost certainly faked...but still nice! sorry the pic was massive

Selling Meireles was the worst decision of the two by far, no idea why we did it. Spearing is fine as a squad player, he'll never be good enough on his own against the top teams but I think as a stand playing alongside Lucas or a new Centre mid he'd be fine. He rarely gets much help from our other centre midfielders either. Seems to have a solid attitude and never hides. Playing the cup games, EL and even 5 PL games would be fine. As you said he played so little football I think shows that Kenny handled the situation poorly. The only thing our current midfield lacks is an Alonso type players, not easy to find though.
    Meireles requested to leave and similar to Torres we had no choice, but the problem is we never bothered to replace him.

Spearing doesn't hide, but he's so ponderous on the ball he can't contribute anything going forward. Defensively he get's stuck in but he has no tactical brain, he spent too long yesterday looking around for Mata and was at sea. He lost possession for both goals. I have the feeling that if Spearing wasn't Scouse and a product of our youth system then he wouldn't be anywhere near the team.
    Flamini would be excellent, have always liked him but he has only played once this season following an ACL injury so it would be a gamble to take when we don't know his fitness.

Personally I'd look at Gago who's loan is up at Roma and Madrid would probably be happy to offload him. But if we wanted to spend money then the obvious one would be Javi Martinez and Khedira is another player I like a lot but for these two a team out of the CL might not be attractive

• Advertisement

Meireles requested to leave and similar to Torres we had no choice, but the problem is we never bothered to replace him.

Spearing doesn't hide, but he's so ponderous on the ball he can't contribute anything going forward. Defensively he get's stuck in but he has no tactical brain, he spent too long yesterday looking around for Mata and was at sea. He lost possession for both goals. I have the feeling that if Spearing wasn't Scouse and a product of our youth system then he wouldn't be anywhere near the team.

We had no choice? So was it written into his contract that once he handed in a transfer request it had to be granted? Of course Spearing would be near our team, there is no one else who can play as a DM.

They still need him onside or they owners will end up hated and no matter who they drop in, will be disliked from the start. I still think KD needs to step aside but they need him to do it himself and become ambassador again.
    well get him back working with McParland running the Academy and in an ideal world we would get the man who was manager when he was brought back into the managerial seat again.

I honestly don't think KD would step aside as I think he believes he's doing a good job and will turn it around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Willmunny for the most part. I think Carroll could prove to be a top player yet but other than that I agree with everything else he said.

I'm really worried for Liverpool. Kenny needs to go and we need at least 5 quality replacements to get us back into contention for champions league places. I can't see it happening after we spunked all that money on complete dross last season.

We had no choice? So was it written into his contract that once he handed in a transfer request it had to be granted? Of course he'd be near our team, there is no one else who can play as a DM.
    No i agree with you that we shouldn't have allowed him leave considering he made a big impact since KD came back last January but he wasn't replaced when the decision to let him go was taken and that's the problem.

See that's my point about Spearing, to be ruthless he's just not good enough and never will be. I know we're thin in that position but to be in a position to be playing Spearing every week tells the tale of why we're struggling, Spearing would not get a regular game for another club in the PL I think he's Championship level at best simple as that.

See that's my point about Spearing, to be ruthless he's just not good enough and never will be. I know we're thin in that position but to be in a position to be playing Spearing every week tells the tale of why we're struggling, Spearing would not get a regular game for another club in the PL I think he's Championship level at best simple as that.

He's good enough as a squad team player and certainly good enough to make it in the PL. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise tbh. The only time he gets exposed is again the good teams. Up against other average premier league players and clubs he gets on fine and that's because he's an average premiership player.

• Advertisement

What the fcuk has happened to Enrique? I never got too carried away at the start of the season about him but he's just got so bad lately it's unbelievable.
    Easily his worst performance for me in a Liverpool shirt. I think he sh1t himself as his passing was just so bad you couldn't make it up.
    At fault for the first goal and sloppy in general all game. I think we'll need to find a new Left back again. We can't sort this position.

He's good enough as a squad team player and certainly good enough to make it in the PL. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise tbh. The only time he gets exposed is again the good teams. Up against other average premier league players and clubs he gets on fine and that's because he's an average premiership player.
    and average PL players belong in Liverpool's squad? the fact we're relying on Spearing after a couple of injuries tells we need better cover. Spearing to me is similar to players like Hammill, Anderson, Hobbs, Warnock etc if they can't cut it at the top level move them on. We know he's never going to be good enough and in a rebuilding process we can't have loose or bad bricks

WB WILLY

amiable wrote: »
    What the fcuk has happened to Enrique? I never got too carried away at the start of the season about him but he's just got so bad lately it's unbelievable.
    Easily his worst performance for me in a Liverpool shirt. I think he sh1t himself as his passing was just so bad you couldn't make it up.
    At fault for the first goal and sloppy in general all game. I think we'll need to find a new Left back again. We can't sort this position.

I think you are looking too closely at the last game in fairness. All season, he has been good. Last game, yes, he was awful.

and average PL players belong in Liverpool's squad? the fact we're relying on Spearing after a couple of injuries tells we need better cover. Spearing to me is similar to players like Hammill, Anderson, Hobbs, Warnock etc if they can't cut it at the top level move them on. We know he's never going to be good enough and in a rebuilding process we can't have loose or bad bricks

I'm not SPearing's biggest fan but he's a lot better than the first 3 names you mentioned IMO

I think you are looking too closely at the last game in fairness. All season, he has been good. Last game, yes, he was awful.

He's been crap for a while in fairness. Yesterday was his worst performance as I've stated already but I'm still of the opinion he's not good enough to be first choice LB at Liverpool.
    Reina needs to improve too

I wonder will we reinvigorate our interest in Lahm, think that ship has sailed though on many accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

I have to disagree to with this perception that Enrique has been a really successful signing.

To my mind he's been pretty average, not just lately but all season.

He's not a great footballer, by that I mean, he doesn't think quickly enough, doesn't have great technique or control and is generally very limited when on the ball.

On the plus side he is strong and quick which allows him to defend most situations competently.

The problem is that a team striving for Top 4 needs an outlet at full back that amounts to more than Enrique's strengths. Someone like Clichy at City who incidentally we were intersted in last summer before he moved to Manchester, is the epitome of the modern full back that we lack.

I wonder will we reinvigorate our interest in Lahm, think that ship has sailed though on many accounts.

I was talking to people in London at the weekend who say it will be mostly younger players Liverpool sign this summer so I'd say we won't breaking the bank too often for established stars like Lahm.

I'm not SPearing's biggest fan but he's a lot better than the first 3 names you mentioned IMO
    I know he is but they're just examples of players that were highly rated as kids and didn't have it for the top top level so we moved them on rather than waste time on them.

• Advertisement

Expecting to have a squad of top class players is pretty ridiculous to be honest and not possible unless we get in some billionaire City-eque owners which won't be happening anytime soon. Also spending a large chunk of money on a second string DM when we have far more important problems also seems a bit stupid.

I know he is but they're just examples of players that were highly rated as kids and didn't have it for the top top level so we moved them on rather than waste time on them.

He was worth a punt this season IMO as a backup in such a turbulent few months

Slimity wrote: »
    The problem is that a team striving for Top 4 needs an outlet at full back that amounts to more than Enrique's strengths. Someone like Clichy at City who incidentally we were intersted in last summer before he moved to Manchester, is the epitome of hte modern full back that we lack.
    Clichy like Ashley Young and Phil Jones were the players we moved for last summer and ended up with Enrique, Downing and Coates. It's the downside of not eating at the top table i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Clichy like Ashley Young and Phil Jones were the players we moved for last summer and ended up with Enrique, Downing and Coates. It's the downside of not eating at the top table i suppose

Hold on a minute - Coates is a far better CB than Jones.

I was talking to people in London at the weekend who say it will be mostly younger players Liverpool sign this summer so I'd say we won't breaking the bank too often for established stars like Lahm.

I don't know you and I am not being a smart arse, but who in london can inform you on liverpools signings ? I am genuinely curious.

I would have thought it was a given they want younger players to rebuild a squad.

Liverpool sign Bent.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/05/06/liverpool-line-up-move-for-aston-villa-striker-darren-bent/

He was worth a punt this season IMO as a backup in such a turbulent few months
    He was worth a punt considering our injuries in that position and I'd rather us risk him than someone like Poulsen for example whom we had last year but now is not the time for passengers

Liverpool sign Bent.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/05/06/liverpool-line-up-move-for-aston-villa-striker-darren-bent/

Ah Jaysus

G.K. wrote: »
    Hold on a minute - Coates is a far better CB than Jones.
    It will take a year or two to find that out for definite as both are young, but we did match United's bid for Jones and were turned down by him and then we went after Coates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

It will take a year or two to find that out for definite as both are young, but we did match United's bid for Jones and were turned down by him and then we went after Coates

Coates is a starter for Uruguay and Best Youg Player of Copa America 2011. Jones could easily not go to the Euros with England, a far inferior nation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement