Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Is there any chance aquilani will play for us next season? Or will we loan him?

again...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

again...

Weekend just got worse :mad:

amiable wrote: »
    Weekend just got worse :mad:

Its nearly tuesday :D

K-9 wrote: »
    You came down a bit harsh on Dotsey. We'll never get 100% quotes and stories on these.

Going on what Comolli said, missing on a couple of first team targets, remarks about Enrique, I'd say Clichy was missed out on and very sad I was to see it. Enrique I think is a good FB but i felt the praise, after his first couple of months excellent start, became OTT. Best LB in the league and all that, almost over compensating because of the other signings.

Having said that, some of the criticism is OTT. I think he has excellent technique for a very one footed player but against the top teams, he's too predictable. Ideally I'd be looking to improve but we've more pressing concerns.

Young was widely reported on but as you said, widely reported his heart was set on United.

Jones seemed more complicated, remember the whole get out clause thing. I'd say we had expressed interest but once United came in.............

One thing Dalglish should lhave learned is if we don't get our first target, don't go straight to target 2. Reappraise and look again.

Sorry if it seemed I came down a bit harsh on Dotesy.
    I was a bit tired and emotional last night and that wasn't the intention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

again...

We should hang onto him unless we bring in at least two players of genuine quality for the centre, but knowing us we will send him out again to an Italian club (probably Napoli or Lazio) and see another year get run down on his contract whilst we pick up the bulk of his wages whilst he is out on loan.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aqua man should be told to set fire to his own contract in front of the LFC tv cameras when he comes back.

Kess73 wrote: »
    We should hang onto him unless we bring in at least two players of genuine quality for the centre, but knowing us we will send him out again to an Italian club (probably Napoli or Lazio) and see another year get run down on his contract whilst we pick up the bulk of his wages whilst he is out on loan.:(

Should probably hope to hold onto him so to prevent 1 less spend.

What would be the deal with cancelling/terminating his contract on the other hand to cut out the wage part? Im not much in the know in that respect, would we have to pay him off? Probably would end up costing us more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

http://wap.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/05/07/valencia_emery_pellegrino/

Pellegrino takes the valencia job, Emery off to spartak Moscow.

Feck! Thats one option less.

mike65 wrote: »

Are you convinced Kenny won't be in charge come August?

• Advertisement

I hope the Clint Dempsey rumours aren't genuine

Are you convinced Kenny won't be in charge come August?

Well I'd say its 70/30 right now. I tend to think that if Dalglish is safe it'll be because there is no one on the board truly capable of hiring a replacement. Ian Ayre is a money man, Werner and Henry won't know who to phone (Klinsmann!?) and would one trust their judgement?
    I hope the Clint Dempsey rumours aren't genuine

Apparently Arsenal are after him, RVP must be offski!

Well I'd say its 70/30 right now. I tend to think that if Dalglish is safe it'll be because there is no one on the board truly capable of hiring a replacement. Ian Ayre is a money man, Werner and Henry won't know who to phone (Klinsmann!?) and would one trust their judgement?

Apparently Arsenal are after him, RVP must be offski!

Podolski and Dempsey at Arsenal would probably mean RVP is off.

On Kenny I think he'll be in charge come August. There has to be someone giving Henry and Werner advice.
    Who this is I don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Roberto Martinez would be a breath of fresh air at Liverpool
    Extremely clever good at getting average players playing attractive football which Liverpool have in abundance

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

For a post quoted above..

AFAIK Jones was all set for a transfer to Liverpool, it was arranged in January. Him & Henderson had become good friends from their time together at the underage set up at England, then during the u21's, something was up and Jones was a bit off. (this was in due course the meetings with United) and then there was the whole saga with the United medical and Jones ended up signing for United.

As for Aquilani, I think he will sign for Fiorentina. Milan have just snapped up Montilivo (sp) on a free so a like for like replacement I would imagine there. Funny how people forget that we have still only payed the guts of €8m for him, as he didn't play that much for us in the league, or in the CL which was a hefty part of the price, or win a trophy while registered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

For a post quoted above..

AFAIK Jones was all set for a transfer to Liverpool, it was arranged in January. Him & Henderson had become good friends from their time together at the underage set up at England, then during the u21's, something was up and Jones was a bit off. (this was in due course the meetings with United) and then there was the whole saga with the United medical and Jones ended up signing for United.

As for Aquilani, I think he will sign for Fiorentina. Milan have just snapped up Montilivo (sp) on a free so a like for like replacement I would imagine there. Funny how people forget that we have still only payed the guts of €8m for him, as he didn't play that much for us in the league, or in the CL which was a hefty part of the price, or win a trophy while registered here.

except this part isn't true is it.

The breakdown of the fee is in the public domain. there was a €20million (£18million) base fee to be paid. The final €5 was to be paid in June of last year.

The add ons were extra, and these were determined by appearances, trophies and champions league qualification.

Roma also got a 5% sell on clause.

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2009/11/alberto-aquilani-truth-about-his.html

The transfer was just a really horrendous piece of business. Shameful, when you factor in the 2 seasons he has spent on loan also.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Jayob10 wrote: »
    except this part isn't true is it.

ah, you're right. I forgot about the middle €15m :o I just remembers the original £5m being owed to Liverpool by Roma as part of the JAR transfer.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    The transfer was just a really horrendous piece of business. Shameful, when
    you factor in the 2 seasons he has spent on loan also.

Have you read the interview Rafa gave on the Aqua transfer? it's very insightful, like how he was only allowed to do deals with clubs that owed the club money or cost very little ( Johnson - Crouch/Pompey & Aqua - JAR/Roma ) and how we wanted a base midfield 4 of Lucas, Masch, Aqua & Gerrard with Jovetic to play in the middle behind Torres, but alas interest repayments were more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Have you read the interview Rafa gave on the Aqua transfer? it's very insightful, like how he was only allowed to do deals with clubs that owed the club money or cost very little ( Johnson - Crouch/Pompey & Aqua - JAR/Roma ) and how we wanted a base midfield 4 of Lucas, Masch, Aqua & Gerrard with Jovetic to play in the middle behind Torres, but alas interest repayments were more important.

Here's what you could have won...

:-/

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Makes me sad to read stuff like this :( Damn you H & G!! :mad::mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

You are in luck my friend, we are playing to a similar standard.

Genuine lol :D
    NukaCola wrote: »
    This thread is in bad need of some good news.......... :(

Thread needs more pics of Linda during times like these icon_cheers.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

ah, you're right. I forgot about the middle €15m :o I just remembers the original £5m being owed to Liverpool by Roma as part of the JAR transfer.

If this was true, its a pity Rafa didn't sign Jovetic first.

I'm not gunna walk over old ground, but signing Aquilani was a bizarre move it really was. All aspects of the transfer, the actual fee, his suitability for English football, his injury history and the fact he was injured when we signed him. And then Rafa did not use him enough when he was actually fit.

Something just didn't add up, and i'm not sure Rafa would be frank enough to tell us anything other than stories that paint Rafa himself in a better light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

If this was true, its a pity Rafa didn't sign Jovetic first.

I'm not gunna walk over old ground, but signing Aquilani was a bizarre move it really was. All aspects of the transfer, the actual fee, his suitability for English football, his injury history and the fact he was injured when we signed him. And then Rafa did not use him enough when he was actually fit.

Something just didn't add up, and i'm not sure Rafa would be frank enough to tell us anything other than stories that paint Rafa himself in a better light.
    Nobody from within the club (Hicks, Gillett, Purslow etc) has ever contradicted Rafa's version of events which leads to the assumption that he's probably telling the truth. We know in that summer he was under the illusion he had the £16m from selling Keane in January available plus Alonso wanted to go to Real Madrid which gave us another £30m which was paid upfront plus the £3.5m for Arbeloa and the £3m for Leto who strangely couldn't get a work permit. During the season we sold Dossena, Mihaylov and Voronin for a combined £8m.

All we spent was £17m rising to a max of £20m for Aquilani which was in spread out installments.
    Liverpool could pay £20,000,000 for Aquilani.
    - £255,000 for each time LFC reach the Champions League from 2010/11 - 2014/15.
    - £212,000 after Aquilani plays 35, 70, 105 and 140 games.
    - £850,000 if LFC win the Premier or Champions League before 2014.

£17.5m on Johnson of which Portsmouth already owed us £7.5m and £2m on Kyrgiakos but to factor in that for both Johnson and Aquilani we were owed sums from Riise, Crouch and Pennant. Rafa claims that before we went for Kyrgiakos he wanted Jovetic and a centre back, but was then told that he only had £2m left to spend because the transfer already done had to include their wages as part of the budget and he prioritised a centre back for the remaining £2m. Rafa has hinted that the interest repayments on loans by H&G were the real reason the budget was pulled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dotsey wrote: »
    and the £3m for Leto who strangely couldn't get a work permit.

Never really had a hope of getting a work permit. Was bought on the basis that he had Italian citizenship, which got revoked after he joined. To get a "special talent" work permit, he'd have had to have played 80% of Argentina's internationals over the previous few years, or done something else extraordinary.

That saga really ended up screwing over Liverpool though, considering he's been scoring plenty in Greece. 1 in 3 record for Panathinaikos, overall, but in reality he's much more prolific than that, as he didn't score much for his first two seasons there. Captain for them now too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Never really had a hope of getting a work permit. Was bought on the basis that he had Italian citizenship, which got revoked after he joined. To get a "special talent" work permit, he'd have had to have played 80% of Argentina's internationals over the previous few years, or done something else extraordinary.

That saga really ended up screwing over Liverpool though, considering he's been scoring plenty in Greece. 1 in 3 record for Panathinaikos, overall, but in reality he's much more prolific than that, as he didn't score much for his first two seasons there. Captain for them now too I think.

he was unreal in fm 2007/8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Looks like one of the players on many peoples wishlist, Yann M'Vila is off to Arsenal. If rumours are to be believed he'll cost about a Henderson.....

Puts things in perspective tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I took a break and reflected on things after the cup final. I think Kenny has to step aside now. If we had won the cup it might have given him a reprieve but it would only be papering over the cracks. Looking at the team from Saturday I would keep the following.

Reina

Johnson
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Enrique

Henderson --- Spearing (new player)---

Bellamy (new player)
    Gerrard
    Downing

Suarez

I think the nucleus of the team is pretty decent. I think we need 3-4 top players.

* CM to play alongside Lucas
    * Top quality out and out winger
    * goalscorer / fox in the box (can we clone Fowler :D)

Bellamy and Spearing should only be squad players nest season.
    I think Henderson and Downing should be given more time, even though Downing this season has shown nothing to me. It has been said by some people oh he has created x number of chances and if we had striker those would have been converted. I just think Downing should have returned more this season.
    Henderson will come good I think.

Andy Carroll changed the game when he replaced Spearing, I think Carroll will prove a lot of doubters wrong next season.

Here is hoping for next season :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

http://wap.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/05/07/valencia_emery_pellegrino/

Pellegrino takes the valencia job, Emery off to spartak Moscow.

Just to clarify that is Pellegrino the former Liverpool defender that is taking charge of Valencia, and not Pellegrini, the former Madrid and current Malaga manager who was talked about earlier on this thread.

Not too gutted that Pellegrino won't be coming to manage us to be honest!

Morzadec wrote: »
    Just to clarify that is Pellegrino the former Liverpool defender that is taking charge of Valencia, and not Pellegrini, the former Madrid and current Malaga manager who was talked about earlier on this thread.

A few people think that Emery would be a good option for us but I dont know much about him myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

59unbanned1.png
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbi8OWkU7A1-bU6leYDBoOVAykNwi24JcrYdBoIImZp0t_z0b7&t=1

I'm back !

Must say the "bromance" shown to me during my stint in solitary confinement was very heart warming .. love you guys;) :D

So a week in the hole can re-focus the mind and 8 things I have learned that week:

1.)Pepe is miserable and has lost his spark.His current form reminds me of another certain Spaniard who left shortly after showing similar distracted form. Don't be surprised if his name pops up in the media linked with a move.

2.)Spearing is one signing away from becoming a reserve player again. He has the heart but unfortunately not the skill/ability to match it .

3.)Downing is so bad he now seems to have dropped below peoples criticism radar . gutless , anaemic , heartless, toothless player . Sell a.s.a.p

4.)We play like we are shackled when Gerrard starts .
    If Gerrard has a bad game then so does the team because when he plays it seems we have to play everything through him . IMO we play with more fluidity and carefree when he is not playing.
    Either don't start him or tell him to stay away from the DM role and stay up top with Suarez .

5.)Henderson positional play is improving . He is finding himself in better offensive positions but my God he needs to go to finishing school.

6.)Enrique is over compensating for not having quality in front of him .
    He is a very skilful LB but is taking too much out of the ball .
    If he could just have a quality LM in front of him then he would not have to take the ball himself into the final third running into a cul-de-sac .

7.)Even though Bellamy has had a limited season it seems to have taken its toll . He looks jaded which is concerning as I would think next season may be even harder for him.
    He may only have a season left in his legs/knees .

8.)Carroll shut me up something fierce . He was an animal !
    He was everything that was missing up until he came on .
    Hunger , aggression , positive attitude .
    If we had that Andy Carroll for 90mins every week then we would clear up.
    He was the un-markable Andy Carroll that we all hoped for when he signed .10/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

A few people think that Emery would be a good option for us but I dont know much about him myself?

Can't say I'm an expert either, but he's kept a Valencia team who have to sell their star players every year in the Champions League for the last 3 years and has sealed 3rd place again in La Liga which is impressive enough

Morzadec wrote: »

It was Emery that I was referring to (though happy to see another ex-Red
    step into management, it seems to be all the rage)

As no one can lay a glove on the duopoly that runs La Liga, finishing third three seasons on the bounce while operating under massive debt and selling a top player every summer (Villa, Silva, Mata) is the sign of a manager who knows how to get the most out of what he's got and is able to spot a talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

motivation...thy name is the return of Leiva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Alonso and Mourinho keeping an eye on the FA Cup final from the bench. :pac:

Almost time to log off again and get a few things done before heading to the airport for a flight to Manc airport and then a lift back home.

Been a hectic few days thanks to sporting events. Friday fly to London so I get a night's sleep before the final on Saturday.

Saturday night fly back to Ireland so I get a night's sleep before the marathon on Sunday in Limerick.

Sunday run marathon.

Spent Monday looking at how my strapped ankle was now swollen like a watermelon.

Tuesday fly back to the UK so I can get to the last home game of the season and so my nephew can come with me to his first last game of the season.

Wednesday morning fly back to Ireland and come on Boards to whinge about players.:D

And I sure as hell am getting my 3-2 win over Chelsea tonight seeing as that prediction failed me on Saturday. :)

Kess73 wrote: »
    Almost time to log off again and get a few things done before heading to the airport for a flight to Manc airport and then a lift back home.

Been a hectic few days thanks to sporting events. Friday fly to London so I get a night's sleep before the final on Saturday.

Saturday night fly back to Ireland so I get a night's sleep before the marathon on Sunday in Limerick.

Sunday run marathon.

Spent Monday looking at how my strapped ankle was now swollen like a watermelon.

Tuesday fly back to the UK so I can get to the last home game of the season and so my nephew can come with me to his first last game of the season.

Wednesday morning fly back to Ireland and come on Boards to whinge about players.:D

And I sure as hell am getting my 3-2 win over Chelsea tonight seeing as that prediction failed me on Saturday. :)

Bring us back some juicy ITK gossip.

• Advertisement

Bring us back some juicy ITK gossip.

Failing that I will just make something up. :D Maybe I will see Messi buying some chips in the Lobster Pot. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Videos floating around of Torres looking dejected not celebrating in the dressing room with the other Chelsea players. He then went off and spent 20 minutes in the Liverpool dressing room while they were celebrating.

Opr

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

opr wrote: »
    Videos floating around of Torres not celebrating in the dressing room with the other Chelsea players. He then went off and spent 20 minutes in the Liverpool dressing room while they were celebrating.

Opr

Links?

spockety wrote: »
    Links?

Behind the door in this one. Others of them dancing round the dressing room/pitch with him not joining in. TAW podcast mentioned he spent 20 minutes in the Liverpool dressing.

Edit - One of them (TAW) also said himself and Kenny really don't get on.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Maxi was a decent squad player for us. Contributed well enough on the pitch, and didn't rock the boat during long periods off it. I wish him well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Jaysus....what was he saying to the pool players!! doubt they'd want to see him after losing the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

gafferino wrote: »
    Jaysus....what was he saying to the pool players!! doubt they'd want to see him after losing the final.

maybe he still has friends there.

maybe he doesn't hate the club, staff or players.

maybe he was just disillusioned when he left and actually holds no ill-feelings towards the people at all.

i'd like to think he would be able to speak to them, even after a cup final loss.

friendships can transcend football. i know it's a wacky concept :p

I think it was pretty apparent from the comments Reina made before the cup final that he wishes he had never left.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

yes well done.
    Still strange that he would be in there for 20mins when the players are all dejected. Friend or foe i dont think they'd want to see him at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Maxi was a decent squad player for us. Contributed well enough on the pitch, and didn't rock the boat during long periods off it. I wish him well.

Me too. Very astute piece of business.

Can people moaning about M'Villa vs Henderson at least try & realise that attracting a player like that without CL Football is extremely difficult - when there's a CL Club involved in the mix who want him (as there was with M'Villa), it's pretty much impossible.

Hopefully we get our business done early this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Can people moaning about M'Villa vs Henderson at least try & realise that attracting a player like that without CL Football is extremely difficult - when there's a CL Club involved in the mix who want him (as there was with M'Villa), it's pretty much impossible.

plus he's black and French.

is there anyone who down though he wouldn't go to Arsenal once they showed interest?

Gonna be a long summer I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Me too. Very astute piece of business.

Hopefully we get our business done early this summer.

90k a week over 2 and a half years for a player that scored a couple of important goals and a whole lot of meaningless ones and spent more time on the bench than he did on the field.

Astute piece of business my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

90k a week over 2 and a half years for a player that scored a couple of important goals and a whole lot of meaningless ones and spent more time on the bench than he did on the field.

Astute piece of business my hole.

Where are you getting this figure from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

£28 million for Podolski and M'Vila

Or

1 Stuart Downing and 1 Charlie Adam.

Damien , Damien , Damien ...tut tut tut .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement