Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

That reminds me, I've ironing to do when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

tok9 wrote: »
    Where are you getting this figure from?

Read it somewhere before. he was a free transfer so his wages would have been around that. Very little value, defo not 'astute' business anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Rafa and Torres to return in the summer?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

90k a week over 2 and a half years for a player that scored a couple of important goals and a whole lot of meaningless ones and spent more time on the bench than he did on the field.

Astute piece of business my hole.

Why? If you had signed him for £6m and paid him £40k a week you would have said he has represented good value as a squad player which is essentially the same thing as giving him £90k a week?

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Me too. Very astute piece of business.

Can people moaning about M'Villa vs Henderson at least try & realise that attracting a player like that without CL Football is extremely difficult - when there's a CL Club involved in the mix who want him (as there was with M'Villa), it's pretty much impossible.

Hopefully we get our business done early this summer.

I'd hope most people do realise that attracting M'Vila type players is going to be difficult without CL football. Can't argue with that.

What I'd have a serious issue with though is spending M'Vila type money on a player like Henderson. A player I rate a lot higher than many, and think will eventually end up as a good player for us, but right now he is often looking out of his depth and still learning his trade. It's value is the problem for me.

Apart from Downing, who has been pretty awful, I don't have a huge issue with any of our signings as players, just the money we paid for them, and in fairness thats not the fault of the players. Downing though, well he just looks mentally weak and unable to step up his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

opr wrote: »
    Why? If you had signed him for £6m and paid him £40k a week you would have said he has represented good value as a squad player which is essentially the same thing as giving him £90k a week?

Opr

I still wouldnt think that it would represent value when you look at his overall contribution. Hes done little to nothing for large parts of his LFC career. his main contribution has been scoring meaningless goals in dead rubber games and a couple of good performance in bigish games.

for that sort of money I'd expect more. IMO it's a million miles away from astute business anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

for all we know M'Vila could be the next Salif Diao and M'Vila could make Henderson look cheap so judgement will be reserved. We paid an English-premium no doubt for certain players but Henderson and Carroll are two that are still very young and have at least 8 years left in them so the money is paid, they have the talent so lets hope they step upto the plate and deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

slingerz wrote: »
    Rafa and Torres to return in the summer?!

April Fool's day already? :eek:

I still wouldnt think that it would represent value when you look at his overall contribution. Hes done little to nothing for large parts of his LFC career. his main contribution has been scoring meaningless goals in dead rubber games and a couple of good performance in bigish games.

for that sort of money I'd expect more. IMO it's a million miles away from astute business anyway.

For what sort of money? When you factor in that we paid no up front fee for him he's costing as much as you would expect to pay for a squad player over the lifetime of a contract on fee + wages. If we had more squad players of his quality to call upon when needed we wouldn't be in our current position.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Videos floating around of Torres looking dejected not celebrating in the dressing room with the other Chelsea players. He then went off and spent 20 minutes in the Liverpool dressing room while they were celebrating.

Opr

Could believe that he has more mates in the LFC dressing room than the Chelsea one.
    It seems to me than LFC is a more "friendly" club than Chelsea. The Chelsea players are lads Torres works with while he has actual mates at Liverpool

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Dotsey wrote: »
    for all we know M'Vila could be the next Salif Diao and M'Vila could make Henderson look cheap so judgement will be reserved. We paid an English-premium no doubt for certain players but Henderson and Carroll are two that are still very young and have at least 8 years left in them so the money is paid, they have the talent so lets hope they step upto the plate and deliver.

If I was drinking my tea now and not 10 mins earlier, it would have been spat all over my laptop as I read that :o He's worth every penny. If the rumoured fee is 22M, after the Euros it could easily closer to 30M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

So how much for Torres? In real money, not Liverpool $$$.

£16m? Can't see Chelsea selling him any time soon or back to us.

Read it somewhere before.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

So how much for Torres? In real money, not Liverpool $$$.

£16m? Can't see Chelsea selling him any time soon or back to us.

I'd imagine Torres would have to take a massive wage cut, perhaps 50%, if he wanted to come back to Liverpool, before we even start talking about a transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Leiva wrote: »
    £28 million for Podolski and M'Vila

Or

1 Stuart Downing and 1 Charlie Adam.

Damien , Damien , Damien ...tut tut tut .

Surely Dalglish shoulders some of the blame too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Morzadec wrote: »
    I'd imagine Torres would have to take a massive wage cut, perhaps 50%, if he wanted to come back to Liverpool, before we even start talking about a transfer fee.

He may regret leaving but that doesn't mean he wants to return. Can't see him being over enthused about returning to a mid table club on half the wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

can we all come back from lala land, where torres stays at chelsea and everything in the world makes sense!

he wont come back. alonso wont be coming either....we need to look to the future im afraid lads. M'Villa is definitely one of those players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

He may regret leaving but that doesn't mean he wants to return. Can't see him being over enthused about returning to a mid table club on half the wages.

He's considerably more likely to go back to Atletico anyway. Chelsea wouldn't sell him back to us for cheap either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

J. Marston wrote: »
    Surely Dalglish shoulders some of the blame too?

Yep .

But DC was employed before KD as not only director of football but also looked upon as a person who the owners could trust whilst learning the ropes in a new business environment.

He failed spectacularly .

Im sure Kenny was involved in picking some of the dross, but it was DC who negotiated the ridiculous fee .

Again failing spectacularly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hazard has said he 'will be playing in blue next season'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

retalivity wrote: »

He is trolling everyone ...........

Liverpool5.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Our away kit had a bit of blue in it right..... right?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Those Evertonian fcukers. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Everton the sly buggers!

Will he get in ahead of Leon Osman though? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Fair play to Reading, that's a good signing for them. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Oh my God, stop talking about Torres coming back to Liverpool. I'm embarrassed.

I wished he'd just shut up. If not us obviously (lol to that happening), I just hope Man City wrap up the deal as soon as possible. Himself and his agent are beyond tedious at this stage. Better they strengthen with the signing of him than the likes of the clubs in between City and us in the table.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Oh my God, stop talking about Torres coming back to Liverpool. I'm embarrassed.

We have. For nearly an hour. We're lamenting Hazard now.

-Ade- wrote: »
    I wished he'd just shut up. If not us obviously (lol to that happening), I just hope Man City wrap up the deal as soon as possible. Himself and his agent are beyond tedious at this stage. Better they strengthen with the signing of him than the likes of the clubs in between City and us in the table.

Did you see the video he did for nike?

Incredibly disrespectful to his current club even if they were well aware he'd be leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Maybe they will offload Torres to Everton? :pac:

Standard might not be great but it's suppose to be an incredibly physical league which will have helped his development. His decision making still looks like it really needs to improve, stop shoot from ridiculous angles but still only 18 and seems to have done well overall on his loan spell.

Opr

• Advertisement

Dear oh dear.

AsYVfxmCEAEfFzC.jpg

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Did you see the video he did for nike?

Incredibly disrespectful to his current club even if they were well aware he'd be leaving.

Yeah I've seen it alright. He absolutely loves the spotlight on him. No doubting his talent whatsoever btw, I'm just bored of hearing about him. Kind of reminds me the Essien to Chelsea saga to a large extent which was very much drawn out and by the end you just wanted the git to move to whoever :pac: Fair few similarities in how they conducted themselves in the (French) media before they eventually moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

But Birmingham are only in the semi final play-offs!That's a hell of a risk!

Backed dirk to get 2 or more 18/1 last home game, he deserves it

I see Jen Chang is saying Fulham are trying to sign Assaidi from Heerenveen. Would be an interesting to see how he'd get on in the EPL, could have been a decent option for us down our LW. Also looking to sign his teammate Narsingh. Former most certainly would be a decent signing for us.

Their striker Dost is another we maybe should have a look at. Been in brilliant form this season, though he's quite possibly on his way to Germany with a host of clubs reporting wanting him including Dortmund to replace Barrios.

-Ade- wrote: »
    Yeah I've seen it alright. He absolutely loves the spotlight on him. No doubting his talent whatsoever btw, I'm just bored of hearing about him. Kind of reminds me the Essien to Chelsea saga to a large extent which was very much drawn out and by the end you just wanted the git to move to whoever :pac: Fair few similarities in how they conducted themselves in the (French) media before they eventually moved on.

This is the part where we square it with ourselves that he is an idiot and that we never wanted him in the first place :p

Ah he does seem to enjoy the spotlight around him, does say alot about a lads character, he is going to need to set the place on fire with an attitude like his. He more than likely will though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i know we need first teamers and its not a priority, but i wouldnt mind seeing us pick up morten gamst pedersen on the cheap from blackburn now they've been relegated. Could be a useful replacement for maxi/kuyt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

i know we need first teamers and its not a priority, but i wouldnt mind seeing us pick up morten gamst pedersen on the cheap from blackburn now they've been relegated. Could be a useful replacement for maxi/kuyt

he has been shocking for a couple of seasons now....his display last night was nothing short of disgraceful ....A BIG NO on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

so is it confirmed hoillet is in the bargain bin this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Hoilett's contract is up. If he moves in the UK, then it will be a tribunal set fee, if he moves abroad then it will be free afaik.

Would be a good option depending on the fee. If nothing else as good quality backup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Dr Galen wrote: »
    Hoilett's contract is up. If he moves in the UK, then it will be a tribunal set fee, if he moves abroad then it will be free afaik.

Would be a good option depending on the fee. If nothing else as good quality backup.

Why would there be a fee if he is out of contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

rarnes1 wrote: »

Sure, tease us with this now....4 days too late.
    Even a 0.1% fit Lucas wouldve been better than Spearing last Saturday.

spockety wrote: »
    Why would there be a fee if he is out of contract?

Clubs get development fees for players they lose on a free contract if they have been part of the clubs youth system for a certain length of time.

Opr

Sure, tease us with this now....4 days too late.
    Even a 0.1% fit Lucas wouldve been better than Spearing last Saturday.

He was poor alright, far from the only one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Dr Galen wrote: »

We're quietly building a nice and tidy team of good quality backups. Might be challenging for the Quality Backups top 4 next season at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

No gerrard tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Laika1986 wrote: »
    No gerrard tonight
    Our chances of winning have increased then going by previous form

Would love to see us pick up Hoilett during the summer

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Clubs get development fees for players they lose on a free contract if they have been part of the clubs youth system for a certain length of time.

Opr

That's crazy. Surely it's only the case if he is still under contract for another few months?

It's not possible at the end of a contract to walk away and get a job somewhere else afterwards without your new employer having to pay your old employer?! Sounds like grounds for a court case!

If we are interested in Hoilett we need to seriously determine what his character is like.
    The tribunal fee won't be big but being a bosman you can bet the wages will have to be.

Last thing we need is another talented youngster resting on his laurels once he becomes a high earner.

Will he be interested in improving as a player or will he be more interested in revelling in his high earning status, thats the question. If its the latter, no thanks.

spockety wrote: »
    That's crazy. Surely it's only the case if he is still under contract for another few months?

It's not possible at the end of a contract to walk away and get a job somewhere else afterwards without your new employer having to pay your old employer?! Sounds like grounds for a court case!

I don't really know the ins and outs of it but the clubs in England have all agreed to it under FA law.

Sturridge is the most high profile one that I can remember.

From Wiki
    With Sturridge's contract at Manchester City expired, he signed for Chelsea on a four-year contract on 3 July 2009.[16] As Sturridge is under the age of 24,[17] and the two sides were unable to agree a deal, the fee for Sturridge was decided by a tribunal. The Professional Football Compensation Committee decided on 14 January 2010, that Chelsea would pay an initial fee of £3.5 million with additional payments of £500,000 after each of 10, 20, 30 and 40 first-team competitive appearances. There will also be a further payment of £1 million if the player makes a full international appearance, and Manchester City will receive 15 percent of any sell-on fee if Sturridge is transferred.[18]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/6990213/Daniel-Sturridge-could-cost-Chelsea-as-much-as-6.5m.html

Opr

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement