Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Besides Gerrard any team news?

I expect a strong squad with some youths. (cough sterling cough)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Reina, Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Henderson, Maxi, Downing, Shelvey, Suarez, Carroll. Subs: Doni, Coates, Kelly, Spearing, Sterling, Bellamy, Kuyt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Laughable as this sounds, Liverpool's supposed "flops" Carroll and Suarez have almost been their best players this season.

Carroll has got very little game time yet has scored some crucial goals and also a couple of important assists.

Just indicates how poor the rest of Liverpool side have been this season.

Surely they can't be this poor next season, can they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

No-one has called Suarez a flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suarez a flop? 17 goals so far in a misfiring side.

mike65 wrote: »
    Suarez a flop? 17 goals so far in a misfiring side.

I agree he hasn't been a flop, hence putting flop in quotes.

He's done alright in my book, but mid season he was getting a lot of stick from pool fans and others saying he couldn't score and so on.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

G.K. wrote: »

Quite a few have actually in other threads, but given their alligences and posting history it's hardly surprising.

G.K. wrote: »

Ah now a lot of people were saying a few months ago he couldn't score, even Kenny Dalgish was forced to defend him saying he "wasn't a striker".

He's done well, probably pool's best player, not hard to be that though this season.

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I agree he hasn't been a flop, hence putting flop in quotes.

He's done alright in my book, but mid season he was getting a lot of stick from pool fans and others saying he couldn't score and so on.

Only from folk that haven't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Laughable as this sounds, Liverpool's supposed "flops" Carroll and Suarez have almost been their best players this season.
    The fuck!?!?
    Carroll has got very little game time yet has scored some crucial goals and also a couple of important assists.

Just indicates how poor the rest of Liverpool side have been this season.
    Carroll has done very well over the past few weeks, but still absolutely nowhere near one of the best players of the season. Taking the season as a whole, he'd be coming in behind almost everyone involved in the defense, as well as the likes of Suarez and Bellamy.

He has thankfully shown that he might have something to offer next season though. Pool still definitely need a top quality addition up front though. Even if Carroll stayed firing, we simply have no depth up there.

So, just as an aside, how are Man City doing?

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The fuck!?!?

I put it in quotes, do you not understand when someone puts something in quotes? I'm just quoting what others have been saying, not nessecarily what I have been saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I put it in quotes, do you not understand when someone puts something in quotes? I'm just quoting what others have been saying, not nessecarily what I have been saying.

I think the point is, who in gods name labelled Suarez a flop?

Just look back over the thread titled "Are Liverpool and Dalglish done".

From the start it's been pool fans ranting about Dalglish and how he signed 100 million pounds worth of players and the team isnt much better and all his big signings were poor and this and that.

It's mostly based on that thread that I am quoting people who said Suarez is a flop.

He's come good lately, but to be fair taken overall he's had a mixed season and when he was really needed he didn't produce. Season practically over now and nothing to play for and he's coming good!

My comment was to show my extreme surprise at your insinuation that it is surprising that Suarez could be called one of the best players at LFC this season.

You began with "Laughable as this sounds" which implies that what you will follow it up with, is going to be ludicrous in some fashion. While it is in the case of Carroll (since he has absolutely not been near the best performers this season), it is definitely not in any way strange to suggest that Suarez has been amongst our best players.

Incidentally, you keep mentioning that others have said he's a flop, but the only backup you offer is that people criticized his scoring record.

Criticism does not equal someone being a flop. Yes, he should have scored more from his opportunities (most which he created himself), but what he's actually contributed has more than made him one of our key performers.

I would actually be astonished if you could find quotes from LFC fans calling Suarez a flop or failure, rather than just saying he should have scored more.

<edit>
    I see again you mention that you're "quoting" people, yet I see no quotes calling him a flop or failure (or anything else for that matter)

He's come good lately, but to be fair taken overall he's had a mixed season and when he was really needed he didn't produce. Season practically over now and nothing to play for and he's coming good!
    Nope, consistently been one of the best players in the team throughout the season.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    My comment was to show my extreme surprise at your insinuation that it is surprising that Suarez could be called one of the best players at LFC this season.

You began with "Laughable as this sounds" which implies that what you will follow it up with, is going to be ludicrous in some fashion. While it is in the case of Carroll (since he has absolutely not been near the best performers this season), it is definitely not in any way strange to suggest that Suarez has been amongst our best players.

Incidentally, you keep mentioning that others have said he's a flop, but the only backup you offer is that people criticized his scoring record.

Criticism does not equal someone being a flop. Yes, he should have scored more from his opportunities (most which he created himself), but what he's actually contributed has more than made him one of our key performers.

I would actually be astonished if you could find quotes from LFC fans calling Suarez a flop or failure, rather than just saying he should have scored more.

<edit>
    I see again you mention that you're "quoting" people, yet I see no quotes calling him a flop or failure (or anything else for that matter)

Nope, consistently been one of the best players in the team throughout the season.

Here's one for starters, there are many more dotted all over the web and not just on this forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77730287&postcount=388

Let's be fair, he's a striker, bought as a striker, and Dalglish saying he wasn't a striker was bizarre and laughable.

When he wasn't scoring, he's not a striker. When he scores a few admittedly good goals at the tail end of the season, he's called a great striker.

Anyways, was the 17 goals in the league or in all competitions?

For 25 million quid, you'd expect at least 20 goals minimum.

Here's one for starters, there are many more dotted all over the web and not just on this forum.

Let's be fair, he's a striker, bought as a striker, and Dalglish saying he wasn't a striker was bizarre and laughable.

When he wasn't scoring, he's not a striker. When he scores a few admittedly good goals at the tail end of the season, he's called a great striker.

That post was in March.

Good effort though. Off the bar I'd call it ;)

Jeez, looks like the other Squarez guy won't be moving to Liverpool anytime soon.

http://www.koptalk.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=209613

Funny, Jovonovic lost many tears while living in Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Jeez, looks like the other Squarez guy won't be moving to Liverpool anytime soon.

http://www.koptalk.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=209613

Funny, Jovonovic lost many tears while living in Liverpool.

Lol, did you just link a story from Kraptalk?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That post was in March.

Good effort though. Off the bar I'd call it ;)

Look from what I can see its a waste of time even trying to have an intelligent conversation with you.

When someone puts something in quotes its just quoting the opinion of others, not my own view. I think Squarez did alright.

I'm bailing from this thread now, can't be arsed trying explain what it means when someone quotes another opinion. I've wasted enough time as it is on it.

• Advertisement

Person you quoted isn't an LFC fan...(0 posts in this thread for instance).
    Appears to be a ManU fan...

Not sure where you're coming from with the striker/not a striker thing? He's consistently been one of the best performers at the club this season regardless whether he's played up top, wide or as support striker.

His best position is as a support striker, where he can start deep enough to receive the ball facing the opposition half.

In the league his record is around 1 in 2.5 games.
    In all comps it's 1 in 2.

Given the state of the team this year and the lack of a midfield, I'm satisfied with that as a first season.

When someone puts something in quotes its just quoting the opinion of others, not my own view. I think Squarez did alright.

can't be arsed trying explain what it means when someone quotes another opinion.
    As I pointed out, you stated that "laughable as it sounds" Suarez might end up being considered one of the better players this season. Thats with the apparently quoted material removed. The above was your statement, which is obviously ridiculous, as it's not in any way laughable to say Suarez was one of the best LFC performers this season.
    I'm bailing from this thread now. I've wasted enough time as it is on it.
    Right on bruh'

Look from what I can see its a waste of time even trying to have an intelligent conversation with you.

I'm bailing from this thread now, can't be arsed trying explain what it means when someone quotes another opinion. I've wasted enough time as it is on it.

Cool, enjoy the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Found to source of Andy's new bit of form. Hair in a bun not a ponytail. Kenny should of coped that earlier. Another nail in his coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Maybe I'm reading a bit too much in it, but Kenny looks very sad for a man whose team is dominating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Maxi just waved at the fans when he was subbed.
    Confirms he's leaving I suppose. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Honestly if I was a Chelsea fan I would be concerned .

Looking at the side that won the FA Cup some 6-8 of them in 18months will be gone with not much in reserve tbh.

I would be even more concerned with giving RDM the job CL or not cause I can't see him bringing on a younger revamped Chelsea in the short to medium term which is seriously needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

20155284.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Our season starts now! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Judging by the amount of kids running about the place, there has been far too much scoring in the bedroom and not enough on the pitch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Judging by the amount of kids running about the place, there has been far too much scoring in the bedroom and not enough on the pitch!!

Downing is having a hard time getting his missus up the duff by all accounts

Keeps on hitting the (bed)post I heard.

Oh dear, i'll get my coat :pac:

-Ade- wrote: »

I'd be shocked if we don't win the league next season tbh.

Our year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

-Ade- wrote: »

I really hope this break doesn't interfere with our form in the same way the International breaks do. :pac:

If Willy pops in later will someone ask him what he thinks about Ivanovic acting the pr*ck?......absolute disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then Kess will have enjoyed that journey anyway!

I was listening only to the game until the last 10 mins so I don;t really know how the middle was today but does anyone think lack of Gerrard was a positive?

I was listening only to the game until the last 10 mins so I don;t really know how the middle was today but does anyone think lack of Gerrard was a positive?

I thought so, especially in Henderson. Shelvey looked a little out of his depth even against a poor Chelsea midfield, and has a bit of a nasty streak too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So then, should Carroll be sold?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

The willingness or need to pass to him at any available opportunity obviously wasn't there.

Thought Shelvey and Henderson in particular grafted tonight, but it would anger you sometimes when you see effort and heart like that in a game that doesn't matter a jot.

Makes you wonder where the effort was in other more important games.

Henderson looks confused 24/7/365

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Yes the lack of Gerrard was a positive, Henderson had a great game and dominated an admittedly poor Chelsea midfield (if you can class a midfield with Essien in it as poor)

Carroll again was immense, the last 2 months have given a glimpse of what he can do. Hope he brings that into next season. Still need wingers and another quality midfielder though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

(if you can class a midfield with Essien in it as poor)

:eek:

That's the definition of a poor Chelsea midfield this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Good to see Andy ready and waiting to follow in on the penalty and pounce if needed unlike Stewart who was too busy facepalming like a grade A plonker.

K-9 wrote: »
    So then, should Carroll be sold?

I was one of his biggest critics, and thought after he bottled it against Newcastle that he should never be allowed wear the shirt again. But after the effort he has shown in the last few weeks I can't fault him and think he should be kept but we still need somebody who is going to put away the simple chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Yes the lack of Gerrard was a positive, Henderson had a great game and dominated an admittedly poor Chelsea midfield (if you can class a midfield with Essien in it as poor)

Carroll again was immense, the last 2 months have given a glimpse of what he can do. Hope he brings that into next season. Still need wingers and another quality midfielder though

It was more to do with the lack of Chelsea not bothering there arse that's why there was a massive gamble on Liverpool since last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Whatever about tonight being a nothing game surely the last 2 games have proven that Carroll is a good player, has a future at Anfield and should not be sold.

It's amazing how Carroll has grown in confidence the last few months.

Great to see.

Good to see Andy ready and waiting to follow in on the penalty and pounce if needed unlike Stewart who was too busy facepalming like a grade A plonker.

That's low dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Only finished work at 9 was keeping track of the game via sky sports app, was thinking oh ffs typical. When i come back in chelsea grab a goal, i think ah here not this **** again and then shelvey pops up with a lovely finish, happy for him :)
    Best of luck to maxi, im hoping we can persuade another season out of kuyt, always great off the bench. Ok his full games are inconsistent but still...

Im going to go with newcastle to atleast draw, more so win as their champions league qualification depends on it so we could potentially leapfrog everton IF we beat swansea which would be nice enough. Anyways hopefully we have a good transfer market, caroll and suarez improve and ireland do well in the euros. Be grand :cool::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Especially since downing couldn't touch the rebound before another player did first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's amazing how Carroll has grown in confidence the last few months.

Great to see.

Despite how he has been handled by the manager.
    Seems to be popular with many of the other players, good to see Agger celebrate with him when he provided the assist.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    That's low dude.

How? Watch it back. Not blaming Downing for hitting the post but watch it back and you'll see he was too busy walking away to get the rebound while Andy had his foot in the traps before the kick.

Despite how he has been handled by the manager.
    Seems to be popular with many of the other players, good to see Agger celebrate with him when he provided the assist.

How? Watch it back. Not blaming Downing for hitting the post but watch it back and you'll see he was too busy walking away to get the rebound while Andy had his foot in the traps before the kick.

Was he able to hit the rebound before anyone else did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Going back to Tyneside the other week changed him, he never wanted to leave, he got 'closure' and has showed some maturity in his reaction. He can move on with his career now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

daithijjj wrote: »
    Going back to Tyneside the other week changed him, he never wanted to leave, he got 'closure' and has showed some maturity in his reaction. He can move on with his career now.

mmm....Daithijjj....do you really think footballers think that deeply?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement