Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

skywalker wrote: »
    I know there could have been a few red cards given out last night, but this was absolutely shocking from Essien. Very lucky not to have been a leg breaking challenge.

Essien-Tackle.gif

Just to play devil's advocate, it seems to me Essien's eyes are on the ball the then Andy's telescopic leg lunges in as he goes for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just to play devil's advocate, it seems to me Essien's eyes are on the ball the then Andy's telescopic leg lunges in as he goes for it.
    He sticks in his second leg.....high I might add

I'm a fan of Essien as a player but what he's done there is wrong, I don't think there's any denying it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

After what Essien done to Didi Hamann a few years ago he'll never get the benefit of the doubt for his tackles, the one on Hamann was shocking.

Anyway speaking of shocking tackles, Neil Mellor had to retire today aged 29 as a result of a knee injury sustained in one. Mellor will be forever remember for his crucial goal against Olympiakos in 2004 and his 92nd minute winner against Arsenal's "invincibles" at Anfield to end their unbeaten run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

PaulieC wrote: »
    He sticks in his second leg.....high I might add

I'm a fan of Essien as a player but what he's done there is wrong, I don't think there's any denying it tbh

That's true actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

He didnt seem to go in hard either, if he did it would have been a leg break no doubt.....poor tackle but i think it may look worse than he intended.....lucky to get away with a yellow though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Unlikely, but possible. However the two feet off the ground does it for me. As Pat Shortt would say "jees, you cant be doing that lads, you cant be doing that"
    Would also have to say, Shelvey was lucky with his 2 footed lunge. Would give him the benefit of the doubt re Malouda, slow motion IMO, made it look worse than it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I know there could have been a few red cards given out last night, but this was absolutely shocking from Essien. Very lucky not to have been a leg breaking challenge.

Essien-Tackle.gif

Joke that it was not a red, seeing as the very same ref gave Spearing a red early in the season for having two feet off the ground, and also that Kompany was sent off for two feet off the ground as well.

If the Spearing and Kompany attempts were red card worthy, then so should the Essien one. And if the same ref thought two feet off the ground was worth a red card in one game, then I fail to see how he can now think that it is only worth a yellow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ok after a positive performance last night, i was thinking. What do we all want to happen at the club before our first league game in August?

Melion wrote: »
    Ok after a positive performance last night, i was thinking. What do we all want to happen at the club before our first league game in August?

Same as before last night's game. We need genuine quality in CM/AM. We need at least one quality wide player, and we need a striker who can score goals on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Chelsea seem to get away with some dirty challenges at Anfield i remember a couple of seasons ago one Liverpool player was kicked in the back right in front of the linesman yet the Chelsea player got the freekick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Priority 1: a spade in the ground for the new stadium.

After that, sign a proper winger (Adam Johnson maybe) to replace Kuyt if he's sold, buy central midfielder, see Sterling replace Maxi in the squad, sell Cole and Aquilani ASAP, sort out the vacancies in the backroom staff and last but not least, either hire a DoF to work with Kenny or hire a new manager, possibly both.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Priority 1: a spade in the ground for the new stadium.

After that, sign a proper winger (Adam Johnson maybe) to replace Kuyt if he's sold, buy central midfielder, see Sterling replace Maxi in the squad, sell Cole and Aquilani ASAP, sort out the vacancies in the backroom staff and last but not least, either hire a DoF to work with Kenny or hire a new manager, possibly both.

Id like to see Sterling get a lot more game time than Maxi has this season

Id like to see Sterling get a lot more game time than Maxi has this season

Maxi has 27 appearances in all competitions this season acc. to Wikipedia. I'd say Sterling would be lucky to get that next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Manuel Pellegrini
    Junior Hoillet
    Nuri Sahin
    Iker Muniain

/Dreamworld

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Maxi has 27 appearances in all competitions this season acc. to Wikipedia. I'd say Sterling would be lucky to get that next year.

Really? Didnt think he had that many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Kess73 wrote: »
    Same as before last night's game. We need genuine quality in CM/AM. We need at least one quality wide player, and we need a striker who can score goals on a regular basis.

I have said it before and agree with those you suggested Kess.
    BTW way whilst watching the game last night it was beyond me why Kenny took so long to make some changes. I mean he could have given Sterling at least 20 mins. Were there any grumbling's from the fans regarding this last night

Really? Didnt think he had that many

Could be wrong. Wikipedia and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Chelsea seem to get away with some dirty challenges at Anfield i remember a couple of seasons ago one Liverpool player was kicked in the back right in front of the linesman yet the Chelsea player got the freekick

That was Bosingwa on Benayoun, we got the free but no card was a wtf moment.

Essien is just a 'yellow' footballer, a coward, been doing the same thing for years.

Milan have signed Bakaye Traore on a free, a def mid, so not a chance they will pay a penny for Aquilani.

BTW way whilst watching the game last night it was beyond me why Kenny took so long to make some changes. I mean he could have given Sterling at least 20 mins. Were there any grumbling's from the fans regarding this last night

Actually the atmosphere in the ground was really good last night, one of the best crowds that I have been in this season at home.

I think most went to the game last night with low expectations, and an attitude of sending the team off with songs in their ears. The good performance on the pitch then just added to what was an already good atmosphere.

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    That was Bosingwa on Benayoun, we got the free but no card was a wtf moment.

Essien is just a 'yellow' footballer, a coward, been doing the same thing for years.

We didnt get the free! It was given as a Chelsea goalkick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Very sad about mellor

Much as admire Sterling I really dont think hes ready for a full blooding in the prem yet. It would be perfect for him to start in the early euros and in the carling cup and subs appearances and see how he gets on

He looked tiny last night

Very sad about mellor

Much as admire Sterling I really dont think hes ready for a full blooding in the prem yet. It would be perfect for him to start in the early euros and in the carling cup and subs appearances and see how he gets on

He looked tiny last night

I dont think he is going to get much taller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

more pies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

gafferino wrote: »

Doni's lad looks just like Doni, sign him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

redzerdrog wrote: »
    is there a way to tell which poster added the tags?
    Kess73 wrote: »
    That particular dig, which is an insult used by many rival fans in the UK regarding Hillsborough, seems to be tolerated by the mods of this forum as many posters have used that insult in match threads this season and a few posters made sure they got it in a number of times in April close to the memorial.

Prime suspect ??

@19:21pm today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Nope not me, wouldn't bother adding a tag. Just felt that was appropriate for the reaction to suarez trying to injure brana. Was actually in my head after reading this thread.

Adding a tag would just be mindless trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Masked Man wrote: »
    Nope not me, wouldn't bother adding a tag. Just felt that was appropriate for the reaction to suarez trying to injure brana. Was actually in my head after reading this thread.

Adding a tag would just be mindless trolling.

Whatever.

Staying outta this one lads ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Was shouting at the tv last night, he barely broke sweat last night, i want to see if he's good enough to be a backup next season, which i do think he is.

But what Kenny was playing at is beyond me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We didnt get the free! It was given as a Chelsea goalkick

Nope it was given as a freekick to Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

EPL Index have some stats on us this season and compare them to last year.
    LFC-Comparison.png

Liverpool have struggled in the league season, especially at home with their main problem being converting chances as you can see from the table.

They have only converted 9% of their chances this season, which is 5% worse than last season and converted 15% less of the clear-cut chances that have been created this season. These statistics show just why Liverpool have only scored 43 goals this season compared to the 59 goals that they scored last season. The fact that Liverpool have had 44 more shots this season and 9 less shots on target go to show why they have struggled.

On the other hand, Liverpool have conceded 0.10 less goals per game this season, completed 3.53% of their passes and been 1% more accurate with their crosses.

Therefore, the only thing that Liverpool need to do to get back among the top 4 is take their chances as this is the only thing holding them back. So, if Carroll gets back to his goalscoring form at Newcastle and Suarez continues to score goals then Liverpool may have a much better year next season.

http://www.eplindex.com/14318/how-does-your-team-compare-last-season-opta-stats.html/2

Watched that Carroll compilation from last night, didn't realise he had been given man of the match.

I thought he was class, obviously some things didn't come off but it was great to see him taking a touch past a player and getting a shot off at times. I thought he made some fantastic passes to find a team mate with head and feet, even when the ball was at waist height, seemed to knock the ball on to another attacking player.

It was also great that despite getting fouled a lot, he got up and got on with rather than just being pissed off as we saw earlier in the season. It can't be fun to be constantly fouled during most games but it is a sign that you are causing the opposite trouble.

I for one welcome our Andy Carroll overlord, pity the season is ending really, hopefully he continues this form next season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Just watching the Europa League final here and I was thinking its a pity that UEFA dont award the winners of it automatic entrance to the qualifying stages of the following seasons Champion League.

It would give an extra incentive for teams participating in it,give added prestige to the competition and take away the disappointment top teams would have when they qualify for it and not the CL.

It would certainly make us playing in it next year alot easier to take!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Chris Williams ‏ @Kopite_Chris78
    Just been told Dalglish will be gone in 2 weeks - he knew before saturday - wanted to sack him with Commolli only Wembley got in the way

Just posting this tweet from earlier, don't shoot the messenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

gernon wrote: »
    Just been told Dalglish will be gone in 2 weeks - he knew before saturday - wanted to sack him with Commolli only Wembley got in the way

Who is the OP? A journalist or blogger of some sort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Who is the OP? A journalist or blogger of some sort?

yea seems to be a bit of a blogger and claims this info came from the same source who was accurate about Torres transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Any word on his replacement and his role or is this just pure speculation

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Did we sell Tom Ince or is he on loan at Blackpool? Have a feeling it's the former :/
    Getting some praise on Twitter atm for his performance vs Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

-Ade- wrote: »
    Did we sell Tom Ince or is he on loan at Blackpool? Have a feeling it's the former :/
    Getting some praise on Twitter atm for his performance vs Birmingham.

Let go as he was out of contract. I still think we may have done some kind of deal with Blackpool given he ended up with them and we seem to have a pretty strong links with them.

Also got lots of praise for his performance in the home leg. Had a good bit of quality about him in the reserves but was one of the most selfish players I have ever watched. Seems to have developed that side of the game and will be interesting to see how he gets on if they come back up to the premiership.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

yea seems to be a bit of a blogger and claims this info came from the same source who was accurate about Torres transfer

What, you mean Guillem Ballbag? :p

That was probably the only thing he's gotten right in years!

• Advertisement

Andy Carroll blows!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Andy Carroll blows!

Ce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Andy Carroll blows!

Again the private lives of LFC supporters is really none of our concern or even interest to be honest! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Rumours all over the place that Kenny is to move upstairs in the summer. The return of Sami is picking up steam too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Did Sami not just get confirmed as Leverkusen boss again for next season? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Vanolder wrote: »
    Rumours all over the place that Kenny is to move upstairs in the summer. The return of Sami is picking up steam too.
    Any links or sources for these rumours or is it the usual twitter tripe

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Nothing has been confirmed at Leverkusen but Rudi Voller (Sporting Director) has hinted that Hypia along with Lewandowski could be appointed on a permanent basis.
    "When you pick up points like that, then it is a positive argument. And when you also see how the pair was accepted by the team, then you can imagine continuing with both of them. It would be negligent of us not to consider other options. We will now analyse things in depth,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Did Sami not just get confirmed as Leverkusen boss again for next season? :confused:

Nope, http://blogs.bettor.com/Voller-hints-at-Hyypia-Lewandowski-appointment-a151744

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Roberto Martinez would be a revelation

LimGal wrote: »
    Just watching the Europa League final here and I was thinking its a pity that UEFA dont award the winners of it automatic entrance to the qualifying stages of the following seasons Champion League.

It would give an extra incentive for teams participating in it,give added prestige to the competition and take away the disappointment top teams would have when they qualify for it and not the CL.

It would certainly make us playing in it next year alot easier to take!

Been saying that for a long time. The truth is the bigwigs only have one interest, themselves. Even FFPR coming in are veiled to disguise their fears about gazillionaire investors like at City and Malaga. But its cleverly done, it looks like an effort to de-incentivise clubs from risking their very survival, when in actual fact it is a pure exercise in safeguarding big names for brand 'UEFA'.

Look at the televised money. The gulf between Europa and CL is brutal. The winners of the EL should not get a penny from the EL pot, they should get entry into the CL from the bloated CL pot (we dont need to add 'whichever is greater' here). Anything they might get from a EL run should be spread evenly to the other clubs in the EL dependent on how far they get.

The whole idea of spreading the wealth doesnt even come into Uefa's thinking really imho. Until there is an even spread of wealth in EURO competition UEFA will carry on dangling carrots at clubs, over cliff tops. The current Uefa cup comp is a mockery, a mockery in respect of saying to clubs that less is more.

At the moment, a team that went out of the CL 6 months ago gets 250% more than the team that just won the Europa league.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement