Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Dotsey wrote: »
    Both Rodallega and Diamé are leaving Wigan on frees this summer, both play in positions we need to strengthen and are internationals for Colombia and Senegal. I personally thought they were probably Wigan's two best players before this season.

Rodallega had two impressive seasons at Wigan but hasn't had a run in the side this season and had two seperate injuries ruling him out for for a month each, he's nearly 27.

Diamé is nearly 25, but hasn't really started for Wigan since returning from the ANC at the start of February. Since then he is generally brought on to shore things up near the end of games.

Are they good enough?

I'd definitely take Diame on a free.

He's a big physical presence, decent enough on the ball and would offer what we've badly missed this season, a backup for Lucas.

To my mind, this would be an example of a clever low cost signing that would improve our squad leaving more money for purchasing genuine top class players.

It would also allow us to sell one of our many midfielders that don't quite measure up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I would have no problem with replacing Spearing with Diame to be honest. It would be a big upgrade imo.

As long as we also sign that quality CM we desperately need (to replace Adam)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Slimity wrote: »
    I'd definitely take Diame on a free.

He's a big physical presence, decent enough on the ball and would offer what we've badly missed this season, a backup for Lucas.

To my mind, this would be an example of a clever low cost signing that would improve our squad leaving more money for purchasing genuine top class players.

It would also allow us to sell one of our many midfielders that don't quite measure up.
    That's what I was thinking myself about Diamé.

We could get him on a relative low wage due to the carrot of him getting an opportunity to play for a big club, plus we could limit the contract to say one or two years with the club having the option to extend if things went well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

@SkySportsMobile: Jermain Defoe admits that he asked to leave Tottenham in January and that a loan to Liverpool was a real possibility #LFC #THFC

The guy is desperate to join us .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Leiva wrote: »

I'm sure we can get him for 20 million if not more! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

He was complaining at Liverpool because he could see us going backwards and having to sell our important players to be able to free up funds to try compete.

Yes, like I said he was entitled to complain and him complaining doesn't reflect badly on his managerial abilities.
    At Inter he didn't buy one player, the only players that arrived were loan returns of Biabiany and Coutinho. As we know the Inter squad is very old and during his six months there was 44 injuries to first team players due in part to their exploits the pervious season and the World Cup. At Inter he missed out on one Alexis Sanchez for around £10m because Moratti didn't rate him. Similarly at Liverpool we missed out on Ramsey, Pato and Dani Alves for similar reasons due to people not rating them or not willing to spend the extra £4m in Alves's case which would've been the difference between him and Pennant

We didn't sign Alves/Barry/Aguero and god knows how many other players because Rafa wasn't given the funds. That's my point - would he have the funds now if he came back? Would we be as attractive to these players as an 8th place Europa League team if we only offered average wages, even if Benitez was back at the helm? Would Benitez be able to get the team back in CL contention next season if he came in tomorrow and the club didn't have the funds or the status to bring these players in? My gut feeling is no.

As I say though, if FSG are going to put £50m+ into the first team this summer and offered competitive wages (say, what we're paying Maxi, Kuyt, Aquilani and Cole who'll hopefully be leaving), I'd be delighted if it was Benitez doing the buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

People only criticised that Brazilian because when he played his name wasn't Mascherano or Alonso, no one bothered to look at how he played. The truth is he's probably better than Mascherano now, he's more tactical and disciplined whereas Masch was always rash and flying into tackles, Masch would cover the ground quicker than him though.

Ah now just because Lucas has progressed into a quality player you cant forget how poor he was for the first two seasons.

He was just unlucky in the way he was pretty much thrown in at the deep end. Dont forget at one stage he was a liability. He gave away constant fouls in dangerous areas and he was afraid to turn with the ball and play it forward.

As I said he has become a great player for us but I just hate it when people come out with "I always knew Lucas was quality". He had a very tough few years. People didnt like Lucas at the time for the above reasons not because his name wasnt Alonso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

surely this implies having the "96" somewhere on the club shirt for eternity? i.e. every season it must be there, otherwise that argument is moot.

Also, where on the shirt should the Heysel disaster be remembered? As much as Hillsborough was an out-and-out tragedy, so was Heysel, yet i don't see any mention of the Juventus fans who died on this forum. A plaque at Anfield is simply not enough imo. Perhaps the numbers "85" and "89" either side of a symbol on the back of the shirt to represent the years in question would be a nice touch.

How do you think the bulk of the Juve support would react to that, and more importantly the families of the 39 would feel?

You will never see the victims of that day commemorated on a Liverpool shirt imho for one very simple reason, and that is because the families of the 39 would not allow it. The plaque at Anfield took a long time to come about and even it was touch and go for a long time until those families agreed to it.

As for Heysel not being mentioned on this forum. You are wrong. It gets mentioned every year and anytime anyone who does not know about it asks a question, people always try to point them in the right direction for information on what happened.

Unfortunately, and like Hillsborough, it often gets used by people looking to bait or score points rather than getting treated with the respect and sorrow it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Quote:
    @SkySportsMobile: Jermain Defoe admits that he asked to leave Tottenham in January and that a loan to Liverpool was a real possibility #LFC #THFC

Are LFC that desperate though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

James McCarthy would be definitely be our second best central midfielder after Lucas. He would probably cost in excess of 10m though and I'm sure better value is to be had on the continent

he was the only other one i considered, but I think we have to give Henderson a chance.

McCarthy would be a bit of a sideways step IMO.

but he would, at the very least, add depth in that position. plus he can play deep or further forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

surely this implies having the "96" somewhere on the club shirt for eternity? i.e. every season it must be there, otherwise that argument is moot.

I would be fine with it being there on every iteration of our jersey going forward tbh, and it should have been there for a long time before now imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

SlickRic wrote: »
    he was the only other one i considered, but I think we have to give Henderson a chance.

McCarthy would be a bit of a sideways step IMO.

but he would, at the very least, add depth in that position. plus he can play deep or further forward.

McCarthy has been playing a holding midfield role with Wigan the last while and he has been really impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

ush wrote: »
    Quote:

Are LFC that desperate though?

Whats his contract situation like ?

For anything sub £5mil+2/3yrs wage I would take him in a heart beat.

No denying he would have cleared up for us with the amount of balls that went across the opponents six yard box this season with no one to finish.

He can be lethal at close range.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

If Defoe is the height of our aspirations even if it is cover for the main striker whoever that should be come next season, IF we paid anything over £5M. I'd be livid, but that's just me.

edit - just read last few posts, loan would be alright.

edit - he's nearly 30! Thought he was a couple of years younger than that tbh.

and we shouldn't want, nor do we need Defoe.

i've had my fill of overpriced and/or overpaid British players.

plus he was never as good as some said he was, mainly Harry Redknapp. he'd go on about how brilliant a finisher he is, while at the same time rarely play him.

keep away IMO.

• Advertisement

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Yes, like I said he was entitled to complain and him complaining doesn't reflect badly on his managerial abilities.

We didn't sign Alves/Barry/Aguero and god knows how many other players because Rafa wasn't given the funds. That's my point - would he have the funds now if he came back? Would we be as attractive to these players as an 8th place Europa League team if we only offered average wages, even if Benitez was back at the helm? Would Benitez be able to get the team back in CL contention next season if he came in tomorrow and the club didn't have the funds or the status to bring these players in? My gut feeling is no.

As I say though, if FSG are going to put £50m+ into the first team this summer and offered competitive wages (say, what we're paying Maxi, Kuyt, Aquilani and Cole who'll hopefully be leaving), I'd be delighted if it was Benitez doing the buying.
    Barry didn't come because he was watching a Liverpool match and he claims he heard the fans singing "you can stick gareth barry up your arse".

The point made about Ramsey, Pato, Alexis, Alves etc is that Rafa certainly has a talent for spotting talent young, even look at Insua, Paletta and Leto since they left us.

Of course we'd be attractive as we're LFC. Look at Italian teams like Inter, Lazio and Juve over the last 10/15 years during bad spells they were always able to attract good players because the players could see they were big clubs and there was a project to get back to the top.

It would be great if we could offload the wages of Cole, Kuyt, Maxi and Aurelio although personally I think Aquilani has something to offer but either way this season he's either kept or sold and no more of this loaning out nonsense. As I've said on previous posts although Carragher is a legend and turning 35 this season, he ain't worth £80k a week to be 3rd or 4th choice.

I do think Benitez would get us closer than Dalglish is doing though, I remember thinking during the cup final first half that I've never seen a Liverpool in a big game perform so bad tactically and just look so under motivated. Got me thinking about the previous games against Chelsea, RMadrid, Barca, Juve etc in recent years. Even with the likes of Biscan, Traore and LeTallec turning out for us in crucial games we still performed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bringing bad news like that should be a weeks ban. ;)

No English players during the summer please.

joe123 wrote: »
    McCarthy has been playing a holding midfield role with Wigan the last while and he has been really impressive.

only for the last couple of months.

before that though, and i'm a bit wary of this, Wigan were shíte.

and he's been nowhere near their best performer in the last few weeks. i just would watch it before splashing the cash on him. you only have to look on this thread at some of the well-researched opinions from posters such as Kess, that there is far better value available on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

amiable wrote: »
    Doni?

Midfilder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Big difference between wanting Defoe on loan and signing him I'd say.

Al these backroom changes could mean Kenny is staying and the advisers are taking the hit.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

DNOI:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I just want to clarify, I consider Rafa a legend for what he did with the club and I have no doubt that he's an incredible manager. There's literally nobody I'd rather have managing the club if Kenny should leave, but only under the right circumstances.

I'm struggling to find it on youtube, but watching a stream of the WBA match a few weeks ago, there was a managerial profile of Benitez on at half-time. Clips of interviews, match highlights, achievements etc. There was one interview clip, it looked like it was from LFC TV, wherein he states how difficult it is for mid-level clubs to break into the Champions League because they don't have the players. He's fairly forthcoming in stating that his tactics only really work because he has the right calibre of player to do what he wants them to do. His point was that other managers in the PL aren't as fortunate as he is, but it makes a lot of sense when you look at the noises he's made at Liverpool and Inter about getting the players he wants.

I'm not for a second implying that he's not entitled to complain when he's not able to sign who he wants, or that he's a lesser manager for it, but if the circumstances aren't in place for him to make the ideal return (i.e. unless FSG would give him regular backing in the from of investment) then I'm not sure the time is right.

Excellent post. We, and premier league fans in general, place far too much stock on individual "big name" managers. There are plenty of very good young managers around who could do a good job at Liverpool, yet we constantly recycle the same old names. We've got a young squad and, with the exception of Gerrard, we don't have any big time Charlies. If Kenny stood aside, there would never be a better time to install a young and upcoming manager. I think Abramovich showed balls hiring AVB but it was perhaps the wrong time with Chelsea having a sort of changing of the guard and quite a few big time charlies such as Lampard, Cole and Terry.

You shouldn't need to justify your position by prefacing your post with "Rafa is a legend", for fear of the diehard Rafa'ites having a go at you. We don't need a big name to take us forward. If it's not Benitez they are clamouring for, it is Deschamps, Mourinho or Pellegrini. I would love to see us bring in a young manager. Italian and Spanish clubs promote talent within their leagues, and I see no reason why a Chris Hughton or even an Alan Pardew couldn't work at Liverpool. I would love to see Sami Hyppia get the job. People say that he'd be too close to certain players, but Kenny himself started as a player manager and put the club first when it came to the tough decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Only way Defoe will get to leave Spurs is if they hold onto Adabeyor, which I dont think they will. His wages are too high and it would smash their wage setup.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Great pic of Sterling in training

7176303630_3f4d82e347_z.jpg

and a GIF of Carroll :pac:

Carroll-enchanting-smile.gif

-Ade- wrote: »
    Great pic of Sterling in training

7176303630_3f4d82e347_z.jpg

and a GIF of Carroll :pac:

Carroll-enchanting-smile.gif

I didn't actually think he smiled until the Chelsea game, was nice to see him playing with a smile on his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Midfilder

Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

You shouldn't need to justify your position by prefacing your post with "Rafa is a legend", for fear of the diehard Rafa'ites having a go at you. We don't need a big name to take us forward. If it's not Benitez they are clamouring for, it is Deschamps, Mourinho or Pellegrini. I would love to see us bring in a young manager. Italian and Spanish clubs promote talent within their leagues, and I see no reason why a Chris Hughton or even an Alan Pardew couldn't work at Liverpool. I would love to see Sami Hyppia get the job. People say that he'd be too close to certain players, but Kenny himself started as a player manager and put the club first when it came to the tough decisions.

Thanks. Just to clarify though, that was an explanatory post as my previous attempt to explain how the time/circumstances mightn't be right for a Benitez return seemed to be interpreted as some kind of anti-Benitez rhetoric. I'm not trying to suggest we go for a lesser-known manager. I'm saying that right now may not be the right time for Benitez to come in.

Just in case "there's literally nobody I'd rather have managing the club if Kenny should leave" isn't clear enough, let me say, I definitely want him back. Nobody is better placed to come in at present given his ability, love for the club, and his current status as a free agent.

My only concern about Rafa coming back is a repeat of the circumstances that saw him leave previously, namely the club not matching his ambitions with investment. Obviously the whole club has changed now, and UFFP is a major factor these days. But I'd be very worried a situation might arise whereby Rafa asked for a sum for a player he thought would improve us, didn't get it, and the team suffered as a result.

If the club built a new stadium by say 2015, remained totally debt free and was profitable enough to self-sustain a large spend on players every summer if needed, there'd be no better man for the job. Right now though, I'd be concerned if Rafa came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Anyone wrote: »
    Only way Defoe will get to leave Spurs is if they hold onto Adabeyor, which I dont think they will. His wages are too high and it would smash their wage setup.

Or if he's entering the last year of his contract which I suspect he is and tells Spurs he's not signing a new contract.
    Don't be surprised to see Spurs sign 2 strikers this summer.
    I'd imagine they'll be quite active this summer espeecially if Bale or Modric are sold and Adebayor can't be signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Lets overtake spurs by signing one of their rejects... no thanks.

Excellent post. We, and premier league fans in general, place far too much stock on individual "big name" managers. There are plenty of very good young managers around who could do a good job at Liverpool, yet we constantly recycle the same old names. We've got a young squad and, with the exception of Gerrard, we don't have any big time Charlies. If Kenny stood aside, there would never be a better time to install a young and upcoming manager. I think Abramovich showed balls hiring AVB but it was perhaps the wrong time with Chelsea having a sort of changing of the guard and quite a few big time charlies such as Lampard, Cole and Terry.

No, people would say that he does not have his coaching badges etc and as such would not be able to manage in England until he got them. Would love to see him back at the club when he has all his qualifications though as the man is a natural leader and is looking like he might be a very shrewd reader of the game from the touchline based on his short time as stand in boss in Germany.

Kenny did start as player manager, but he had one huge advantage over many young managers in the form of Bob Paisley who took the role as Kenny's adviser for Kenny's first two years at the club and during those two years Bob was heavily involved in the media and transfer side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

I'd say that shirt would be in my top 3 of recent history, other favourites would be 02/04 and 93-95. What are other people's recent favourites?
    http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Liverpool/Liverpool.htm

89-91 for me, probably because it was the first kit I got, plus after that they became just another variation of a template have a severe dislike for the Reebok ones though. The current one grew on me after a while too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I have this one:

liverpool_2006-2008-a.gif

I quite like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

asdfgh86 wrote: »
    I'd say that shirt would be in my top 3 of recent history, other favourites would be 02/04 and 93-95. What are other people's recent favourites?

Great link. My first shirt was the 76-79 shirt. Then the 82 and 87. Never had any of the Candy ones and to be honest they are awful. Last few were 04-06, 08, 10. I had a few variants in yellow and the black ones where the Calrsberg logo crumpled up a bit and the shirt became a bit pointy in the chest area. It is now my painting shirt !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Kess73 wrote: »
    Kenny did start as player manager, but he had one huge advantage over many young managers in the form of Bob Paisley who took the role as Kenny's adviser for Kenny's first two years at the club and during those two years Bob was heavily involved in the media and transfer side of things.
    What you're actually doing here is undermining Kenny's role in his initial success, by implying it was largley down to Paisley's guidance. That's utter rubbish. It wouldn't matter if he had Bono, the Pope and John F. Kennedy as his advisors. He became Liverpool's player manager and romped home with a league/fa cup double. He was the one calling the shots. If anything, these days it would be easier for a manager to come in, given the huge support network of staff who take care of the players.

A great advisor/no.2 will only get you so far. Case in point, Bobby Robson and Stan. Afterall, in Stan's words, the manager is "the gaffer".

LFC has always eschewed hero worship. The tradition of Kenny and the bootroom has always been that of the collective. We should never look to one man for our silver bullet, and that's what's wrong with all the Rafa brigade. Rafa did a great job for us, but without huge cash he can't compete any more than any other manager (as he himself remarked - see Sappy's post). Where would that leave us? The same old public squabbles as last time (Rick Parry nonsense). And then again washing his dirty linen in public at Inter. Both situations were far from ideal for Rafa but he didn't cover himself in glory with his behaviour.

In my opinion a younger manager who sees the job as a project would be a better option - someone who wants to prove themselves at the top table. Think of the integrity that Guardiola brings to the table with his 1-year contracts. There are young managers out there who could do a job for us.

Of course, another option - given the lack of resources (compared to City & Chelsea) - would be to hire someone who loves the club and would walk over hot coals to take the job, e.g. Sami Hyppia.....or, wait, hang on a minute...why not just keep KENNY DALGLISH!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

bloke on the .tv forums saying we've tied up a deal for Diamé off Wigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

First kit I got was the 93-95 one with Rush on the back when I was 7, so have a soft spot for that. Also had the away one from that year as a cast off from my cousin and quite liked it as well.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Liverpool/Liverpool-change-kits.html

The following years one (95-96) I had Collymore on the back and it was a pretty horrible kit I must say. Not a fan of the weird cricket collar.

Favourite recent away kit was the grey 08-09 one. We've had some pretty horrible away shirts through the years

Morzadec wrote: »
    First kit I got was the 93-95 one with Rush on the back when I was 7, so have a soft spot for that. Also had the away one from that year as a cast off from my cousin and quite liked it as well.

The following years one (95-96) I had Collymore on the back and it was a pretty horrible kit I must say. Not a fan of the weird cricket collar.

Favourite recent away kit was the grey 08-09 one. We've had some pretty horrible away shirts through the years

The majority of them are ok, bar the 93-95, 96-97, and the current white one.

Good thing the keepers ones have always been top class.

liverpool-goalkeeper-1995-97.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

I like the away shirts from the same years I liked the home shirts 93-95 and 02-03 (07-08 wasn't bad either)

Hate when they're yellow and the white ones are a bit tacky too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

asdfgh86 wrote: »

The price of those kits are crazy. I won't be buying myself a retro strip.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Seriously impressed with the jersey - a must buy me thinks!

What you're actually doing here is undermining Kenny's role in his initial success, by implying it was largley down to Paisley's guidance. That's utter rubbish. It wouldn't matter if he had Bono, the Pope and John F. Kennedy as his advisors. He became Liverpool's player manager and romped home with a league/fa cup double. He was the one calling the shots. If anything, these days it would be easier for a manager to come in, given the huge support network of staff who take care of the players.

A great advisor/no.2 will only get you so far. Case in point, Bobby Robson and Stan. Afterall, in Stan's words, the manager is "the gaffer".

LFC has always eschewed hero worship. The tradition of Kenny and the bootroom has always been that of the collective. We should never look to one man for our silver bullet, and that's what's wrong with all the Rafa brigade. Rafa did a great job for us, but without huge cash he can't compete any more than any other manager (as he himself remarked - see Sappy's post). Where would that leave us? The same old public squabbles as last time (Rick Parry nonsense). And then again washing his dirty linen in public at Inter. Both situations were far from ideal for Rafa but he didn't cover himself in glory with his behaviour.

In my opinion a younger manager who sees the job as a project would be a better option - someone who wants to prove themselves at the top table. Think of the integrity that Guardiola brings to the table with his 1-year contracts. There are young managers out there who could do a job for us.

Of course, another option - given the lack of resources (compared to City & Chelsea) - would be to hire someone who loves the club and would walk over hot coals to take the job, e.g. Sami Hyppia.....or, wait, hang on a minute...why not just keep KENNY DALGLISH!!!
    I would class Rafa as young, he's only 52. Which is 21 years younger than the great Trapattoni

People call say Chris Hughton young but he's nearly 54, just the perception of being in shorts or a tracksuit on the touchline rather than a suit might make Rafa appear older. Even Dalglish and O'Neill appear younger than Rafa and both of them are 60 and 61.

Guardiola's one year deals add to uncertainty year in year out from March onwards, there was constant speculation the last couple of years at Barca around this time of year which isn't good.

I do like Hyypia and thought he was an excellent player and leader and always handled himself well even when Houllier took the captaincy from him to give to Gerrard, but I think he needs more than six games to earn himself the Liverpool job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

bloke on the .tv forums saying we've tied up a deal for Diamé off Wigan.

would like to see us do some shrewd business on Bosmans this season (if that is indeed possible) if there is not alot of money to spend this summer.

Diame is not a bad option on that front, still young and could act as cover for Lucas.

No I am not undermining Kenny in any way. I am simply stating what the club did. They put in a young player/manager and brought in our most successful manager to help ease him into the role.

Are you seriousely comparing a well past it Bobby Robson and the hapless Staunton to the Dalglish/Paisley combo? Staunton was so useless as a manager it would not matter who was brought in to help him. :D

Dalglish on the other hand had plenty of raw managerial talent so having a great like Paisley helping him out allowed Dalglish to reach his potential quicker.

Have no idea why you brought one of your usual rants against Rafa into youyr reply to me when I mentioned nothing about Rafa.

And Liverpool FC have always eschewed hero worship? Really? For decades and decades it has been one of the clubs that has always lauded it's heroes. Shanks did it with many of his players, Bob did it, Joe did it, Kenny did it and so on, and in return the supporters placed those managers on pedestals as well.

Liverpool FC eschews heroes. What a joke of a statement. Better go check out who the gates are named after, whose has a nice big statue in front of the ground, and take a stadium tour and then come back to me and say the club has always eschewed heroes.

Surprised to see you of all people touting Sami for a managerial role, I would have thought that Carragher would be more your speed given some of your past comments about Carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Jayob10 wrote: »
    would like to see us do some shrewd business on Bosmans this season (if that is indeed possible) if there is not alot of money to spend this summer.

Diame is not a bad option on that front, still young and could act as cover for Lucas.

If for argument's sake he was right and we did sign him that would be great business for him and dont forget he's a free agent. It would mean we could probably get a couple of million for Spearing. It's the kind of business we should be doing, in fact we'd be mad not to. It would also mean we could keep the big money for a striker or winger

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Surprised to see you of all people touting Sami for a managerial role, I would have thought that Carragher would be more your speed given some of your past comments about Carragher.
    Looking at how Carragher plays football himself I'd imagine he'd make Jack Charlton look like the visionary who invented the short one touch passing game..

But Carragher for me wears his heart too much, maybe like Graeme Souness or Roy Keane where they can't transform their mentality into the managerial game and let emotions in the way too much because no one can reach their levels of perfection. Even the way he throttled Arbeloa a few years ago is maybe a sign that he's more of a Phil Thompson and suited to the number 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

With this talk of Diame on a bosman, here are a few more names of players who are available on a free. Obviously our record of signing free agents has been poor in recent years, but i'd like to think we could sign a Gary Mac from somewhere on this list :

(edit- some of these players may have signed new deals since this was posted)

Keepers
    Andres Palop, Rene Adler, Timo Hildebrand, Tim Wiese, Craig Gordon, Mark Schwartzer, Carlo Cudicini, Heurelho Gomes

Defenders
    Hedwiges Maduro, Eric Adibal, Luis Perea, Christian Chivu, Danijel Pranjic, Khalid Boulahrouz, Carlos Cuellar, Maynor Figueroa

Midfielders
    Flamini, Seedorf, Van Bommel, Tranquillo Barnetta, Jefferson Farfan, Tim Borowski, Mohamed Diame, Royston Drenthe, Marcos Senna, Ederson

Strikers
    Ivica Olic, Luca Toni, Raul, Pavel Pogrebnyak, Didier Drogba, Dimitar Berbatov, Hugo Rodellega, Cristian Tello, Salomon Kalou,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

How old is Barnetta now?

G.K. wrote: »
    How old is Barnetta now?

26 (27 later this month)

Was surprised when I saw that tbh as I thought he was older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Looking at how Carragher plays football himself I'd imagine he'd make Jack Charlton look like the visionary who invented the short one touch passing game..

But Carragher for me wears his heart too much, maybe like Graeme Souness or Roy Keane where they can't transform their mentality into the managerial game and let emotions in the way too much because no one can reach their levels of perfection. Even the way he throttled Arbeloa a few years ago is maybe a sign that he's more of a Phil Thompson and suited to the number 2

The latter part I'd definitely agree with, but not so much with the first paragraph. I do think Carragher is a man who knows his limitations on the football pitch, and the limitations of others.
    I'd be surprised if he didn't try and get players to pass the ball and play a some what decent style of football, albeit a rigid one I'll grant you that.

From what people have said about him he seems to be a walking encyclepedia on footballaing matters and so his knowledge of the game,and understanding of it I would argue is pretty good.

Also, I don't think he has poor footballing intelligence, when he gets caught out its usually because of his pace or height. Granted, he's nowhere near Hyppia's level in that regard, but he's not poor by any means. (I know you weren't saying he was, but felt I'd mention it anyway)

That said, although I'd be interested in seeing him as a manager, just wouldn't be keen seeing him in the dugout for Liverpool, certainly not as his first job.

But in a hypotethical contest between Gerrard (another name people seem to tout) and Carragher for an emergency manager, Carra wins hands down for me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement