Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Knex. wrote: »
    We have yet to really get a transfer budjet from our new owners though haven't we? I mean, dragging up the ol net spend argument again I know, but most of the money spent was made in the transfer market through either player sales or cutting the wage bill as far as I could gather.

In my eyes we'd have been lucky to get 30m in the two windows combined. Anything reduced on that and we can say goodbye to CL football tbh. Way too much needs to be strentghened and if last summer is anything to go by, 30m is definitely not enough.

If memory serves me right, buying after a major championship (Euro or world) and you get robbed. Chelsea and Arsenal have moved for players before it all kicks off. It would be nice to see Liverpool get a move on and balance the books with sales of our own later in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Knex. wrote: »
    We have yet to really get a transfer budjet from our new owners though haven't we? I mean, dragging up the ol net spend argument again I know, but most of the money spent was made in the transfer market through either player sales or cutting the wage bill as far as I could gather.

In my eyes we'd have been lucky to get 30m in the two windows combined. Anything reduced on that and we can say goodbye to CL football tbh. Way too much needs to be strentghened and if last summer is anything to go by, 30m is definitely not enough.

Net spend is a fair point in fairness though when you consider Torres sale and the others made up a large proportion of our sales cost.

This window is a make or break window for our new American owners as we do need around 40-50 million for 3 new players.

Whether we get the funds or not, I think Kenny is more reliable with smaller fees.
    Adam, Enrique, Bellamy, Coates, Rush and Barnes :P were all successful signings for less than 10 million each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

adams? Successful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

G.K. wrote: »
    adams? Successful?

I's thinks thats mays haves beens tongues ins cheeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

On a serious note but ...

Has anyone else (like me) totally forgot about Charlie Adam ?

just a measure I suppose of how ineffective a first season he has had.

• Advertisement

adams? Successful?

First half of the season he was actually ok.

2nd half - poor.

He was bought as a squad player but due to injuries ended up playing week in week out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

opr wrote: »
    @stephen1martin: Sorry, some misunderstanding. The Daily Mirror has reported that 'KD stays but there's a reduced budget'. Neither have been decided. #lfc

I don't really put much value in what he says but thought I would post it.

Opr

I call utter bullsh*t on such rumours anyway, simple logic makes them nonsense.

We have to assume that the intention of the owners is to get Liverpool FC up the table as quickly as possible in order to protect and increase the value of their investment.

They will come to the conclusion that the types of player you need to begin that climb needs to result in a budget of £X amount.

They will also come to the conclusion as to the type of manager or specific manager needed to do that.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Therefore if they decide that Kenny is the man to do the job and get LFC up the table quicker than any other managerial option, then it makes absolutely no logical sense to give him a lower budget than £X, since that is the amount required to get the right players.

If they decide that Kenny is not the man for the job, then they will not be keeping him in the job.

If the budget is lower than £X, it will not be because of the manager in place, it will be for other reasons.

It makes no logical sense whatsoever to make a conscious decision to give a particular manager a lower transfer budget than they would another manager. No logical sense whatsoever. If you're worried about money being wasted, you wouldn't give that manager a single pound to spend. And if you wouldn't give that manager a single pound, then he is not the manager you want in the position.

It's a load of nonsense that is to my mind just completely and totally made up by journalists who get ideas for stories from message boards like this one.

Morzadec wrote: »
    We'd be mad to sell Reina. Absolutely mad, it's so hard to find a good solid keeper and he should have a good few years left in him. I've watched far too many dodgy goalkeepers line out for Liverpool in the past were your heart was in your mouth any time a shot from distance went on target to want to risk another.

He's had one bad season. To be honest I wouldn't even say it was that bad. A few errors (can't remember anything i would describe as a howler) but he had plenty of games where he played grand.

Also goalkeepers seem to often only get judged on their saves they make or don't make. There's much more to being a goalkeeper than that imo, and you'd be hard pressed to find a goalkeeper with better distribution than Pepe.

We will be almost certainly weakening our squad if we were to sell him. I don't want to do that.

One of my favourite players Pepe, and I'm sure he'll bounce back next season. Was delighted with his reaction to making a great save from Lukaku when we were already 4-1 up. I think it shows that he knows he could have done better at times and that he still has the desire and drive to perform well

Afaik he's not officially for sale. just here on boards :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Lucas out having a meal with his Spanish speaking buddies .

Carra couldn't make it - he was washing his hair ;)

f79e84169baf11e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Leiva wrote: »
    On a serious note but ...

Has anyone else (like me) totally forgot about Charlie Adam ?

The Blackpool player?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    First half of the season he was actually ok.

2nd half - poor.

He was bought as a squad player but due to injuries ended up playing week in week out.

He was only ok because of Lucas. None of LFC's other CM's are good enough to cover his deficiencies.

That's my view anyway, you guys'll have seen more of him than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

He was actually washing his wife's hair ... with good ole, honest to goodness English shampoo ... none of that foreign rubbish that you can't undertand the directions on the bottle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Rumours that Kenny is gone come Monday

He was only ok because of Lucas. None of LFC's other CM's are good enough to cover his deficiencies.

You are pretty spot on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

amiable wrote: »

What rumours? Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lucas out having a meal with his Spanish speaking buddies .

f79e84169baf11e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg

Its exactly this kind of ethnic/linguistic clique that needs breaking up I tell you, nothing good comes of it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Just twitter stuff? Sorry I usually don't ask but wouldn't mind getting a few quid on if it was in anyway reliable.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

This is just loopy stuff, Kess, absolutely loopy stuff!

The bootroom philosophy was that of the common man. From Shankly right up to Evans it was all about having a guy at the helm who discussed tactics over a cup of tea in the bootroom. It's a different type of hero, a working class hero and a man that the supporters could identify with. Kenny has the quality of being "one of us" and I welcome that type of manager to the club.

"One of my usual Rafa rants" - that's a bit petty. I'm not about to engage in a slagging match. You're happy to have a pop at me for my fairly reasonable opinions yet you expect others to that you seriously with your almost daily incredulous scouting reports about players from various obscure leagues around Europe. You may indeed know more about the positional play of a winger in the Turkish 2nd division and I applaud you for this. I simply do not have the time or interest to follow every single football league in the world.

You would see it's not an anti-Rafa rant if you took the time to consider my points without throwing a wobbler simply because I took you to task on a few issues. The Rafa comments are addressed at the general clamour for his return which another poster had mentioned. I think the call for Rafa to return is misguided.

I'm not comparing Stan & Robbo to Paisley and Dalglish. My point was simply that the buck stops with the manager. Of course Stan was a complete eejit. Bob Paisley wasn't giving the team talks. In your imagination, perhaps Paisley had a much bigger role, but in reality Kenny's success was unprecedented and you're kind of being unfair to the man for somehow excusing that success.

Kess - the sniping little Carragher comment is just daft, and deserving of contempt. I don't think Jamie Carragher has any management potential at all, nor do I think he should be in the first team.

Showing your total lack of knowledge about the club you claim to support. Must be in Kenny's imagination as well as in one of his books he states that Bob was a presence in the changing room at the start of Kenny's term as manager, and that Bob did deal with a lot of the media stuff as well as getting involved with the transfer side of things with Kenny. Ah shure Kenny must be spoofing about what Bob did as well.:D

And the Carragher comment is deserving of contempt? Behave you stirrer. There are a few posts from not too long back where you were praising Carragher to the heavens and saying he was a far better player for Liverpool than Sami ever was, and that Carragher had the better footballing mind for reading and understanding the game. Now you are calling for Sami to come back and manage the club. Classic you :D:D:D

As for taking time to consider your points. No need as you change them on a regular basis to suit whatever spoof you try to pass off as that week's opinion. Bit like earlier today how you tried to make fun of the idea of Deschamps as Liverpool manager, 43 year old Deschamps, and then went off talking about how young managers should be given a chance to manage Liverpool and used two examples of young managers that were in their 50's.

But keep on telling me about the bootroom and the Liverpool way. It is always great craic when I get an Irish lad telling me about how things were at the club in that city I grew up in. Maybe next you can tell me what it was like to go to games at Anfield in the 70's and 80's or at least what some Sky pundit said about it.

Must be about time for you to start your Why isn't Flanagan playing for Ireland routine again, after all you have not done that for a few months now :D

Doubt if anyone will argue with you. This season showed that other than Lucas, Liverpool have no CM with a bit of steel in their play.

Just twitter stuff? Sorry I usually don't ask but wouldn't mind getting a few quid on if it was in anyway reliable.

Opr
    Its just twitter. Im on my phone otherwise id post some of the stuff being said.

Supposedly Kenny is stepping aside/upstairs according to these rumours.

Ballague stirring **** on twitter too tonight about Rafa.

• Advertisement

Rafa back in the hotseat?

Kess73 wrote: »

Doubt if anyone will argue with you. This season showed that other than Lucas, Liverpool have no CM with a bit of steel in their play.
    Last summer I was desperate for the club to sign a player to dictate a game from the middle. You agreed IIRC. Still stand by it and Im confident they will attempt to solve that this summer

Guillem Balague (@GuillemBalague)
    I hear lots of rumours about Rafa and LFC. I havent heard nothing at all on that. But it is amazing the amount of people who want RB back
    That's all he said.

Opr

Id keep my money in my pocket OPR.

I would guess it started with someone speculating hoping to look clever if it comes true

Bookies favourite too...

Guillem Balague (@GuillemBalague)
    I hear lots of rumours about Rafa and LFC. I havent heard nothing at all on that. But it is amazing the amount of people who want RB back
    That's all he said.

Opr
    And Paul Edwards called him up on it

Bookies favourite too...
    Very short price earlier. Bookies like to generate hysteria

Why was he trying to imply we're crazy to want him back? I thought him and Rafa got on?

Opr

Only takes one or two big bets to create very short odds. Remember how the odds on Ribery joining Liverpool dropped a few years back thanks to one or two big bets? Loads of mugs then dove in to place bets and the only ones smiling afterwards were the bookies.

• Advertisement

Why was he trying to imply we're crazy to want him back? I thought him and Rafa got on?

Opr
    he just said there has been no contact between Rafa and Liverpool and said if thats what Rafa wants he should contact the club.

Ballague also retweeted lots of replies.
    Hes trying to stir

I know that, wouldn't touch a manager bet.

If I stuck £100 quid on O' Neill now, the odds would probably half !

Only takes one or two big bets to create very short odds. Remember how the odds on Ribery joining Liverpool dropped a few years back thanks to one or two big bets? Loads of mugs then dove in to place bets and the only ones smiling afterwards were the bookies.
    Ive heard before Terry Venables used to back himself for managers jobs even if he hadnt been contacted.
    Only cost him a couple of grand and kept his name in the spotlight.
    These markets are a punters graveyard imo unless you have inside info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just popping in to say Opr has paid up on the bet as outlined here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73850073&postcount=10043

Opr is not a welcher.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just on Reina, I thought he was pretty good up to Christmas barring 1 or 2 blunders, it's only since then I've noticed a drop in form.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Like ****, you're stopping in to gloat :pac:

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

You wouldn't even get 100 on

You wouldn't even get 100 on
    Id say you would. Depends with what bookie too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Its just twitter. Im on my phone otherwise id post some of the stuff being said.

Supposedly Kenny is stepping aside/upstairs according to these rumours.

Ballague stirring **** on twitter too tonight about Rafa.

Same stuff being said on the liverpool.tv forums tonight. General argument there is the fans would not be happy at all.

adams? Successful?

Yeah Tony Adams very successful. Charlie Adam not too bad. 2 goals and 10 assists isn't an awful return circa player that's been out for a while.
    He is crap without Lucas but its not his fault either that Soearing or Henderson or Gerrard are suited to play beside him in a midfield two.
    He has t been an astounding success but he certainly hasn't been the abject failure either.
    If he had a bad start and finished strongly, like Wigan, I reckon he'd be getting far more praise.
    Funny no one questioned Bellamy though. 6 goals and 3 assists with very similiar minutes played. Has he been that much more successful. Been ineffective lately.
    Being a defensively sound midfielder is not his forte nor does he put in aggressive and committed displays like Spearing but he has provided for others.

Exams have really ****ed me up! I'm defending Adam but damn it someone has to fight his corner.
    It's me and Charlie agaisnt the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Maybe next you can tell me what it was like to go to games at Anfield in the 70's and 80's or at least what some Sky pundit said about it.

You had Sky in seventies? We only had RTE1 and RTE2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Seems in recent weeks people are giving credence to the rumour because it 'won't go away'. Well, why would it? Things have only gotten worse since. That's not to say it didn't start with some people with limited imaginations talking sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Re Willy and Reina

It's only 8 months ago you were describing him as world class cool.gif

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74295475

This is a perfect example of what i point out about the obessives. If they want to be critical about Liverpool, by all means, go ahead. There's debates to be had if they seriously have something relevant to say rather than simply trying to get a rise.

But they just basically see which way the wind is blowing in a Liverpool thread and then p!ss against it. They then tend to get lost amidst it all and don't actually know what point it is they're trying to make!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Showing your total lack of knowledge about the club you claim to support. Must be in Kenny's imagination as well as in one of his books he states that Bob was a presence in the changing room at the start of Kenny's term as manager, and that Bob did deal with a lot of the media stuff as well as getting involved with the transfer side of things with Kenny. Ah shure Kenny must be spoofing about what Bob did as well.:D

And the Carragher comment is deserving of contempt? Behave you stirrer. There are a few posts from not too long back where you were praising Carragher to the heavens and saying he was a far better player for Liverpool than Sami ever was, and that Carragher had the better footballing mind for reading and understanding the game. Now you are calling for Sami to come back and manage the club. Classic you :D:D:D

As for taking time to consider your points. No need as you change them on a regular basis to suit whatever spoof you try to pass off as that week's opinion. Bit like earlier today how you tried to make fun of the idea of Deschamps as Liverpool manager, 43 year old Deschamps, and then went off talking about how young managers should be given a chance to manage Liverpool and used two examples of young managers that were in their 50's.

But keep on telling me about the bootroom and the Liverpool way. It is always great craic when I get an Irish lad telling me about how things were at the club in that city I grew up in. Maybe next you can tell me what it was like to go to games at Anfield in the 70's and 80's or at least what some Sky pundit said about it.

Must be about time for you to start your Why isn't Flanagan playing for Ireland routine again, after all you have not done that for a few months now :D
    Ah this is madness. Smiley faces OTT, angry and smug.
    A crazed post. I thought you were just being petty but this is loo-laa territory.

So Bob Paisley had a significant input in Kenny's early days. Ok I accept that. And Kenny is a humble man and will never take the credit. It's just lunacy to try and use the Paisley factor to undermine KK's achievements as a player-manager. How about this Kess: you can have Didier Deschamps, I'm sticking with Kenny.

You're attacking me for being Irish and not from Liverpool. Because you are from Liverpool you are a higher authority on all things LFC? Of course I'm Irish, it's boards.ie - what do you expect? Flanagan for Ireland? Hopefully Trap will give him a call. Good luck with Roy this summer by the way!

Kess - I'm honoured that you take such a close interest in my posts. I only hope that one day I, too, will have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the Turkish/French/Russian/Belgian/German/Spanish/Swiss/Portuguese/Italian/Norwegian/Estonian football leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Exams have really ****ed me up! I'm defending Adam but damn it someone has to fight his corner.
    It's me and Charlie agaisnt the world!

Show your support, change your name, complete with extra s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Show your support, change your name, complete with extra s.

Likewise, Gordon Henderson!!! We'll have the full squad by next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Am I going mad or is The Chessplayer calling one of the most reasonable, balanced and knowledgeable posters on the Soccer forum a bit of a spoofer? I'm all on for resonable debate but I think you're very wrong on this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

How do you think the bulk of the Juve support would react to that, and more importantly the families of the 39 would feel?

You will never see the victims of that day commemorated on a Liverpool shirt imho for one very simple reason, and that is because the families of the 39 would not allow it. The plaque at Anfield took a long time to come about and even it was touch and go for a long time until those families agreed to it.

As for Heysel not being mentioned on this forum. You are wrong. It gets mentioned every year and anytime anyone who does not know about it asks a question, people always try to point them in the right direction for information on what happened.

Unfortunately, and like Hillsborough, it often gets used by people looking to bait or score points rather than getting treated with the respect and sorrow it should.

But you said yourself - whilst the families of the 96 are not unhappy with the shirt, they weren't all consulted; so whether the families of the 39 wanted it or not, seemingly it could be done.

Liverpool FC were involved in 2 major tragedies in the 1980s and it's quite appropriate to respect and remember both situations. It's an emotive issue so i'll bow out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

But you said yourself - whilst the families of the 96 are not unhappy with the shirt, they weren't all consulted; so whether the families of the 39 wanted it or not, seemingly it could be done.

Liverpool FC were involved in 2 major tragedies in the 1980s and it's quite appropriate to respect and remember both situations. It's an emotive issue so i'll bow out of this.

What the fuck is this shit??!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement