Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Yeah Tony Adams very successful. Charlie Adam not too bad. 2 goals and 10 assists isn't an awful return circa player that's been out for a while.
    He is crap without Lucas but its not his fault either that Soearing or Henderson or Gerrard are suited to play beside him in a midfield two.
    He has t been an astounding success but he certainly hasn't been the abject failure either.
    If he had a bad start and finished strongly, like Wigan, I reckon he'd be getting far more praise.
    Funny no one questioned Bellamy though. 6 goals and 3 assists with very similiar minutes played. Has he been that much more successful. Been ineffective lately.
    Being a defensively sound midfielder is not his forte nor does he put in aggressive and committed displays like Spearing but he has provided for others.

Adam is a decent squad option to partner Lucas for the money spent. As you say the problem was the general lack of midfield quality once you take out Lucas, even Spearing was out around Christmas with a suspension and IIRC a niggly injury so we'd no DM at all, and Adam had to try that role.

As for the Kenny rumours, I'm not convinced. I've a notion the back room clear out is to get a new team in behind Kenny as I think nearly everybody would agree he was poorly advised on off field matters during the season. It could be they have faith in Kenny, just not the people helping him out, Comolli and the PR guy being 2 perfect examples.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

K-9 wrote: »
    I've a notion the back room clear out is to get a new team in behind Kenny as I think nearly everybody would agree he was poorly advised on off field matters during the season. It could be they have faith in Kenny, just not the people helping him out, Comolli and the PR guy being 2 perfect examples.

Thats a very good analysis of the whole sorry mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Adam is a decent squad option to partner Lucas for the money spent. As you say the problem was the general lack of midfield quality once you take out Lucas, even Spearing was out around Christmas with a suspension and IIRC a niggly injury so we'd no DM at all, and Adam had to try that role.

As for the Kenny rumours, I'm not convinced. I've a notion the back room clear out is to get a new team in behind Kenny as I think nearly everybody would agree he was poorly advised on off field matters during the season. It could be they have faith in Kenny, just not the people helping him out, Comolli and the PR guy being 2 perfect examples.

Id have a small wager alot of the movement is down to Brian Barwick since he came in a couple of months ago. I think he is giving the owners an advisory role as well as the more formal role he got.

But you said yourself - whilst the families of the 96 are not unhappy with the shirt, they weren't all consulted; so whether the families of the 39 wanted it or not, seemingly it could be done.

Liverpool FC were involved in 2 major tragedies in the 1980s and it's quite appropriate to respect and remember both situations. It's an emotive issue so i'll bow out of this.

Heysel is for Juventus and the family members involved, Going on your logic the Belgian FA, UEFA and the Belgian police should also commemorate it. I don't know why people feel the need to comment on Heysel and Hillsborough as if they were the same, I mean why? Heysel doesn't make the pain Hillsborough victims feel lesser.

Is the pain the Bradford fire families greater because their club had no Heysel?

daithijjj wrote: »
    Id have a small wager alot of the movement is down to Brian Barwick since he came in a couple of months ago. I think he is giving the owners an advisory role as well as the more formal role he got.

Makes sense. I'm just not sure this Monday conference means Kenny is gone, it certainly could look that way or it could mean a new DoF which I'd say FSG have had sounded out for ages, pre the Comolli sacking.

Off field we've been a shambles. Comolli over paying, I'd say stupid legal advice during the Suarez thing and other stuff. We'll see on Monday but I don't think it is as cut and dried as some think.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Is there a conference called for Monday?

Is there a conference called for Monday?

Supposed to be and the pre-match press interview canceled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I'm still not ruling out this prediction I made

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78086142&postcount=2039

I have a small wager on this at a big price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

amiable wrote: »

Paul Lambertm, just another flavour of the month manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Of course he isn't - his work for the last 3 seasons has been excellent.

• Advertisement

Heysel is for Juventus and the family members involved, Going on your logic the Belgian FA, UEFA and the Belgian police should also commemorate it. I don't know why people feel the need to comment on Heysel and Hillsborough as if they were the same, I mean why? Heysel doesn't make the pain Hillsborough victims feel lesser.

Is the pain the Bradford fire families greater because their club had no Heysel?

Makes sense. I'm just not sure this Monday conference means Kenny is gone, it certainly could look that way or it could mean a new DoF which I'd say FSG have had sounded out for ages, pre the Comolli sacking.

Off field we've been a shambles. Comolli over paying, I'd say stupid legal advice during the Suarez thing and other stuff. We'll see on Monday but I don't think it is as cut and dried as some think.

I somehow doubt Fenway Sports Management would re-tweet this 3 days ago if Kenny was going anywhere.

"Dalglish has given us amazing performances, next season it will be same performances with results".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

daithijjj wrote: »
    I somehow doubt Fenway Sports Management would re-tweet this 3 days ago if Kenny was going anywhere.

"Dalglish has given us amazing performances, next season it will be same performances with results".

Mister Henry tweeted something before last season saying that the missing link from the 2010/11 season was Aquilani and he also said something about Ngogs form pre season too...a few weeks later they were gone from Anfield.

For anyone that doesn't think Kenny will be in charge, put your money where your mouth is ;)

He's 6/4 not to be there come August.

markie29 wrote: »
    Mister Henry tweeted something before last season saying that the missing link from the 2010/11 season was Aquilani and he also said something about Ngogs form pre season too...a few weeks later they were gone from Anfield.

I remember it, it was during a friendly game in Asia. Id hardly call it the same though. At the end of the day he is just a fan when watching a game, decisions on players that come and go wouldn't be on his agenda, position of manager manager would obviously.

Kinda have to take comments on players with a pinch of salt, well i do anyway. I see Kenny's comments about Maxi/Kuyt staying as, 'you wont buy them for peanuts' statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Today Dalglish is reported as saying Maxi/Kuyt will not be leaving, only Aurelio will as he is out of contract. Admittedly that was in goal.com....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

So it looks like the deal for Hazard to City has stalled so now they turn their interests to Belhanda. :o

So whatever little hope we had is fecked then.:mad:

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Today Dalglish is reported as saying Maxi/Kuyt will not be leaving, only Aurelio will as he is out of contract. Admittedly that was in goal.com....

Owngoal.com !

I'd say Maxi will certainly leave.

Kuyt probably will but he may not. However,if he does I hope it's not until August and he gets to say goodbye in front of the Kop and I hope I'm there to see it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Owngoal.com !

I'd say Maxi will certainly leave.

Kuyt probably will but he may not. However,if he does I hope it's not until August and he gets to say goodbye in front of the Kop and I hope I'm there to see it :)

If Chelsea win the CL we won't be playing Europa that early in Aug.

Leiva wrote: »
    If Chelsea win the CL we won't be playing Europa that early in Aug.

When does the league start? Usuallly around the 15th or so isn't it?

Window is usually open until Sep 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If Swansea play like they played in the second half against United, and we play like we did in the first half against Chelsea (At Anfield, of course) it will be a spicy meatball.

I can see a 2-1 Swansea job, though.

Paul Lambertm, just another flavour of the month manager.

That to me looks like you read flavour of the month somewhere else and it looked cool so you decided to use it.
    He's been doing an excellent job for 3 seasons now with Norwich.
    2 promotions in a row followed by a very solid season in the Premier League on a small budget.
    Playing experience in Europe as a Champions League winner with Borussia Dortmund.
    He's a very well thought of manager but IMHO I think the step up to Liverpool may be a massive one to take at this time.
    It's just something I put out there as I believe the club are looking at options.
    I'd give Kenny another season but I'm not so sure now that FSG are going to give it to him.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Well he did say that at the press conference yesterday. It's been widely reported.

For anyone that doesn't think Kenny will be in charge, put your money where your mouth is ;)

6/4 isn't a tempting price IMO

25/1 about Paul Lambert is though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Yeah Tony Adams very successful. Charlie Adam not too bad. 2 goals and 10 assists isn't an awful return circa player that's been out for a while.
    He is crap without Lucas but its not his fault either that Soearing or Henderson or Gerrard are suited to play beside him in a midfield two.
    He has t been an astounding success but he certainly hasn't been the abject failure either.
    If he had a bad start and finished strongly, like Wigan, I reckon he'd be getting far more praise.
    Funny no one questioned Bellamy though. 6 goals and 3 assists with very similiar minutes played. Has he been that much more successful. Been ineffective lately.
    Being a defensively sound midfielder is not his forte nor does he put in aggressive and committed displays like Spearing but he has provided for others.

I would love to see a compilation of Charlie Adam's 10 assists.

He has been awarded a few for falling over to win free kicks or penalties that were converted which skews the stats imo.

Also, his own goal against Blackburn and the fack up for the City goal in the league game come to mind.

Overall, not good enough to start regularly, and when himself and Spearing start together we rightly look crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Think its a shocking price myself. I can't see him leaving / being moved upstairs this summer. Henry and Co have been pretty positive about him in their comments of late. I'd be almost certain he'll go next summer bar a miracle (its hard to see us finishing top 4 next season without some unusually shrewd transfer activity by ourselves over the next couple of months). 4/1 would be a decent bet, just about.

Think he'll be told the two cup finals have kept him in the job, the league form was totally unacceptable and only top 4 will do to bring the Champions League money in. Over 38 games next season, without some serious additions to the first team (not just squad players) i can't see us finishing ahead of two of City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs.

Therefore, to me anyway, the most likely scenario is him staying in the job and us finishing 5th or 6th next season and then the managerial change occuring. We'd need big money spent this summer, and spent very wisely, to improve on this scenario imo.

Not a prayer.

What about Joe Kinnear, must be his turn.

What about Joe Kinnear, must be his turn.

Roberto Martinez now as short as 5/2 to be the next Liverpool manager.

SORT BY: FAV/NAME

Rafael Benitez
    5/2 5/2 4 5/2 4 5

Roberto Martinez
    3 7 5 4 5/2

Jose Mourinho
    10 10 7 7 6 5

Andre Villas-Boas
    12 11 10 10 10 8

Brendan Rodgers
    11 12 12 12 12 10

Martin ONeill
    12 11 7 10 12 5

Josep Guardiola
    12 14 12

Carlo Ancelotti

Unai Emery

Jamie Carragher
    16 16 14 11 20 10

Jorge Jesus
    16 20 20

Didier Deschamps
    16 25 20 20 25 16

Guus Hiddink
    16 25 22 25 20 20

Lauren Blanc
    20 25 25 20

Louis van Gaal
    25 25 22 25 20

Paul Lambert
    16 25 20 16 20

Bert van Marwijk
    33 33 25 33 25

Fabio Capello
    16 33 25 33

Frank de Boer
    25 33 33

Frank Rijkaard
    25 25 25 25 33 20

Jurgen Klopp
    33 25 33

Marcelo Lippi
    33 25 25 20 33 20

Owen Coyle
    25 33 25 20 33 25

Cesare Prandelli
    33 25 40

Gus Poyet
    25 40 33 33 40 25

Joachim Low
    33 40 33 25

Jurgen Klinsmann
    33 40 25 25

Marco van Basten
    40 33 25 40

Ottmar Hitzfeld
    33 40 33

Ralf Rangwick
    33 33 40

David Moyes
    50 40 33 25 20 40

Manuel Pelligrini
    40 25 50

Markus Babbel
    50 33 40

Martin Jol
    40 33 25 50 25

Ronald Koeman
    50 50 50

Roy Hodgson

Alex McLeish
    50 33 66 66

Claudio Ranieri
    50 40 66

Neil Warnock

Nigel Adkins
    66 50

Steve Bruce
    50 50 66 66

Steven Gerrard
    33 66 33 40

Sven Goran Eriksson
    50 50 40 66 25

Vladimir Smicer
    66 66

Dietmar Hamman

Kevin Keegan
    100 100 50

Paul Cook

Robbie Fowler
    66 66 100

Phil Thompson
    200 100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Alex McLeish is 66/1. :confused: Why have the bookies even giving him a price. He may as well be 66,000,000/1

Jamie Carragher is the value bet. These bookies betting markets on next manager mean absolutely nothing. If it were on betfair I'd pay some attention to the odds being offered.

Jamie Carragher has been 16/1 to be our next manager in everyone of those markets since before Rafa.

Ditto Robbie Fowler.

They could at least pick funny players like Phil Babb and Greg Vignal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What's the story with the press conference on Monday? Is this just pure rumour or confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Think its a shocking price myself. I can't see him leaving / being moved upstairs this summer. Henry and Co have been pretty positive about him in their comments of late. I'd be almost certain he'll go next summer bar a miracle (its hard to see us finishing top 4 next season without some unusually shrewd transfer activity by ourselves over the next couple of months). 4/1 would be a decent bet, just about.

Think he'll be told the two cup finals have kept him in the job, the league form was totally unacceptable and only top 4 will do to bring the Champions League money in. Over 38 games next season, without some serious additions to the first team (not just squad players) i can't see us finishing ahead of two of City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs.

Therefore, to me anyway, the most likely scenario is him staying in the job and us finishing 5th or 6th next season and then the managerial change occuring. We'd need big money spent this summer, and spent very wisely, to improve on this scenario imo.

Unless they are absolutely certain Kenny is the man for the long term, then there will be no major spending spree.

If they have their doubts then it would be madness to bankroll him to oversee squad overhaul, only for a new man to come in the following year who will no doubt want to put his own stamp on the squad.

If Kenny stays, there will be very little money to spend I think.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Alex McLeish is 66/1. :confused: Why have the bookies even giving him a price. He may as well be 66,000,000/1

Free monies is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

What's the story with the press conference on Monday? Is this just pure rumour or confirmed?

I don't know where this info came from.

On a sidenote RAWK seems to have locked any thread in which transfer activity is mentioned. Along with ANY debate on Kennys tenure.

Always baffled by that site, some really sanctamonious, long winded posts and self congratulatory sh*te about who can wear their red tinted glasses the longest.

Its seems they have alot of wannabe writers stamping out ANY negative thoughts in an instant, its mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Slow down on the info overload there

Good manager but not at the level we need yet.

Would like to see him get a job at a mid table team and see how he gets on there first. i.e Villa, Everton, Fulham.

We need a manager that has a reputation across Europe which helps attract players.

It would be too much of a jump to go from Norwich where the expectations are limited to a club like Liverpool where the expectations are as high as almost any other club in the world.

The pressure involved is massive.

Anyway, I'd be satisfied with Dalglish in charge at the beginning of next season.

Roberto Martinez now as short as 5/2 to be the next Liverpool manager.

SORT BY: FAV/NAME

Rafael Benitez
    5/2 5/2 4 5/2 4 5

Roberto Martinez
    3 7 5 4 5/2

Jose Mourinho
    10 10 7 7 6 5

Andre Villas-Boas
    12 11 10 10 10 8

Brendan Rodgers
    11 12 12 12 12 10

Martin ONeill
    12 11 7 10 12 5

Josep Guardiola
    12 14 12

Carlo Ancelotti

Unai Emery

Jamie Carragher
    16 16 14 11 20 10

Jorge Jesus
    16 20 20

Didier Deschamps
    16 25 20 20 25 16

Guus Hiddink
    16 25 22 25 20 20

Lauren Blanc
    20 25 25 20

Louis van Gaal
    25 25 22 25 20

Paul Lambert
    16 25 20 16 20

Bert van Marwijk
    33 33 25 33 25

Fabio Capello
    16 33 25 33

Frank de Boer
    25 33 33

Frank Rijkaard
    25 25 25 25 33 20

Jurgen Klopp
    33 25 33

Marcelo Lippi
    33 25 25 20 33 20

Owen Coyle
    25 33 25 20 33 25

Cesare Prandelli
    33 25 40

Gus Poyet
    25 40 33 33 40 25

Joachim Low
    33 40 33 25

Jurgen Klinsmann
    33 40 25 25

Marco van Basten
    40 33 25 40

Ottmar Hitzfeld
    33 40 33

Ralf Rangwick
    33 33 40

David Moyes
    50 40 33 25 20 40

Manuel Pelligrini
    40 25 50

Markus Babbel
    50 33 40

Martin Jol
    40 33 25 50 25

Ronald Koeman
    50 50 50

Roy Hodgson

Alex McLeish
    50 33 66 66

Claudio Ranieri
    50 40 66

Neil Warnock

Nigel Adkins
    66 50

Steve Bruce
    50 50 66 66

Steven Gerrard
    33 66 33 40

Sven Goran Eriksson
    50 50 40 66 25

Vladimir Smicer
    66 66

Dietmar Hamman

Kevin Keegan
    100 100 50

Paul Cook

Robbie Fowler
    66 66 100

Phil Thompson
    200 100

If a new manager is appointed, how long do we give them to reach the objective of a top 4 finish???

No matter who is in charge at the beginning of next season, they will need more the one season to make their mark on the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

djPSB wrote: »
    If a new manager is appointed, how long do we give them to reach the objective of a top 4 finish???

No matter who is in charge at the beginning of next season, they will need more the one season to make their mark on the club.

That would depend on how the first season goes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    That would depend on how the first season goes.

Alan Pardew for Liverpool so :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Jayob10 wrote: »
    I don't know where this info came from.

On a sidenote RAWK seems to have locked any thread in which transfer activity is mentioned. Along with ANY debate on Kennys tenure.

Always baffled by that site, some really sanctamonious, long winded posts and self congratulatory sh*te about who can wear their red tinted glasses the longest.

Its seems they have alot of wannabe wrtiers stamping out ANY negative thoughts in an instant, its mad

I'd rather be locked in forum where WilliamMunny, BERBA, and TheChessplayer were the only other members than go back to RAWK. Haven't been there in over a year. It's safer for my mental health this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

sorry lads ive had my head in the clouds the last few days am i missing something is kenny getting road or what??

Think so, apparently the one today wasn't supposed to happen either!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Kenny is leaving this summer, I bet it won't be signposted this clearly in advance. He won't go on Monday imo.

djPSB wrote: »

Perhaps you should read my posts again without jumping to conclusions.
    I'm on record that I think Kenny should be given another year.
    I do feel though that FSG will make a change soon. I don't think they should.
    If they do make a change I think they will approach an up and coming manager like Paul Lambert hence why I've had a bet on him at a big price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

if anyone thinks back two years, we all knew Rafa was leaving but I think it was June 2nd when he got the sack. I can't see Dalglish being sacked/leaving on Monday unless it's already been decided already which makes his recent press conferences about summer plans etc seem odd. So basically if Dalglish is leaving I wouldn't expect it in the next few days

• Advertisement

Dotsey wrote: »
    if anyone thinks back two years, we all knew Rafa was leaving but I think it was June 2nd when he got the sack. I can't see Dalglish being sacked/leaving on Monday unless it's already been decided already which makes his recent press conferences about summer plans etc seem odd. So basically if Dalglish is leaving I wouldn't expect it in the next few days

It's a new regime at the club though and FSG do seem to be ruthless so comparing to when Rafa left may not be a good comparison.
    I think this conference on Monday has just led to more speculation but I do personally feel FSG will call time on Kenny's managerial career by asking him to step aside or sacking him.

Perhaps you should read my posts again without jumping to conclusions.
    I'm on record that I think Kenny should be given another year.
    I do feel though that FSG will make a change soon. I don't think they should.
    If they do make a change I think they will approach an up and coming manager like Paul Lambert hence why I've had a bet on him at a big price.
    Paul Lambert although impressive has only had one season in the PL so far, the likes of Paul Jewell, George Burley, Phil Brown etc have all had equally impressive first seasons. Even look at Adkins at Southampton and how he's propelled them up the leagues, is it impressive enough for one of the top jobs in football?

I personally would give Dalglish another season over the likes of Lambert, Dalglish has had success from his first game at Celtic right through his Liverpool career and into management and if anybody thinks he honestly believes this season is acceptable they must be mad. He's just feeding the press positive propaganda but behind the scenes he won't be having a bar of this, throughout his playing and management career he's won 13 league titles so the gloss he's putting on this seasons cup runs I don't believe for a second. Dalglish is a born winner he will demand success.

It's a new regime at the club though and FSG do seem to be ruthless so comparing to when Rafa left may not be a good comparison.
    I think this conference on Monday has just led to more speculation but I do personally feel FSG will call time on Kenny's managerial career by asking him to step aside or sacking him.
    I think he'll move upstairs rather than leave tbh.

and that's post #7000 in this thread for me (:

Dotsey wrote: »
    I think he'll move upstairs rather than leave tbh.

and that's post #7000 in this thread for me (:

no it's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

5starpool wrote: »
    If Kenny is leaving this summer, I bet it won't be signposted this clearly in advance. He won't go on Monday imo.

We'll have a director of football before we have a new manager, surely. Unless we're scrapping the DoF role altogether.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement