Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

5starpool wrote: »
    Tony Barrett:

Not surprising. At the very least, he'll be here another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

spockety wrote: »
    Hodgson's record showed absolutely nothing to suggest that he was the right fit for Liverpool or any team with high level aspirations. He also did little to endear himself to the support, if you remember.

That's kind of the point isn't it. Kenny has done so much to endear himself to the support, enough to earn the undying affection of any LFC fan really, that most fans find it very hard to envisage sacking the man. That wasn't the case with Hodgson, so it was easier to see his failures.

Personally, I'm shocked at how bad this season has been, and how the things which encouraged me last season to think Kenny was the man for the job - the tactical innovation, the flowing football, the motivation - seem to have gone into reverse this season. So often we have looked predictable or directionless, and so many players look like they think they don't need to try. It's not the lack of huge progress so much as the fact that in some respects we seem to be going backwards that is so alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

One more piece of bad news to add - today we lost our record as the highest points total for a 2nd place team!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Shocking stat for the season

Tackles Attempted: Enrique - 69 Lucas - 68 Adam - 62 Skrtel - 57 Hendo - 51 Spearing - 45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

daithijjj wrote: »
    Did you expect the club to buy and sell 12 or 13 players since Kenny took over?. The only thing i blame Kenny for this season is selling Meireles on deadline day and not getting a striker in January.

I named 6 or 7 there that are not his signings and we need rid of, add on what he has sold and you get nearly half a squad. I expect him to make moves on bringing in better players than those mentioned, it cant all be done that quick, needs some patience.

If people think one summer spend changes what we needed changing you are off your head.

Not I didn't. However I never expected us to spend £130m either, we could have easily bought 8 or 9 players for that and gotten rid of the dross if we wanted. For £100m I certainly didn't expect average players like adam, Downing and Carroll and players like Henderson who are still miles off being first team.

No said anything about one summer spending sorting our problems, but I honestly didn't think after one summer we'd be even further away from 4th and behind Everton.

spockety wrote: »
    Not a great response to what I said.

Not sure what else you expected. It seems 3 months of good football is Kennys saving grace 1 poor season. I agree Kenny was excellent those 3 monhs, but the fact he completely went away from that style of football the following season was criminal. Just highlights how poor he is and how he doesn't seem to have much clue as to how he wants to run things. It seems Kennys saving grace his mainly that he wasn't a complete tit in front of the media like roy, hardly a ringing endorsement for Kenny. At the end of the day Roy deserved to go for how he had us performing on the pitch and so does Kenny. Only difference is Kenny performances haven't been to that terrible standard which allowed him the full season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Well thank **** that season is over. Absolute dire second half of season totally eclipsed our fairly good but woefully unlucky at times Aug-Dec. Cup is a bonus and there are signs of improvements in some big signings.

37 points behind the champions aka 04/05. Only positive to take from that is that we improved tenfold the following season. Lets hope for something similar next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Does the S*n still sponsor that Premiership highlights show on RTE ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Not I didn't. However I never expected us to spend £130m either, we could have easily bought 8 or 9 players for that and gotten rid of the dross if we wanted. For £100m I certainly didn't expect average players like adam, Downing and Carroll and players like Henderson who are still miles off being first team.

No said anything about one summer spending sorting our problems, but I honestly didn't think after one summer we'd be even further away from 4th and behind Everton.

Not sure what else you expected. It seems 3 months of good football is Kennys saving grace 1 poor season. I agree Kenny was excellent those 3 monhs, but the fact he completely went away from that style of football the following season was criminal. Just highlights how poor he is and how he doesn't seem to have much clue as to how he wants to run things. It seems Kennys saving grace his mainly that he wasn't a complete tit in front of the media like roy, hardly a ringing endorsement for Kenny. At the end of the day Roy deserved to go for how he had us performing on the pitch and so does Kenny. Only difference is Kenny performances haven't been to that terrible standard which allowed him the full season.

Its not as simple as buying 8 or 9 players. You have to be in a position where the players you might want actually want to join the club. And even if you could manage that, you are still expecting some kind of telepathic connection on the pitch where a whole new team has to gel instantly. Not going to happen.

Some of the players invested heavily, mentally and physically, in cup runs. People are being disingenuous with their opinions on players like Henderson imho, a 21 year old into a new club, under the spotlight, played out of position imo for quite some time during that season and playing over 50+ games. I firmly believe in a couple of years when he is the ripe old age of 23/4 he will be a very good contributor and professional for the club.

I think someone who tries to convey an assertion that patience for KK and Hodgson are one in the same, is also being disingenuous. Its like comparing Hodgson's ineptness at home to Wolves and Kenny's team at home to Arsenal for example. We ended up with the same result, a loss, but the evidence of the game showed progress from the stage we were at 12 months prior.

Just gonna throw this out there. With Villarreal being relegated tonight, and relatively recent news of Rossi's injury relapse. Does anyone think we should possibly look to sign him? I think he'll be back fit again by the end of the summer.

There's also the likes of Borja Valero, de Guzman and Soriano possibly worth looking at. They aren't bad players over just one season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Its not as simple as buying 8 or 9 players. You have to be in a position where the players you might want actually want to join the club.

You also don't want to be in a position where senior players could end up handing in transfer requests. A lot of the talk about potential buys seems to be about adding players to the squad. I suspect a lot of LFC's future transfer activity could be replacing the genuine quality players we have. Quality players that are tired of cup runs and excuses. Agger, Skrtel and Reina are having their loyalties tested. As did Torres, Mascherano and Alonso. Suarez is coveted by other clubs. How long are those four going to deny themselves CL football?

The Americans are firing people in the executive part of the club. That can't be great for creating stable conditions where players feel at ease. Dalglish doesn't seem to have the authority required to rouse them into winning the games they're meant to win. So thats a further obvious change. Liverpool should never be allowed to merely slide into the habit of losing. This is a crisis.

Its not as simple as buying 8 or 9 players. You have to be in a position where the players you might want actually want to join the club. And even if you could manage that, you are still expecting some kind of telepathic connection on the pitch where a whole new team has to gel instantly. Not going to happen.

Some of the players invested heavily, mentally and physically, in cup runs. People are being disingenuous with their opinions on players like Henderson imho, a 21 year old into a new club, under the spotlight, played out of position imo for quite some time during that season and playing over 50+ games. I firmly believe in a couple of years when he is the ripe old age of 23/4 he will be a very good contributor and professional for the club.

I think someone who tries to convey an assertion that patience for KK and Hodgson are one in the same, is also being disingenuous. Its like comparing Hodgson's ineptness at home to Wolves and Kenny's team at home to Arsenal for example. We ended up with the same result, a loss, but the evidence of the game showed progress from the stage we were at 12 months prior.

Look at Newcastle, they bought 3 or 4 very good players and made a huge jump in one season, it's clearly possible. If we can't sign 8 or 9 players, at least sign 3 or 4 good ones. We failed miserable even at that. If the very least you can't improve your squad don't ****ing sell one of you best players on the last day of the tranfer window. There have been very few areas of the team I have been impressed with by Kenny handling.

I agree on Henderson but the fact is Kenny spend £18m on a player who is 3 or 4 years off being decent, why? I mean it's not like we have a squad packed with talent and we can afford to invest that kind of money on a project. As for being played out of position, only one person to blame for that one.

I think someone who implies not wanting Kenny kept on as manager doesn't have patience is pretty ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Kenny was only good for 3 months?

I give up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

The question you have to ask is, could another manager get more from these players we currently have? Yes, I think so. Is Kenny capable of doing so?

This summer, get the signings wrong (again) and we could slip even further down. Its obvious where we need to improve on, do that and I feel like we could do well enough next season. As I've said, I'll gladly wait til January and if we arent comfortable in the league then action should be taken but hopefully we wont miss the opportunity to bring in a top class manager.

K-9 wrote: »
    Kenny was only good for 3 months?

I give up.

Sorry, 5 months.

What manager do you think we should get Chucky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Take what you want from this . ..

We are shįt
    Kenny stays..why?( read nexy line)
    in the past 12 months we have played a form of football that's unrecognisable from WOy so something's working, in another 12 months we could be very very good ... But
    we need to shift more deadwood ..some that is no more than 12 months with the club.

Come Jan 2013 if we are no better off then its revolution time !

I'm drunk !
    But happy ..what a füqcking 3mins by CIty :D

Bromance to you guys .. Eat cake and reign. Signing off .

Hipefully chelsea win now (puking as I tyPe) Arry u tosser

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What manager do you think we should get Chucky?

Not sure, my knowledge of managers on the continent isn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Leiva wrote: »

We are shįt
    in the past 12 months we have played a form of football that's unrecognisable from WOy so something's working, in another 12 months we could be very very good ... But
    we need to shift more deadwood ..some that is no more than 12 months with the club.

I'm drunk !

:pac::pac: He'll regret this in the morning!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

monkey9 wrote: »
    :pac::pac: He'll regret this in the morning!!

I am waiting for the Portugese translation Lucas always put up of his tweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

We are shįt

I'm drunk !

Dylan Moranesque in its brilliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

We are shįt

I'm drunk !

this mdea em luagh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

[edit] jesus, long post.

I feel a great sense of relief at the season being over. I found this year hugely frustrating, disappointing and not at all enjoyable. Discounting off-field troubles, it was as bad as last season and maybe even worse because of the money we spent. Last season we played horrible, ineffective football during the first half of the season, followed by attractive, effective football in the second half. This season, we played disjointed, aimless and ineffective football with no end product for the entire season.

I can see the arguments for both sides of the sack or keep Kenny argument. My own opinion is that if a top class manager is available than we should make a move for him. However, there is no sense in getting rid of Kenny only to get someone half-decent in. Our next coach has be here for the long term. But if I was FSG I would be on the search.

It has been a record breaking season in many ways - all of them bad unfortunately. Kenny's target was to break into the top four, and while noone should be sacked for failing to reach their target, our final position in the table is unacceptable. The amount of goals we have scored is unacceptable and the embarrassing amount of home wins is unacceptable. We have finished below Everton, failed to even mount a top four challenge, and have finished worryingly close to the bottom half of the table.

We have finished on 52 points - a whopping 17 points off 4th, 37 off 1st place and just 16 points off the relegation places. Our final standing is six points and two league places worse than last year's campaign - which was one of the most turbulent seasons in the club's history - which is just not good enough. We have have scored just 47 goals, one less than Blackburn, and one more than Bolton, both of whom have been relegated.

Missing out on a season's targets by that margin is simply not good enough - and pointing to key players being out is not a worthy excuse. We have brought in a fair few v.expensive players, none of whom have made themselves key players. We have spent big in central midfield, yet fall to pieces when a central midfielder is injured? And we struggle to score goals, despite spending a fortune on strikers. So that excuse does not fly with me.

Kenny succeeded in stabilizing the club last year - and did a fantastic job as well - but has truly failed at moving us forward this year. People continually point to our 'good play' but I haven't really seen it. We pass the ball around fairly aimlessly most of the time, with very little penetration and a shocking lack of end product. We have very little character as a team and I don't believe anyone fears playing us.

The biggest problem has been our transfers - something which I have been banging on about since last summer - which have truly stopped the team moving forwards. My fear is that last summer was the owners' big splurge, and they wont do that again. If that is the case - we are in big trouble. There is a real possibility that we won't be in a position to spend £35 million on a single player for many years, and that is a real shame. But for that, we can only wait and see.

We still need a goal scoring striker (Carroll?), we still need a ball playing central midfielder (Adam, Henderson?) and we will need a creative winger (Downing?), so in a sense, we are starting the rebuilding process once more this summer.

Of course, it could be that the blame for the transfers really does land with Comolli - and it would make some sense, although they really don't seem like his 'type' of signings - and Kenny is simply taking ownership for them for the good of team morale. If this is the case, it is commendable on his part. My hope is that Comolli truly is the one to blame, in which case the owners have done the correct thing and we can improve on things this summer. However, even if that is the case - Kenny takes the blame for the lack of progression on the pitch. He failed to solve any of our problems throughout the season. Lack of players in the box and a lack of goals being the two standout issues.

One thing is for sure - it is imperative that we break into the top four next season or our few top players won't want to stick around.

-Ade- wrote: »
    Just gonna throw this out there. With Villarreal being relegated tonight, and relatively recent news of Rossi's injury relapse. Does anyone think we should possibly look to sign him? I think he'll be back fit again by the end of the summer.

There's also the likes of Borja Valero, de Guzman and Soriano possibly worth looking at. They aren't bad players over just one season.

Rossi could be a dodgy move given his injury.

Valero would be a welcome signing if we could get our hands on him. I think he'd compliment Lucas very nicely in the centre of midfield. I imagine he'll stay in Spain though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

rarnes1 wrote: »

You gotta get acquainted with the image tags.:D

[img][/img]

Tusky wrote: »
    We still need a goal scoring striker (Carroll?), we still need a ball playing central midfielder (Adam, Henderson?) and we will need a creative winger (Downing?), so in a sense, we are starting the rebuilding process once more.

Unfortunately this is depressingly true.

All the same positions from last year need filling.

The fact that all the above players I would like to see next season in a more backup/rotation role sums it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

LFC announce ticket price freeze

Liverpool Football Club today announced that it will freeze ticket prices for the 2012-13 season.

Managing director Ian Ayre said: "We have always aimed to ensure that we match our commercial and financial aspirations with the interests of our fans.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/lfc-announce-ticket-price-freeze

Good news for anyone still able to afford to go next season I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

If Kenny is to go then I think Martinez would be a good signing. I really like how he conducts himself. He never seems to panic and his team always attempt to play football. No doubt he can spot could young talent and I think this would appeal to the owners considering the debacle of last summer’s signing. He knows the premier league.
    However I would not mind someone who has big club experience...what is frank Rijkaard at these days?

Kenny is a legend but he looks a little lost on the side line. His tactics are limited at best and I don’t believe he has the energy or the resolve to bring us forward over the next 5 years. He looks like has aged even over the last year.

Hoilett and Jarvis would be good cheap additions to the team.

Pepe
    Johnson Skrtel,Agger Enrique (Coates, Robinson,Kelly)
    Gerard Lucas Henderson Hoilett/Jarvis (Downing,Adam, Sterling)
    Carroll Suarez. (Bellamy)

Carrol would benefit greatly from Gerard whipping in crosses from the right. Gerard could play inside right allowing him to get on the end of carroll knock downs and Johnson would always give him an option overlapping on the right.

We need to park off Kuyt, Maxi, Spearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The people calling for Martinez, did they watch Wigan for the first 7 months or so of the season?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thrill wrote: »
    LFC announce ticket price freeze

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/lfc-announce-ticket-price-freeze

Good news for anyone still able to afford to go next season I suppose.

It'd be very cheeky to raise them after this season.

Sorry, 5 months.

On target for 4th up to Xmas not good enough?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The people calling for Martinez, did they watch Wigan for the first 7 months or so of the season?! :confused:

Indeed, but given a minus budget he has kept them up which the same as our top 4 target. I think it is too early for him but to turn your point around, have you seen them in the last 2 months when it mattered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Look at Newcastle, they bought 3 or 4 very good players and made a huge jump in one season, it's clearly possible. If we can't sign 8 or 9 players, at least sign 3 or 4 good ones. We failed miserable even at that. If the very least you can't improve your squad don't ****ing sell one of you best players on the last day of the tranfer window. There have been very few areas of the team I have been impressed with by Kenny handling.

I agree on Henderson but the fact is Kenny spend £18m on a player who is 3 or 4 years off being decent, why? I mean it's not like we have a squad packed with talent and we can afford to invest that kind of money on a project. As for being played out of position, only one person to blame for that one.

I think someone who implies not wanting Kenny kept on as manager doesn't have patience is pretty ridiculous.

Newcastle have had nothing to play but league football for 4 or 5 months, lets see how that squad takes shape when they have to play 3 times a week most of the year. Keeper in the form of his life this year.

Henderson was bought for the future, thats it, thats where it ends. I disagree he his 3 or 4 years off being decent. Maybe he was played out right because all and sundry kept saying he played there for Sunderland, its finally clicked with people he is no more a winger than Kuyt. We havent had a decent right winger in that long i cant remember the last one and it needs to be addressed.

It isnt ridiculous to want Kenny out now, the trouble is, its people who do that will basically never be happy and you should probably go follow a club where the managerial seat is a merry go round.

Indeed, but given a minus budget he has kept them up which the same as our top 4 target. I think it is too early for him but to turn your point around, have you seen them in the last 2 months when it mattered?

Keeping a club in the PL is not the equivalent, or even nearly the equivalent of breaking into the top 4. It's an excellent achievement from him-no doubt, but to think it would translate over to where we want to be is a hell of a leap of faith.

Simple truth is that for much of the season Wigan were the poorest team in the league.

I like Martinez, he seems a good guy & a talented manager, however getting rid of Kenny to bring in Martinez would be a far far bigger gamble than seeing what Kenny can do in his second season.

If anything Martinez's improvements at Wigan indicate that stability & belief in your manager to improve a teams fortunes are qualities that are sorely missing from today's game & Whelan (who i dislike a great deal) should be applauded for NOT sacking a manager when most other chairmen would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Tusky wrote: »
    [edit] jesus, long post.

I feel a great sense of relief at the season being over. I found this year hugely frustrating, disappointing and not at all enjoyable. Discounting off-field troubles, it was as bad as last season and maybe even worse because of the money we spent. Last season we played horrible, ineffective football during the first half of the season, followed by attractive, effective football in the second half. This season, we played disjointed, aimless and ineffective football with no end product for the entire season.

I can see the arguments for both sides of the sack or keep Kenny argument. My own opinion is that if a top class manager is available than we should make a move for him. However, there is no sense in getting rid of Kenny only to get someone half-decent in. Our next coach has be here for the long term. But if I was FSG I would be on the search.

It has been a record breaking season in many ways - all of them bad unfortunately. Kenny's target was to break into the top four, and while noone should be sacked for failing to reach their target, our final position in the table is unacceptable. The amount of goals we have scored is unacceptable and the embarrassing amount of home wins is unacceptable. We have finished below Everton, failed to even mount a top four challenge, and have finished worryingly close to the bottom half of the table.

We have finished on 52 points - a whopping 17 points off 4th, 37 off 1st place and just 16 points off the relegation places. Our final standing is six points and two league places worse than last year's campaign - which was one of the most turbulent seasons in the club's history - which is just not good enough. We have have scored just 47 goals, one less than Blackburn, and one more than Bolton, both of whom have been relegated.

Missing out on a season's targets by that margin is simply not good enough - and pointing to key players being out is not a worthy excuse. We have brought in a fair few v.expensive players, none of whom have made themselves key players. We have spent big in central midfield, yet fall to pieces when a central midfielder is injured? And we struggle to score goals, despite spending a fortune on strikers. So that excuse does not fly with me.

Kenny succeeded in stabilizing the club last year - and did a fantastic job as well - but has truly failed at moving us forward this year. People continually point to our 'good play' but I haven't really seen it. We pass the ball around fairly aimlessly most of the time, with very little penetration and a shocking lack of end product. We have very little character as a team and I don't believe anyone fears playing us.

The biggest problem has been our transfers - something which I have been banging on about since last summer - which have truly stopped the team moving forwards. My fear is that last summer was the owners' big splurge, and they wont do that again. If that is the case - we are in big trouble. There is a real possibility that we won't be in a position to spend £35 million on a single player for many years, and that is a real shame. But for that, we can only wait and see.

We still need a goal scoring striker (Carroll?), we still need a ball playing central midfielder (Adam, Henderson?) and we will need a creative winger (Downing?), so in a sense, we are starting the rebuilding process once more this summer.

Of course, it could be that the blame for the transfers really does land with Comolli - and it would make some sense, although they really don't seem like his 'type' of signings - and Kenny is simply taking ownership for them for the good of team morale. If this is the case, it is commendable on his part. My hope is that Comolli truly is the one to blame, in which case the owners have done the correct thing and we can improve on things this summer. One thing is for sure - it is imperative that we break into the top four next season or our few top players won't want to stick around.

This. There should not be change just for the sake of change.

We need to make an appointment that will be long term, and give a top class appointment a clear project to work on and the funds to achieve such.

I do wonder if we can still attract such top candidates.

Martinez, Rodgers, Lambert etc.. are not top candidates. All have the makings of good managers yes, but I wonder if the upper echelons of managers- Mourinho, Kloppe, Guardiola etc..would be interested.

Theres still alot of uncertainty surrounding the owners I think. We still have no idea really the extent to which they want to make us a force. I worry if they are trying to be too clever. Football is a money game, and for Liverpool to be a contender in the near future we need to spend alot of money and get it right also. There are 2 conditions there, not just spending money.

Last summer people baulked at criticism of the sums spent. "this is just the start of the spending" and "who cares how much they cost, the player himself is not responsible for his price tag", were the phrases that were spun.

Alot of people said this could be our only chance to spend as much money as we did and we needed to make it count. the rest claimed that this was only phase one in the signing of players.

Personally, I think the owners saw last summer as the time when all major business was done. And that minor additions would be needed after that.

In reality, Kenny's signings last summer all need to be improved upon only one year later. And this will not go unnoticed. My guess is that Kenny will convince them that its down to bad luck, and this is the worry.

I cannot for the life of me see anything past top 6 with this current crop of players going full pelt.

We need a goal scorer to play week in week out (taking the season as a whole Carroll is not the man to depend on for goals, he is an option to have upfront however)

We need cover for Lucas.

We need a robust ball player/playmaker who can play alongside Lucas.

And we need a goal scoring wideman. A goal threat from wide that we have not had in years despite spending a hell of alot of money.

Will our owners be willing to put their money into their pocket and spend hard cash on these players?

They won't let Kenny spend it, but do you think they will back a new manager to spend a similar amount to last season?

This is the critical question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

taste! if only....

today i noticed a strange sense of relief at the thought of only 3 champions league spots being up for grabs. Then realised that we are so astronomically off the pace that my own expectations from LFC have dropped dramatically.

Our season now has more silverware than United, and even though our league position is chronic, we are back in europe, albeit europa league.

Strangely decent for a transition year. However I genuinely hope that the gap hasn't grown to much.

It would be massive if Chelsea win the champions league. Suddenly spurs are out of europe - money and big name signings gone

newcastle's development, as impressed as i was, should not be much more than ours next year.

Hindsight dictates that while is was frustrating, this season actually could have been A LOT worse.

Keeping a club in the PL is not the equivalent, or even nearly the equivalent of breaking into the top 4. It's an excellent achievement from him-no doubt, but to think it would translate over to where we want to be is a hell of a leap of faith.

Simple truth is that for much of the season Wigan were the poorest team in the league.

I like Martinez, he seems a good guy & a talented manager, however getting rid of Kenny to bring in Martinez would be a far far bigger gamble than seeing what Kenny can do in his second season.

If people think that the owners are for one sce considering Martinez then they are very wrong.

We have some serious people at the helm and I'm expecting people's eyes to be opened this summer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

35jsr0.jpg

Sums up the season I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

i get the feeling we wont be waiting very long to see transfers start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

If people think that the owners are for one sce considering Martinez then they are very wrong.

We have some serious people at the helm and I'm expecting people's eyes to be opened this summer .

We don't know this though. Who advises them on football matters?

The world class managers are going to want serious funds to work with, and are the owners going to invest? we don't know the answers to these questions

Part of me thinks they saw last summer as being serious outlay = the bones of a title winning side, with only minor additions needed after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Dotsey wrote: »
    What point was that Kess?

I am refusing to acknowledge the actual result, as I don't want to end the season on a loss.:)

On target for 4th up to Xmas not good enough?

Nope. Like I said earlier, I can judge Kenny on more than the league table.

Newcastle have had nothing to play but league football for 4 or 5 months, lets see how that squad takes shape when they have to play 3 times a week most of the year. Keeper in the form of his life this year.

Henderson was bought for the future, thats it, thats where it ends. I disagree he his 3 or 4 years off being decent. Maybe he was played out right because all and sundry kept saying he played there for Sunderland, its finally clicked with people he is no more a winger than Kuyt. We havent had a decent right winger in that long i cant remember the last one and it needs to be addressed.

It isnt ridiculous to want Kenny out now, the trouble is, its people who do that will basically never be happy and you should probably go follow a club where the managerial seat is a merry go round.

Maybe they won't have to because Pardew won't be foolish enough to try and play his best team in all 3 competitions while having a very limited squad.

So Kenny played Henderson on the right because every else said he played there for Sunderland? Lol, he should be sacked tomorrow if that's his line of thinking.

Of course we will be happy, just when we have a decent manager in charge. I didn't want Rafa sacked when he finished 7th.

You think Martinez keeping Wigan in the premiership is nowhere near the same as Kenny delivering Liverpool 4th? Seriously?

You think Martinez keeping Wigan in the premiership is nowhere near the same as Kenny delivering Liverpool 4th? Seriously?

Yea. Wigan are in the PL nearly 10 years at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Have you watched Liverpool for the last 5?

Martinez has done a wonderful job at Wigan, and not just this season. I'm not saying getting him in is the right thing to do, but there's enough to suggest he'd do well at a bigger club. Aside from laying the foundation for Brendan Rodgers at Swansea, he's done brilliantly keeping Wigan up for the last few years, has them playing excellent football, has seen them beating a lot of 'better' teams this season and all with a relative pittance of a budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

wonder will we get Junior Hoilett
    i'm sure there will be alot of clubs in for him though

Here is one SSN doesn't have ...

Rafa back to Liverpool .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have to say that I have no love for the idea of Martinez in the hotseat. Wasn't in the 08/09 season he came out defending Rafa and said to the Spanish media that certain managers had a bit of a clique going, and then when he was called on it in England his balls shrank.

Might be a silly reason, but it really put me off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Kess73 wrote: »
    Have to say that I have no love for the idea of Martinez in the hotseat. Wasn't in the 08/09 season he came out defending Rafa and said to the Spanish media that certain managers had a bit of a clique going, and then when he was called on it in England his balls shrank.

Might be a silly reason, but it really put me off him.

Remember that well, was disappointed , think Whelan instructed him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement