Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

What's the craic with the away jersey and the 3rd kit? Any date announced for them to be released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/05/12/liverpool-to-offer-man-united-forward-dimitar-berbatov-premier-league-lifeline/

Ok so it's Caughtoffside, so just pure speculation, but it could be an interesting move. If we could get him on the right wages, I'd be tempted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

You are bang on the money. Yes, the team has underperformed, but the glimpses of form we have shown lately make it pretty clear that we are starting to click and that we are going in the right direction. From what I can see, we are really only 1 key player away from making a title challenge.

GK - Reina - easily one of the best in the league.
    LB - Enrique - his form has dipped, but he has shown enough to demonstrate he is one of the best in the league at left back.
    CB - Agger/Skrtel - when Agger is fit and has games, he is one of the best in the league. Skrtel has the odd error, but he has been immense this season. Both top 4 players easily.
    RB - Johnson - top 4 definitely and certainly very close to the level of Sagna, who is the best in the league.
    CM - Lucas - best defensive midfielder in the league, bloody key player.
    CM - Gerrard - any team in the league would have him, world class.
    CM - Henderson/Shelvey - between these two lads for the position. Henderson has been improving gradually and showing real class while Shelvey seems to have more explosiveness. One of these will definitely become a key player.
    LW - Suarez - if not for suspension and our poor form, Suarez would have over 20 goals, vital player.
    FF - Carroll - really started to link up well with Suarez in a Drogba battering ram role. I feel he will really deliver next season.
    RW - Downing(?) - Bellamy and Maxi are too old, Downing has disappointed that is why there are question marks around him. If we could get the likes of a Jesus Navas or a Kagawa, we would really complete the team.

Really, either Downing steps it up, or we bring in a proven winger like Navas or Kagawa. The only other position that needs strengthening is central midfield. Gerrard and Lucas pick themselves, so surely one from Shelvey/Henderson/Adam/Spearing/Aquilani can play their way into the team?

troll? 27 points off bottom , 37 points off top, 17 points off 4th.... unless that 1 key player is Lionel Messi or God then you should lay off the pills!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

troll? 27 points off bottom , 37 points off top, 17 points off 4th.... unless that 1 key player is Lionel Messi or God then you should lay off the pills!!

I think were four players off challenging top four. A striker, Left back, Right winger and Midfielder. Can't see us getting the funds for such players this window to improve the squad.

also without hammering home the point.....Lucas is not the best DM in the league. He's a class player but YaYa Toure is by far and away the best in the league and it's not even close. The guy is an absolute beast. Fully fit Lucas though is in a tight run call for 2nd best, streets ahead of Carrick etc but Parker and Tiote and class acts themselves.

I think were four players off challenging top four. A striker, Left back, Right winger and Midfielder. Can't see us getting the funds for such players this window to improve the squad.

that's about right i reckon, but for anybody to say 1 player away from a title challenge smells of Trolling!!! Personally i think with the right changes in the summer , Liverpool could definitely be far closer to the business end of things next year. A lot will depend on Bayern Munich. If Bayern beat Chelsea, then Spurs will have a lot more funds to splash out in the summer. Arsenal will spend big this year for once, City will add, United will add. If chelsea beat bayern i cant see Spurs going overboard so that battle for 3rd-to-6th will be a little more reachable. Big Andy may yet come good i feel, but can't really see Henderson/Shelvey/Spearing proving themselves at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

fml, had a few posts quoted and laptop crashed.

Someone suggested holding to Kenny and dumping him Jan if things don't pick up. There will be very few if any decent managers available in January, they will be signed up this summer.
    amiable wrote: »
    It was definitely Ged On the pitch at the Etihad. He was standing behind Yaya Toure as he was being interviewed

Yea, he has a habit of crashing parties it seems. Like after the Champions League final in 2005 when he made a beeline for the dressing room and wouldn't leave.

BTW, what a class overhead kick from me earlier? Pure class, pity it didn't go in, goal of the season.

Also, only watched the brief highlights but thought Doni made some good saves. He just needs some more game time to build his confidence.
    Also, I don't like the way they pronounce his name wrong, it obviously should be pronounced DONNY as in STFU DONNY, not Do-nee.

Top lad.

Perhaps for the summer months which will be filled full of crazy speculation, someone could take the time to post a summation, a cliff notes post once or twice per day, we could take it in turns.

I'm going to suggest 12pm and 6pm. :cool:

I'll will keep my ear to the ground for any ITK knowledge that is circling.

• Advertisement

oh yeah.

Apart from our dreadful league form, apart from his terrible interviews and attitude and apart from that it seems Kenny is unable to motivate the players for the last 6 months. Apart from my belief that he isn't getting the best out of the players like others could...

It is my view that he has largely ignored his brief.
    The brief/objective was to get in the top 4.
    I think he has ignored it based on the teams he picked for the cups - even in the early matches.

Next year I would like to see us generally play two different sides, a first team side in the league and a second string in the cups with minimal crossover game to game.

League side players to include the like of Doni, Ricky, Srtagger, GlenJo, Lucas, Gerrard (if we can find a way to get the best out of him and not to the detriment of the side, Suarez, Carroll and possibly Henderson if he can improve/we don't sign someone to play alongside Lucas though I hope we will. And hopefully adding a couple of quality additions and jigging it in terms of formation as Rafa sees fit. :cool::P

Second string side to include Reina, Carragher (if kept) Coates (I hope his development won't suffer playing alongside a player of Carragher's style), Flanagan, Kelly, Spearing, Adam, Sterling, a couple of the other youngsters, Downing if not sold, the other fringe players if not sold/moved on.

Looking at the club website it lists Kelly as a 'central defender', I think we ought to make our mind up. Perhaps he and Coates could build a partnership.

Is GlenJo better at right back or left back?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Really wished people would stop talking about Pellegrini. Unless people have their head in the sane, Malaga have qualified for the Champions League. Unless their owners are loco, he'll be there next season 100%.

Talking to a well known Marseille writer and fan, Deschamps is frustrating a lot of their support.
    also without hammering home the point.....Lucas is not the best DM in the league. He's a class player but YaYa Toure is by far and away the best in the league and it's not even close. The guy is an absolute beast. Fully fit Lucas though is in a tight run call for 2nd best, streets ahead of Carrick etc but Parker and Tiote and class acts themselves.

Yaya is a CM, he can play multiple positions (Newcastle he went from DM to AM and that tactical switch from Mancini won them the game) but CM is the best way to describe him.

Lucas is a DM, and one I honestly wouldn't swap for anyone else in that position at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Yea, Rafa is the only manager we have a chance at getting who I would have confidence in. He definitely won't be back. I say we stick with Kenny and end speculation as it's so destructive to this team.

cant believe a liverpool fan would seriously want rafa back...unbelievable..!

end the speculation early i agree with. come out and say kenny is either staying or going as early as possible.

hope he goes myself.

koppy wrote: »

Why?

Lads, I can't solve all the woes of this club without some help, wake the fuck up.

Only joking, of course I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

"Lets keep Kenny on because *shrug of the shoulders* who else can we get?"

I sincerely hope our owners have more vision and ambition than the fanbase.

Another one that pisses me off

"We're only 4 good signings away from the champions league spots"

How many other teams could say the same? plenty. Now fck off.

This club is stuck in the poxy doldrums and we're going nowhere fast unless some big changes are made.

So to sum it all up, this season can go and **** itself. I've never been so embarrased to be a Liverpool fan than i have this season for various reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Morzadec wrote: »
    One more piece of bad news to add - today we lost our record as the highest points total for a 2nd place team!

Bad news?? I hated that record, glad to see the back of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We've been saying this for years. Its depressing at this stage.

"Lets keep Kenny on because *shrug of the shoulders* who else can we get?"

I sincerely hope our owners have more vision and ambition than the fanbase.

Another one that pisses me off

"We're only 4 good signings away from the champions league spots"

How many other teams could say the same? plenty. Now fck off.

This club is stuck in the poxy doldrums and we're going nowhere fast unless some big changes are made.

So to sum it all up, this season can go and **** itself. I've never been so embarrased to be a Liverpool fan than i have this season for various reasons.

You for real. Two cup Finals and Qualifying for Europe, League finish was poor and It's not what Pool fans want. But embarased, come on.

Knex. wrote: »
    We've been saying this for years. Its depressing at this stage.

Year's! How many exactly? Its not that long since playing in the champions league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

The only man I would rather see than Kenny as manager next season is Rafa. Martinez or Lambert nowhere near, maybe if Martinez can go a full season doing as well as he has in the last few weeks he could have a chance. I certainly don't want a managerial change unless those in charge are 110% sure they have the right man lest we be compared to Abramovich and his henchmen in London

If Martinez does as well as he has for the past couple of months with Wigan for a whole season he will have a Premiership title to celebrate with Wigan and will be embarking on Wigan's first ever champion's league season and won't have any ambition to leave there anytime soon after that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

You for real. Two cup Finals and Qualifying for Europe, League finish was poor and It's not what Pool fans want. But embarased, come on.

Week after week we've been beaten by relegation fodder in anfield. Embarrasment is right, that's not even mentioning how the Suarez case was handled.

Some people's standards are slipping and it's not a case of "being realistic" as they'd like to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

koppy wrote: »

end the speculation early i agree with. come out and say kenny is either staying or going as early as possible.

hope he goes myself.

Would you ever just f**k off.

Terrible attitude, all negative and no respect for 2 of our best managers, certainly the best 2 of the last 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The people calling for Martinez, did they watch Wigan for the first 7 months or so of the season?! :confused:

It's all about results his job was to keep Wigan in the premiership which he did doesn't matter how it's achieved
    For me after 100 million spend kennys job was to get Liverpool back in the champions league which was an epic fail.
    I doubt kenny even has the heart for another year he looks seriously stressed lately and hasn't really handled himself too cleverly while all season long Martinez has been in a relegation dog fight yet time and time again conducts himself impeccably and come across very articulate.
    I feel he is the perfect choice(with the exception of rafa )and would bring a freshness to the club which is badly needed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

G.K. wrote: »
    K-9 wrote: »
    I'd rate Rodgers higher than Lambert tbh. Rodgers has done an exceptionable job in seeing a project through, with little funds, totally different from Lambert and managers who've done what he done before.

Tbh, it'll take a couple of seasons to see which opinion is right as that is all it is based on atm, opinions. I think Swansea are better placed.

Lambert's seen more of a project through than Lambert has, considering he got them sucessive promotions.

Also what do you mean by the part I emboldened?
    amiable wrote: »
    Rodgers has a big blip on his CV from Reading.
    I think Lambert got sacked by Wycombe too.

He resigned, I should know as I'm a Wycombe native and resident.
    Why did he resign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

If Kenny goes then he can have no complaints. But I would only want Kenny gone if they have an alternative lined up already. There's absolutely no point in replacing Kenny (Who based on this season has been medoicre) with someone who aims to be medoicre or above average. Thats what happened when Roy was appointed. We need to appoint someone who aims for top or top 4. So in summary only replace Kenny is you can get a coach who aim matches where you want to be. No point replacing Kenny with Martinez, Lambert or Rodgers who arent quite there yet. They are all very good managers but have no experience of the glare of LFC or any team with top 4 asperations. I'd like Rafa back but dont think it would happen and there arent that many coaches that are a) available and b) would want to come. Rant over. I just hope whatever happens is sorted quickly, as in this week and we can get players in early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Just a small point but Martinez's remarkable turnaround of Wigan's fortunes in keeping Wigan up this year kinda remind me of hodgson's job of keeping Fulhum up a few years back!!

Hmmm.....

Assuming the only reason Martinez is a great manager is because he kept Wigan up this year isn't doing him justice. He's kept them up for three seasons now against all odds, playing good football and making very shrewd signings. Look what he did at Swansea too. There's a reason Celtic and Villa were after him.

I'm not saying sacking Kenny and bringing in Martinez is my ideal choice, far from it. Nor do I think it's likely. But we could do worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

All this talk of Martinez, surely if we do replace Kenny it should be with a manager with a track record of winning trophies, challenging for leagues and with CL experience not one who's done well fighting relegation?

Don't like these flavour of the month appointments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

murpho999 wrote: »
    All this talk of Martinez, surely if we do replace Kenny it should be with a manager with a track record of winning trophies, challenging for leagues and with CL experience not one who's done well fighting relegation?

Don't like these flavour of the month appointments.

Pep Guardiola anyone? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

For me I think we should stick with Kenny unless Rafa is available.

If we can get in Rafa I think it's an opportunity we shouldn't pass up. He won't be unemployed forever.

The likes of Klopp etc.. I'll admit I don't know a lot about.

The likes of Martinez, Lambert etc...are too risky imo. A massive leap up for both managers and it all go the way of Woy again.

Rafa should never have been fired, and I think he would be a great longterm option, the energy, commitment and knowledge he would bring.

BUt if not then I'm happy to see Kenny stay, let the players build on last season, and see if we have a bit more luck. I'm convinced that for one thing that our end of season would not have been half as bad had we beaten Arsenal in Anfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Oh me fúcking head :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Assuming the only reason Martinez is a great manager is because he kept Wigan up this year isn't doing him justice. He's kept them up for three seasons now against all odds, playing good football and making very shrewd signings. Look what he did at Swansea too. There's a reason Celtic and Villa were after him.

I'm not saying sacking Kenny and bringing in Martinez is my ideal choice, far from it. Nor do I think it's likely. But we could do worse.

Yea and Woy also got Fulhum to the europa cup final as well, he seemed to have a lot going for him yet turned out to be disastrous!!

Have to say Martinez does look promising but there is no way I would want him as our manager yet, he still has a lot more to prove.
    And if we are going to sack kenny then we are going to have to make sure we replace him with someone proven. We are better off sticking with Kenny for the moment imo!

What is Ben Smith from the BBC doing at Anfield this morning??
    Ben Smith ‏ @BenSmithBBC The big games weren't yesterday, just about to run down this tunnel for the one you've all be waiting for ... http://pic.twitter.com/BnPdfglN
    As19SqdCAAABfri.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Here's something none of us will want to hear...

Liverpool's win percentage of 36.84% is the lowest in the league since the 1953-54 season.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

Leiva wrote: »
    What is Ben Smith from the BBC doing at Anfield this morning??

As19SqdCAAABfri.jpg

think i saw someting from him on twitter about a five a side tourney for the hillsborough justice campaign. might be that. although this is a guess really, so i may be very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm happy with Kenny of Rafa. Actually I'm just more scared about people getting little boners for Lambert and Martinez.

We play good Football under Kenny, but there's a lot missing. Tactics for a start. Rafa had those, but was bad a man managing, sometimes. Kenny's good at that.

Can we melt both down and make a new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm happy with Kenny of Rafa. Actually I'm just more scared about people getting little boners for Lambert and Martinez.

We play good Football under Kenny, but there's a lot missing. Tactics for a start. Rafa had those, but was bad a man managing, sometimes. Kenny's good at that.

Can we melt both down and make a new one?

huh? What's this based on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So, If Kenny does leave.... what are our options?

Rafa..... would he really escalate us back to the top 4?

Vicxas wrote: »
    So, If Kenny does leave.... what are our options?

Rafa..... would he really escalate us back to the top 4?

Yep and further .

all statements are manufactured purely from my own opinion

• Advertisement

I just hope the managerial situation is clarified either way asap tbh.

Sick of hearing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

rarnes1 wrote: »

That's the sound of a nail being hit on the head right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

God I don't know if my blood pressure could take Rafa being back at the club.

If we're not in the top 4 at Christmas, retards will call for his head.

If we are in the top 4, retards will call for his head for not having us top of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

rarnes1 wrote: »

yup, never a truer word spoken.

it's only on everyone involved as well, and i'm actually quite confident the owners will make an announcement soon enough - as soon as they've met with Kenny; which will, i assume, probably be this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mr Alan wrote: »
    God I don't know if my blood pressure could take Rafa being back at the club.

If we're not in the top 4 at Christmas, retards will call for his head.

If we are in the top 4, retards will call for his head for not having us top of the league.

The good news is Rafa won't be back so your blood pressure will be just fine.

FSG do need to make their position on Kenny known pretty quickly I agree. He better be able to give one hell of a power point presentation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Anyone going to the Liverpool XI v Limerick FC match tonight? wonder what players came over for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭campo

ollie1 wrote: »
    Anyone going to the Liverpool XI v Limerick FC match tonight? wonder what players came over for it.

I be there going by their twitter timeline Adam Morgan and Ryan Mcloughlin will be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Thought I might post this here to cheer people up :eek::eek:

She makes Linda look like SuBo!

imagefromurl?size=medium&url=http%3A%2F%2Flockerz.com%2Fs%2F208910001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dirky says no to Feyenoord (wages an issue)

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/570480800?-19388

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

jethro081 wrote: »
    think i saw someting from him on twitter about a five a side tourney for the hillsborough justice campaign. might be that. although this is a guess really, so i may be very wrong.

The HJC cup was played at Anfield on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

flanzer wrote: »
    Thought I might post this here to cheer people up :eek::eek:

She makes Linda look like SuBo!

imagefromurl?size=medium&url=http%3A%2F%2Flockerz.com%2Fs%2F208910001

Who? What? Why? :confused:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement