Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

doc_17 wrote: »
    Kenny and Rafa....I'd find it hard to decide. Kenny deserves more time but Rafa was a hero at the club and ewe went so far backwards after he left. If the owners are getting rid of Kenny then I'd take Rafa back in a heart beat

I remember watching a short film on Rafa at Liverpool. He used to spend hours watching videos of the team and other teams, after match day and after training, thus developing new tactics and new approaches. I remember thinking at the time, 'God, this guy really takes his jobs seriously'.

Towards the end of his tenure though, I feel he got bogged down in tactics and lost touch with the man management side. I remember them playing dross in the last few games. Then there was the Fergie incident and losing the mind games and ultimately, the sword fell.

I'm still in 2 minds as to whether I'd like him back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Kess73 wrote: »
    Looks different to other pics of him. Would not read much into it if it is him though.

Yeah I did a quick google and that person looks much older. Huang is heavily involved in baseball in China so it's not really that strange to see him at a baseball game even it does turn out to be him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭campo

Dr Galen wrote: »
    Yeah I did a quick google and that person looks much older. Huang is heavily involved in baseball in China so it's not really that strange to see him at a baseball game even it does turn out to be him.

Also in the middle of John Henry and Kenny Huang I believe is Barrack Obama....Mmmmm interesting

( Im pretty sure that is not Kenny Huang )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Paul Tomkins ‏ @paul_tomkins
    So *if* Kenny goes, given that I had no inkling that FSG were unhappy with him, it's likely (to me) that he goes of his own accord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Hard to believe Kenny would have walked after all the fighting talk he has done even as recent as a few days back. Unless of course FSG said no money would be made available or something similar to make him walk.

Opr

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Paul Tomkins ‏ @paul_tomkins

I could only imagine Kenny going of his own accord if he himself was convinced that the club had or could line up someone better than him.

"Who have you got? Martinez? F*** that, I'll stay".

"Who have you got? Rafa? Really, he said he'd consider it? Hmm, alright it might be for the best".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Im in a long distance relationship...the first time we parted company, i spend our last hours watching lfc sign carroll.....

tonight she's flying in...this rumours better be sorted by then, or else im going to work myself into a whole world of bother by checking the news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's not Huang

kenny-huang_1689772c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If he just walked then maybe they did get Andy Burton to do the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

He's probably not gone but this'll get dragged out for 3 days going by previous form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

If he goes it'll be because he's been sacked - due to disgraceful performance in the league this season. Hardly rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You work in the Liverpool Press office. A call comes through from Talksport asking if Kenny Dalglish is still the manager. You don't know. You put the guy on hold and ask your team lead / manager whether anything has happened. He hasn't heard anything, but says you should probably respond with no comment while he goes up the ladder for info. Hence "Anfield are refusing to comment".

lol, that's not how a press office works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

opr wrote: »
    Hard to believe Kenny would have walked after all the fighting talk he has done even as recent as a few days back. Unless of course FSG said no money would be made available or something similar to make him walk.

Opr

I dunno, this might sound silly but could he be suffering from a Guardiola type situation. That its all too much for him at this point?
    spockety wrote: »
    I could only imagine Kenny going of his own accord if he himself was convinced that the club had or could line up someone better than him.

"Who have you got? Martinez? F*** that, I'll stay".

"Who have you got? Rafa? Really, he said he'd consider it? Hmm, alright it might be for the best".

That's an interesting point. IIRC when Kenny heard that Hodgson was number one choice, he apparently felt that he could do a better job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Someone at the club just make a ****ing comment, please!

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

I know it's the Mirror but......

Liverpool latest: Dalglish enters showdown talks with Henry as sack rumours swirl

Liverpool's uncertain managerial situation expected to become clear by 4pm
    Kenny Dalglish is currently meeting Liverpool owner John W Henry, with the Anfield club's managerial situation expected to be cleared up today.

The Scot and his assistant Steve Clarke flew to Boston, home of Henry's Fenway Sports Group, yesterday and held talks with FSG officials - but did not meet the multi-millionaire or his business partner Tom Werner.

The Bostonians have been linked with an approach for Wigan's Roberto Martinez and there is an increasing feeling among Liverpool sources that Dalglish could be asked to step down or move back upstairs to accommodate a new manager.

Rumours to that effect were swirling on Twitter this morning and official word from the club is expected after the meeting breaks up, thought to be at around 4pm today.

Henry and Werner were expected on Meyseyside later this week to review the Reds' season and plan the way ahead but Dalglish decided to fly to America to hasten the process.

Despite winning the Carling Cup, Henry and Werner are disappointed by Liverpool's failure to get close to a Champions League place.

This was their target at the start of the season and they are unhappy with eighth place after spending over £110million on new players.

The vast majority of fans want Dalglish to be given another season, but Henry and Werner have already shown they are prepared to wield the axe after dispensing with director of football Damien Comolli.

They will not let sentiment cloud their judgement and will do what they feel is in the best interests of Liverpool.

Martinez has been strongly linked with a move to Anfield but a return for Rafa Benitez appears unlikely, with some at the club critical of the high wages he offered to players now seen as surplus to requirements.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/kenny-dalglish-sacked-rumours-liverpool-833821

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if Kenny is gone, i'd be wary of Martinez. very, very wary.

if that's what we're looking at then just keep Kenny, unless he's taken the decision himself, in which case...I can only thank him for giving it a go, and fair fúcks for knowing yourself when the right time to go is.

if Martinez is the calibre we're then looking at, then i'd prefer Lambert, although it'd be a big step up for him. there's just something a bit special about him IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

PFL wrote: »

Meyseyside :D

Has to be true, only a real scouser would spell Merseyside like they say it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

SlickRic wrote: »
    if Kenny is gone, i'd be wary of Martinez. very, very wary.

It reminds me of the Hodgson appointment after Benitez left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

PFL wrote: »
    I know it's the Mirror but......

Liverpool latest: Dalglish enters showdown talks with Henry as sack rumours swirl

Liverpool's uncertain managerial situation expected to become clear by 4pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/kenny-dalglish-sacked-rumours-liverpool-833821

Hmmm so one report has Kenny in Heathrow this morning after arriving back from the US, and now the Mirror is claiming he is still in the US and has a meeting that ends at 16:00 UK time.

I always like it when there are two rumours that contradict the other in some significant manner, as one has to get shown up when the facts come out. Am hoping that the tabloid gets shown up as the BS merchant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I don't think Martinez is the right option, I dont fancy playing good football in April/May every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

No way is Martinez experienced enough, no way no way

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

:D We can dream.....

As71pHnCQAADPqv.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

if we appoint someone unproven like Martinez i will bloody cry, rafa or someone close to his pedigree please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Were Liverpool fc and if we are to get a new manager it has to be world class. I'm a fan of Martinez but he is vastly under experianced for the task at hand

I think it's a smart move. Martinez has always impressed me. As I say, can only be a huge improvment on Dalglish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Looks like the rumour mill is running wild. The only thing that would make me think there may be truth in it (apart from the league performnce) is if they have thir eye on someone and feel like Villa might get to them before they had initially planned to move themselves.

I'm thinking Lambert more than anyone really. Think he's top class and will, at some point, do a very good job at a top club. Liverpool, as they are now, might just suit him - the old guard of Gerrard and Carragher etc at the backend of their careers, a fair bit of money behind the club to build the two as he'd like.

Interesting to how it all pans out. Could very easily just be newspaper/twitter bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ardent wrote: »
    I think it's a smart move. Martinez has always impressed me.

in what ways?

he has never, ever managed a club with any expectations higher than surviving in the Premier League.

his philosophy on football is admirable, but he needs to do more IMO, to get this job. it would be nothing short of a huge risk.

he can come as Rafa's assistant ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

some people on this forum are nothing short of a disgrace,choosing a new manager while kenny is still hear its disgusting:mad:

I wouldn't mind Martinez - what he's done at Wigan considering budget constraints and the loss of key players is quite good.

Now I know he's not world class, not proven, but he's young and given better players, could implement the right brand of football like he did at Swansea and has done so in spells with Wigan.

Now, don't take it that I'm saying we should hire him but he's a far better manager than Hodgson imo and while he's not at the standard we should be aiming for - I do think he has potential as a manager.

Maybe Liverpool could be the stage for him to shine on. Stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Either way, I hope they don't sack him. Even if they do, let him step down of his own accord. Give the man some respect, it's the least he deserves.

• Advertisement

I think it's a smart move. Martinez has always impressed me. As I say, can only be a huge improvment on Dalglish.

What exactly has martinez done to show he would be a huge improvement on Dalglish?

or is this another one of your retarded unfounded opinions like the one you hold regarding lucas

shamrock55 wrote: »
    some people on this forum are nothing short of a disgrace,choosing a new manager while kenny is still hear its disgusting:mad:

If only we all had your moral compass. The world would be a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

redzerdrog wrote: »
    What exactly has martinez done to show he would be a huge improvement on Dalglish?

or is this another one of your retarded unfounded opinions like the one you hold regarding lucas

And his views on Kuyt, well wide of the mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The problem with Martinez is I don't think he has the charisma for a big job yet. I'd have zero faith in him stamping his authority and being able to control Carragher/Gerrard.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Either way, I hope they don't sack him. Even if they do, let him step down of his own accord. Give the man some respect, it's the least he deserves.

Agreed. I hope he hasn't been let go and it's of his own accord IF he is gone that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

shamrock55 wrote: »

lol, I'm sure Kenny will be shaking his head in disgust, full of moral outrage while reading the Liverpool thread on boards.ie in an internet Cafe in Boston.

And his views on Kuyt, well wide of the mark

Rafa aswell i seem to remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Martinez gets the job then, in the space of two years, we'll have gone from Rafa Benitez (he of La Liga / Champions League / UEFA Cup winning pedigree) to Roberto Martinez (he of a promotion from League One / Relagation avoiding pedigree).

Everyone should ****ing think long and hard about that one for a moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

We could well need another new lfc talk/rumours/gossip thread by the end of the day the way things are going.
    ****storm incoming...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

The problem with Martinez is I don't think he has the charisma for a big job yet. I'd have zero faith in him stamping his authority and being able to control Carragher/Gerrard.

This

He will probably hero worship them and want to build the team around them

We need a big personality with clear ideas of how to improve us

• Advertisement

Don't cry lads, didn't mean to hurt yer sensibilities. Wake up and smell the coffee - the club needs to move forward. Looking forward to FSG showing the steel to do what needs to be done, no room for sentimentality/misguided tolerance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If Martinez gets the job then, in the space of two years, we'll have gone from Rafa Benitez (he of La Liga / Champions League / UEFA Cup winning pedigree) to Roberto Martinez (he of a promotion from League One / Relagation avoiding pedigree).

Everyone should ****ing think long and hard about that one for a moment.

While I agree with you to an extent, there is nothing wrong with taking a view on a manager's potential.

Valencia did it when they appointed Benitez in 2001

It's not all about what they have won with club X. It's about what they might win with Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If Kenny does leave/gets sacked why not just go and hire Fabio Capello?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It's not all about what they have won with club X. It's about what they might win with Liverpool.

Kenny might win the league with Liverpool.

If Kenny does leave/gets sacked why not just go and hire Fabio Capello?

Fabio Capello would probably only move for a top club. We are no longer a top club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Don't cry lads, didn't mean to hurt yer sensibilities. Wake up and smell the coffee - the club needs to move forward. Looking forward to FSG showing the steel to do what needs to be done, no room for sentimentality/misguided tolerance.

Lets see if this "steel" involves hiring a good replacement should Kenny be sacked.

No point showing steel once a year. Its all well and good being ruthless, so long as you make the rights decisions.

While I agree with you to an extent, there is nothing wrong with taking a view on a manager's potential.

Valencia did it when they appointed Benitez in 2001

Okay, cool, seems I have to spell it out for you more clearly:

Roberto Martinez will win **** all with Liverpool, and would be unlikely to last his first season in charge. Removing Dalglish to bring him in would represent a managerial downgrade.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Lets see if this "steel" involves hiring a good replacement should Kenny be sacked.

No point showing steel once a year. Its all well and good being ruthless, so long as you make the rights decisions.

LFC's stock in world football has fallen quite dramatically in recent years. I don't see too many "world class" managers who would be attracted to the job right now.

Realistically, our best hope is to hire an up-and-coming, promsing manager and invest wisely in the playing staff over the next few years and get this club back competing at the right end of the table. There's no quick fix to our problems, FSG just need to concentrate on reversing the decline of the club in the right way.

Villas Boas ftw

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Villas Boas ftw

Now, there is a manager with achievments AND potential that dwarf Roberto ****ing Martinez.

If that's what we're doing I could get on board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement