Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Roberto Martinez will win **** all with Liverpool

If you say so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

While I agree with you to an extent, there is nothing wrong with taking a view on a manager's potential.

Valencia did it when they appointed Benitez in 2001

It's not all about what they have won with club X. It's about what they might win with Liverpool.

Okay, cool, seems I have to spell it out for you more clearly:

Roberto Martinez will win **** all with Liverpool, and would be unlikely to last his first season in charge. Removing Dalglish to bring him in would represent a managerial downgrade.

But naive there, no one would have thought Roberts di matteo would win anything when he took over at Chelsea the way they were playing, yet he won the fa cup and has guided them to the brink of European glory with a similar enough background in management to Martinez. If nobody was ever hired on potential then the likes of Pep Guardiola or Arsene Wenger may never have become what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Martinez and AVB both have similar ideas about how they like their teams to play football, but AVB has big time experience whereas Martinez doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

2 days after the season ends and already this place is in meltdown with rumours and changes at Liverpool.....this is going to be a long fkin summer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Roberto Martinez will win **** all with Liverpool, and would be unlikely to last his first season in charge. Removing Dalglish to bring him in would represent a managerial downgrade.

while i agree that Martinez would be the wrong appointment, Dalglish is already a managerial downgrade on Benitez.

we're either going to keep Kenny, or;
    or get someone of that standard who might have a different take on things, or;
    we're going to get someone who is quite young, has shown great potential and may well prove to be a great manager for the club

we are not going to get the likes of Klopp, Mourinho, or any other relatively young manager who has already won loads of things and is with a Champions League club. AVB is the only one of that ilk that is maybe gettable.

we may need to take a calculated risk on our next appointment, if Kenny is indeed to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The plot thickens:
    Empire of the Kop ‏ @empireofthekop
    RT @Andrew_Heaton: Don't know where @mirrorfootball are getting their info, but I'm 99% sure that Dalglish is back in the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

PaulieC wrote: »
    Villas Boas ftw

This.

Would like to see AVB get it if it becomes available... think he has a point to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

DrumSteve wrote: »
    This.

Would like to see AVB get it if it becomes available... think he has a point to prove.

AVB was the manager LFC should have got to begin with. He needed a new project to start from scratch and LFC was that project, Chelsea wasn't.

I cry a little when I think what he could have done with 120million of a kitty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

This.

I reckon he'l end up at Roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If you say so

Well you're one of the regs on here who was happy to let Benitez go for Hodgson so I'm sure time will prove you right if we get Martinez in. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Kingdom wrote: »
    AVB was the manager LFC should have got to begin with

We could never have afforded his buy out clause.

Would love to see him come in learn from his mistakes at Chelsea and prove his detractors wrong.

This.

I'd be tempted, definitely

Well you're one of the regs on here who was happy to let Benitez go for Hodgson so I'm sure time will prove you right if we get Martinez in. ;)

I wanted Benitez to leave. I didn't want him replaced by Hodgson.

Pellegrini was my first choice then. He's my first choice now, but I don't think he's a realistic target.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Could do with the fry meme maybe but

@JamieAlexTimes - Spoke to John Henry in Boston: "Kenny has decided to step down due to health problems. Roberto Martinez will be our new manager." #lfc #mufc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Kingdom wrote: »
    I cry a little when I think what he could have done with 120million of a kitty.

well he spent 80 million with chelsea last summer, outside of mata none of his signings have set the world on fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

mayordenis wrote: »

@JamieAlexTimes - Spoke to John Henry in Boston: "Kenny has decided to step down due to health problems. Roberto Martinez will be our new manager." #lfc #mufc

This guy has 87 followers on twitter, load of BS.

Opr

As if he'd speak so candidly about another club's manager

He has 93 followers. Safe to say he's talking bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Fake account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

https://twitter.com/#!/AnnieEaves/status/202379918187827200
    Annie Eaves
    @AnnieEaves

Tweets you see from this guy @JamieAlexTimes are bull****. It's one of 'those' accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Definitely not a tweet to be trusted. Why would he have #mufc in it for a start?

J.

According to paddy power
    Next manager

Rafa 5-2
    Martinez 7-2
    Clarke 6-1
    O'Neill 10-1
    Carragher 14-1 !!!

I only hope those odds are being created by nutso fans putting money down and not any actual knowledge on PP's part

O'Neill would have been interesting a couple of years ago, I would have been delighted with him after Rafa but I think he has lost his sheen after the Villa business

Can anybody tell me more about Emery ?

Yea it got retweeted by someone reputable but then they took it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

markie29 wrote: »
    2 days after the season ends and already this place is in meltdown with rumours and changes at Liverpool.....this is going to be a long fkin summer!!

Yep add in posters picking random players they love on FM, Fifa, Pro Ev and then getting the hump and calling it a disaster when Liverpool don't buy him.

Repeat for 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

rossie1977 wrote: »
    well he spent 80 million with chelsea last summer, outside of mata none of his signings have set the world on fire

Replace he and his with Roman & Roman's and you're spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

According to paddy power
    Next manager

Rafa 5-2
    Martinez 7-2
    Clarke 6-1
    O'Neill 10-1
    Carragher 14-1 !!!

I only hope those odds are being created by nutso fans putting money down and not any actual knowledge on PP's part

O'Neill would have been interesting a couple of years ago, I would have been delighted with him after Rafa but I think he has lost his sheen after the Villa business

Can anybody tell me more about Emery ?

Someone head down to PP and put a fiver on Kess Kessler being the next manager. :D Would amuse me to no end to see it come up at 100-1 or something :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Sacking Kenny would be a PR disaster for Henry so I cant see that happening. I imagine if it does happem ( and I think it will) there will be some sort of statment that kenny has stepped down for personal/health reasons and will he'll recieve a nice pension for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Tweeted by @BrianDrand56 on twitter from some U.S. site...could be bull,but..

http://whatculture.com/sport/kenny-dalglish-resigns-as-liverpool-manager.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Where's Jose Mourinho at these days? :-)

• Advertisement

Reoil wrote: »
    Where's Jose Mourinho at these days? :-)

he is after all a Liverpool fan and RM have sacked winning league managers before !

rossie1977 wrote: »

There were only 3 first team signing at Chelsea during his reign. Mata, Cahill, and Meireles. The other 9 were all 20 or under and a fair chunk of them went out on loans nearly straight away afaik.

Of the 9, a few look to be potential gems like the Belgian trio of Lukaku, Courtois, and De Bruyne.

Piazon, and Romeu look to have stacks of potential as well as most likely having a good resale value, plus they got Bamford for 1.5m.

They got all 12 players for close to what we paid for 3 english players and I would bet that if they sold all 12 in the morning they would get far more for them than if we sold our three.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ardent wrote: »
    LFC's stock in world football has fallen quite dramatically in recent years. I don't see too many "world class" managers who would be attracted to the job right now.

Have you spoken to people who work in the upper echelons of world football about this?

Have you spoken to some world class managers to get their opinion? Hell, have you even any quotes you can share with us where LFC is being dissed as a footballing powerhouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yanga-Mbiwa or Ogbonna to replace Skrtel is one.

Adler on a free to replace Reina is another.

Kenny having handed in his notice is the third.

Wouldn't necessarily be against any of this tbh.

Selling Skrtel and Reina could give us 25m or so, leaving us with 10-15m after signing Mbiwa and Adler I'd guess.

How long does Mbiwa have on his contract does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The rumour flying around about Skrtel seems to be that he has been offered a huge contract by Man City.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Don't want AVB anywhere near the club. He was completely shown up at Chelsea. No authority, no versatility in tactics. Completely unable to impose his authority or playing style on the squad.

The man on the moon could tell you that his brand of high energy, high defensive line tactics were not going to work with an ageing Chelsea squad with glacially slow centre backs and very little actual width. But instead of a 'slowly, slowly' approach, he persisted with it - alienating Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Torres, Alex, Anelka, and achieving nothing. Playing politics with his team selection in Napoli was the nadir.

Fair enough, Chelsea need an overhaul -- much like ourselves -- but the way he went about it was absolutely farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

A day late & a dollar short

Knex. wrote: »
    Wouldn't necessarily be against any of this tbh.

Selling Skrtel and Reina could give us 25m or so, leaving us with 10-15m after signing Mbiwa and Adler I'd guess.

How long does Mbiwa have on his contract does anyone know?

AFAIK it runs out next summer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Don't want AVB anywhere near the club. He was completely shown up at Chelsea. No authority, no versatility in tactics. Completely unable to impose his authority or playing style on the squad.

The man on the moon could tell you that his brand of high energy, high defensive line tactics were not going to work with an ageing Chelsea squad with glacially slow centre backs and very little actual width. But instead of a 'slowly, slowly' approach, he persisted with it - alienating Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Torres, Alex, Anelka, and achieving nothing. Playing politics with his team selection in Napoli was the nadir.

Fair enough, Chelsea need an overhaul -- much like ourselves -- but the way he went about it was absolutely farcical.

I dont think i could possibly disagree anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Here's how I think this will pan out:

A club statement will be released this evening: Kenny has not been sacked, nor has he resigned. I'm basing this on Clarke being at the baseball game, Kenny being back in the UK for a holiday , and the club not having a Director of Football or a press officer at present. There's also the complete lack of any sources of news that aren't twitter-based.

FSG will appoint a director of football this month as well as look at filling the other vacancies afterwards, having consulted with the new DoF. I believe Kenny's position will also be discussed (assuming he isn't the new DoF).

• Advertisement

Skrtel to City would be unpalatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

opr wrote: »
    The rumour flying around about Skrtel seems to be that he has been offered a huge contract by Man City.

Opr

I really hope this isn't true because he's a definite goner if City are interested.

Twitter and social media sure do create mayhem !

Btw, AVB would be the type of manager that should be looked at,if Kenny is going to be replaced.

Not jokers in the category of Roy Hodgson/Martinez/Rodgers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Skrtel to City would be unpalatable.

Well not if they gave us enough cash to go and buy Mat Hummels or Thiago Silva :pac::p

Figured I might as well pick the two guys who are probably the two best centre backs in the game at the moment, with Kompany only a little behind them. IMHO of course. :D

How many years has Skittles left on his contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How many years has Skittles left on his contract?

2 AFAIK

I cannot for the life of me see Man City going for Skrtel. He's 27 and has had one really good season. There are much better options available to City.

ASOT wrote: »
    2 AFAIK

Yep, runs out in the summer of 2014

Blatter wrote: »
    I cannot for the life of me see Man City going for Skrtel. He's 27 and has had one really good season. There are much better options available to City.

Sssshhhhhhhhhhh.

If they want him then they can splash out 30 m or so. Premiership proven and all that lark. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement