Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

daithijjj wrote: »
    The last few weeks ive had 'feelins' in my 'waters' that these boys dont have a clue what they are at.

Its like absolute panic stations within the club, several positions stand unoccupied and not a man on this earth can tell me who these lads are getting advice off.

Everything points towards them being completely clueless. I have been banging this drum since they made such a mess with Comolli. They hired a DOF in a ludicrous fashion only to sack a year later. They hired a manager only to sack him a year later. I keep hearing people talking about them having balls to make these decisions but they're the ones ****ing things up in the first place. No stadium news, not even an update. No manger, No DOF, No CEO, countless other positions left unfilled.

Now they're looking to make a hugely risky appointment with Martinez. We're a mess but they seem to be getting away with blue murder because they garnered such faith with the buyout.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I think Martinez is a solid choice. He's different from Hodgson

- Good footballing style

- Young, adaptable

- Getting the best out of what he has at his disposal.

However if he was linked with Man Utd I might be panicking a bit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Martinez....

**** **** Bollocks etc.

I'd put a bet on Steve Clarke being interm manager before in the next 12 months, as we search for our 5th Manager in 23 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Martinez won't get the job lads, sacking Kenny with nobody lined up was a way of flushing out who was interested.

They will probably talk to loads, I think they know they would be lynched if they hired a novice like Martinez to replace Kenny.

It will be a big name, a Klopp or an AVB and they will pay big. And back whoever it is to the hilt with cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How our next manager arrived at his formation and why

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/05/16/wigan-stay-up-after-a-switch-to-3-4-3/

are these lads just professional spoofers or what? Making educated guesses

who is it then Tomkins?
    amiable wrote: »
    The ineterviews won't take place til next week I'd say.
    What are the chances of a new DOF sitiing in on the interviews by then?
    Txiki Begiristain perhaps?

There we are Strongbow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Martinez is a big risk. If that's who's coming in, I wish him all the best.

There's always the year AFTER next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

amiable wrote: »
    The ineterviews won't take place til next week I'd say.
    What are the chances of a new DOF sitiing in on the interviews by then?
    Txiki Begiristain perhaps?

If they unveil Bergiristain as DoF and Martinez as manager next week, with Bergiristain having been involved in the selection of the new manager, then I'll actually be relatively happy. It could be a lot worse, as we know better than most, well maybe apart from Villa fans.

It is pretty apparent that Kenny getting a three year deal was never part of the plan. kennys rescue job of the post Hodgson debacle, created a problem. They are now at the point they wanted to at this time last year. clear the decks, and start totally from scratch. We are looking at the definition of a 5 year plan here lads, practically an experiment in football, I can't think of any other time that ere has been such a root and branch clear out of staff in a club. As long as we hang onto Segura and Borrell, then again, I'm going to be happy.

I'd also have Lambert over Martinez, I'd have AvB over them all. Klopp, Loewe, Jose, Pep were never going to be realistic, unless someone at the club pulled a massive white rabbit out of Ian Ayres arse.

opr wrote: »
    Everything points towards them being completely clueless. I have been banging this drum since they made such a mess with Comolli. They hired a DOF in a ludicrous fashion only to sack a year later. They hired a manager only to sack him a year later. I keep hearing people talking about them having balls to make these decisions but they're the ones ****ing things up in the first place. No stadium news, not even an update. No manger, No DOF, No CEO, countless other positions left unfilled.

Now they're looking to make a hugely risky appointment with Martinez. We're a mess but they seem to be getting away with blue murder because they garnered such faith with the buyout.

Opr

I think they are the only owners in world football who are being criticised for not having a DOF in place :D

Should they hire a new CEO for the sake of it? just to have someone?

They may very well not know their arse from their elbow when it comes to football but on the flip side of that they may just not be comfortable hiring someone who is not the right person.

No harm weighing up your options.

The stadium is a very unique situation, its going to define the future of the club one way or another both short term and long term. Its no surprise they are taking their time. Their are many factors here, devalued currencies in future may make it a cheaper time to build then it is in 1-2 years.

Such an outlay for only 15k more seats is not worth it, but the fact they havent bit the bullet on anfield redevelopment shows us that they must fancy the new stadium option. But only when market conditions dictate its feasible. and thats being sensible.

What I like about them is they don't seem to be pandering to the fans giving them what they want, as that would benefit them in the short term but work against them in the long term.

So with current players, who end up in our 3-4-3 system next year?

Reina
    Coates, Skrtel, Agger

Johnson and Enrique wide?
    or
    Henderson and Downing?

Lucas and Gerrard in the Middle?

Suarez, Carroll, Bellemy up top?

I don't see how this system will work in Liverpool as yet.

He will have to make some serious signings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Opr

Im not being hasty like. On the scale of panic its only at 2 or 3 out of 10.

Im not even disrespecting these guys like Martinez or Rogers, im only questioning the ability of the owners. And sadly, its on the slide big time. I mean the fact that Martinez is even getting an interview is just a small sign of how these lads are not feeling the pulse of the club or its fans imho.

In a warped way, id actually love to know from Martinez after his talks what was actually said to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dr Galen wrote: »
    unless someone at the club pulled a massive white rabbit out of Ian Ayres arse.

/puts down dinner. :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Martinez would not be my choice. He is a risk.

But please give over with the doomsday crap. He is an extremely promising manager, with a good footballing philosophy and excellent tactical knowledge.

The same posters would be throwing their toys out of the pram if we were hiring a 40 year old Benitez or a 30 year old Villas-Boas. We can only hope that our new DOF is behind this and has a long-term vision for the club that will be succesful.

I'd be amazed if he is the only candidate though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Being linked with Martinez is like being linked with Downing all over again.

DDC1990 wrote: »

Reina
    Coates, Skrtel, Agger

or
    Henderson and Downing?

Here's a mad selection without new signings.

Doni
    ---Coates---Skrtel---Agger
    Johnson-Lucas-"Hendo"--Enrique
    ---Gerrard--Carroll---Suarez

Brendan Rodgers plays 4-3-3 would probably be an easier fit right now.

Im not being hasty like. On the scale of panic its only at 2 or 3 out of 10.

Im not even disrespecting these guys like Martinez or Rogers, im only questioning the ability of the owners. And sadly, its on the slide big time. I mean the fact that Martinez is even getting an interview is just a small sign of how these lads are not feeling the pulse of the club or its fans imho.

In a warped way, id actually love to know from Martinez after his talks what was actually said to him.

the pulse of the fans has been to accept mediocrity for 20+ years.

Kenny getting the job in the first place was tuning into the pulse of the supporters and he didn't cut it this time unfortunately.

As a fan i'm willing to give them a shot at backing their own man how they see fit.

No doubt you want Rafa back?

Theres no harm having an outsider take the reigns, this constant need to relive past glories and feel safe in the knowledge our manager "gets the club" is a load of tosh.

If anything, an outsider free from all of the emotional nonsense who can keep a cool head, is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I mean the fact that Martinez is even getting an interview is just a small sign of how these lads are not feeling the pulse of the club or its fans imho.

Why would they listen to the fans? We don't need a populist appointment.

I think they are the only owners in world football who are being criticised for not having a DOF in place :D

They may very well not know their arse from their elbow when it comes to football but on the flip side of that they may just not be comfortable hiring someone who is not the right person.

The stadium is a very unique situation, its going to define the future of the club one way or another both short term and long term. Its no surprise they are taking their time. Their are many factors here, devalued currencies in future may make it a cheaper time to build then it is in 1-2 years.

Such an outlay for only 15k more seats is not worth it, but the fact they havent bit the bullet on anfield redevelopment shows us that they must fancy the new stadium option. But only when market conditions dictate its feasible. and thats being sensible.

What I like about them is they don't seem to be pandering to the fans giving them what they want, as that would benefit them in the short term but work against them in the long term.

Its not about arses on seats, its about expanding corporate and expanding facilities that go with it, thats where the dollar is in a new stadium.

As for Anfield expansion, seems to me it would take a man of Ban Ki Moon's stature to untangle the web of bureaucratic bullsh1t and red tape to get that off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Reina
    Coates, Skrtel, Agger

or
    Henderson and Downing?

You do realise that Martinez isn't the manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Nick Parrott ‏@NickParrottTV The BBC understands Liverpool are approaching a number of candidates for the vacancy at Anfield when it comes to the Roberto Martinez story.

Nick Parrott

@NickParrottTV

I work for the BBC as a sports journalist on the News Channel. Anything on here are my personal views and not those of the BBC.
    Salford Quays ·

double post

BBC 5live just said Steve Clarke is still at the club, he had offered his resignation.

Mario Balotelli ‏@MBB45Official
    Wonder when downing get twitter , he may b able assist a tweet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2128493/Wigan-stick-Roberto-Martinez-says-Dave-Whelan.html

Mail are saying that Martinez didn't actually sign the contract extension offered to him last Summer and is now a free agent.

That might be a factor for FSG.

the pulse of the fans has been to accept mediocrity for 20+ years.

Kenny getting the job in the first place was tuning into the pulse of the supporters and he didn't cut it this time unfortunately.

As a fan i'm willing to give them a shot at backing their own man how they see fit.

No doubt you want Rafa back?

Theres no harm having an outsider take the reigns, this constant need to relive past glories and feel safe in the knowledge our manager "gets the club" is a load of tosh.

If anything, an outsider free from all of the emotional nonsense who can keep a cool head, is needed.

No, i actively seek out arguments with Mr Alan over Benitez infact *waves at Mr.Alan*.

I was 50 50 over Rafa but if he got a 7th season i wouldnt have minded, dont want him back now..............but i would have a sharp rethink if things shape up like this over the next few weeks.

If you think people have accepted mediocrity then grand, i wont change your perception if you have had that for 20 years. Its not true mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Thrill wrote: »

Sh1t banter from a fellow pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Opr

Well they were always going to struggle. They hired Comolli to make the footballing decisions and even complete novice football owners realised he was terrible at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I honest to fúck cannot wait to bump this thread this time next year to show the majority of people how stupid they are to be writing him off.

Why would they listen to the fans? We don't need a populist appointment.

Sure we dont, we dont need popular owners either if they are making right decisions. It just begs the question that nobody can answer, who is in charge of directing this club on the pitch right now, in even the slightest role.

Sure, we could all be amazed in 10 days, i wont hold my breath though, its not doomsday scenario, its just vibes i pick up, personal vibes and im spewing it on the internet, so leave me alone ya big bully :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think they are only going to have a discussion with Martinez and other candidates which would be the right thing to do.

Got me thinking though, is there any precedent set of a manager from a smaller/lower end division club (no disrespect to Wigan) being a trophy winning success at a big club?

I'm struggling to think of one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I can hear the clatter of ladders as people climb up into the attic to pull out the "Yanks Out" flags.

They've said they see a DOF as central to the vision of the club going forward. If we're in the process of hiring a manager then that DOF should be central to that process. They're also being criticised because they created this cluster**** of a situation by jumping in with two feet appointing a guy on the back of a mates recommendation. Amateur hour doesn't even begin to describe the whole thing.

I'd have hoped since these dismissals had been seen coming from a distance out that they would've been heavily involved in finding replacements but here we sit with a multi million pound company having key positions in the club unfilled a good time after the dismissals.

I know the stadium is a very complex issue but speak to the people. Give them some sort of update so at least they know you are trying. I am sure they're working on it in the background but it would be nice to keep the fans in some sort of loop on the issue. I am not looking for monthly updates but its been a year and a half and they've said nothing.

Not pandering to the fans? They appointed Kenny on the back of fan pressure. They let that £100m get spent completely at the will of a DOF they hired on the back of a mates recommendation. They left the club to deal with the Suarez affair alone. I have doubts they have the required financial muscle to move this club forward.

Where have they been strong? Sacking Kenny to hire Martinez, give me a ****ing break.

People seem to be placing faith in these guys to do the right thing for Liverpool FC when they have shown nothing to indicate competence or that we should have faith in them.

I know I would've much rathered put my faith in Kenny.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Thats shockingly unfunny.

You should get a yellow card for that at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Anyone seeing that tweet about Jen Chang and director of communications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think Martinez will do a good job if he gets in there always liked him as a manager and someone i could have seen replacing Arsene Wenger best of luck to the lad if he gets and hopefully Pool supporters will give him a chance

They've said they see a DOF as central to the vision of the club going forward. If we're in the process of hiring a manager then that DOF should be central to that process. They're also being criticised because they created this cluster**** of a situation by jumping in with two feet appointing a guy on the back of a mates recommendation. Amateur hour doesn't even begin to describe the whole thing.

I'd have hoped since these dismissals had been seen coming from a distance out that they would've been [B]heavily involved in finding replacements but here we sit with a multi million pound company having key positions in the club unfilled a good time after the dismissals[/B].

I know the stadium is a very complex issue but speak to the people. Give them some sort of update so at least they know you are trying. I am sure they're working on it in the background but it would be nice to keep the fans in some sort of loop on the issue. I am not looking for monthly updates but its been a year and a half and they've said nothing.

Not pandering to the fans? They appointed Kenny on the back of fan pressure. They let that £100m get spent completely at the will of a DOF they hired on the back of a mates recommendation. They left the club to deal with the Suarez affair alone. I have doubts they have the required financial muscle to move this club forward.

Where have they been strong? Sacking Kenny to hire Martinez, give me a ****ing break.

People seem to be placing faith in these guys to do the right thing for Liverpool FC when they have shown nothing to indicate competence or that we should have faith in them.

I know I would've much rathered put my faith in Kenny.

Opr

And they had the humility to get rid of Comolli again quick smart.

It seems we are a multi million pound business when it suits, not a corporation but a football club when it suits aswell. Actively seeking a new manager would have been "disrespectful to the King" in the probable words of most Liverpool fans. So they couldn't win on that front.

The Stadium? They have been giving us updates, they are reviewing the options and being prudent in their cautious approach. Its alot of money, but some would rather we draw a line under it and make a decision so the fans are not left wondering? Gimme a break.

Roberto Martinez has not been hired, don't get your knickers in a twist.

Melion wrote: »
    I honest to fúck cannot wait to bump this thread this time next year to show the majority of people how stupid they are to be writing him off.

I'm not writing the guy off, I just think we've better options available to us.

Opr

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport
    Liverpool are also keen to speak to Swansea City manager Brendan Rodgers, BBC Radio 5 live reporter Ian Dennis says.

Who else is on their list I wonder?

Yes. If this is true then it's big news. Positive as well. Knows his stuff.

• Advertisement

**** banter from an idiot teenager, who is pretending to be Balotelli.

It is clearly a false account. All tweets in Enlish, and all having a go at rivals.

Im a conspiracy theorist at heart, so the fact Jen Changs last tweet is the same day as the Standard Chartered shareholders meeting that openly discussed LFC, its image etc, on the same fupping day?. Gone on a few days holidays my arse :pac:

Tell me please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mario Balotelli. Professional football player. Official parody. @MCFC football club and Italy , former club @inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

**** banter from an idiot teenager, who is pretending to be Balotelli.

It is clearly a false account. All tweets in Enlish, and all having a go at rivals.

What? Its a false account! Well thats a first. Do they really have false account on twitter now?

Jen Chang, new Director of Communications at LFC

Now theres a left of field appointment

jenno86 wrote: »
    Thats shockingly unfunny.

You should get a yellow card for that at least!

Thats from Balotelli's twitter account.

EDIT: Just seen that its a parody acc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I'd take Martinez instead of Rodgers or Lambert.

Hope they are going for more than just the above at least.

Some talk the Chang was in for meetings around March. I've a lot of time for him as a journo tbh and as a judge of players too. Seems a decent lad as well. I remember myself and a regular from here exchanging a few messages with him last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thats not even funny, just idiotic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement