Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

What the hell does the term 'nice guy' mean? They're good with the press? Pep was a ruthless mother****er behind the scenes who wanted to win at all costs.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Thrill wrote: »
    If what Ayre says is right and that a lot of the responsibilities that managers are used to having will be given over to others then that will limit the type of manager we can get.

FSG are trying to redefine the "managers" role, which may not go down too well with managers who like to be in total control.

Future managers under FSG's new structure will be different from what we are used to, if I'm reading this right.

Seems like they are trying to set it up like ice hockey management style

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ok even if we takeout my nice guy dig I still don't think Martinez is the man,6 months ago he was close to the door at Wigan.We need to get this right,I don't think we can take a punt on a flavor of the month this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dub13 wrote: »
    I seen a tweet yesterday with stats for all the big LFC forums and the stats were much the same.So its not just an Irishkop thing.

I probably should have noted that all internet forums are full of fantasists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

,I don't think we can take a put on a flavor of the month this time.

this x 1000

I don't think people realise the cross roads the club is at .

Get this one wrong and that mid-table may become very familiar for years to come .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Blatter wrote: »
    Guardiola!

Don't come much more dignified and likable as him.

That ferguson chap at utd seems nice enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ok even if we takeout my nice guy dig I still don't think Martinez is the man,6 months ago he was close to the door at Wigan.We need to get this right,I don't think we can take a put on a flavor of the month this time.

No arguement there.

Leiva wrote: »
    this x 1000

I don't think people realise the cross roads the club is at .

Get this one wrong and that mid-table may become very familiar for years to come .

ORLY?

Seem to remember me saying that this summer was key to the club getting back into the mix or getting used to the midtable finishes of the past three seasons, only to have many on here say that there was no chance of the club becoming a midtable team despite the fact that for three seasons now that is exactly what it has been.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

I'm sorry but Ian Ayre has done himself no favours over the past few days.

The guy comes across as a right waffler .

Kess73 wrote: »
    ORLY?

Seem to remember me saying that this summer was key to the club getting back into the mix or getting used to the midtable finishes of the past three seasons, only to have many on here say that there was no chance of the club becoming a midtable team despite the fact that for three seasons now that is exactly what it has been.

I must have missed that . But instead of us talking about players and transfer targets we are here talking about managerial positions across the whole club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

The bottom line from Ian Ayre, all the owners care about is CL qualification.
    With the below in mind they must have known months ago that they were going to be parting ways with Kenny at the end of the season.
    Ian Ayre wrote:
    “It was a very simple decision based on results and did we believe that was going to change,” Ayre said. “To be 37 points off the winner, 17 points off fourth, 14 losses…..

“Winning the FA Cup wouldn’t have made any difference – it was never about an individual result. It was always about taking a review of the season in full.

“The Carling Cup and The FA Cup don’t generate the revenue and the success that is needed to keep investing. If you want to be successful, you have got to keep investing. People don’t want to hear that football is a business."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/05/18/liverpool-fc-sacking-kenny-dalglish-weas-right-move-to-let-owners-realise-vision-for-club-says-ian-ayre-100252-30994586/2/#ixzz1vDPS2Uwt

As someone mentioned above, it'll be interesting to see more details as they emerge about the new management structure they have in mind, but it would seem that many top level managers would be reluctant to give up so much control.

I assume the number 12 for potential candidates are those they intend to contact,
    so would include the likes of Rodgers, as well as the unrealistic Pep, Klopp?
    Can anyone make a stab at naming the 12?

1. Martinez
    2. Benitez
    3. Rodgers - declined
    4. AVB
    5. Capello - off to Chelsea
    6. Deschamps
    7. Klopp - naganna happen
    8. Rijkaard
    9. Pep - not a chance
    10. Bielsa?
    11. Frank deBoer?
    12. ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

That ferguson chap at utd seems nice enough

Indeed. That individual is responsible for the myth that you have to be a complete a$$hole to succeed in football management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

re, the nice guys debate...

honestly, we need someone who kick some ass when it needs to be kicked. Someone who's capable of drying hair. Too many players have gotten by oveer the yars because nice managers never gave them from aearful when needed and continues to give sub-performances. This goes all the way back to Evans.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I probably should have noted that all internet forums are full of fantasists

Maybe there is a small element of that,but polls on LFC sites give more of a indication to what the fans are thinking because polls on open sites like boards have fans of other clubs voting as well.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    re, the nice guys debate...

honestly, we need someone who kick some ass when it needs to be kicked. Someone who's capable of drying hair. Too many players have gotten by oveer the yars because nice managers never gave them from aearful when needed and continues to give sub-performances. This goes all the way back to Evans.

I'm sure Souness was adept a giving a good bollocking, but that didn't turn out too well.

tibor wrote: »

With the below in mind they must have known months ago that they were going to be parting ways with Kenny at the end of the season.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/05/18/liverpool-fc-sacking-kenny-dalglish-weas-right-move-to-let-owners-realise-vision-for-club-says-ian-ayre-100252-30994586/2/#ixzz1vDPS2Uwt

As someone mentioned above, it'll be interesting to see more details as they emerge about the new management structure they have in mind, but it would seem that many top level managers would be reluctant to give up so much control.

I assume the number 12 for potential candidates are those they intend to contact,

1. Martinez
    2. Benitez Ralf Radnick?
    3. Rodgers - declined
    4. AVB
    6. Deschamps
    7. Klopp Joachim Löw?
    8. Rijkaard
    9. Pep
    10. Bielsa?
    11. Frank deBoer?
    12. ??? - Steve McClaren?

The last name sounds mad but he is a good coach :D

1. Martinez
    2. Benitez
    3. Rodgers - declined
    4. AVB
    6. Deschamps
    7. Klopp - naganna happen
    8. Rijkaard
    9. Pep - not a chance
    10. Bielsa?
    11. Frank deBoer?
    12. ???

If I had to guess on a dozen names that would be contacted, including those we already know about, then below would be my Dirty Dozen complete with strike through lines for the ones I reckon we would have no hope of getting, who have already said no, or who the owners may have no real intention of signing.

1. Martinez
    2. Benitez
    3. Rodgers
    4. AVB
    5. Capello
    6. Deschamps
    7. Klopp
    8. Rijkaard
    9. Pep
    10. Jose
    11. Van Gaal
    12. Low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i just had a fan tell me, with a straight face, after telling me that we need someone with the Liverpool spirit, someone to make the players play for the shirt, that we should hire...

...wait for it...

Graeme Souness.

i both laugh and cry at some of our fanbase at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

SlickRic wrote: »
    i just had a fan tell me, with a straight face, after telling me that we need someone with the Liverpool spirit, someone to make the players play for the shirt, that we should hire...

...wait for it...

Graeme Souness.

i both laugh and cry at some of our fanbase at times.

I was gonna suggest Aldridge...just for the reaction when he meets Torres at the next Chelsea game.

• Advertisement

Ralf Rangnick

Hadn't heard about him in a while but a quick google reveals;
    "On May 17, 2012, Ralf Rangnick signed a 2 year contract with Turkish club Besiktas JK."

The last name sounds mad but he is a good coach :D

No chance of Radnick. He has publically stated that he does not want to be involved in any rebuilding projects for health reasons. That was the reason why he quit Schalke after six months at the club. He only wants to manage where he does not have to rebuild hence him taking the job in Turkey

Hadn't heard about him in a while but a quick google reveals;
    "On May 17, 2012, Ralf Rangnick signed a 2 year contract with Turkish club Besiktas JK."

He signed yesterday? How desperate was he not to be interviewed!? :pac:

11. Van Gaal

His name has popped up a fair bit in DoF speculation.
    Obviously has an excellent track record, but, similar to Benitez, would he work in this new management structure in a "head coach" role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yes.

But Liverpool fans take the title for me .

Some folk on here (and in work) will get what they wished for. I just hope they have the balls to stand by their decisions when things go tits up, and not hide behind some trivial shoite that happens from here until the flavour of the month manager gets the bullet in <18 months .

Saying we're the worst fans or the most stupid fans is no less stupid than saying that we're the best and most knowledgeable.
    There's a big enough sample size for most clubs that go beyond their original roots that I'd be astonished if the profile of any of the fans of us, Utd, Aresnal or Chelsea isn't exactly the same.

Most people are stupid. All people are stupid in a mob.

His name has popped up a fair bit in DoF speculation.
    Obviously has an excellent track record, but, similar to Benitez, would he work in this new management structure in a "head coach" role?

He would be my pick if a younger manager was not gone for. Managed clubs to league titles in Holland (two different clubs won titles there under him), Germany, and Spain. Has won domestic in all three countries, and has won in Europe as well including the champions league. Is a recent winner as well with his most recent league title coming in 2010.

Plus he is currently not at a club so no compensation would need to be paid out.

And he would keep Luckylloyd happy as he has a very similar attitude towards the media as LL seems to have. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

wanting Kenny gone does not mean certain fans asked for Martinez, Rodgers or whoever.

the vast vast majority who felt Kenny's time may be up, only wanted it if a suitable replacement was hired in his place.

many of the names touted do not fit that bill, and there'll be many who perhaps will come to believe that Kenny shouldn't have been sacked after all if any of those men are fired.

that does not mean they asked for the under-qualified manager to come in because they wanted Kenny to step down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just on the flavour of the month thing, could Guardiola not be considered as flavour of the month but to a higher extent?? He did nothing of note before Barcelona, i think he was their B team coach.

Now, i am in no way whatsoever taking away from what he achieved at Barca, not at all. I'm just saying, there was already a set bunch of world class players and there was already a style of play and a philosophy set in place in that club, he just had to continue it.

Now of course, you still have to gain and maintain the respect of the players and to motivate them etc. I'm not saying just anybody could have walked into that club and achieve what Guardiola achieved. But is his appointment at Barca not the same as a Martinez appointment at Liverpool?

I just think Guardiola still has to prove himself as a manager. I'm not saying he can't, but can he build success and take a club like Liverpool in the position we are now and eventually turn them into a Champions league and even title winning team?

I know he won't become manager of Liverpool, but it seems that Abramovich is intent on getting him and i think the same thing about the Chelsea link. I actually think it's a slight risk in appointing Guardiola. His appointment isn't a guarantee to success the way you'd expect a Mourinho appointment to be.

Again, i'm not taking away from what Guardiola achieved at Barca and i'm not saying he's overrated etc. I suppose i'm more playing devil's advocate.

I think we need a little cheering up ...

No.18 for me ;)

and yes they are Germans singing the Dutch anthem .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

SlickRic wrote: »
    wanting Kenny gone does not mean certain fans asked for Martinez, Rodgers or whoever.

the vast vast majority who felt Kenny's time may be up, only wanted it if a suitable replacement was hired in his place.
    My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

monkey9 wrote: »
    Just on the flavour of the month thing, could Guardiola not be considered as flavour of the month but to a higher extent?? He did nothing of note before Barcelona, i think he was their B team coach.

Now, i am in no way whatsoever taking away from what he achieved at Barca, not at all. I'm just saying, there was already a set bunch of world class players and there was already a style of play and a philosophy set in place in that club, he just had to continue it.

Now of course, you still have to gain and maintain the respect of the players and to motivate them etc. I'm not saying just anybody could have walked into that club and achieve what Guardiola achieved. But is his appointment at Barca not the same as a Martinez appointment at Liverpool?

I just think Guardiola still has to prove himself as a manager. I'm not saying he can't, but can he build success and take a club like Liverpool in the position we are now and eventually turn them into a Champions league and even title winning team?

I know he won't become manager of Liverpool, but it seems that Abramovich is intent on getting him and i think the same thing about the Chelsea link. I actually think it's a slight risk in appointing Guardiola. His appointment isn't a guarantee to success the way you'd expect a Mourinho appointment to be.

Again, i'm not taking away from what Guardiola achieved at Barca and i'm not saying he's overrated etc. I suppose i'm more playing devil's advocate.

While I get your point I think it is totally wrong!! Guardiola brought Barcelona to another planet of football, he did not simply continue a policy, he is a legendary manager after just 4 years.

What he'd do at another team would be fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I think we need a little cheering up ...

No.18 for me ;)

and yes they are Germans singing the Dutch anthem .

So far only number 13 and 18 have been approached by Liverpool in relation to the vacant managers position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Flavour of 4 years :pac:

In my opinion, the football that Barca played under Rijkaard is completely difference to the football that was played under Guardiola.

No 11 please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

No. 13 has got to be a Vampire...

J.

Flavour of 4 years :pac:

In my opinion, the football that Barca played under Rijkaard is completely difference to the football that was played under Guardiola.

But you could say the same about Martinez. Liverpool are interested in him because of what he did at Swansea and Wigan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

So far only number 13 and 18 have been approached by Liverpool in relation to the vacant managers position.

not the only position id give her if i had the chance ;)

JPA wrote: »
    While I get your point I think it is totally wrong!! Guardiola brought Barcelona to another planet of football, he did not simply continue a policy, he is a legendary manager after just 4 years.

What he'd do at another team would be fascinating.

No doubt about it. But can he replicate success at any other club bar Barcelona! It's not inconcievable that Guardiola could turn out to be a fairly average manager when you look back at his career in thirty years time, yet he'd still always be a legend at Barca!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I'll take no. 11 please - and 1 other every 5mins thereafter.

• Advertisement

No doubt about it. But can he replicate success at any other club bar Barcelona! It's not inconcievable that Guardiola could turn out to be a fairly average manager when you look back at his career in thirty years time, yet he'd still always be a legend at Barca!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQ4fucavAIrooxCJW6CEaahpjdAgDoCgyD0CjC0Nl3EqVDVD3oJg

Rodgers turns down chance to talk to Liverpool

http://www.swanseacity.net/page/Latest/0,,10354~2776443,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

wonder if the players are having any contact with FSG regarding a new manager

Rodgers turns down chance to talk to Liverpool

http://www.swanseacity.net/page/Latest/0,,10354~2776443,00.html

You're late, but hey you got here! :p

I just think Guardiola still has to prove himself as a manager.

:eek::eek::eek:
    Are you on a wind up?

Manager

Barcelona B
    Tercera División (1): 2007–08

Barcelona
    La Liga (3): 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11
    Copa del Rey (1): 2008–09
    Supercopa de España (3): 2009, 2010, 2011
    UEFA Champions League (2): 2008–09, 2010–11
    UEFA Super Cup (2): 2009, 2011
    FIFA Club World Cup (2): 2009, 2011

Individual
    IFFHS World's Best Club Coach of the Year (2): 2009, 2011
    Don Balon Award for Best Coach of the Year (3): 2009, 2010, 2011
    Onze d'Or Coach of the Year (2): 2009, 2011
    Miguel Muñoz Trophy (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
    World Soccer Magazine World Manager of the Year (2): 2009, 2011
    UEFA Team of the Year Best Coach (2): 2008–09, 2010–11
    La Liga Coach of the Year (3): 2009, 2010, 2011
    Catalan of the Year Award (1): 2009
    FIFA Ballon d'Or Best Coach (1): 2011

Orders and special awards
    Gold Medal of the Royal Order of Sporting Merit : 2010[47]

El Spearo wrote: »

I hope not. The idea of players having imput on who should or should not be their boss does not sit well with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I hope not. The idea of players having imput on who should or should not be their boss does not sit well with me.

case in point Chelsea and AVB?

El Spearo wrote: »

Bloody hope not, that's how we got Hodgson (in part).
    Are you on a wind up?

Monkey is referring to the fact all the above was won at one club who are part of a duopoly. Could he do it at Stoke is the elephant in the room!

Are you on a wind up?

Manager

Barcelona B
    Tercera División (1): 2007–08

Barcelona
    La Liga (3): 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11
    Copa del Rey (1): 2008–09
    Supercopa de España (3): 2009, 2010, 2011
    UEFA Champions League (2): 2008–09, 2010–11
    UEFA Super Cup (2): 2009, 2011
    FIFA Club World Cup (2): 2009, 2011

Individual
    IFFHS World's Best Club Coach of the Year (2): 2009, 2011
    Don Balon Award for Best Coach of the Year (3): 2009, 2010, 2011
    Onze d'Or Coach of the Year (2): 2009, 2011
    Miguel Muñoz Trophy (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
    World Soccer Magazine World Manager of the Year (2): 2009, 2011
    UEFA Team of the Year Best Coach (2): 2008–09, 2010–11
    La Liga Coach of the Year (3): 2009, 2010, 2011
    Catalan of the Year Award (1): 2009
    FIFA Ballon d'Or Best Coach (1): 2011

Orders and special awards
    Gold Medal of the Royal Order of Sporting Merit : 2010[47]

Yeah, at Barcelona!!! My point being, can he be a success at other clubs other than Barca??

*Nods head*

Its not their decision and word always gets out when players are asked these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Interesting that a lot of the names mentioned, and the current favourite are managers who favour the 'tiki-taka' style of football.

Where would that leave Carroll, if Martinez comes in for example? I can't see him managing under that system at all.

If Carroll had a good Euros and there was a bit of interest in him, would you let him go for £15m?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement