Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Kess73 wrote: »
    Keep forgetting that. It started in 1992, and the best of it always happens in England. :D

Get with it....Football was invented Sunday 5th February 1989 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Jordan doesn't come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer but on the plus side the boy has skills :pac:

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Mr. Insua scoring a nice goal for Sporting in the Europa League. I'm fond of that lad.

About a minute in.

Robinson, Wisdom and Sterling training with the first team this week.

142276522_jp_2017_12c766b77d47ac3bd98bb31429b95a97.jpg

142276522_jp_1940_25737dcb251e247b63e41f5bfaa33ed2.jpg

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/pics-the-race-is-on-in-training

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Nice to see some of the young guys stepping up to senior training.

Gerty wrote: »
    Mr. Insua scoring a nice goal for Sporting in the Europa League. I'm fond of that lad.

About a minute in.
    Yeah nice goal. It is a pity we did not keep him and persevere with him like we did with Lucas. He got a bashing, along with Lucas, when Benitez continued to play him. He would be a handy option to have now.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gbear wrote: »
    :p

Christ on a bike our midfield is useless without Lucas.
    I think Spearing has made a good impression this year and if he's content to only get 25-30 games a season I think we should hang on to him for the foreseeable future. He's got alot in his locker but there's something about Lucas, maybe the calmness, the discipline, I dunno, it's hard to put my finger on it, but he's just a cut above.

It seems the longer Lucas is out, the better he's getting. He'll be the best midfielder ever by the time he comes back imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Yeah nice goal. It is a pity we did not keep him and persevere with him like we did with Lucas. He got a bashing, along with Lucas, when Benitez continued to play him. He would be a handy option to have now.

Here we go again

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Here we go again

Fair enough, no more of that talk so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Carroll hat trick Sunday. You heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

5starpool wrote: »
    It seems the longer Lucas is out, the better he's getting. He'll be the best midfielder ever by the time he comes back imo.

He won't be the best midfielder ever just because he was out, but his absence has made one thing pretty obvious. In a squad that has the likes of Gerrard, Adam, Henderson, and Spearing as CM options, Lucas is easily the best CM in that squad with none of the others coming close to him in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

darced wrote: »

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

ft9 wrote: »
    Carroll hat trick Sunday. You heard it here first.
    9IyGtYmP_original.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Kess73 wrote: »
    He won't be the best midfielder ever just because he was out, but his absence has made one thing pretty obvious. In a squad that has the likes of Gerrard, Adam, Henderson, and Spearing as CM options, Lucas is easily the best CM in that squad with none of the others coming close to him in that role.

I've always been a defender of Lucas and really rate him, don't get me wrong. It's similar though to the whole Rafa thing in that people don't realise what they've got until they are gone.

Ah so that's why he had one of the highest pass completion % at Liverpool.

So he has a very high pass % percentage despite numerous stray short passes? Clearly you can't see any of Gerrard's glaring weakenesses if you think he is a far better CM.

• Advertisement

Hold on, earlier you said his 6 yard passes were stray ones.
    Now that's been proved inaccurate you don't like 6 yard passes.
    IMO a player that can link play continuously with 6 yard passes is vital to the team.

What strengths? I think Gerrard has very few major strengths as a certainly midfielder, especially at this stage in his career. He already is a beast though. ;)

darced, It really is hard to believe that they're Liverpool fans who still hold these kind of retarded views on Lucas. Even the more knowledgeable opposition fans now recognise how much of a good player he is.

The guy was voted our player of the year last year. He was head and shoulders our best player before he got injured this season. He completely owned games before that injury. Those 6 yard balls you talk about control the tempo flow of a game. They provide a link and a base on which to build attacks. Even at that you haven't watched very much of him if you think those are the only balls he plays.

Opta stat - Despite being out of action for 4 months Lucas Leiva has made 68 tackles, more than any other Liverpool player.

In the 13 PL games before & after Lucas injury. Before, a challenging 1.77 Points per Game, After, a pathetic 1.23 PPG. This points average after his injury has dropped even further since this stat.

The fact you compare him as a CM to Gerrard who may be one of the best attacking players of a generation but as a CM is fairly average at best is the most baffling thing.

Should have gone to specsavers.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

opr wrote: »
    darced, It really is hard to believe that they're Liverpool fans who still hold these kind of retarded views on Lucas. Even the more knowledgeable opposition fans now recognise how much of a good player he is.

The guy was voted our player of the year last year. He was head and shoulders our best player before he got injured this season. He completely owned games before that injury. Those 6 yard balls you talk about control the tempo flow of a game. They provide a link and a base on which to build attacks. Even at that you haven't watched very much of him if you think those are the only balls he plays.

Opta stat - Despite being out of action for 4 months Lucas Leiva has made 68 tackles, more than any other Liverpool player.

In the 13 PL games before & after Lucas injury. Before, a challenging 1.77 Points per Game, After, a pathetic 1.23 PPG. This points average after his injury has dropped even further since this stat.

The fact you compare him as a CM to Gerrard who may be one of the best attacking players of a generation but as a CM is fairly average at best is the most baffling thing.

Should have gone to specsavers.

Opr
    Great post, and I'll just leave this here.

http://www.eplindex.com/6412/lucas-leiva-difficult-replace-stats-analysis.html

Also, the other poster said Lucas is a poor header of the ball.

Look at his Aerial 50-50 stats. Better then Alonso's and way better then Masch's.

In the Man City game, where he was man of the match, he won the most Ground Duels and Air duels. (13 on the Ground 4 in the Air).

Lucas is actually one of our more reliable headers of a ball.

Also he seems unbelievably sound, and Loves Liverpool even after the shíte he had to take in the begining.

Sorry about the music but just shows how fundamental Lucas is to the team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would love to get out a crystal ball and see what our season would have turned out like had we had Lucas fit for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I would love to get out a crystal ball and see what our season would have turned out like had we had Lucas fit for the season.

Or a semi decent striker to play ahead of Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

a crystal ball generally just gives you a vision of the future. Not much use in finding out how your season would have gone with a fit Lucas. You'd get a better idea if you could transport yourself to a nearby parallel Universe where Lucas didn't get injured.

You may call this pedantic, but I didn't like to think of you wasting time with a crystal ball.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

greendom wrote: »
    a crystal ball generally just gives you a vision of the future. Not much use in finding out how your season would have gone with a fit Lucas. You'd get a better idea if you could transport yourself to a nearby parallel Universe where Lucas didn't get injured.

You may call this pedantic, but I didn't like to think of you wasting time with a crystal ball.

Pedantic;)

I suppose I should have used my crystal ball better and saw he was going to get injured and kidnapped him for a few hours!
    Schoolboy error!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Top 4 class, as shown by the points differential since he got injured, hell, he made Adam look decent.

He's also the leader of the team when Carragher and Gerrard are past their best, completely different to say a Mascherano, but its the confidence he gives to the defence and the midfield by his reading of the game that does it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Sorry about the music but just shows how fundamental Lucas is to the team.

Thats a highlight reel :eek:

A lot of the clip was reckless tackles.

Thing I noticed about the clip was when he does win the ball he passes it then just stops, a better midfielder would still move into a position to receive a pass. He's also not very good going forward. I'd rate Scott Parker ahead of him TBH.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Thats a highlight reel :eek:

A lot of the clip was reckless tackles.

Thing I noticed about the clip was when he does win the ball he passes it then just stops, a better midfielder would still move into a position to receive a pass. He's also not very good going forward. I'd rate Scott Parker ahead of him TBH.

Well he has a very specific role in the team. He has become very disciplined. He started out as an attacking center midfielder but has taken a while to adjust to a new position. He gets the team moving forward and is great when we do not have the ball. I do not think he makes too many reckless tackles just puts himself in the right area when defending.
    Well Scott Parker has a lot more experience in that role but a few more seasons for Lucas and he will be just as good if not better. The key is to find someone to play alongside Lucas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Lucas is badly missed for sure, but it was inevitable that he would become more and more world class the less he played and the more the team struggled without him.

Missing Lucas hasn't been our achilles heel. Its been creating chances and putting the ball in the net.

Well he has a very specific role in the team. He has become very disciplined. He started out as an attacking center midfielder but has taken a while to adjust to a new position. He gets the team moving forward and is great when we do not have the ball. I do not think he makes too many reckless tackles just puts himself in the right area when defending.
    Well Scott Parker has a lot more experience in that role but a few more seasons for Lucas and he will be just as good if not better. The key is to find someone to play alongside Lucas.

I think it sounds a bit like Lee Carsley Syndrome

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056548929

Though I think I remember reading about him being the top tackler in europe.

But funny how things change when it wasnt that long the Kop were booing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think it sounds a bit like Lee Carsley Syndrome

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056548929

Though I think I remember reading about him being the top tackler in europe.

But funny how things change when it wasnt that long the Kop were booing him.

And funny how things never change, like you and Liverpool.

He actually has improved the attacking side of his game a lot. Even opposition fans who'd previously thought him average changed their opinion in the last year or so.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    And funny how things never change, like you and Liverpool.

He actually has improved the attacking side of his game a lot. Even opposition fans who'd previously thought him average changed their opinion in the last year or so.

Ha, I know normally I do be slightly dramatic and over the top with it comes to pool but I think I'm being very fair now with my Lucas criticisms. Not a terrible player but I dont think he's world class and I think the teams in the top 6 have equal or better DMs than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ha, I know normally I do be slightly dramatic and over the top with it comes to pool but I think I'm being very fair now with my Lucas criticisms. Not a terrible player but I dont think he's world class and I think the teams in the top 6 have equal or better DMs than him.

No your not being fair to him really, your talking bollox like you usaully do when it comes to liverpool.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    No your not being fair to him really, your talking bollox like you usaully do when it comes to liverpool.

to be fair Niallo its not an outlandish opinion, not one I agree with but its held by others.

Tim Vickery for instance, who watches south american football for a living pretty much reckons Lucas is an excellent midfielder but will never be a world class defensive midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jayob10 wrote: »
    to be fair Niallo its not an outlandish opinion, not one I agree with but its held by others.

Tim Vickery for instance, who watches south american football for a living pretty much reckons Lucas is an excellent midfielder but will never be a world class defensive midfielder.

Well it was more the comment about all the top 6 clubs having equal or better CMs, i think maybe city are the only team Lucas would not be a starter in.

Well it was more the comment about all the top 6 clubs having equal or better CMs, i think maybe city are the only team Lucas would not be a starter in.

I don't see why we have to always be content to prove our players are the very best, i think everyone agrees Lucas is an excellent player

United fans are still pulling their hair out trying to say Anderson is better i admit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't see why we have to always be content to prove our players are the very best, i think everyone agrees Lucas is an excellent player

United fans are still pulling their hair out trying to say Anderson is better i admit :D

Dunno about that, our Brazilian midfielder has his rare moments of class but they're wedged between months of injuries, months of poor form and bouts of binge-eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

United batphone has rang. No we aren't.

You pointed out the 6 yard passes are a negative so hence you must not like them.

Where did I say he owned every game?

If you think Lucas wouldn't have made even a little bit of a difference you are slightly deluded IMHO.
    I'm not in the camp that he's all of a sudden the best midfielder in the world but he was Liverpool's best player last season and arguably the best player up til November this season. So he without doubt would have improved the team.

So continue digging your hole if you like but I think you'd be better served putting down the shovel:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Parker and sandro are better

Parker and sandro are better

I'd have Lucas before Parker or Sandro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Does anyone else feel like fcking their laptop/phone out the window when an interview from Kenny or one of the many no-mark players pops up on their facebook feed. "we've made progress","getting there slowly", "would have liked to have scored more" etc.

Does anyone else feel like fcking their laptop/phone out the window when an interview from Kenny or one of the many no-mark players pops up on their facebook feed. "we've made progress","getting there slowly", "would have liked to have scored more" etc.
    anger-management-posters.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The latest pearly of wisdom from wing wizard Stewart Downing
    "I'm no different - I want to be in the team and playing well. Hopefully my form continues because we've got the Euros at the end of the season and I'm trying to get into that squad, so a good finish would help."

Yep keep concentrating on the euros lad, thats the real goal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement