Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Wonder how Joe Cole is getting on over in Lille..... how we could do with him tomorrow.

Who'll be the first to bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

He'd be good on the back 9 alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

kop77 wrote: »
    Wonder how Joe Cole is getting on over in Lille..... how we could do with him tomorrow. first to bite.

Unless he has been playing all season in net for Lille, he can stay were he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Also seen Liverpool linked with Hector Herrera and Ever Banega. The former joining in the summer. The latter beginning talks.

Van Gaal and Cruyff rumours seem a bit odd. We will surely replace Comolli soon enough but I doubt it will be either of those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think we should play Comolli in goal tomorrow, as a thank you/send off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Grayditch wrote: »
    I think we should play Comolli in goal tomorrow, as a thank you/send off.

We've had enough of our goalies sent off tbh :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

kop77 wrote: »
    Wonder how Joe Cole is getting on over in Lille..... how we could do with him tomorrow.

Heard on 5 live a couple of weeks back,he is supposed to be having a great season over there. Lille are playing some great football and he is a big part of it.
    A permanent move over there during the summer is looking very likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

At first I was cringing but it turned out to put a smile on my face :)

Opr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

________Jones_____
    Johnsonn_skrtel_agger_Enricky

Kuyt_Gerrard_Spearing_Maxi

_______Carroll_Suarez________

What i'd paly, Hope to win in 90 mins

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Almost zero chance that Maxi starts imo, although I'd certainly play him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the whole Johan Cruyff thing, there is one important thing to remember.

Who completely revamped the way the youth system works and how they play? Pep Segura and Rodolfo Borrell.

Who would Cruyff have worked with on that side of things when he was consultant for Laporta at Barca? Segura and Borrell.

It would seem somewhat natural to reunite as many of that team as possible to try to recreate what they did at Barca I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Who completely revamped the way the youth system works and how they play? Pep Segura and Rodolfo Borrell.

Who would Cruyff have worked with on that side of things when he was consultant for Laporta at Barca? Segura and Borrell.

It would seem somewhat natural to reunite as many of that team as possible to try to recreate what they did at Barca I guess.

Guardiola has been quite complimentary about Liverpool's youth set up in the last year too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Why do we need Cruyff then? Our youth set up seems fine without, no idea what changes he could make at this stage. Certainly can see the changes he'd potential make out-weighing the massive potential he has of acting like a massive tool and pissing everyone off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why do we need Cruyff then? Our youth set up seems fine without, no idea what changes he could make at this stage. Certainly can see the changes he'd potential make out-weighing the massive potential he has of acting like a massive tool and pissing everyone off.

I would presume he'd have a role in trying to find, and actually get, first team players, and those in the "no mans land" age of around 17-20, who fit in with the club's philosophy.

Frankly, we don't know what his role was, so we don't know what he'll bring.

If Laporta was able to avail of his services and found him useful however, he must add something. I trust his judgement more than the heads of most clubs. I'm pretty sure he'd still be Barca's head if they didn't have a 2-term limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Leiva wrote: »
    balls

Ajax fan?

ush wrote: »
    Ajax fan?

Lol.

No Rafa fan :(

The way I look at it is that you can't bullsh*t Cruyff. He's old school and he knows a good plan for creating a decent set-up at a football club. So, if he is moving to Liverpool, he must be convinced that FSG know their sh*t. Or, at the least, he knows they can achieve their goals.

I think under good ownership, a decent structure, a clear division of responsibilities, Benitez or Dalglish can co-operate with Cruyff or any proper DOF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wouldn't be happy with appointment of Cruijf at all.
    Lived in Holland and he was a controversial character there as TV pundit and views.

People thinking that he created 'total football' really are mistaken. That was system was created by Rinus Michels and Cruijff was a mere player in the system, albeit a very good one.

Don't see the point in bringing in a 64 year old ex-player into the position who might be viewed as a threat by Dallglish and create an atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

balls

Hardly new news. It was posted this morning that he resigned. I'll believe nothing until I see it. Chances are that we'd have to pay him loads as well, and I'd prefer that money spent on player fees or wages than 5m or so to a DoF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

5starpool wrote: »
    Almost zero chance that Maxi starts imo, although I'd certainly play him.

Tomorrows game will be about heart and determination which are areas Maxi may be lacking in.

It'll be a tough game with little fluidity. Maxi doesn't shine in such circumstances.

It'll be a day for war horses like Kuyt.

But Maxi could be a game changer when legs begin to tire with 10 or 15 mins to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

djPSB wrote: »
    Tomorrows game will be about heart and determination which are areas Maxi may be lacking in.

It'll be a tough game with little fluidity. Maxi doesn't shine in such circumstances.

It'll be a day for war horses like Kuyt.

But Maxi could be a game changer when legs begin to tire with 10 or 15 mins to go.

Yep, can't see Maxi getting near the first 11. I just hope to God Carra isn't lumped in for this one to promote some sort of local rival/siege mentality BS, i'm sure we'd all rather see Agger in provided its not taking a gamble on his recovery. Aside from our centre halves i'm sure Kenny will see it as a day for the grinders. I don't think it will be pretty, but reckon we'll get through the tie, perhaps not in 90 mins though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ush wrote: »
    The way I look at it is that you can't bullsh*t Cruyff. He's old school and he knows a good plan for creating a decent set-up at a football club. So, if he is moving to Liverpool, he must be convinced that FSG know their sh*t. Or, at the least, he knows they can achieve their goals.

I think under good ownership, a decent structure, a clear division of responsibilities, Benitez or Dalglish can co-operate with Cruyff or any proper DOF.

And alot of people seem to have forgotten how he had digs at Liverpool after they beat Barca in 2001 and 2007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Thing is, they've already spunked a load of money into the first team, so at least initially it seems that they wanted to make us more competitive as a priority. It didn't work, obviously. So do they try again, or resign themselves, and the club, to being a top 8 side while the rebuilding work goes on elsewhere in the club?

No they didn't.
    I agree. I'm just saying that initially they DID try to go nuts rather than the long term approach, and it backfired badly. Personally, I think they need to correct some of these mistakes at the very least irrespective of any long term plans.

No they didn't.
    Dubit10 wrote: »
    Lot of talk of just redeveloping Anfield though is'nt there. Read that the club are installing big screens akin to what Spurs have in the ground this Summer. Not sure what to make of that but i'd say it's just a revenue raising measure with adverts running on them. One way or another we are in dire need of more seats for our fanbase.

Need more corporate stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

And alot of people seem to have forgotten how he had digs at Liverpool after they beat Barca in 2001 and 2007

He's not a fan of, as he sees it, Anti-Football and was highly critical of the way Houllier and Benitez set their teams out to play.

If you bring Cruyff in, forget Benitez as coach. You may, however, be looking at an FSG approach for Guardiola if not this season then the next. With the youth system that he admires being run by ex-Barca staff and his mentor as he Director of Football...stranger things have happened.

Either that or maybe get Van Gaal in?

He's not a fan of, as he sees it, Anti-Football and was highly critical of the way Houllier and Benitez set their teams out to play.

If you bring Cruyff in, forget Benitez as coach. You may, however, be looking at an FSG approach for Guardiola if not this season then the next. With the youth system that he admires being run by ex-Barca staff and his mentor as he Director of Football...stranger things have happened.

Either that or maybe get Van Gaal in?

Can you imagine someone like Cruyff coming in and looking at the state of our current first team/squad?. Adam, Downing, Kuyt, Spearing, Carroll, Carra all enormously limited footballers either in the first team or right on the cusp of it, and i even say that considering they have "specific" jobs like in the case of Spearing....but total footballers they ain't. It would require a major overhaul of the first team squad outside of defence, and the problem is we'd need to overhaul the very players we invested so much in last year. Otherwise, what exactly would be his role..if we are going to stick with Kenny. What else does a man like Cruyff have to offer. International scouting knowledge?

All of this would be a significant change in direction and virtually an acknowledgment that most of our recent transfers have been giant-money flops (not necessarily a bad thing). Hopefully more talent can filter through from the Acedemy, but it would really put a nail in the head of the "proven British talent" BS, which i think most of us thought was complete rubbish in the first place. If someone like Cruyff comes in and pushes coaching in a different direction, we need to try and take losses on recent signings and get a few players off the books ASAP. Adam, Downing, even Carroll. Take a huge hit, find a buyer at a big loss, and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

My Semi Final Team...

Jones

Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique

Spearing Gerrard

Henderson Suarez Downing

Carroll

Subs; Gulasci, Carra, Coates, Shelvey, Kuyt, Downing, Bellamy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Van Gaal will never work with Cryuff. From what I have read there has been a lot of bad blood between them over Ajax recently and as a result they despise each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

My Semi Final Team...

Jones

Spearing Gerrard

Henderson Suarez Downing

Carroll

I would switch Gerrard and Henderson and have Maxi on the bench instead of the second Downing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Jones

GlenJo - Skrtel - Agger -- Enrique

Kuyt - Gerrard - Spearing- Maxi

Suarez -- Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Id love to see this:

:D ... Attack!

Jones

Spearing Gerrard

Shelvey Suarez Bellamy

Carroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Mine would be:

Jones

Spearing

Hendo Gerrard

Maxi Carroll Suarez

One can dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Don't see Carroll starting. Everton play with three central midfielders who are in fine form and they could have a field day if they were just against Gerrard and Spearing.

Midfield of Spearing, Gerrard, Henderson with Kuyt on the right, Downing on the left and Suarez up front on his own imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Blatter wrote: »
    Don't see Carroll starting. Everton play with three central midfielders who are in fine form and they could have a field day if they were just against Gerrard and Spearing.

Midfield of Spearing, Gerrard, Henderson with Kuyt on the right, Downing on the left and Suarez up front on his own imo.

What I expect too. And also what I'd like to see

Mine would be:

Jones

Spearing

Hendo Gerrard

Maxi Carroll Suarez

One can dream.

That's the exact type of team and attitude we should play tomorrow.
    Attack minded setup keeping Everton on the back foot , and our confidence up.

Cause I worry if Everton smell any doubts over our recent performances we could find ourselves under pressure .

One slight change is I would start with Gulasci just purely because he has more game time.

Gulasci hasnt been playing for months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Mine would be:

Jones

Spearing

Hendo Gerrard

Maxi Carroll Suarez

One can dream.

bellamy for maxi and we're in business

That's the exact type of team and attitude we should play tomorrow.
    Attack minded setup keeping Everton on the back foot , and our confidence up.

Cause I worry if Everton smell any doubts over our recent performances we could find ourselves under pressure .

One slight change is I would start with Gulasci just purely because he has more game time.

Has Gulasci been playing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

donfers wrote: »
    bellamy for maxi and we're in business

I'd be going with my gut instinct and from what I've seen recently, when he's played, Bellers hasn't been as good as he was earlier in the season. I'd be willing to take a punt on Maxi riding high in confidence and producing more of the same that we saw against Blackburn. I think Maxi is a form player.

Team i think kenny will play rather than my team

________ Gulasci_______

_Johnson_carra_skrtel_enricky

_________spearing_______

Kuyt__Gerrard_Shelvey_Downing

__________Suarez__________

Jones is a hero obv, has to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Jones is a hero obv, has to play.

Can people stop with the Jones jokes, they were never funny to begin with and are overdone at this stage.

Morzadec wrote: »
    What I expect too. And also what I'd like to see

Yeah, but its so ugly. I'd love to say feck Downing and Kuyt and go with an exciting Maxi Carroll Suarez up top with Spearing Gerrard and Henderson in a three behind, with Henderson having a stormer to cover Gerrard not playing in his proper position!

Potential scorelines would be:

Liverpool 5-2 Everton.
    Liverpool 0-4 Everton. (with man off)
    Liverpool 6-0 Everton.
    Liverpool 1-3 Everton. (no man off,finish with eleven men).

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can people stop with the Jones jokes, they were never funny to begin with and are overdone at this stage.

Are you saying the Doni/Jones jokes have gone so cold they are, eh, rigger mortis? cough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I wish Reina was available tomorrow. He has been getting a bit of stick on here recently but he is still a class keeper. I hope the occasion does not get to Brad Jones. Wish I was going to Wembley tomorrow.Come on Liverpool.

wha?

wha?

Wha indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

No they didn't.

No they didn't.
    You're just arguing semantics at this point. Do I have to explain this every time?

You're just arguing semantics at this point. Do I have to explain this every time?

No I am not arguing semantics. What you posted was just completely untrue.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement