Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I thought Spearing was class today. Some very incisive passes in the final third too.

Gave the ball away a few times in our half as well.
    I suppose it's hard playing beside Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

murpho999 wrote: »
    So you're still not happy with Carroll today?

It wasn't actually the Andy Carroll comment. It was the other stuff. You wish people wouldn't judge the player or manager on 5 minutes of poor performance or poor play - that's frankly a bizarre statement tbh. In the last 19 games(half a season) in the league we've won 5 games, how many league games is it acceptable to form an opinion on? I'd love to know just so I can toe the party line in future. As for player performances, again how long should a player be allowed continually put in average performances before it is brought up? 4 years maybe? I also can't help but laugh at you asking about Andy Carroll, who cares if I was happy with him today? Sure I thought I'm not meant to judge a player based of one or two performances.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mike65 wrote: »
    Enough of your cheap attacks!

I've been here all day as it happens and was on the match thread and everything. I don't just pop up to say bad things. Unlike some ;)

In fairness to Mike, he is on here his whole life, not just today :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

monkey9 wrote: »
    Posting the same lie in two threads??

Think it's 3 or 4 now.

___

Anyway, Kelly has revealed the reasons behind Carroll's improvement in front of goal..

Martin Kelly ‏ @MartinKelly1990 Reply Retweeted Favorite · Open
    Also the big AC has used Jordan's hair gel for the last 2 games and scored both wining goals #fact

Also, saw this an hour or so ago, not arsed looking for it now but apparently Andy has been staying back after training the last few weeks to help sort out his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Brad Jones said after the match today that he always stays behind & is one of the hardest workers at the club, despite what the papers seem to want to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

-Ade- wrote: »

Also, saw this an hour or so ago, not arsed looking for it now but apparently Andy has been staying back after training the last few weeks to help sort out his game.

Brad Jones said in his post match interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It wasn't actually the Andy Carroll comment. It was the other stuff. You wish people wouldn't judge the player or manager on 5 minutes of poor performance or poor play - that's frankly a bizarre statement tbh. In the last 19 games(half a season) in the league we've won 5 games, how many league games is it acceptable to form an opinion on? I'd love to know just so I can toe the party line in future. As for player performances, again how long should a player be allowed continually put in average performances before it is brought up? 4 years maybe? I also can't help but laugh at you asking about Andy Carroll, who cares if I was happy with him today? Sure I thought I'm not meant to judge a player based of one or two performances.

Can't respond to all your points as I've learnt that it's impossible to win a discussion with you but my main point was that people here are too quick to call players/managers crap etc and not give people time to prove themselves. In the match thread people were calling for Kenny to be sacked because LFC had conceded a goal!

Carroll being the perfect example, had a tough time since his arrival and received nothing but criticism but hopefully today he's started to show people he's good enough.

Also, last 19 games have been poor, but I think Kenny deserves more time considering how bad things were in Jan 2011 when he took over. Perhaps your 4 year timescale is probably the real time he needs to turn it around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Australian goalkeeper Jones said of Carroll: "The media knock him but he's a fantastic guy. He works hard, does extra training and deserved this goal at Wembley.

Kind of contradicts what a couple of Andys team mates had said earlier in the season about him training wise.Maybe they had said it in jest (which they more than likely did as they would hardly publicly slag him off on national tv) and maybe some fans here should not be so quick to jump to conclusions about him either.

The comment about him being lazy in training was on Soccer AM or something & whoever said it was laughing as he said it, it was clearly in jest, however the rush to criticise him meant that was seemingly missed.

• Advertisement

You beat me to it Al!:)

murpho999 wrote: »
    Can't respond to all your points as I've learnt that it's impossible to win a discussion with you but my main point was that people here are too quick to call players/managers crap etc and not give people time to prove themselves. In the match thread people were calling for Kenny to be sacked because LFC had conceded a goal!

Carroll being the perfect example, had a tough time since his arrival and received nothing but criticism but hopefully today he's started to show people he's good enough.

Also, last 19 games have been poor, but I think Kenny deserves more time considering how bad things were in Jan 2011 when he took over. Perhaps your 4 year timescale is probably the real time he needs to turn it around.

It's just impossible for you to win a discussion with me because you are always wrong. As I said, how long should players/managers be given time to prove themselves? Should we still have Neil Mellor at the club because he set up a goal in the CL against Olympiacos or scored a cracker against Arsenal? Carroll has been muck for the whole time he has been here, you might disagree and think he's been excellent, fair enough. Scoring a goal against a relegation battling side or a mid-table premier league outfit doesn't change that fact. If today performance showed you he's been worth £35m or can be as Van Persie, Rooney, Ageuro, Tevez or even Adebayor then you are more delluded than I originally thought. Either that or your standards for where Liverpool should be are alot further behind than mine. Maybe the 4 year timescale is right, maybe by then he'll finally accept Carragher isn't good enough to start for us, unlikely though.

''It's just impossible for you to win a discussion with me because you are always wrong.''

sweet jesus.........:rolleyes:

LimGal wrote: »
    ''It's just impossible for you to win a discussion with me because you are always wrong.''

sweet jesus.........:rolleyes:

Don't hate on the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I thought Spearing was class today. Some very incisive passes in the final third too.

Easy for him to look poor in the first half when nobody was making an effort. A few times he got the ball and there was no option but to go sideways or back (Neil Lennon would have loved to be playing there). You could see him giving out for players to move and give him options but it wasnt happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Don't hate on the truth.

I agree with you about Carroll, I will give him his dues that he has upped his performances recently but 2 goals haven't suddenly made him a world beater and he will have to go a long way to win me over after he bottled it against Newcastle but you gotta provide a better argument than that.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Brad Jones said after the match today that he always stays behind & is one of the hardest workers at the club, despite what the papers seem to want to believe.

Jones must see him while he's cutting the grass or whatever it is is his job.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I thought it was Pepe who said he was the laziest, or something along those lines, when asked whose the laziest in an interview.

Maybe the laziest comments were lies/jokes, or maybe Carroll took notice of them and decided to work harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mr Alan wrote: »
    The comment about him being lazy in training was on Soccer AM or something & whoever said it was laughing as he said it, it was clearly in jest, however the rush to criticise him meant that was seemingly missed.

I think it was with Reina, they asked who is the laziest or something like that, and he said Carroll.

It's just impossible for you to win a discussion with me because you are always wrong. As I said, how long should players/managers be given time to prove themselves? Should we still have Neil Mellor at the club because he set up a goal in the CL against Olympiacos or scored a cracker against Arsenal? Carroll has been muck for the whole time he has been here, you might disagree and think he's been excellent, fair enough. Scoring a goal against a relegation battling side or a mid-table premier league outfit doesn't change that fact. If today performance showed you he's been worth £35m or can be as Van Persie, Rooney, Ageuro, Tevez or even Adebayor then you are more delluded than I originally thought. Either that or your standards for where Liverpool should be are alot further behind than mine. Maybe the 4 year timescale is right, maybe by then he'll finally accept Carragher isn't good enough to start for us, unlikely though.

Until Agger got injured recently Carragher hadn't been starting. Carroll is not worth 35 million but he has been playing better and better since the turn if the new year.

'Footballs Greatest' on SS1 now is about our manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Not sure if it was metioned but you see in Carrolls interview after the game how much it ment to him. ****ing delighted for him!

Haters gona hate though!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Until Agger got injured recently Carragher hadn't been starting. Carroll is not worth 35 million but he has been playing better and better since the turn if the new year.

Carragher only lost his place because he got injured. He was first choice at the start of the season. Better and better is still extremely average, he's no doubt improved but at the end of the day I personnaly don't think he'll ever being good enough to be a first choice striker for a team who hope to win league titles, and be consistently competing at the business end of the champions league which is our goal. I'm not sure he's good enough for a team who'll even be competing for a top 4 place in the league.

For a team that is in transition winning a trophy and bein in the final of another thats pretty good in my book:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

great game...Carroll can get into this last gasp winner habit all he likes!

delighted for him, delighted for Jones surprisingly! He's had a tough year, and he deserved a great outing, although he won't be playing the next one. He showed great confidence and bravery in the area, and a pat on the back for him.

Suarez, cracker! Carragher was meh...very meh...and i don't fully understand why we set up at the back the way we did, and in my eyes the selection could be responsible for the everton goal.

Gerrard was very quiet all game, along side henderson...

downing had a great game, and I can see many people warming to him come next season.

all in all we are lacking in the middle, and maybe just maybe lucas being back will let loose some creativity.

we seem to be getting the luck we've been lacking all season through mistakes like Distans, but who cares...were in the FA cup final.

All thats left to do now is respect the rest of the weekends meaning and greater importance.

Congrats LFC and JFT96

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I'd like if we got Chelsea as i think we've a better chance of beating them, but i'd prefer to beat Spurs, they get on my tits.

Completely agree, hopefully Spurs are a club destined to come crashing back down to earth over the next couple of seasons, maybe we can start the ball rolling ;)
    I'd fancy us to beat Chelsea much more so than Spurs (the Willmunny factor :pac: ) but i'd rather play Spurs, think it would be a good final.

Carragher only lost his place because he got injured. He was first choice at the start of the season. Better and better is still extremely average, he's no doubt improved but at the end of the day I personnaly don't think he'll ever being good enough to be a first choice striker for a team who hope to win league titles, and be consistently competing at the business end of the champions league which is our goal. I'm not sure he's good enough for a team who'll even be competing for a top 4 place in the league.

And he only regained his place when Agger got injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

LimGal wrote: »
    For a team that is in transition winning a trophy and bein in the final of another thats pretty good in my book:)

You keep telling yourself that :p

League table doesn't lie, alot closer to bottom than top. :eek:

royaler83 wrote: »
    You keep telling yourself that :p

League table doesn't lie, alot closer to bottom than top. :eek:

Ah if I had said ''one trophy and the chance of winning another is a good season in my book'' then maybe your post would have had some credibility but no I said a team in TRANSITION!:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

How are Liverpool in transition?

After 120m pounds spent on peak players, it cannot be called that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

DB10 wrote: »

Any chance now that you're back you can find some quotes from the match thread where a Liverpool fan called KK the greatest manager in the world Europe? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I love how our wins burn deeply under the skin of so many people on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Any chance now that you're back you can find some quotes from the match thread where a Liverpool fan called KK the greatest manager in the world Europe? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't engage with him mate, I made that mistake. He's in about 4 threads venting his fury at today's results and trying to troll.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I love how our wins burn deeply under the skin of so many people on here.

Even more bemusing is that's it's tearing an Arsenal fan apart :confused:

Managers first full season in charge alot of players first full season with the club.

If we finish with 2 trophies I'll be pretty happy.Of course Im unhappy to miss out on CL football but the confidence gained from 2 (hopefully) trophies should go along away to a good tilt at the top 4 next season.

Correct me if Im wrong but Citeh spent a shed load of money on players a couple of seasons but still missed out on CL football to Spurs??

Things can change very quickly in football....look at Newcastle for Godsake!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Even more bemusing is that's it's tearing an Arsenal fan apart :confused:

MIght have something to do with possibility of 2 trophies this season while the gunners trophy-less agony goes on

MIght have something to do with possibility of 2 trophies this season while the gunners trophy-less agony goes on

DB10 is a Gunners fan......are you kidding me???

Oh lordy lord!!

Head off there mate and blow away all the cobwebs out of the Gunners trophy cabinet:)

alot of this should be kept to the match thread people...

one thing i want to discuss....Enrique's omission...

sceal there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'll ask here also:

You seem awfully perturbed that Liverpool prevailed today, mad even. Why are you so mad? :confused:

eldwaro wrote: »

sceal there?

He's been poor enough recently.
    Agger is too good to be left out.
    Carra sentimentally got the nod.

All 3 perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

sceal there?

I'd say its to do with the serious dip in his form recently. Plus he needs rested badly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

sceal there?

If he decided that he wanted to add Carragher's big game experience, seniority and local understanding to this tie then it meant Enrique had to step aside with Johnson and Agger being two of our better players this season when they've been fit.

Additionally, Everton pose a well known aeriel threat at set pieces and can be direct so it could have been argued that playing three central defenders would be beneficial.

All 3 perhaps.

felt myself agreeing with all three tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just watched the highlights there, nearly cried! Im thrilled for caroll what a massive goal, worked his socks off. Defenders must hate playing against suarez, serious handfull. Haters gonna hate but I absolutely love this club :)

darced wrote: »

Shelvey would look poor on the wing as well. Doesn't really suit either.

• Advertisement

All 3 perhaps.

Agree with the first two. However, Kenny has already shown he has no issue keeping Carra out of the side so not sure about the third.

I'd also add in that he may have felt we'd be more solid on the flanks with Agger as opposed to Enrique on his recent form & with Jones in goal, it was advisable to try & limit in a big way the number of crosses he'd have to deal with.

Also, whatever people may say about Carra (I don't wanna see him starting, but people have been too harsh), Kenny always picks a combative team who understand the Derby when we meet Everton-considering he's become the first Liverpool manager to ever beat them 3 times in a season, it's hard to argue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

As a LFC fan Im delighted to be in another final. Top effort lads.

However I still find myself questioning a lot of Kennys decisions: Why start Carra (which threatened to backfire, after that error, he was more at fault than Agger IMO, he should have called it and hoofed it, especially when he could see everything around him)

Also, taking Downing off, he was causing Baines loads of trouble. Granted Bellers put in a great ball for Andys goal.

I dont think Kenny and the current back room team are the way forward, but Im still delighted we won today. I know one fan who actually said at one stage he hoped Everton would win so KK would get the boot!!

I think Rafa is the man for the job, but I would have absolutely no problem if either:n

a) Kenny proved the doubters wrong next season, or
    b) Someone else came in and won us a league title.

LFC for life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I know one fan who actually said at one stage he hoped Everton would win so KK would get the boot!!

That person is not a fan tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

darced wrote: »

I thought Gerrard was average at best to be perfectly honest. Thats not where we won the game i reckon.

Enrique may have been very poor of late but to switch Agger to LB and bring Carra in at centre half is madness. As much as i hate seeing Carra at RB i'd have preferred to see him there rather than in the middle, switch Glen Johnson to LB, and then keep the Skytel-Agger partnership in the middle. Or else play Coates in the middle and Agger can then play LB. I think Kenny was always gonna play Carra today, being the local derby and a day for the grinders. Anything is better than Carra at centre half at this stage, he's so slow and has to play so deep that Brad Jones looks like the centre half at times and Carra the goalie :eek:

anyone have links to the post match interviews?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement