Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and star - Marks and Spencer's interested in area

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Junior wrote: »
    Hmm from Liz Reddy's Twitter feed this morning

Head of Retail Excellence Ireland is hopeful there will be good news soon about a large retailer coming to #Waterford City.

https://twitter.com/LilyReddy/status/365365405675552769

No idea whom that might refer to ..

Seen that all right - where within the city though is free for a large retailer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Jambo wrote: »
    Seen that all right - where within the city though is free for a large retailer ?

'hopeful' is not a definitive i suppose. He might have been trying to say, Waterford is in a good position for new retail or something, who knows. We are all in the dark. im hopeful that something is afoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Junior wrote: »
    Hmm from Liz Reddy's Twitter feed this morning

Head of Retail Excellence Ireland is hopeful there will be good news soon about a large retailer coming to #Waterford City.

https://twitter.com/LilyReddy/status/365365405675552769

No idea whom that might refer to ..

Tesco Ferrybank!!! :D

Nest open, hornets everywhere!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I think their announcement of a new store in limerick is more spin than substance, as they have no planning and are proposing to build in an out of town site in a City that has been destroyed by out of town developments.
    I hear what you are saying Mike but would not throw in the towel yet if the City council pro vide the right package you would be surprised who might turn up.
    Max Powers wrote: »
    agree with that, M&S can p-off if they want an out of town development. I heard on WLR this morning that retail excellence Ireland is hopeful of a retail announcement in Waterford in next few months. Before the hopes, wishes and speculation start, please nobody suggest or hope for HMV :D

That's pretty cheeky, isn't it? Announcing all those jobs when they don't have planning, and when there's such resistance now in Limerick city to any more out-of-town shopping, given that the centre has been hollowed out by the Parkway, Crescent, and that one on Childers Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

fricatus wrote: »
    That's pretty cheeky, isn't it? Announcing all those jobs when they don't have planning, and when there's such resistance now in Limerick city to any more out-of-town shopping, given that the centre has been hollowed out by the Parkway, Crescent, and that one on Childers Road.

It's a tough balance between giving people what they want, and giving them what they need.

I mean, we all want to be able to get to shops comfortably from our homes. Out of town shopping certainly does that. Free parking, ease of access etc.

On the other hand, we don't want the city centre to turn into ghost towns either. The solution has to be either to make accessing the city centre easier via better public transport or more parking, or to encourage more residential developments around the city centre. That's not really an option right now, but depriving people who live in the subarbs of facilities isn't a great option either.

Definitely cheeky announcing jobs if they haven't already gained planning permission though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Jambo wrote: »
    ...where within the city though is free for a large retailer ?

Are you joking? There is a flippen great derelict area in the centre of the city just waiting to be developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

BBM77 wrote: »
    Are you joking? There is a flippen great derelict area in the centre of the city just waiting to be developed.

No im not joking, the newgate site is not going to be developed according to the developers recent comments in one of the local papers, they said however the may be considering a scaled down version, which will involve a new planning application and no doubt many delays just like the original application, before any building will commence.

Realistically imo assuming a new application is lodged in a few weeks it will be four or five years before any units may be available to potential retailers on that site hence my original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

Any update on that 'Big Retail Announcement' ? I'm dying to know what it might be.

Advertisement