Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drying/Dehydrating fruit

Options
  • 27-03-2012 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Usually have a lot of fruit going bad, apples/oranges/bananas and the like sitting in a bowl in the kitchen and then threw out when they get bad and replaced.

Is there an easy way to dry fruit so it will keep longer ? Anyone here do it themselves ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Have you ever tried making fruit leather? My friend used to make it and it's delicious. I think it keeps a long time too. This recipe only mentions apples and pears but I know you can make it with pretty much any fruit or berries. Just take out any pips or stones before liquidising.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/14156/fabulous-fruit-leather.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

An awful lot of sugar going into it though, can it be done without the sugar ya think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It can be dried out in an oven on a very low heat, a fan oven will dry it quicker. You can get dedicated dehyrators too.

The other simple option is to freeze it, then it can be used for smoothies. Best chop up large bits before freezing so it liquidises better. Also cools down the smoothie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

For apples just make it into apple sauce, chop into bits add a little bit of water and simmer it down to sauce. You could then use it in place of sugar in lots of baking!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭melatonin

you can get dehydrators on adverts.ie from time to time, i bought one fairly cheap on it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

melatonin wrote: »
    you can get dehydrators on adverts.ie from time to time, i bought one fairly cheap on it last year.

They work well ? Can ya put anything into them or just certain fruits ?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭melatonin

MungBean wrote: »
    They work well ? Can ya put anything into them or just certain fruits ?

yeah they work fine although i've only used it for a limited amount of things. You should be able to do most fruits, you just have to cut them very thinly. You can also do veg as well.

I bought mine on adverts for around €40, there's loadsa them up on ebay too just not sure how much delivery would be

Advertisement