Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for Moving To Australia

Options
  • 27-03-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Heya!

So I'm packing up, leaving the good old emerald isle and heading for australia in Sept 2012....first stop being Melbourne.. anyways.. Im wondering about a few things..

Do you really need a RSA course done if you'd like to work in bars over there ( I have a RSA done here but usit said it was useless in oz)

also.. what's the deal with short term (2-4 months) accommodation.. can anyone recommend a good website to find relatively cheap accommodation over there.. or recommend an area in Melbourne thats good for temporary rental accommodation?

Finally Any tips about anything Australia related would be a massive help!

Thank you! :-D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Yes, you really need an RSA to work in a bar. And there may be different rules in different states, it's not country wide. Check the different RSA sites for each state.
    In Australia any job that states it requires a cert, diploma, degree, white card etc etc DOES actually require it. There are no shortcuts. It may seem tedious but that is the system here.
    Some hostels do long stay like Ritz in St Kilda, ok if you don't mind sharing with other backpackers over a pub but can get you stuck in a rut. You can probably organize a flat share if you stay for 4 months I wouldn't be organising that now, you want to get a feel for the place you're going to live in.
    Come to Australia with an open mind, good work ethic and a curiosity for the country and it's people. It's your trip, make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,286 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You need and RSA for bar word. Often a RGS is required too as most bar will have TAB or pokie rooms. It's simple to get these, two 6 hour courses and about $200.

Check Gumtree for short term lease options.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

Mellor wrote: »
    You need and RSA for bar word. Often a RGS is required too as most bar will have TAB or pokie rooms. It's simple to get these, two 6 hour courses and about $200.

Check Gumtree for short term lease options.

whats tab ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jamiecoins wrote: »

It's sport betting system

http://www.tab.com.au/Racing/Default.aspx?State=2

• Registered Users Posts: 39,286 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jamiecoins wrote: »
    It's quite common in pubs to have a machine to place bets on various sports, its sync'd with the bookies. you don't have traditional bookmakers in australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

kenndy wrote: »
    Heya!

So I'm packing up, leaving the good old emerald isle and heading for australia in Sept 2012....first stop being Melbourne.. anyways.. Im wondering about a few things..

Do you really need a RSA course done if you'd like to work in bars over there ( I have a RSA done here but usit said it was useless in oz)

also.. what's the deal with short term (2-4 months) accommodation.. can anyone recommend a good website to find relatively cheap accommodation over there.. or recommend an area in Melbourne thats good for temporary rental accommodation?

Finally Any tips about anything Australia related would be a massive help!

Thank you! :-D

Yup you'll need an RSA, its $50 and takes four hours. Google it, its fairly easy to get.

If your coming to Melbourne Jackson apartments are pretty good. They do short term leases. They also don't require a bond (security deposit) and only ask for one weeks rent up front. You only need to give one weeks notice when you are leaving to get this back.

http://jacksonapartments.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kenndy

Wow! Thanks everyone for the tips!! I will probably do that RSA course ye all mentioned just to secure some work when I get there.
    As for the accommodation advise, St. Kilda and those jackson apartments seem to be exactly what I was looking for, cheers!

Ive also just wondering about securing jobs ( specifically in science/pharmaceutical companies) , Ive heard generally for professional positions within an industry employers in oz aren't too keen on taking on WHV holders because of the 6month restriction on work. Has anyone heard of this happening? and any advise on names or area's of Melbourne that have companies within this science industry?

Advertisement