Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expensive Rod Vs. Inexpensive Rod

Options
  • 27-03-2012 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

For many years, over fifteen, I had fished with a Daiwa Osprey 9ft, 4-6wt fly rod. It served me well in many situations. Some friends had suggested it had a very soft action but I had little experience with anything else and enjoyed using it. Recently, with a voucher on amazon going spare, I bought a cheap and cheerful 8ft 6inch fly rod and have found it much easier to cast in terms of its action and distance.

This has got me thinking. Perhaps, as I get back into more regular fishing, investing in a quality rod may add to my enjoyment considerably?

Any thoughts on how much is enough to spend on a quality rod? Would the difference between a rod for €100 and a rod for €200 plus be noticeable? Would it be justifiable?

All thoughts greatly appreciated as I ponder splurging my hard earned cash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

10 years ago I splurged 500 on a rod!!!!
    I would do the same in the morning but won't have to....
    Coz its the best
    I suppose that's the point its a lot of money but in terms of a life purchase well worth it as you won't be buying new rods every 5 years!!!
    It's a Loomis glx for the record
    awesome ......

For many years, over fifteen, I had fished with a Daiwa Osprey 9ft, 4-6wt fly rod. It served me well in many situations. Some friends had suggested it had a very soft action but I had little experience with anything else and enjoyed using it. Recently, with a voucher on amazon going spare, I bought a cheap and cheerful 8ft 6inch fly rod and have found it much easier to cast in terms of its action and distance.

This has got me thinking. Perhaps, as I get back into more regular fishing, investing in a quality rod may add to my enjoyment considerably?

Any thoughts on how much is enough to spend on a quality rod? Would the difference between a rod for €100 and a rod for €200 plus be noticeable? Would it be justifiable?

All thoughts greatly appreciated as I ponder splurging my hard earned cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 carlspackler

fisherking wrote: »
    Coz its the best
    I suppose that's the point its a lot of money but in terms of a life purchase well worth it as you won't be buying new rods every 5 years!!!
    awesome ......

Thanks for the reply. What sets it apart? Is it the performance, aesthetics or something else?

The aesthetics of a rod don't overly concern me but if I thought the performance would significantly improve the quality of presentation of fly, then I would consider going the extra mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

The glx looks rubbish...
    It's merely a joy to behold!

fisherking wrote: »
    Coz its the best
    awesome ......

Thanks for the reply. What sets it apart? Is it the performance, aesthetics or something else?

The aesthetics of a rod don't overly concern me but if I thought the performance would significantly improve the quality of presentation of fly, then I would consider going the extra mile.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The looks of a top rod are usually beautiful, but it must be said that many middle range rods (that cost half as much) are also lovely looking things to hold. However looks are only a pert of the deal. The performance is what makes it worth the added cost over a lower range rod.

At several points in your fishing career, there comes a point when you have developed your abilities, and suddenly the rod becomes the thing which is holding you back (only a little) and failing to inspire you (extremely important).
    Get yourself a better rod as soon as you recognise this.

You will be reminded what it is, every single time you cast, a magic fairy wand, smooth and just right, perfect for the job, and your fishing will become even more enjoyable. Then once again you become the weakest link, and can get back to the never ending learning process that is at the heart of fishing, and all the while using lovely fly casting tools.

I would also add:
    Don't get carried away with the american fashion for fast action fly rods. Competition rods for fishing is already fading.
    Also the dearest brand is not necessarily the best. Many upper mid range makers have one they are particularly proud of in their range.
    The European rods have a different action which is nice, but many of them are lightweight lough fishing rods adapted to river nymphing with little line on the water.

In many things the middle way is a good way to go, and fly fishing is no exception.
    I believe that a medium action rod is more pleasing to use under average conditions, and my fast action rods are extreme tools for distance, power, and not necessarily all that pleasant, but I still use them for a few purposes.
    More of the time, for me I'm casting an sub-€200 mid-range 10' 6" #6 for stillwater use.

I indulged myself in a Bruce & Walker 9' 6" #3-5 for river use. And many years later is still an absolute pleasure to cast with and play fish on.
    If there is a place for delicacy and nice rods, it's daylight river fishingfor big wild trout. If you do that kind of fishing, I recommend that you allocate more of your budget there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Remember that alot of top end fly rods come with a unconditional lifetime warranty against damage or breakage. It's an investment.

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    The looks of a top rod are usually beautiful, but it must be said that many middle range rods (that cost half as much) are also lovely looking things to hold. However looks are only a pert of the deal. The performance is what makes it worth the added cost over a lower range rod.

At several points in your fishing career, there comes a point when you have developed your abilities, and suddenly the rod becomes the thing which is holding you back (only a little) and failing to inspire you (extremely important).
    Get yourself a better rod as soon as you recognise this.

You will be reminded what it is, every single time you cast, a magic fairy wand, smooth and just right, perfect for the job, and your fishing will become even more enjoyable. Then once again you become the weakest link, and can get back to the never ending learning process that is at the heart of fishing, and all the while using lovely fly casting tools.

I would also add:
    Don't get carried away with the american fashion for fast action fly rods. Competition rods for fishing is already fading.
    Also the dearest brand is not necessarily the best. Many upper mid range makers have one they are particularly proud of in their range.
    The European rods have a different action which is nice, but many of them are lightweight lough fishing rods adapted to river nymphing with little line on the water.

In many things the middle way is a good way to go, and fly fishing is no exception.
    I believe that a medium action rod is more pleasing to use under average conditions, and my fast action rods are extreme tools for distance, power, and not necessarily all that pleasant, but I still use them for a few purposes.
    More of the time, for me I'm casting an sub-€200 mid-range 10' 6" #6 for stillwater use.

I indulged myself in a Bruce & Walker 9' 6" #3-5 for river use. And many years later is still an absolute pleasure to cast with and play fish on.
    If there is a place for delicacy and nice rods, it's daylight river fishingfor big wild trout. If you do that kind of fishing, I recommend that you allocate more of your budget there.

Thanks Coolwings for your generous advice. Much appreciated.

The majority of my fishing will be on smaller rivers, where delicacy is of utmost importance. Though I would like a rod that would be able to cope with some still water work from time to time. With that in mind I have settled on the idea of a 9ft 5wt rod.

At one end of the scale I am considering rods such as the Guideline Exp4/Greys GS2/Greys GRXI/Wychwood Truefly SLA. I'm quite happy to spend this amount. Most of these I believe have a medium to fast action.

The thing that concerned me was would it be worth spending significantly more, would I be guaranteeing myself further enjoyment? (If my significant other finds out I bought a Hardy Sintrix, I may need it surgically removed...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

The thing that concerned me was would it be worth spending significantly more, would I be guaranteeing myself further enjoyment? (If my significant other finds out I bought a Hardy Sintrix, I may need it surgically removed...)

But you can get a good rod without spending significantly more.

The hardy marksman was discounted recently by 50% as they are being discontinued, and you might be able to get one half price.
    A rod well worth looking at and you get the guarantee etc.
    I have not tried the sintrix, saw them at a show and they look good but to me way too expensive for me.

Don't discount a good second hand rod, often way better option than a inferior quality new one.

But you can get a good rod without spending significantly more.

The hardy marksman was discounted recently by 50% as they are being discontinued, and you might be able to get one half price.
    A rod well worth looking at and you get the guarantee etc.
    I have not tried the sintrix, saw them at a show and they look good but to me way too expensive for me.

Don't discount a good second hand rod, often way better option than a inferior quality new one.

To be honest I have no intention of spending that kind of money on a rod.

The thing that would be of great value would be somewhere you could try a series of rods, fully set up and room to cast a line. Does anyone know of anywhere that has that kind of set up? I certainly haven't come across such a place.

With some regret, I have decided to keep on with the Diawa Osprey. Took it out again last weekend just for old times sake. Been a year since I fished with it after a time spent with a more modern rod, albeit a cheap one.

The Diawa has a very soft action(a through action I think?). 16 years fishing with it, it took a sebatical to realise how great it is! I can flop a fly down lovely anywhere from 5 to 25 yards. I won't win any casting competitions with it but I can pop it under tree's and bushes from anywhere, which is what river fishing is all about i think.

It took advice from you guys, coolwings especially, to realise that the grass isn't always greener.

Advertisement