Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine course

• 27-03-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Not sure if this is in the correct place but here it goes. I am interested in doing a wine appreciation course just to learn a little bit about different wines, I have looked at what is available but the only one that I can see with any sort of recognition at the end of t is 'WSET Level 2 Intermediate Certificate in Wines & Spirits' has anyone any information about this course, is it worth doing or is their any other course that are available that are worth doing. This course is a little expensive even for the time that we are in at the moment. Any help with this would be great.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 winefan

Hiya,

Not sure that a recognised wine course is the way to go for you or anyone else. The courses are not bad but they are expensive and you only taste run-of-the-mill wines. The reason for that is that they are designed for the wine trade so the wines are always the best sellers by volume rather than by value for money.

There are some very good wine appreciation courses out there at the moment. La Cave Wine Bar run a good course and the lecturers are very entertaining.

Also, I'd strongly suggest you take a gander at the website of Dublin Wine School (www.dublinwineschool.ie). I must confess that I attended one of their courses a few years ago and was very impressed by the quality of the wines tasted. Some were very expensive. I asked at the time how the lecturer (Nigel) such good ones and he said that the wines were bought years earlier for a fairly inexpensive price. It worth checking out the latest Blog entry on the website as it lists the wines tasted for the last One Day Course. One of the wines sells for over 80 euros!

Mitchells wines courses are worth it too but really only to get another point of view. The courses are very old school (I like that, I confess) and you certainly go away with a great appreciation of good sherry. Very festive at the moment.

I haven't attended any of the courses of Premier wine training but I met someone who did one earlier this year and she described it as 'quite corporate'.

If you really want to do a WSET course, check out www.wset.co.uk which lists all the Irish agents for them.

Advertisement