Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some info - Mature Student BSc Computer Science Questions

Options
  • 27-03-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm 21 and planning on either repeating Leaving Cert maths or doing Computer Science in Griffith College - Fetac Lvl 6 - through Springboard. My problem is that I'd scored an A1 in Foundation maths when I'd done my LC. I don't know what came over me but a lack of direction was certainly part of it.

The plan so far is to do a course or repeat come this September and return as a mature student the following September. As a mature student I won't have to worry about the points.

Essentially, my question is 'How do I get from A to B''. Social welfails is covering my ass for the time being, and minimum wage work isn't where I want to be. I'm dying to get back in to education - I spent the entire day in the sun with the missus out in UCD, so I can tell you I already like the atmosphere.

Also, in case anyone might wonder why I'd choose such a difficult subject: I'd grown up with a strong background in computers, which was stunted by living in the countryside and having no broadband access. I love being around them and tinkering with them. I can't imagine following a career in anything else, other than maybe a cadetship with the military.

Also, I'll be eligible to study as a mature student in Sept 2013, right? I'm 23 before the start of 2014 so I should be eligible. Someone had said that I'd have to wait until the following year, but I'm pretty sure its turning 23 before Jan 1st of that academic year.

Oh, and just so no one thinks I'm posting in the wrong thread - I'd hoped to study at UCD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BarneyTrouble

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/applying_to_college/third_level_courses_for_mature_students.html

*Generally,you are considered to be a mature student if you are at least 23 years of age on January 1 of the year you enter your course. If you are interested in a particular college you should check how it defines a mature student.

While you might not need the points you will probably need a B in Ordinary Maths. I think there might only be 1-2 mature students who dont have that grade and they would have industry experience.

To apply as a mature student to UCD you just fill out the CAO form, there are extra sections for goals/motivations etc. What you typed above should do you right with a bit of padding.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BarneyTrouble

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

I'm a current fourth year in the Computer Science course you're talking about. I would highly recommend that you do some sort of maths course before entering a Computer Science degree. The leaving cert's Ordinary paper would be sufficient (It's what I did).

Statistics (Analysis) , Probability (Analysis / Algorithm design), Calculus (Algorithms), Logarithms (Efficiency of Algorithms), Algebra (Everything), Geometry (Games + more), Trigonometry (Games + more) and more have direct application to Computer Science and related topics.

You don't have to be the best in the world at maths but it's very, very important to be familiar with all of the above areas otherwise you will have serious problems completing CS in UCD or any other University teaching it to a high level.

If you're interested in getting a head start on Computer Science the following book is amazing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Algorithms-T-Cormen/dp/0262533057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332957974&sr=8-1

If you need any further info on the course in UCD feel free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JackOfAllTrade

Hey, thanks a million. I was also recommended some of K.A. Stroud if I wanted to brush up on the maths - his stuff might be of some use to you.

Algebra was always a doss for me. Abstract math is fine; my problem was always remembering formulae.

Also thinking of doing a few of those IT FAS courses barneytrouble linked to keep me busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EmptySnail

You could try UCD's access to science & engineering course. If you pass the course, you're guaranteed entry to certain courses as a mature sudent. I went through that a few years ago. The maths guy is an excellent teacher, and he goes through a lot of the stuff you need in the maths for engineering module.

• Advertisement
Advertisement