Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Application After Dropping Out

Options
  • 27-03-2012 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wanted to ask for some advice.

I've been thinking about going back to college, and I've been trying to get myself up to speed on how to do it. I've got two questions.

Is a late application likely to make it any harder to get accepted to my course? Or is it just a case of paying the extra 60 Euro fee?

Second question is what's really bothering me. A few years back I did the first year of a college course. Towards the end, I'd really grown to dislike the subject and wanted to drop out. But I decided to stick out the exams and see what happened. Unsurprisingly, I failed. So I left after that, but what concerns me is I didn't "officially" leave the course. The CAO site tells me I'll need to send a Certificate of Attendance with my postal documents. Will I have any trouble getting one? Is there anyone in particular I need to contact about it?

Thanks in advance!
    (If I have any more clueless questions, I'll dump them in this thread, rather than cluttering the forum's main page! :pac:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Hey, just wanted to ask for some advice.

I've been thinking about going back to college, and I've been trying to get myself up to speed on how to do it. I've got two questions.

Is a late application likely to make it any harder to get accepted to my course? Or is it just a case of paying the extra 60 Euro fee?

Second question is what's really bothering me. A few years back I did the first year of a college course. Towards the end, I'd really grown to dislike the subject and wanted to drop out. But I decided to stick out the exams and see what happened. Unsurprisingly, I failed. So I left after that, but what concerns me is I didn't "officially" leave the course. The CAO site tells me I'll need to send a Certificate of Attendance with my postal documents. Will I have any trouble getting one? Is there anyone in particular I need to contact about it?

Thanks in advance!
    (If I have any more clueless questions, I'll dump them in this thread, rather than cluttering the forum's main page! :pac:)

A late application won't affect your chances of getting accepted to a course.

I also left my course after a year - I did the exams but never officially dropped out. I rang the college this year and asked about getting the certificate. They didn't have a problem sending it out to me so definitely ring your college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Cool, that's a major relief to hear. I'll give the college a bell tomorrow and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

May as well ask while the thread's here: will I need to send a copy of my LC results? I'm not applying as a mature student but I've been finished school for a few years now, if it makes a difference. I'm reading through the CAO Handbook at the moment, but I haven't seen it mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

May as well ask while the thread's here: will I need to send a copy of my LC results? I'm not applying as a mature student but I've been finished school for a few years now, if it makes a difference. I'm reading through the CAO Handbook at the moment, but I haven't seen it mentioned.

I don't think you need to, as far as I remember when you sign up to the CAO you're asked for the year you did your LC and your LC number (The number you used on all your exam papers) for that year. Hopefully that's right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bumblebee Man

I'm in the same situation. Registered on the CAO before Christmas but wanted to make sure everything's in place. Will send a quick few emails around to CAO and my old Uni etc.

What other documents need to be sent?

• Advertisement
Advertisement