Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEASON 15 - RUGBY RUMBLE XV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

cclampett wrote: »
    if you have strong enough players you could win anything by pure luck, and he has a few very strong players,and mauling bear was likely caught off guard
    on average fetch has a stronger side, and has been the most frustrating team i've ever played - could get close in match ratings (higher intensity) but not on the board
    so if he beats fingal bears i'll eat my shoe

Ah yeah, but whereas Warrior Midgets have maybe 7 real beasts, Mauling Bear have a full 15 of them, and they both played on normal. I assume it was MB caught on the hop, but it wasn't a case of WNWIM and the YA.
    I'm hoping Fetch beats them and proves that you can't just buy your team and succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭cclampett

sure i made a complete balls of my energy levels and still came pretty close with them last season

sure i made a complete balls of my energy levels and still came pretty close with them last season

True. It's actually mostly down to the way the fixtures are setup. Midgets had the easier teams first, added to the win over Mauling Bear, made them look damn scary (plus their massive CSR!) but, they lost to Stab, they lost to me and they'll probably lose to Fingal Bears, so, you could see them ending up outside of the playoffs alright.

... having said that, they'll probably see this and make a concentrated effort to mince me next time! :D

just make sure ye get stab relegated b4 ye start to pay too much attention to midgets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I miss being in a league with other boards. don't think there are any in my league. also quite boring so far, only one team matching me win for win and similar scoring so we'll see when I play them.

Kinda miss the worrying and the scouting when in Div II. in DIV III i mostly throw out seconds or mixture and normal or WNWIM. firsts played in cup at ltnt there for the first time last week.

think I will ignore league until tail end of season as sure to get top four and save energy for cup and go hell for leather! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

eoferrall wrote: »
    I miss being in a league with other boards. don't think there are any in my league. also quite boring so far, only one team matching me win for win and similar scoring so we'll see when I play them.

Kinda miss the worrying and the scouting when in Div II. in DIV III i mostly throw out seconds or mixture and normal or WNWIM. firsts played in cup at ltnt there for the first time last week.

think I will ignore league until tail end of season as sure to get top four and save energy for cup and go hell for leather! :D

I'm starting to get board sitting in div.III for what seems like ages now, dont quite have the players yet for div.II but I'm gonna try promote this or the next. I have some funds built up and im scouring the transfer market for a few good 100k+ CSR players that are under 26ish

just make sure ye get stab relegated b4 ye start to pay too much attention to midgets

It's going to be hard to relegate Stab when there's a bot in the league. Plus Stab are getting easy wins over the smaller teams. In order to relegate them, not only will the smaller teams need to beat them, but they'll also have to deal with Warrior Midgets and/or get a scalp from me,Fetch of Mauling Bears.
    bossa_nova wrote: »
    I'm starting to get board sitting in div.III for what seems like ages now, dont quite have the players yet for div.II but I'm gonna try promote this or the next. I have some funds built up and im scouring the transfer market for a few good 100k+ CSR players that are under 26ish

Yeah, when you start becoming part of the furniture the urge to move up grows like crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

woohoo! 2 front rowers in the u20 squad at the moment. love those little Irish flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Anyone else sick to death of the whole NT/Greyhound debacle that simply keeps giving.

Its pretty much turned me off following the actual games and caring. Im gearing towards a S20 trainee at minute but i think he'll be my last UTP/NT trainee for while.

All efforts will turn to a cup win and Div 1 title over next few seasons.

it's like a bloody circus. I just ignore it all. have not read the threads on it on the club lounge.

I am training a romanian prop currently - was going to keep him and in 3 seasons make him available to irish u20, but now couldn't really care. so this impacts upon JP and future U20/NT managers.

Just ignore it, least it's not like real life where players can be ruined. Once a decent manager gets back in an instant revival of results will be seen thankfully. but the u20 damage is going to be more longterm.

• Advertisement

Nah minds made up now. Another factor was since my first trainee (in S8 i think it was) ive butted heads with the elected managers about training. I have my own notions of player targets and also dont like being told what to do :D. At least with JP this time there wasnt much compromise needed as our player goals were about 90% similar.

ah I for my one successful trainee and one potential (that just didn't make the cut) i've trained heavily for my team first and foremost. i'll take suggestions on board if made, but i decide the training as it's my player.

I'm going to continue training players - if they are wanted for the U20's well and good if not they will continue improving my team. that is how I look at it.

Sure you've the boards cup to focus on too! :cool:

Sure you've the boards cup to focus on too! :cool:

Ahhhh ya, the boards cup....i left. I won div 1 last season winning every game and getting try bonus point in every game also. Was great to have the perfect record but the only way to improve is by playing better teams then mine so i left.

My teams most significant evolutions have all come from defeats. Thats why i requested to play the Ruffians for last seasons interpros, a game which i learned from. Unfortunately i wasnt learning much in the boards cup except the impact of FOTG for that season!

Still, i do miss it.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    It's going to be hard to relegate Stab when there's a bot in the league. Plus Stab are getting easy wins over the smaller teams. In order to relegate them, not only will the smaller teams need to beat them, but they'll also have to deal with Warrior Midgets and/or get a scalp from me,Fetch of Mauling Bears.
    ah yup, forgot about the bot, the other relegation zone team looks very weak as well, its a tough ask now for your team to get out the top door, so ye just have to hope that the newbs in S16 are either strong enough, or that stab declines enough.

i have another stab in canada, but this one plays a crazy lineup with guys in terrible positions, he'd probably survive in the div2 on autopilot if it was set to the correct positions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

ive butted heads with the elected managers about training. I have my own notions of player targets and also dont like being told what to do :D.

Amen to that. I remember getting a private message ordering me to divulge my players stats and to stand by for instruction. No please, thank you, how's your ma etc. Told him to go **** himself!:D

Not the current management of course.

Ahhhh ya, the boards cup....i left. I won div 1 last season winning every game and getting try bonus point in every game also. Was great to have the perfect record but the only way to improve is by playing better teams then mine so i left.

My teams most significant evolutions have all come from defeats. Thats why i requested to play the Ruffians for last seasons interpros, a game which i learned from. Unfortunately i wasnt learning much in the boards cup except the impact of FOTG for that season!

Still, i do miss it.

Yeah I know you left - but hoping in a season or two we will have teams developed to match you...and you can come back and be beaten around the place like a dog toying with a small doll!:p

Yeah I know you left - but hoping in a season or two we will have teams developed to match you...and you can come back and be beaten around the place like a dog toying with a small doll!:p

Il hold you to that :D

Cup game couldnt be closer tonight, il definitely be watching it. Looks like he has gone with aggressive discipline so hopefully il get plenty of penalties and not turnover much ball. The excitement of the cup!!

overall only 1 star between myself and Killarney - hopefully home advantage pushes me over the line!!!

Cup over or cup run continue? who knows!! 90mins to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Very comfortable for me looking at the stars. I wish I rested a few more players really.

Win tonight and I've equalled my best cup run!

• Advertisement

Ah christ, 5m scrum to me on my try line and instead of kicking it clear my guys decide to run it!....he didnt get far.

Boo - boring rest of season now until the playoffs! :(

Away to Louisburgh in next round. Now thats gonna be a tough ask especially seen he used to regularly trounce me in div 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

corny wrote: »
    Amen to that. I remember getting a private message ordering me to divulge my players stats and to stand by for instruction. No please, thank you, how's your ma etc. Told him to go **** himself!:D

Not the current management of course.

Probably a generic mail sent to loads of managers so I wouldn't say it was anything personal.One thing I have noticed is that Ireland is falling far behind when it comes to training, people just don't seem as willing as other countries to get an NT level player. (I'm shocked how Canada with a handful of managers can consistently operate in the top 5, everything seems NT focused here) for Ireland.... I think once the current crop of Dutch trained players fall off the radar Ireland will probably be EU2 standard (good 1st team but no reserves at all in training) The French, Italians, Welsh and Scottish seem to have a good collection of NT Trainers at the moment.

corny wrote: »
    Amen to that. I remember getting a private message ordering me to divulge my players stats and to stand by for instruction. No please, thank you, how's your ma etc. Told him to go **** himself!:D.

Hah, yeah, not the way to get things done I reckon.

It is my life goal.
    Phonehead wrote: »
    Probably a generic mail sent to loads of managers so I wouldn't say it was anything personal.One thing I have noticed is that Ireland is falling far behind when it comes to training, people just don't seem as willing as other countries to get an NT level player. (I'm shocked how Canada with a handful of managers can consistently operate in the top 5, everything seems NT focused here) for Ireland.... I think once the current crop of Dutch trained players fall off the radar Ireland will probably be EU2 standard (good 1st team but no reserves at all in training) The French, Italians, Welsh and Scottish seem to have a good collection of NT Trainers at the moment.

What's needed to solve the problem? Are people just laying off training the NT players because they're going for a more rounded team?

Fewcifur wrote: »
    What's needed to solve the problem? Are people just laying off training the NT players because they're going for a more rounded team?

Yeah lots willing to train U20 players as this benefits team but to train on a player to 200k+ takes commitment and can adversely impact your team.

Also I think a main part of it is that the Dutch were the most advanced teams, had level 5 training etc. we're only recently getting lots of teams with lvl5. and I know I am using it to get my team up to scratch.

Once I have a star player I might continue training him, but my u20's were always squad players (if making it) so never bothered putting in effort to get to NT level.

I know I had one starting player in the U20 for the WC last season and I was still debating training him on until week 1 or 2 of this season.

But as eoferrall said, with my team as a div II struggler I decided that getting my squad up to scratch is more important for now.

It's a huge commitment to go further than U20 although I know I'll have the debate again with my current 137kg trainee. Looking at the offsite there is essentially another squad being trained on though (judging purely by number of threads in the section) and with the slow turnover in the NT it may be enough to keep things ticking for a while. No idea how it compares though to others.

Have High Voltage at home in round 8 of the cup, may well be the cup-run-ender but will have to give it a lash I think!

Just annoyed that I didn't play 2nds or wnwim the cup this round, I won by a bot score as they threw the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

nt team is big commitment id love to see the stats on what div the majority are in, i cant see many div.1 and 2 managers training higher that u20s due mainly to 7 seasons of training and for those 7 seasons there pretty useless sue to energy

• Advertisement

seanand wrote: »
    nt team is big commitment id love to see the stats on what div the majority are in, i cant see many div.1 and 2 managers training higher that u20s due mainly to 7 seasons of training and for those 7 seasons there pretty useless sue to energy

If I can get to the stage where my trainee isn't also my star player while still an U20 I'll probably train him on. But I need to improve my general squad first to cope with missing one of my better players regularly and deal with div II.

Edit: Quick look at div 1 and most have 1-2 NT players while others have former NT players.

Advertisement